THE DIFFERENT SHADES OF WHITE...

By BNSH_SHAHEEN

"Why are you being so mean to your new bride?" I demanded ruefully. He smirked in a menacing and ominous way... More

THE DIFFERENT SHADES OF WHITE.
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1- The Threads Of Fate.
CHAPTER 2- The Farewell Of A Patriot
CHAPTER 3- A Disappointing Welcome.
CHAPTER 5- Gulistan-e-Gulshan.
CHAPTER 6- A Little Juvenile Fun.
CHAPTER 7- Cursed And Confused.
CHAPTER 8- J.T.B.
CHAPTER 9- The Fault In Us.
CHAPTER 10- Seeds Of Affection.
CHAPTER 11- Flowers And Beth.
CHAPTER 12- Stakes At Vulnerability.
CHAPTER 13- A Night To Remember.
CHAPTER 14- Independence Day.
CHAPTER 15- One Of The 5-F.
CHAPTER 16- A Crazy Day.
CHAPTER 17- Total Cliche.
CHAPTER 18- Is This The End?
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 19-All Alone.
CHAPTER 20- Betrayal At It's Finest.
CHAPTER 21- Sulking.
CHAPTER 22-Getting To Know him.
CHAPTER 23-Secrets.
CHAPTER 24- Trust Is The Key.
TREAT CHAPTER :p
CHAPTER 25- True Colors.
A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST.
CHAPTER 26- Memories By The Ocean.
CHAPTER 27-Spirit Of A Muslim.
CHAPTER 28- Awkward Feelings.
April Fools Lol :P
CHAPTER 29- Amidst The Blossoms.
another glimpse at the past.
CHAPTER 30- Confessions.
CHAPTER 31- Safe.
CHAPTER 32- Black In White.
CHAPTER 33- A Ride Of Pandemonium.
CHAPTER 34- May God Keep Him Safe.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.
CHAPTER 35- Carry Me Like A Princess.
CHAPTER 36- Perplexity.
CHAPTER 37- Nightmares and The South.
CHAPTER 38- Complications.
CHAPTER 39- Explanations.
CHAPTER 40- Family Ties
CHAPTER 41- Apologies.
CHAPTER 42- Hurt My Pride.
CHAPTER 43-An attempt.
CHAPTER 44- Stunning Realization.
CHAPTER 45- Vows.
CHAPTER 46- Trapped.
CHAPTER 47- What Lies Beneath.
ONE SHOT- CONTEST.
CHAPTER 48- the truth behind those memories.
CHAPTER 49- Joshua Blacksmith (I)
CHAPTER 50- Joshua Blacksmith (II)
CHAPTER 51- Joshua Blacksmith (III)
CHAPTER 52- Shehzad Atish (I)
CHAPTER 53- Shehzad Atish (II)
CHAPTER 54- Shehzad Atish (III)
Epilogue
MAFIA INDEBTED

CHAPTER 4- Welcome To The Atish Family.

49.6K 1.9K 268
By BNSH_SHAHEEN

TO BE PUBLISHED THIS OCTOBER.

vote

comment and add it to ur reading lists :D

thank u :D

**********

The sharp rays of light from the sun stung my eyes and they snapped open. My vision was still blurry. I rubbed my eyes and the first thing I saw was that Shehzad was bare chest and covered with a white towel from below and was focused on rummaging through the closets.

"Hey!" I shouted, covering my eyes. He was so shameless.

"Oh—morning," he greeted in English. I could sense surprise in his voice.

"Would you mind getting out? This is embarrassing." I implied dryly, still covering my eyes.

I heard him chuckle smugly. "What's wrong with looking at a man's half naked body—especially if that man is your husband." He remarked in English. "You really are too naïve and immature." I heard him let out a disappointed sigh.

"Huh." I let out without thinking and raised my head. He was sitting at the corner of the bad and looking at me with curious eyes. He was dripping wet. I blushed.

What was going on? Yesterday he was in such a foul mood and said so many mean things. He looked a little drunk too. But right now, he's being blunt. And it sounded like he was acting a bit sincere.

'Is this guy suffering from a split personality?' I thought, feeling agitated.

"What a letdown. How are you going to live with me if you're this timid now?" he sighed, his facial expression showed his displeasure."Seriously you have no sex appeal at all." He commented in English—provoking me even further.

"Wait a minute. What are you trying to get at? You were the one who said that you don't acknowledge me as your wife. Then what's with the useless comments?" I snapped, he was making me angry.

He glared at me. "Sure I don't recognize you as my wife but still, I have to show the Chairman that you are my wife." He muttered in Urdu. "And you also have to act the part. We have to show the Chairman that we are getting along—because it was he who forced me into this marriage. And I don't know about you, but I'm not happy about this. Let me tell you this now, don't ever meddle into my affairs or else I'll have to show you your place by myself." He said very harshly, and he was actually trying to intimidate me. But I wasn't scared in the least.

I had already made up my resolve. But for now, I have to stay quiet. He was underestimating me. He might think that eastern women aren't as headstrong as western women. But I'm going to prove him wrong. I'm going to prove myself worthy of him. We come from different worlds and may seem incompatible with each other, but I will change that. If not, then God will hold me accountable for it.

For now, I will silently observe him.

He saw that I didn't give him a reply; he got up with an annoying expression, grabbed his suit and headed towards the door.

"Don't forget what I said to you." He reminded me again. "Oh and two of my cousins will be coming to pick you up for the party in the afternoon. Try to put a smile on that face of yours. And I will see you tonight." He slammed the door behind him.

I breathed in out to let the bad conversation of my mind. I didn't let his sarcastic comments bother me. I'm sure that deep down, he must be a nice person. I hope.

I glanced at a wall clock. It was 7:10 p.m. looking around, I was further disheartened because the room didn't look like a married couples' room at all. There weren't any flowers neither was the bed decorated with roses and dandelions.

I got up and searched for the bathroom door. I saw my luggage beside the series of dark wooden closets. I grabbed my bag of toiletries. There was a door near at the end. I opened it. It was a huge walk in closet. It was filled with men's wear—clothing items and accessories. It was more like a clothing store than a closet. I never realized that Shehzad had such exquisite taste in clothing. They were all branded or from a specific designer. The shoes were arranged in shelves and the ties and belts were hung in a different manner. The quality was the finest.

Now I know what kind of things he likes. On a drawer, there was a row of different French and English perfumes. I don't know why but I was beginning to like Shehzad a little bit now—maybe about one percent.

I got out. Beside the door of the closet was another door. I opened it. It was the Bathroom. And it was luxuriant and spacious. There was a central in built spherical floor Jacuzzi, an automatic shower chamber and the toilet was in another corner. The east wall was of clear glass that's why the room was so bright. There was even a LCD screen TV by the corner of the glass wall.

I walked towards the wash basin. It was so big that it could be a dressing table, which was festooned by all sorts of facial and hair. Some of them seemed incredibly expensive for men's wear products.

I splashed my face with cold water. That sent a refreshing feeling across my entire body.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face again. I was feeling guilty because I had missed the Isha and Fajr prayers. I guess I can make up for the Fajr prayer along with the Zohr prayer. I was beginning to feel a little hot. I brushed my hair and tied it in a ponytail. I got changed into fresh cotton Kurta and jeans.

'I wonder if Charlotte had come today. Maybe she might know about the air conditioning system.' I thought as I got out from the bathroom. I suddenly remembered that I hadn't seen the apartment yet.

I secured my dupatta from the bed and began to inspect the bedroom. It was also very big and spacious. The east wall also comprised of a glass wall. I could see Lower Manhattan from up here. This apartment was on the fifty first floor after all. The Chrysler and the empire state buildings could be easily spotted from where I stood. The sun was so bright and blinding. The Hudson River was glistening so beautifully in its light. The view was so spectacular. I was so caught up in it that I didn't notice the knock on the door for the first time.

"Yes." I called out. Charlotte entered. She informed me that breakfast was ready.

"Will Shehzad be joining me?" I asked as I approached her. She shook her head. "The Master never has breakfast. He left for work about five minutes ago and told me to make breakfast for you." She notified in a very courteous style.

I was relieved. If I encounter him again then his challenging insults will cause me to snap. The plan right now is to silently observe him in his daily routine.

But it was rather thoughtful of him to have told the maid to prepare breakfast for me.

I followed her to the dining room which was across the living room. It was comparatively small. My breakfast was laid out for me. "Oh pancakes—thank you." I smiled at her for her hard work. She smiled back and helped me in my chair. "I didn't know what would suit to your liking so I just made the first thing that popped to my mind." She exclaimed rather nervously. I gave her a smile and began. Charlotte stood behind me.

The servant system here is a little strange. Now that I recall it, Charlotte is in casual clothing. Shouldn't she be in a maid uniform or something? Maybe she was working part time here. I tried asking her that.

"No madam, I work full time, but the agency that I work for won't supply me with my maid uniform until I find a stable house to work at." She explained.

"What do you mean? When did Shehzad hire you?" I asked inquisitively.

She shrugged. "About a month ago—after a few days, if the Master asks me to move in than my job as your maid will be stabilized." She answered. I could see the desperation in her eyes. She really needed this job. So Shehzad had exclusively hired her for my sake. It must be so that I wouldn't be a bother to him. It wasn't like he cared for me or anything.

Just thinking about him was irritating me.

I continued my breakfast. I wanted to ask Charlotte about herself but I shouldn't be prying into her business. But Charlotte wasn't done talking. "Madam.....how do you like the Young Master so far?" she inquired politely. I sensed tremendous respect for Shehzad in her words.

I scoffed. There were many things that I could tell her, but remembering Shehzad's instruction from this morning, I had to act like we were getting along—that would be difficult for me. He was telling me to deceive people—something that I had never done before. I was an honest person and lying and deceiving others was not my forte.

But as the wife—it's my job to bring into action all of my husband's commands. But this is only temporary. Because I haven't bought out my master plan that I had formulated last night.

"He's a good person." I lied, just for sake. Charlotte smiled. "He is a very kind person. He took me in when I got fired from my previous job." She remarked respectfully. I nodded. That must be because he was in need of a maid at that time.

I finished my meal and went to explore the house even further. There were three more rooms. One was a vast study room. It looked more like a library to me. I turned on the lights. The floor was spread with a rich printed rug and thick books and business magazines were placed everywhere and the air was filled with the aroma of tobacco. There was a dark mahogany desk at the end of the study in front of a huge wall like window which was covered with maroon curtains that allowed little sunlight to enter the room. On the desk was the latest computer set from Apple Company. I also noticed a plasma screen TV at the corner of the room.

Aside from it, were books concerning business studies and accountancy and commerce. There was also a wine bottle and a cigar tray on a coffee table near the desk. Just looking at it disgusted me. I concentrated more on the book shelves. There were all sorts of boring books arranged in perfect alphabetical order. I couldn't understand what they were about. I picked up a magazine from the floor. Shehzad was on the cover. It read that he was the youngest capitalist to take the business world by storm.

'So he's very successful huh.' I thought scornfully. "No wonder where his big ego came from." I scoffed and threw the magazine back. Picking up another one, I learned something new. He was very popular with the ladies. In one picture, he was surrounded by two gorgeous super models and on the other; he was with a beautiful blond woman.

'So he prefers blonds.' I thought. This was all becoming too interesting. But it's too early to formulate my opinion about his personality from a few facts.

The next room was an indoor personal gymnasium. It contained all the latest exercising equipments. All the walls were glass windows. The last room was locked so I figured that must be Shehzad's personal room.

The kitchen was next to it. It was very modern, like a dream kitchen for every typical housewife. The theme was red and black. The cabinets were red while the shelves and floor were black. It was lighted from all possible directions.

Straight ahead was the spacious living room, whose theme was black and grey. There was huge wide screen TV in the front and eside it was a sliding glass door which led to the balcony. There was a fireplace left to the TV and home theatre system. I headed outside to the balcony. There wasn't a roof on the top. Maybe this was the only floor with the balcony. There was small green house in the corner.

I tried to look down. It was way too high. This was the first time I was on such a high floor. I looked up. There were a few more floors and then came the apex of the building.

I stride towards the green house. It was without a door and vacant from the inside. There was metal bench on the other side of the balcony. I decided to sit ther for a while and enjoy the scenery. The temperature outside was comfortable. The air was accompanied with moist cold breezes.

I felt so much more relieved when I inhaled the fresh air. This entire event was reminding me of my home in Karachi. Though it was always hot there, but the air was always fresh. Sometimes after the Fajr prayer, Abu and I would sit in the garden and read the Qur'an. I would feel the same sentiments and sense of harmony as I feel right now.

'I miss Karachi.' I cried inside in head. My nose was throbbing. It really was painful to leave your home behind. I wonder if I'll ever be able to convince Shehzad returning to Pakistan with me.

A new symphony was forming in my mind. Just as I got up to fetch my violin, Charlotte came to me. "Young mistress, the master's secretary has arrived." She announced. I was a little confused at first but then I suddenly remembered. "Ah—yes please let her in." I allowed and went to the living room. I sat on the couch, closed legged and waited.

A woman of around twenty four to twenty five years of age entered the room. She was dressed in a white blouse and black shirt. Her sliver blond hair was tied in a bun. She wore spectacles.

'Even the secretary is a blond.' I thought with annoyance. But setting that aside, she was very beautiful and graceful and tall—a typical New York City secretary.

"Mrs. Atish, I'm Susan Hawk, President Shehzad Atish's secretary." The woman introduced herself very formally, with a genuine smile. I smiled back despite my irritation. I was sure that she wasn't just a normal office secretary; she must be his private secretary too.

"May I sit, the director instructed me to explain his daily schedule to you." She posed. "Yes please take a seat." I gestured for her to take the arm chair next to me. She thanked me and sat next to me on the arm chair.

"The director's schedule is usually very busy but it has been postponed due to the one week honeymoon trip that has been arranged by the Chairman." She elaborated. I frowned.

"Honeymoon trip? Where to?" I asked, astounded. I didn't expect that since I wasn't given the bridal privileges at all.

Kelly shrugged. "I wouldn't know because the Chairman didn't disclose that, not even to the Director." She claimed nonchalantly.

"I see—and by the whom are you referring to as 'Director'?" I asked quizzically.

She smiled embarrassingly. "I'm sorry. I meant President Shehzad. It's just that I'm so used to calling him Director but ever since his promotion, it's been rather hard to call him President." She giggled. But it only aroused my curiosity.

"When was he promoted?"

"About a month ago—actually it was on the day of his marriage." She informed. Her reply just untied a lot of knots.

"Didn't the President notify you on this; I think that it was a condition proposed by the Chairman to give the seat of President to him. Before that, he was the Director at the firm that his father—the late President Atish was the President of. He was given the post after two years since he joined the business. Though many people were against it, especially his uncles." She clarified. So this was the situation.

"What do you mean by his uncles being against him becoming President?"

"Well......they were against it because he was still a student and very young. He was eighteen years old when he became the director. I guess that they were prejudiced about it, letting their pride cloud their better judgment about him. But since he took over, the company has prospered tenfold." She spoke with a lot of passion and fervor. She admired Shehzad a lot.

"He worked very hard despite his age and he is still working very hard. He hadn't had a day off since he graduated from high school and doesn't have time for a personal life. That's the thing that I most admire about him. And another thing—he recognizes peoples potential and merit and that's how he acknowledges them." She informed—her expression turned a little sad. I sighed.

She stayed for a while longer and told me some other things. But my mind was tangled in other things. She left when her business with me was done.

I learned some new things about my husband. He was a hard working and talented person. To others, he was a role model—a leader worth following.

And he's an orphan, just like me. There must have been a lot of obstacles that must have hindered him. But despite that, he sacrificed his youth for the sake of his father's Company. We have some things in common, but despite that, why does he treat me like nothing? Is he appalled by this marriage so much?

Shehzad said that he was forced into this marriage and he wasn't happy about it and Kelly told me that in order to become the President, he had to marry me to legitimize his Presidency. Maybe I can use that fact to monopolize him for my master plan.

But I'm still perplexed about him. I can't draw out a good opinion about him. Which is the real Shehzad? He's a different person in front of other people, as if he puts on a mask to hide his true identity. I need to know the true Shehzad Atish.

Then comes the matter about me. Suzan told me that when he recognizes a person's talents and merits—only then does he accept and make use of them and i haven't been of any use to him so far.

Maybe I really am a bother to him. Maybe that's why he's being so mean to me? I guess I'll never know until I observe him very closely—especially tonight.

**********

I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't notice Charlotte notifying me of the arrival of Shehzad's cousins. I quickly cheered myself and tried to look lively. They came in blithely and greeted me. They were very different from Shehzad. The girl who called herself Aaliya was seventeen years old and a tan blond. The other girl was her sister Taniya and she was more Asian looking than her sister.

They got a hold of me and didn't let me retrieve anything of mine. They were awfully cheerful about dressing me up. First they took me to a Japanese spa to get my body polished and after that, they took me to Fifth Avenue to get my hair and makeup made by a French stylist. And all the while, they didn't allow me to look in the mirror.

For half an hour, we drove to the suburbs outside of New York City. They were very talkative. Apparently, they kept on talking about their new Clothing line that they were going to launch soon.

We arrived at a huge Mansion by evening. It was Roman styled. When the car stopped by the entrance, another one of Shehzad's cousins came out to greet me. She was more humble looking than Aaliya and Taniya.

"Asalam alaikum, you must be Khadijah." She embraced me and grinned widely. She was wearing Shalwar Kamiz and had the dupatta over her head. She looked mature and looked a year older than me. It kind of felt weird when she was the one who spoke in Urdu with me since the other two cousins were continuously conversing with me in English. I think that they didn't know how to speak Urdu at all.

"I'm the eldest grandchild, Sonia Atish." She introduced herself. She took me inside to her room which was up stairs. The interior was of mosaic tiles. The main corridor was cylindrical, with a central flower table. But the entire place was being decorated with white flowers of all types.

I was feeling welcomed in this house. Now this was a proper wedding reception. Sonia pulled me along with her and didn't allow me to look in the mirror at all. It was like those three cousins were in perfect coordination with each other.

"I prepared your outfit myself." Sonia said as we entered in a bedroom. It was rather small and graciously filled. This bedroom was rather old fashioned. But I didn't pay much attention to it. I sat on the bed and waited for Sonia to come from the dressing room. She came running back with a suit casket and a box.

"I'll be opening a clothing store in New York soon and all my ideas are basically Asian, especially Pakistani—which just fascinates me." Sonia told enthusiastically.

"Oh that is wonderful. Will you open your clothing line in Pakistan too?" I asked.

"Yes I did about a year ago when I graduated from art school." She replied cheerfully. Now that I think about it, a new designer store had opened in Karachi that I had visited many ways.

"What is the name of your store?"

"It's NYC Tish." She replied. Yes I was right. "And I recognize that you are wearing one of my designs." Sonia noticed. I flushed. It really was an Honor to meet my favorite Pakistani designer.

"But aren't you living here. How did you open that store?" I asked quizzically.

"That's true. I wanted a starting point so I Chose Karachi and also because I will be settling there after my marriage." She declared.

"You are also getting married?" I asked—astounded. She smiled at me.

"Well I was going to be the first to get married first. But Shehzad was lucky that he got married first—especially with such a cute girl. You are the first bride of this household."

I asked her about her age. "I'm twenty three years old. Shehzad is the third eldest among the grandchildren." She informed me with eagerness.

"Is it also an arranged marriage?" I inquired. She shrugged.

"It's sort of an arranged and love marriage. I met my fiancé in Karachi during the inauguration of my store."

I nodded. "How did you like Pakistan?" I asked.

"It's great. I really enjoyed my first visit. So I think that my life there will also be great." She remarked gleefully. I smiled too. But before I could get ready, I requested her to let me say my Asr prayers first. When I was done, Sonia quickly got busy on me.

She opened the casket and showed me a beautiful Sari with silver thread and metal embroidery. This was going to be my first time to wear a Sari. It was pretty heavy once I put it on—it was a perfect fit, though I was curious to know how Sonia knew my size. Thankfully the blouse wasn't too revealing and my waist was completely covered. The sleeves however were short. Sonia gave me silver Gucci pencil heals. They were probably the latest.

At last, with the jewelry on, I was ready and finally allowed to look into a mirror. And when I did, I was completely taken aback. I couldn't recognize myself at first.

I was looking exquisite. My skin was like cream again strawberries and the makeup—although felt heavy—was light upon my face and gave it a more mature appeal. My straight hair locks were curled and were leveled up. A bumpette was placed underneath my hair to form a crown. My temples were surrounded by two tendrils on either side. I had to put on turquoise lenses because Taniya insisted so much. Now I really looked like the wife of a Billionaire business tycoon.

"You look incredible." Sonia remarked jocundly. I smiled. For once, it was true. I just hope that Shehzad would approve. Up until now, he thinks that I can't match up to his standards. I'm hopeful that at least he will show me a smile.

"Sonia." Someone called from behind the door.

"Yes!" Sonia called. "It's time." Aaliya came in and informed. My heart began to beat uncontrollably. Everything was going so fast.

Aaliya gasped. "OMG! You look amazing." Aaliya commented and came hopping towards me. She was dressed in red Langa—that is something that I should be wearing. It's a tradition for the bride to wear red, so as to capture the heart of the groom. But I was dressed in white—which depicted simplicity and humbleness—characteristic of my personality.

And speaking of traditions—my hands were bare. They should have been tattooed and stained with the color of henna designs and patterns. That is the key representation of a young newlywed bride. But there was no point in complaining since I was just going to pretend to be a happy bride tonight.

But in time, I will make sure that I become happy and make Shehzad happy too.

Sonia also got dressed in a pink Sari and they both took me to the main Family hall. As I climbed down the stairs, the camera flashes from two photographers greeted me and everyone downstairs began clapping. There weren't many people there.

As I thought, the whole reception was decorated with flowers that matched the color of my sari. When I entered the hall, everything was time. There was a stage setting against a silver background with white and silver organza curtains and the flowers were set on top of silver pedestals. The guests were either sitting or enjoying their drinks.

When I got near the stage, the Chairman came along with Shehzad—He was dressed in a black tuxedo and his hair was neatly combed. He was looking more than handsome—especially with the smile that dazzled his perfect face.

But I couldn't fathom whether that smile was real or fake. Was he wearing the mask of a good guy?

'Whatever, I just want to enjoy this night with my new life partner.' I reminded myself in my head and smiled warmly at him—besides, this is just the beginning of our relationship.

"Ma'shaa Allah!" the Chairman praised. "This match was truly made in heaven. Look Shehzad, isn't your bride a genuine beauty." The Chairman commended. Shehzad smiled a warm smile at him.

The Chairman grasped both our hands and led us on the stage. Hanging rose garlands around our necks, the Chairman asked for a microphone and gave a small speech. Everybody became attentive towards us at the sound of the microphone turning on.

"My beloved family and friends, thank you so much for being here tonight," he began in English. "Tonight is a very special night for we join another beautiful person in the Atish family legacy. This is my new daughter Khadijah." He announced and bought me forth. Placing his arm across my back, he continued. "May God truly bless this union! Tonight," he let go me and gave my hand into Shehzad's. His hand was big and slender—but very warm. I gave him a slight grimace. His expression was neutral and his light eyes impassive.. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking.

He's a sly and cunning guy. But I have to bear with him.

"Shehzad, I entrust this jewel to you. Take good care of her. Remember that she is like a daughter to Me." the Chairman pronounced. He motioned for a man to come up on stage. He was carrying a large cubical container.

"This is a gift that I had prepared exclusively for you Khadijah." The Chairman proclaimed gayfully. The man opened the container to reveal a necklace.

I gasped in astonishment. The necklace was more like a neck brace. It was carefully crafted, clustered with diamonds and pearls of all shapes and sizes. The Chairman claimed that it was from Tiffany's and made of platinum and white gold. Each diamond was two point five karat and from Belgium.

"This just arrived today. I hope that you will like it." The Chairman asked as he brought it near me. "Shehzad, will you do the honors?" the Chairman ordered as he took the set in his hands. Sonia helped me to take of the present necklace off my neck. Shehzad came near me with the neck brace. He sighed and put it on me. I was getting the feeling that he wasn't glad to be here.

It was definitely heavy. I was graciously taken aback.

"Thank you so much Dada Jaan." I expressed breathlessly. The Chairman smiled and made me and Shehzad sit on the decorated bench on the stage. I was feeling the pressure of all the envious gazes upon my face.

I blushed. I was the centre of attention tonight. This was exactly what I had wanted and now ALLAH was giving me my special time. I was filled with overwhelming happiness, something that I didn't feel in a long time now. If only my family could see me now.

I glanced at Shehzad who was attentive towards the guests. I was lucky that I got to be married to such a person. Instead of blaming my fate, I should be grateful that ALLAH had already arranged everything for me and had taken care of everything. Otherwise, who would want to marry an orphan? Especially someone from such a rich and prestigious family.

I was feeling gratified towards my grandfather. Although he pushed me into this marriage, which I considered as a curse, binding me. But now, I have a change of heart. The people that he gave me to are very nice and good people. They aren't like the in-laws that I had thought about. The Chairman has really acted like a true grandfather and elder to me. I pray that he may always treat me like that.

As for Shehzad—at first he gave me an unpredictable impression and his personality his flawed. But he isn't perfect and I can't expect him to be an ideal husband. Since he was born and raised in the west and he possesses American Pakistani heritage, so it was common that he wouldn't agree to the traditions of the east. He may think that he has been given a woman from the east who could not be match up to his standards. And it's alright with me if he thinks that I'm not worthy of him and he may be right about that.

We both have to change to come into equal terms. Only then will he accept me. I have already accepted him, whether he is nice or mean. I gazed at his face. I noticed that he had only once looked at me closely tonight. I slowly placed my hand on top of his that he had clenched into a fist on his knee. He looked at me with surprised. I smiled happily and warmly and tightened my grasp. He looked away but I could have sworn that I saw a slight smile—meant only for me. It made my heart soar. My likeness and fondness for him increased about five percent.

The Chairman was sitting of a sofa to the right and one by one, the family members came to greet the newlywed. And the Chairman did the introductions.

A family of four members came up on stage. "This is my eldest son, Umair and his wife Bano. He is in charge of Atish steel mills. " The Chairman informed. They greeted me and handed a velvet box to me. "And this is Sonia that I'm sure you have already met and her little brother, Zubair." The Chairman motioned. So Sonia was the Daughter of the Taya—the eldest uncle. Zubair seemed like a teenager—only a year younger than me. He was quiet and didn't speak or greet me at all. I wonder what his problem was. The same can be said about uncle Umair. He had a peculiar expression on his face. Shehzad flinched as his uncle lowered to embrace him but he ignored him. He must have a bad relationship with him. But Bano auntie and Sonia were very friendly. I was told that they had a second son, named Anwar, who was gone on a business trip that's why he couldn't join the Walima. He was two years older than Shehzad.

After the photo session with them ended, more people came up.

Next came Aaliya and Taniya and their parents. The Chairman introduced them as Salim, who was the Director of Atish resorts and Hotels. Next to him was his wife, Carmen—she was of Spanish Italian heritage. That explained whom Aaliya took after. Her mother was exactly like her. She was dressed in a Bridal gown just like her daughter—a tan blond. She looked very graceful.

"See mom, didn't I tell you that she was cute." Taniya commended as she sat next to me. Carmen grinned. "You are very lucky Shehzad." She said and they arranged themselves in the front and back for the photo session.

Shehzad didn't reply but just smiled. It looked like a cold smile. After them, came the Chairman's forth son, Idrees along with his wife, Pamela and their fifteen year old triplet daughters. They were so precious. Their names were Ayesha, Alina and Aamina. They handed me individual red roses and their mother told me that they were very keen to meet me. The chairman told me that uncle Idrees was in charge of Atish finance group.

The triplets clinged to the Chairman and after the photo session with them ended, the Chairman's only daughter, Tabassum and her husband and son, Musa came and greeted me. This family was very vast.

When all the Chairman's children had met and greeted me, the Chairman ordered for a family photo. After that, all the guests headed towards the buffet. The Chairman stayed behind with me and Shehzad.

"I hope that you aren't tired, my dear." The Chairman inquired. I shook my head. "I'm alright. Everyone was very nice." I said, my voice was growing heavy because of the neck brace. I wasn't used to such weighty jewelry. It was beginning to hurt my neck.

"I'm glad that you feel that way. We all are very happy that you have become a part of this family." The Chairman claimed cheerfully. I beamed at him. But I highly doubt if the uncles approve of me. It seemed to me that they held some sort of grudge against Shehzad and even he was adversely cold toward them. Now that I think about it, Suzan did tell me that his uncles were against him becoming the President.

Even Shehzad was being awfully quiet. I became aware that he had to put up a fake front to fool the Chairman.

"Mr. President." I heard Suzan, Shehzad's secretary, called him from below the stage. "Excuse me, Chairman." Shehzad said and left.

I sighed. I was getting tired. But there was one more thing that I had to know. "I didn't get to meet Shehzad's mother." I had figured out that his father was second in number, but I didn't get to meet my Mother-in-law.

The Chairman grimaced. "Shehzad didn't allow it." He murmured, looking embarrassed. I frowned in confusion. "Why not?" I urged.

The Chairman composed himself. "Let's not think about that now. You should eat. I should also go and get something in my stomach." He sniggered and left giddily. He has such a joyful personality.

A waiter came and began to serve my meal. The menu was continental. I thanked God. At least the emptiness of home was filled by the rich aroma of the food. Judging from the white theme—I was under the impression that maybe this must be an American styled function—but I guess I misunderstood. It was a semi American and semi Pakistani ceremony.

"Mrs. Atish." A familiar voice called out. I lifted my head and saw that Larry was standing, hovering over me. He had a female with him, who was dressed in a black cocktail dress. She was also an African American.

"How are you? You are looking stunning. Many congratulations to you." I hailed. I got on my feet. The Sari made it a little difficult to move in.

"I had wanted you to meet someone. This is Courtney, my girlfriend." He introduced the woman who was standing next to him. I shook hands with her. It was rather odd to meet someone's girlfriend so openly. In Pakistan, people did their best to hide their boy or girlfriends.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Larry has told me so much about you and he praised you so much that I began to feel jealous." She joked—rather honestly.

"But I know that since your Married, Larry won't get smitten by you since he already likes you so much." She further implied with a giggle. I pouted.

"Stop it—you're embarrassing me." Larry looked down in humility.

"Come on, you know that's true." She winked at me.

"If that's the case, then I should get you, right Courtney." I heard Shehzad's voice from my left. He got near me and wrapped his arm around my waist. It felt hot where he touched. Blood began to flood my cheeks. This was the first time that a man got near me so much—and in front of other people no less. But his touch reminded me of last night's incident and I began to feel mortified. He didn't have to hold me so closely.

"Yes! Most definitely." Courtney laughed.

"Come on stop joking around you two. You're making the bride feel uncomfortable." Larry stated, saving me from there humiliating jokes.

"Yeah, I'm sorry for the horrible jokes. But you should have a good sense of humor." Courtney said half jokingly. "I hope that we can be good friends from now on." She took my hand and grinned at me. I smiled back. "Of course." I replied. "You hear that Shehzad, looks like you will have to share your wife with Me." she giggled—posing another joke.

Shehzad shrugged. "You can take her right now if you like." He said casually, but to me, it sounded serious. Larry and Courtney just laughed. Of course—to them, it really was a joke, but I understood the meaning behind his words. Just by opening that mouth of his, the little happiness that I felt was slowly beginning to fade. I felt belittled and unwanted.

"By the way, I'm surprised that there isn't any media coverage on your special day." Larry pointed out. "Want me to call the paparazzi?" Courtney challenged. "No there's no need for that." Shehzad replied coolly.

Larry and Courtney handed me their gifts and headed towards the buffet. I was still in disheveled thoughts.

Shehzad released his arm from me and sat down to start his meal. I also sat beside him. But I couldn't find any words to start a decent conversation with him. "Those two seemed to be very close to you." I started, being careful to stay on his good side. If he was suffering from a dual personality, then the best way to keep his mood stable is to remain on his good side.

"Well of course." He answered bluntly. I gulped. I needed to ask something else.

"Listen," I gulped again. He paid more attention towards his meal than on the conversation. "Am I really.........that bothersome to you?" I finally managed to say it. I hated myself for having no self confidence. But even I have my limits.

He smirked. "Let's see—I will know if you're not if you become useful." He responded in a mocking tone. I sighed. I don't know what I was hoping from him?

"But," he continued and took a lock of my hair between his fingers. "You got dressed for me, right? So you look kind of cute." He spoke in a very soft and seductive voice. I was left petrified. Was he really being nice to me for the first time or was it just for show? I wanted to ask him but didn't dare to. If I did, then I fear this good time might end. I guess I can consider his words of consideration as my Moo' Dikhai. His hand landed on my lap and grasped my hand gently. This was all too good to be true but I didn't let myself daydream or indulge in any good expectations.

"Just kidding." He snapped with a joking manner. I glared at him. "Do you enjoy provoking me?" I hissed at him—this proved that he really was suffering from a dual personality. At one moment he's a different person and at the next, he's an unlikely person. I'm not to forgive him for making fun of me for no reason. I suddenly lost my appetite. But I don't know why, if I grew mad at Shehzad, then I would also feel the urge to forgive him instantaneously. I suppose that I'm too simple minded and kind hearted. I can't afford to let a few stinging words get me down.

The battle was only beginning. I just need to be patient and endure it—at least until I get to understand the true Shehzad.

The guests began to come back. We got off the stage. I was following Shehzad at the back when abruptly; he took my arm and folded it around his. Of course, he told me to play an act to show that we were getting along.

But it was only one sided—I wasn't pretending at all; rather I was feeling glad that I could walk beside with side by side. Together, we greeted the rest of the guests. Apparently; everyone was either a relative or a close family friend. They were being very vigilant about their privacy.

They orchestra started. And the newlyweds were asked to give the first dance—a very American convention.

"But I don't know how to dance." I stated nervously. He rolled his eyes at me. He must be disappointed in me. But it was only natural since everything was being a first time for me. But it should be okay—since I'm a fast learner.

"Just follow my lead." He instructed—annoyed. But for me, this was getting interesting.

We came to the middle o the dance floor. All the guests were surrounding us. This was going to be a fun experience. I flushed bright red.

"Let's just do a simple waltz since my bride is a little new at this and is unacquainted to dancing." Shehzad proclaimed out loud. Some people laughed while others began to gossip. Maybe I have given off an unrefined impact on them. But I didn't let that disturb me. If I can't please my husband then nothing can be more upsetting than that. My face and ears turned hot and butterflies began to flutter in my empty stomach.

My heart began to pound against my chest. Shehzad pulled me closer to his chest, embracing me tightly with one arm and taking my left hand into his. I lowered my eyes. His hand travelled from my waist to my back, giving off gentle strokes.

"Look at me," he whispered in Urdu in my ear. "It's alright if you surrender yourself to me." He murmured sweetly into my ear. He was aware of the fact that I was timid and shy but he didn't exploit that fact—I guess I misunderstood him in that regard. The dance began and he carefully led me.

I looked into his beautiful eyes for the first time. He was being sincere. He kept my honor in front of others and made sure that I wouldn't make any mistake. I quickly learned all the moves and then my feet began to follow the melody of the orchestra. A new symphony was forming in my heart. I wish I had my violin right now. My heart was overflowing with mixed emotions—most of them were feelings of likeness for Shehzad.

It began to sense like as if it was me and Shehzad and the music—everyone else evaporated into the surroundings. I leaned my head against Shehzad's broad shoulder. The neck brace was causing my neck to throb and my chest to stiffen.

"Thanks for this." I muttered and closed my eyes. "I'm sorry if you had to feel ashamed because of my being ignorant about dancing." I uttered, hearing the steady beating of his heart. I could feel his breath on my hair and skin. His hold of my back tightened.

Before I realized it, we had stopped and the people were clapping their hands.

"Well done, that was superb." The Chairman praised in Urdu. Shehzad let me go but because I was feeling dizzy so I clinged to his arm. He looked at me in bewilderment. He had wanted me to let go of him, but I couldn't.

"Well then, I wouldn't let you have all the fun. May I have the next dance with the bride." A man came forward, whom I didn't recognize. I can't possibly do that. But I couldn't refuse either. I had to be refined lady and come up with an excuse. I squeezed Shehzad's arm.

"I'm sorry Joe but I think that she's tired so I think that she should rest for a bit." Shehzad excused and took me away to another room. We were alone now.

"You saved me, thanks." I breathed in and out as I sat down. "Of course I did you idiot," he glared at me. His bad side had surfaced. "I couldn't possibly let him dance with you since you're so bad at it. I'm sure that you could have stamped on his feet and turned them flat by the end of the dance." He asserted derisively. I grimaced. Despite my chagrin, I giggled at his comment. He scoffed at me in vexation.

The Chairman came in and took us to a separate studio room where we had a few more pictures taken.

The night finally came to an end. And I discovered a new shade of white—the shade of new experiences that I shared with new people

**********

READ

VOTE

COMMENT :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 16.7K 29
~ Dill k kissay kahan nahi hotay Han wo sabse bayaan nahi hotay ~ ********* She is innocent. He is rude. She is shy. He is introvert. S...
405K 15.2K 36
Ever wonder how your supposed best day of life will turn into a lifelong nightmare. Two people, two different worlds yet bound by the same emotion, "...
5.1M 117K 66
DARK ROMANCE "Don't please," she sobbed, shaking badly. The fear of her situation was slowly sinking in. "Please let me go, I want to go home." S...
59.8K 3.7K 42
Cover credit : @KhushiMaury "Congratulations to me for this strange night. Now this marriage is a test that will take a whole life to pass. Either I...