Walking Among Humans

By TLPhillips

What could be worse than finding out you're not human? How about finding out that half of your kind, includin... More

Author Note
Chapter 1 - Part 1
Chapter 1 - Part 2
Chapter 2 - Part 1
Chapter 2 - Part 2
Chapter 3 - Part 1
Chapter 3 - Part 2
Chapter 4 - Part 1
Chapter 4 - Part 2
Chapter 5 - Part 1
Chapter 5 - Part 2
Chapter 6 - Part 1
Chapter 6 - Part 2
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 - Part 1
Chapter 8 - Part 2
Chapter 8 - Part 3
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 - Part 1
Chapter 13 - Part 1
Chapter 13 - Part 2
Chapter 14 - Part 1
Chapter 14 - Part 2
Chapter 15 - Part 1
Chapter 15 - Part 2
Chapter 16 - Part 1
Chapter 16 - Part 2
Chapter 17 - Part 1
Chapter 17 - Part 2
Chapter 18 - Part 1
Chapter 18 - Part 2
Chapter 19 - Part 1
Chapter 19 - Part 2
Chapter 20 - Part 1
Chapter 20 - Part 2
Chapter 21 - Part 1
Chapter 21 - Part 2
Thank You!

Chapter 12 - Part 2

7 1 0
By TLPhillips

It doesn't take long for John to shoot the idea down. "Thought of that, it won't work. The equalizer would affect us without a doubt, but since we have never had an equalizer within range of a Nukpana we can't be sure it would have any effect on them. Which means it could very well backfire on us and make Abaddon's work that much easier. We need full control of all variables involved if we are going to have any chance of winning."

Several minutes pass before Johnson speaks. "Mona has seen their plans, right? Why not have her show us access points and give us the numbers expected at each one? That way when they do come we can be ready and waiting. We would have several advantages, making success a lot more likely."

This piques both Ben and John's interest. "What kind of advantages?"

"First, we have the home field advantage. We know every nook and cranny of this place. We can make our way around in the dark. They have never been inside, so they would be at a significant disadvantage. Second, we would have the element of surprise in our favor. They have no idea we know their plans, they don't expect us to be waiting for them. Finally, and probably most beneficial for us, we know how many are coming in at each location, so enough guardians can be sent to each site to outnumber them."

Everyone is mulling over this seemingly perfect strategy when Martinez returns with the food. She carries the box Lois sent down over to where we are sitting and sets it down on the coffee table. We all start grabbing stuff out of the box like a bunch of starving heathens.

Ben returns to the couch with his food. "What took so long?"

"Lois insisted I sit and eat because, and I quote, 'Those four will be like a pack of wild, ravenous wolves and they'll leave nothing behind for you.'" She looks in the box and chuckles. We had, in fact, emptied the box of everything remotely edible.

Feeling slightly guilty that I hadn't thought of her, I offer up my bowl of pickled eyeballs, my favorite side dish. She assures me she had plenty to eat before she came back. Lois made sure of that.

Pleasantries out of the way, we all start eating. I unwrap my fried cow heart sandwich and take a bite.

"It won't work."

Johnson stiffens. "What won't work?"

"Your strategy."

Johnson becomes very defensive. "Why not?"

"Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent strategy. It just won't work against Abaddon right now. I've seen it. They will kill the biggest threats and any nonessential people they come across first. That is, any males or anyone that is obviously older than I am or far too young to be me."

I take another bite of my sandwich and a sip of water. "Once Abaddon is sure that a given female is not me, he'll have her killed as well."

We finish our meal in silence, once again pondering possible options. It's almost time for me to reveal my plan. I have to make sure they are out of ideas and are willing to listen to something outrageous.

I get up and retrieve the last five bottles of water that housekeeping keeps stocked. I return and hand everyone a fresh bottle before sitting back down.

I'm still not quite ready to reveal my plan – I have a few contingencies I am struggling to work out. So I decide to make a little small talk. "John, can you please have housekeeping leave some extra water tomorrow? These are our last bottles."

"The housekeeping staff has been evacuated already, but I'll have someone bring some up after we're done tonight."

"Great, thanks."

The room once again falls silent as everyone contemplates strategies. Occasionally someone starts to say something, finds a flaw, and abandons the thought.

I sit on the couch and watch my companions as they struggle to find an acceptable strategy. I lean back and close my eyes. I'm exhausted. I am tired a lot lately. Must be the constant energy drain from using my traits.

Nobody has said anything in a while.

It's time.

I open my eyes and bolt forward. "I got it!"

Everyone turns their attention to me and waits for me to explain. I have to admit it's nice to have people eager to hear what I have to say.

"Use me as bait."

Their eyes all go wide and they stare at me. Everyone except Ben appears to be too surprised to say anything.

Ben jumps up off the couch and starts yelling. "Oh hell no! You have lost your damn mind if you think, even for a second, that I will stand by and watch you do this. I can't even believe you would suggest something as outrageously stupid as this."

I have to do something to calm him down before he ties me up and locks me away somewhere.

"I'm not saying let them take me, Ben. Calm down."

John's shock wears off. "Excuse me?"

"I said use-"

John interrupts me. "I know what you said. What I don't know is why you thought we'd go along with it."

I am still working on the details. I hope they might be able to give me some ideas. "I have a plan I think will draw Abaddon and his goons out in a way that would benefit us."

John is apprehensive. "How dangerous is it?"

I know what he is asking, but everyone needs to hear the answer. "For who?"

"For everyone."

I know he is more worried about me and Ben. The guardians can handle themselves. It's what they've been trained to do.

"If all goes according to plan, it's no more dangerous for me than sitting here in this room waiting for him to find me. As for the guardians, well, they are still going to have to fight the Nukpana. They'll just be on the offensive side rather than the defensive."

* * *

Ben

I stare at them in disbelief. "How can you even consider this, Dad?"

I can't understand why he isn't as upset about the idea as I am. Doesn't he care what happens to her?

"I'm doing this, Ben. With or without you. I'd prefer it if you were with me though." It's clear nobody is going to side with me, so I sit down next to Mona. While I'm not at all happy about this, she seems pretty set on doing it.

"I know you're upset about this. I'm not exactly looking forward to it either, but I like the idea of innocent lives being cut short for no reason even less."

She gives us a brief overview of her plan. Nobody says anything until she is finished.

My dad seems to agree with her logic. "And you think this will work?"

"Yes. And I think it's our best option."

I am a bit more skeptical. "Have you seen it work?"

"Not exactly, no. But I'm confident that it will. Since it's me he wants, if he thinks I'm willing then maybe he'll see no reason to hurt anyone else."

Before another argument can break out, Dad stands up. "Let me talk to the other guardians and see if they can come up with anything better. We have twenty-four hours to decide and work out the details. You should all make sure you get a good night's sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

"I think Dad's right. I think we should all get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for all of us."

Martinez stands up and starts collecting the dishes from dinner. "I'll clean this up. You guys go on to bed."

"Thanks. Make sure you all get some sleep too."

I take Mona by the hand and lead her to her bedroom. She starts rummaging through her dresser and pulls out a pair of pajamas.

"I'll wait outside. Let me know when you're done."

She nods and I step out into the living room.

Several minutes later she opens the door and sticks her head out. "Goodnight, everyone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 110 24
Y/N Swan was an adopted Daughter of Charlie Swan, She's kind, curious, stubborn, adventurous, compassionate, and courageous. But everything change...
293 2 17
"With my super Speed I zoomed past the people not differentiating who are the bad ones and who are the good ones knocking down whoever came in my way...
106K 6K 40
Pearl Blankenship, an autistic investigative journalist, witnesses the end of the world. Before the nuclear fallout can kill her, a mysterious being...
118K 1.8K 40
OK, guys sorry that if I have to do this again, that one story I wrote 2 days ago was wack for me, but I'm sure, I mean 100% that this story will be...