My Hero

By Alexsis-Garcia

Barbara Gordon never wished for any of this; the secrets, the lies she told to her police commissioner father... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Extra- Jason Todd

Chapter 7

262 13 32
By Alexsis-Garcia

"This is not just all in your head,
Mind over matter makes these things feel so real."

Gotham City
September 12 03:45 EDT

Then...

Barbara woke with a start. Her hands shook, as sweat caked her body. She panted slightly, afraid if she stopped, her heart would too.

She blinked, glancing around the room she stayed in Wayne manor.

She breathed in, trying to calm herself.

A knock at her door made her turn. Her mentor walked in. He would be the only one able to hear her screams at night. It had happened for several nights prior. Every single one, a battle between reality and fiction.

"Barbara?" Her mentor asked slightly to gain her attention.

"The fear gas..." She merely said. And instantly Bruce nodded and left to gather some things.

When he returned, he had a syringe in hand. "Scarecrow's fear gas isn't as strong as the one I produced to test on you. So, if you get through it without a hitch, you can become immune to his."

Barbara nodded, remembering the hours of conversation they had a few days prior. She held out her arm.

Bruce placed the syringe down, "But that doesn't mean, I don't care about your safety Barbara. You had another glitch with it, didn't you."

Barbara turned her head away from him. "It's still the same. Everyone dies, except me." She said.

Bruce sighed, "Maybe we should stop the testing."

Her head whipped around, her eyes wide, "No."

Bruce was startled at her response, "Too much can kill you Barbara."

"It doesn't matter, you chose me for this because of how I'm able to remember so well. How I have eidetic  memory." She said, her eyes dared him to stop. To stop the testing, and let his own children, in way, become lost in that fear gas.

Bruce sighed, "Okay, I'll give you the serum, you know what happens next."

She nodded, "Yes." She laid back down and waiting for the piercing stinging on her arm, before closing her eyes again.

She felt the serum course through her body. It was comforting in a way, the familiar feeling of it made her nearly at ease. That was if she didn't hear the shrill scream that came from Jason's own lips.

Her eyes snapped open at an instant. She turned to see Jason strapped to a chair. His Robin costume was torn in several places, his face bloody and his hair hung lowly.

'Oh god.' She wanted to leave, she didn't want to watch this. She knew exactly what would happen.

A creaking door made her turn, the clicking sounds of shoes echoed in the empty room.

"Hello Boy Blunder." A cackling laugh filled the air. A sense of dread eased its way into Barbara's body. She wanted to scream, but like always she was only a Spector, watching everything, yet unable to do anything.

"Let see how long it takes for Bats to find you, shall we?" Joker asked, his face was marred with scars, yet that wasn't what terrified even the bravest hearts. His smile.

His smile always scarred each person, along with the crazed light in his eyes, it was hard for anyone to keep calm in his mere presence. 

She didn't try to hide her own presence, she knew it would be futile.

He picked up the crowbar. Barbara wanted to shut her eyes, to silence the upcoming screams. Yet at that moment her body froze, leaving her to stare at Jason straight in the eyes.

The sounds of each hit echoed in her mind, already the image had renewed itself. A gurgling sound emitted from
Jason's lips. Blood poured over his teeth and mouth. He tried to breathe, yet blood had managed to close off. He grunted as a punch hit his chest.

"No screams? Guess I'll have to work on that..." Joker eyed Jason, the crazed look in his eyes growing.

He grabbed a branding rod, at the sight Barbara began to tear up.

"We can't let the dog leave without making sure the dog is shown as ours." He said chuckling at his own words.

Jason squirmed in the chair, trying to escape. Barbara shut her eyes, just as the rod landed on his thigh. His screams filled the air, forever etched in Barbara's mind.

The scene changed finally. She stood as she saw Tim dangling from the ropes tied to his hands. His hair covering his face.

The Joker walked in holding a metal bat. Again Barbara stood helpless. She could barely find any strength to watch.

The bat broke his ribs, his arms, his legs, nearly everything. Yet Tim held on to his life, fighting against Joker's cruel games. He spat a bit of blood onto the ground, a stain nearly in the grotesque form of a bat. The irony only wanted to wedge its way into Barbara's throat.

"Amazing, you really did train this one better then the last! Jason was nothing compared to this one." He spoke to the camera recording the scene. He gave his signature smile before turning to Tim again. He grabbed hold of his neck, tying a rope around it. Barbara desperately wanted to close her eyes, watching a kid being hanged was something she didn't want to see, Joker pulled the other side of the rope, and Barbara watched as Tim's life was snatched away from him.

Her heart nearly tore at the sight of him, the reddened bat symbol on the ground taunted her slightly. She was Batgirl, she should've done something!

The scene changed again, this time Bruce. His cowl missing, his classic wolf glare trained on the green-haired clown in front of him. He was chained down on his knees, his wrist were chained, but when he tired to lunge at the clown, the chains would remind him of the footage between. Even from the distance, Barbara could see just how bruised and battered Bruce actually was. His lip was torn, he was sporting a black eye, and his labored breathing helped her connect the dots and find that he had a few broken ribs. Barbara walked forward, and this would be the part she would hate.

The Joker would turn and see her, hidden in the shadows. Bruce would see her too, his eyes widening as he took her appearance. Her matted red-hair that was stained with blood. How pale she looked. Then Joker would hand her the gun, like always, expecting her to shoot her own mentor.

He leaned over near her ear, "He betrayed you, made you hurt Richard." He gently brushed back the hair that threatened to cover the torn look on her features. "He made Richard leave, thanks to him there are children risking their lives to help him right the wrong in the world. And missy, you and I both know that this war..." He gestured between himself and Bruce. "It's endless, there will always be evil, just as there always will be good. And he can't expect to change everything in less than 10 years."

He grabbed her hand, placing the handgun and pushed her foreword. Her body stumbled, the pretense of the beatings she had somehow received took its toll. She landed on her knees in front of her mentor. A strangely familiar stinging in her eyes told her she was silently sobbing.

She glanced up at her mentor, his eyes stared kindly down at her. "Do it Barbara. Save Richard from him." It sounded so much like Bruce, it took everything within her not to point the gun at her own head and pull the trigger to avoid seeing the blood. To avoid seeing her mentor die at her own hands.

Bruce sighed, leaning closer to Barbara, kissing her forehead, her breathing froze at the heartwarming gesture. He pulled away and smiled, "I'll be fine, this is all a dream, Barb. Do it."

Barbara's sobbing began to get louder as she lifted the gun, her hands shaking as she pointed the gun to his own forehead, a quick and easy death for a hero of his caliber.

She shut her eyes tightly, the mocking laughter emitting from the Joker's lips had her tightening the grip on the gun.

As her eyes stayed encased in darkness, the gun rang out. The thump of a body, and the babbling sound of the irritating laugh echoed as the scene changed.

Her eyes opened to see a dimly lit room. Richard hung against the wall, his Robin suit torn up at the seams. He lifted his head and saw Barbara covering her mouth to prevent the strangled sob from escaping her lips.

"Hey Babs." He said, smiling weakly, blood stained his teeth, and his hair was matted down to his skin via sweat. Several bruises covered his tanned skin that was exposed from the shredded suit.

Barbara walked foreword slowly, afraid if she merely blinked the image of Richard would fade at an instant. Her hand reached out and cupped his cheek gingerly, trying not to hurt him.

He leaned into her touch, turning his head slightly and kissed the palm of her hand. A small whimper nearly flew from her lips as she watched him struggle to stay awake.

"Babs, you need to leave.." He warned. She shook her head. She had to stay, she couldn't leave. His blue eyes seemed duller than the other time she had seen him.

"I won't leave you." She said firmly, yet the slight shake in her voice told Richard otherwise.

"He will not hesitate to kill you. I need you to live without me." He pleaded. Again she shook her head.

"I don't care if he kills me a thousand times, I will not leave you!" She screamed. Tears, now flowing freely down her face. Her ears picked up on the faint sound of an old door opening. She dimly remembered what would happen. But her fears would usually end at Bruce's scene, due to the fact Barbara would shoot herself and wake up from the forged nightmare.

The sound of footsteps creeping closer made her heart sink slightly.

She glanced back at Richard and noticed the hopeless look in his blue eyes. For once, his eyes didn't remind her of the endless ocean, rather shattered glass. She turned just as she saw Joker, this time he only had a knife. A simple weapon, yet deadly if one knew where to place the sharp end. She backed up, her back felt the heat curling off of Richard's body. She swallowed hard, her gaze remained on the deranged clown.

"Why hello dear! Nice of you to stop by." He gave a sadistic giggle. "Now you get to watch him die slowly." He walked slowly toward them. His smile stretched widely. He pushed Barbara away, and sunk the knife hilt-deep into Richard's stomach. Blood began to pour out his mouth, and spilled onto the ground.

"Babs, fight the serum. Defeat him." He choked out.

Joker lifted the knife, pose to throw it to her. Barbara lunged at him, taking the knife away from his hands.

"NOOO!" He screamed. Panic evident in his eyes.

Barbara rolled away, grabbing the knife in the process. She stood up, holding the knife tightly.

"You are not real. You are not real. My fears are only what they are; fears. You may break my soul down, wound my spirit, destroy everything I own, but you will never take away my friends and family!" She yelled, punching the laughing clown in the jaw. His body shook with laughter, something that startled Barbara to her core. He didn't flinch, much less show any indication that it hurt.

She gritted her teeth. She swung, only to have him dodge it. She continued to send attacks, until she realized she only needed to calm her breathing and gather herself enough to get a solid punch in.

She swung one more time before she ducked, faking a leg swipe which he tried to jump over, she then sent a jab to his stomach, then an upward punch to his jaw. At an instant his body slumped to the ground.

She turned to Richard and smiled, "Thank you."

Richard nodded, "You are strong enough to get past anything, Babs. Just remember, don't let anything break you." He warned.

That warning should've been enough to scare her.

Her body sat up quickly, Bruce stood, trying to ease her back down.

"You did it Barb. You beat the serum." He said rather proudly.

She nodded numbly, "Water." She croaked out.

"I know that I shouldn't ask, but was it the same this time?" Bruce asked, his slightly peaked curiosity enabled him to question her.

She down the glass of water in less then a second, before she answered, "Everyone died, except Richard and I."

Bruce nodded, "That's progress Barb. I'm surprised."

Barbara turned to watch him closely, to see his answer. "What do you mean I'm surprised?"

Bruce sighed,"I've tested the serum on Richard, but despite how intelligent he is, he has not been able to even get through the first stage."

Barbara's green eyes narrowed, "You gave him the serum...you are supposed to be the most intelligent man in Gotham, yet you let him do that?"

Bruce sighed, "I didn't know he took it until a few days ago."

Barbara watched him intently, debating whether she should be quiet or hit Bruce in the face...with a chair...along with spikes attached.

She noticed the worried look in his eyes and decided to drop the matter altogether.

"So as for the estimation of the number of tests I'll need to take?"

Bruce calculated the math and gave her a charming smile, "If you show progress like today, skipping the days for school, I'd say about 4 or 3 more tests."

Barbara smiled, "I'm glad to hear it.

Bruce nodded, "We are needed at the Watch Tower."

She nodded, "Okay just give me a minute." She said, waving Bruce away from her. Bruce hesitated for a brief moment, before he turned and left.

At that exact second, Barbara began to cry. Her mind had memorized each detail of those scenes. Jason, Tim, Bruce, Richard. Every single one.

In spite of having those etched in her mind, she stood up and went to one of the Zeta tubes to get to the Watch Tower.

She sighed, knowing that everyone would probably be able to see just how tired she truly was.

As the Manor disappeared beneath her feet, she closed her eyes and counted up to 10. To see if she could, in a way, calm herself down.

As she walked into the briefing room, she noticed how everyone seemed to stare at her.

Not quite the entrance I expected. She thought, making her way toward Bruce.

She was glad that most of the league knew her identity, it was only a few on the Team that didn't.

She rounded the corner, only to bump into another teen.

She stumbled back, her foot caught on the other and she fell backwards. She awaited the impact and the ringing sound of her body hitting the tiled floors, but it didn't come.

A hand had grabbed her wrist. A red headed teen that resembled Flash came into her line of vision.

"Who are you?" Barbara asked.

"Actually, that's what we wanted to talk to you about, says he knows you." Barry walked up to them at that time.

"What? I don't even recognize him and trust me, I remember everything and everyone. "

The red-head stepped forward, "Aww come on Babs, you know me."

Barbara raised a brow, "What's your name kid?"

"Bartholomew Henry Allen. Or just Bart Allen." He said, giving Barbara a wide smile.

"Henry...Allen.." Barbara shared a glance with Bruce. "Barry, looks like he's your grandson...from the future.." She said.

"What?!? How?!?" Barry nearly tripped over his feet.

"His name resembles yours and your father's along with the family's last name, not to mention he kinda looks like you." She paused.

The teen smiled, "See Babs, I told you."

Barbara stared at Bart, "Well Bart, Welcome to the Team." Holding out her hand, she waiting for the teen to shake it, instead he pulled her into a hug. She froze, wondering what was going on.

"I've missed you." He whispered before he let go quickly. He gave her an odd glance, a rather somber one, different from the one she had just saw.

He turned to follow Barry, while Barbara stood there wondering just what had happened in the future.

Location: Unknown
Date: Unknown
Time: Unknown

Data Error
[id:1, ip:10.92.82.84.]
Code: 10.09.25.75.86.12
Entry Denied: Classified Information.

Now...

As Barbara woke up, all she could see was the dark. Her body felt heavy as she tried to lift her hands.

She noticed that she was tied to a chair, This sucks.

She heard the sounds of footsteps and boots. She wiggled her wrists trying to get a feel of how tight the ropes where.

The door in front of her opened, and her least favorite person walked in.

"Hello deary! Nice you see you again Barbara." The Joker smiled, his chuckles shook his body.

"Screw you." She said, hissing at the clown.

Joker tilted his head, feigning confusion, "I haven't done anything child, at least, not yet..." He turned to one of the goons, barked an order and turned back to Barbara.

"Tell me, you and that Bat fellow seem to be friends right? Your dad is buddy-buddy with him." Joker begin to twirl a knife between his fingertips.

Barbara wasn't intimidated, in fact she was pissed. Her green eyes glared at Joker. Something that nearly made him uncomfortable.

"Don't give me that look, I know all about your friends." He cracked a smile. "I also know about that Grayson boy. Not much, I'll tell ya that."

Barbara nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard about Richard. She strained against her bonds. "WHAT DID YOU DO!" She screamed.

Joker began to cackle loudly, "You don't know! Oh wait, you haven't seen the TV!" He gestured to another goon, who turned on something.

A projector showed Wayne Manor in ruins. Barbara grunted, trying to lunge at Joker.

"YOU BASTARD! I'LL KILL YOU!" She yelled.

Joker smiled, "Oh no, my dear, rather the opposite I'm afraid. I'll kill you." He said softly, leaning toward Barbara.

At an instant, Barbara was reminded of the tests Bruce conducted, and that didn't help her situation.

As memories flashed in her mind, Joker took the knife he had, and began to trace her wrist.

"You know, Barbara, I've been waiting for this day a long time. I think I'm going to have some fun with you.

He chuckled loudly, his laughter echoed along the walls, as Barbara continued to be plagued by memories.

~Timeskip~

When Bruce had called Dick and told him that Barbara was kidnapped, he didn't believe it.

He wasn't necessarily in denial, rather he just couldn't believe that she was able to be captured like that.

His body somersaulted over an air duct when Bruce had called.

"She's a smart girl, she placed a tracer on herself, I was able to locate her." Bruce said, the engine of the Batmoble growled lowly.

"Well, she is the best of the best, Bruce." Dick answered back.

Bruce sighed, "I know, that's what worries me."

"What do you mean?" Dick turned the corner, nearly tripping over the edge of the building rooftop.

"I mean, I don't think this is right, Barbara is good, and I mean really good at her job, she knows the enemy better then I do, which is why it's so odd."

Dick paused, "Do you think....that...he's.."

"I think he's back....and he has Barbara."

"Then we better hurry. For her sake." And mine. Dick slipped into his apartment, quickly suiting up, before leaving.

The night seemed longer then expected, but Dick guessed it was due to the fact the girl he cared for more then the world was in the hands of Joker.

He nearly shouted in frustration. Why hasn't Bruce called the League. Barbara is a part of the League!

He paused, remembering that not too long ago, Bruce and Barbara hated each other. Damn it.

He landed next to the Batmoble. It was empty, no passenger in sight.

"Nightwing, inside." Batman intercepted the coms. Enabling them to communicate effectively.

"Got it, going inside." Dick was nearly at the air vent when a tortured scream echoed into the coms.

"Batman what's going on? I'm coming in."

"Don't come inside! Nightwing that is an order!" Batman yelled.

A laugh pierced the com before it went silent. Dick debated whether to disobey Batman or stay out.

Fuck that. He thought, pulling himself into the air vent. She matters more to me then your shitty orders, sorry Bruce.

Then everything went wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65 0 10
This story follows Johnathan Wayne the successor of the Batman. Set in an alternate reality Batman and his partners face a new threat as the sudden d...
2.9K 262 52
Stephanie Brown's return to Gotham City is not what she expected. A few years removed from the life she thought she wanted to leave behind, fighting...
430 14 5
Scarecrow's plans to destroy Gotham end up bringing Batman and the Arkham Knight face to face, but it isn't the meeting Batman had in mind. Can the A...
152K 5K 37
Emma Tyson is new to Gotham and ready for the worst of the worst. Meeting her father. But when in Gotham why not make the best of it and help your h...