Screaming Eagles

By KennyMichels

"You're about to embark on a great crusade..." General Dwight D. Eisenhower had said in his speech to the tro... More

Chapter 1 - Screaming Eagles
Chapter 3 - Sniper
Chapter 4 - Opening engagements
Chapter 5- D-Day
Chapter 6 - The bloody first
Chapter 7 - The Hedgerows
Chapter 8 - Carentan
Chapter 9 - Taking Carentan
Chapter 10 - Debriefing and a new assignment
Chapter 11 - Night ops
Chapter 12 - Danger close!
Chapter 13 - Laying the trap
Chapter 14 - Ambush
Chapter 15 - Morning before the jump
Chapter 16 - Eagles are leading the way
Chapter 17 - Trouble at Son
Chapter 18 - Memories
Chapter 19 - Friendly fire
Chapter 20 - The Reich strikes back
Chapter 21 - Truce
Chapter 22 - Up close and personal
Chapter 23 - Lurking danger
Chapter 24 - Redirected
Chapter 25- Comrades
Chapter 26 - Unternehem Wacht am Rhein
Chapter 27 - Blitzkrieg
Chapter 27 - Besieged!
Chapter 28 - NUTS!
Chapter 29 - The Battle for Bastogne
Chapter 30 - The SS
Chapter 31- The Resistance
Chapter 32- Patton's 3rd Army
Chapter 33 - The Great Escape part 1
Chapter 33 The Great Escape part 2
Chapter 34- Lodendorf bridge
Chapter 35- Epilogue: I had a comrade

Chapter 2 - Surrounded

973 36 32
By KennyMichels

Happy reading!

**

Somewhere over Normandy

What sounded like a pair of BAR's mixed in with the M1's, has what had commenced engagement with the Kraut's below Jack.

The powerful caliber that these paratroopers were packing lit the German patrol up, including the barn itself.

Bullets were piercing the thinly wooded walls, sending splinters of wood flying inward as the bullet impacted the wall.

Jack held his breath as he watched the Wehrmacht troops take cover in the barn, tripping over each other as they ran about in search for cover.

The Germans below him were scattered throughout the barn, taking cover behind whatever they could find. And it seemed to be doing the trick since a lot of the wood is taking more damage than the enemy themselves.

"Fusillo, take a squad up and secure that barn! Thatch, Vito, take your boys and secure a perimeter around that barn! This isn't the dz, something went wrong... Get that barn secured and keep that 360 perimeters tight, this will be the newly designated rally point once it's cleared." The authoritative voice commands and the sounds of several footsteps could be heard in their haste to move up and secure the inside.

Upon closer inspection, they looked less equipped compared to the standard soldier, and maybe Polish too.

There were only 5, maybe 6 of them in this patrol and they didn't really wish to fight either by what Jack could tell.

"Diese ist deine nur Wahl, kommen Sie heraus und aufgeben oder sterbt!" Someone called out from outside of the barn, and the Ost troops below looked at each other. They mulled over the idea of getting to live and see day break again.

"Nicht schießen mir bitte, ich komme heraus!" One of the soldiers replied before he dropped his weapon and came out with his hands held up, he was shaken up but did his best to hide his fear.

"Sprechen Sie English?" The man asked the Ost soldier as the rest of his squad mates slowly came out of the barn too, giving themselves up.

"Nein, er sprecht Englisch..." The soldier said, pointing towards the youngest man in the group.

The young man looked no more than 18, maybe 17 years old, and he wasn't very pleased to be put on the spot like that from the other man.

The American who was asking the questions looked at the younger boy and shook his head a little bit, they're always so young when they join to fight in the wars.

"Is that true, you speak English?"

"Y-yes sir, I do..."

"I have a quick question for you, why the hell are you all so ill equipped?" The First Sergeant asked the boy.

"We're Osttruppen in the Ostlegionen... The, uh, eastern legions... We're part of the individual Polish eastern troops you could say. We are in charge of defending the coast here, conscripted or forced to fight, some of us are volunteers as well... But we're just cannon fodder more or less..." The young boy said watching as the Americans move past them to clear out the barn.

The conversation continued on as the First Sergeant tried getting any information out of him and his buddies.

Jack was relieved when he saw friendly uniforms enter the barn, and didn't hesitate to call out for help "Hey, hey! Up here, someone get me down, I'm caught up in the cords!"

As a majority of the squad secured the barn, they looked up and noticed that Jack was truly ensnared in his parachute lines.

"Hang tight sir, we'll get you down from there!" One of the corporals had said while everyone else began piling hay up underneath Jack to cushion his possible fall.

Meanwhile, a private scaled the ladder that connected to the upper loft, once he made it to the top. He cautiously stepped towards the edge where the platform in the loft ended, he then reached out and grabbed hold of the closet line.

"We'll cut you down from there, we piled up enough hay below to hopefully soften your fall, sir!" The corporal below called up to them, then he nodded towards the private holding onto Jack's parachute rope. Giving him the OK to cut Jack down from his lines.

Drawing his knife from its sheath, the private leaned forward and firmly held onto the parachute lines. He then proceeded to cut the cords that have entangled Jack.

"Thanks, fellas and what company are you all from?" Jack asks while he prepared himself for the impending fall.

"Easy sir, Bravo company also landed in this general area as well. Our Captain is trying to figure out what the hell is happening, everyone got scattered in the jump and we're obviously not in the correct DZ's we were meant to land in." The chap said while sawing away at the cords.

"Yeah, this is one big fucking mess we're in right now sir." A soldier chimed in as he looked out the window and into the dark countryside.

Before anyone could say anything else, there was a sudden snap as a cord gave way, partially freeing Jack. Before gravity took effect and he fell down, safely landing on the hay, but it still hurt. His legs bruised, that's the only injury he'll receive out of his landing.

Quickly fighting past the flash of pain that flared in his leg, Jack said his thanks to the men that freed him, and together.

The squad left the barn and in a staggered formation, they moved out to join the gathered men out in the field. A perimeter was successfully secured and Easy company's Captain was trying to figure out where they were exactly.

**

The temporary command center, German F.O.B.

On the outskirts of Carentan in a hastily cleared out cellar, the cellar was turned into a Command center for the defending commander.

This man's in charge with overseeing his section of the defense, which involves the immediate area behind and of Omaha and Utah beach.

"Herr Generalmajor, reports of enemy paratroopers landing all across the countryside have been flooding the radio waves for the past 10 minutes... Orders Herr?" The Funker asks as plot and route officers are hovering over the large, laid out map of Normandy, ready to spring into action.

"Deploy the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 here, along with the 2 other Ost battalions, they're going to secure the outer area and here... We must hold Carentan until the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division arrives, they'll be relieving us to hold these areas while the main army pulls back to regroup if they get that far..." Karl said while looking over the map.

"Keep my tanks in reserve, I don't want them deployed too early... However, get a platoon size detachment sent to bolster the ranks where I see fit." Generalmajor Krieser said while he watched his veteran map and route officers get to work with his orders.

As a minute or two passed, Karl sighed a little "Herr Rommel has entrusted us to defend this port long enough for the engineers to destroy what they can, and long enough for the 17th SS-Panzergrenadier to arrive and reinforce us." Karl added, the flow of his officers made this look like a well, organized and oiled machine as the word is already getting sent out for movement orders.

It's the first time that Karl had led men in nearly a year, since he was medically discharged for a year from his injuries he received in Italy, his commanding skills are a bit rusty. So he was placed here to get back into the rhythm of things once more.

It was also the time he received his promotion to Brigadier general, his first one star. Or in other words, Generalmajor. It was due to one of the previously ranked General's that surrendered himself in Italy, thus leaving a promotion spot opened in the ranks.

***

Jack was relieved to see it was his company officer, Captain Mitch. Who was turning this farm house into a rallying point, and the local French residents were ecstatic that American soldiers are finally here.

So the farmer was more than happy to lend them his farmhouse and barn to use, and from there. Mitch turned this into said, rally point where both Bravo and Easy company have regrouped.

"Lieutenant Colonel Cole has ordered everyone to continue on as planned. We maybe separated from the others, but we're not out yet. While Easy company secures Carentan, the other companies will be securing adjacent towns and the nearby bridges." Mitch said as he begins the sitrep to the officers of Easy and Bravo.

"Bravo company's charged with securing the roads and any bridge access behind Utah and Omaha. That's Bravo's new task, secure those routes and wait for the landing forces to make contact with us..." Mitch said after he sighed, the effects of fatigue is starting to catch up with some people, including Mitch too.

"Easy company, you're task is unchanged, secure Carentan as said before we jumped," Mitch says as he looked at everyone gathered around the table. The signs of stress are quite obvious on the man's features.

He isn't going to let that affect him, though, and to change his mind off of the topic, he pulled his sleeve back on his right arm to check his watch.

"It's current 02:21, check the map here and assign yourselves a bridge or intersection leading to the beaches for you to defend. Once there, dig in and repel any and all kraut counter attacks." Mitch adds as he taps the map twice.

**

3 miles east of the rally point

James gasps and his chest rattles from his forceful coughing, he finally managed to free himself from his own parachute cords.

He had managed to stop the lines from tightening around his neck and therefore hanging himself. However, by using his hand to protect his neck in his fall through the tree branches. The rope marks have been imprinted on his hand and his fingers were a light blue from the lack of circulation.

Adding to the growing list of pain from his fall, the pain was beginning to radiate throughout his body.

When James tried to stand up, he wasn't able to get more than a few steps before a pain spike shot him down. He was on his side in an instant, clutching his ankle that felt like someone took a hammer to it.

Muttering out curses, he held onto his ankle which was causing the most severe bit of his pain and for all he knew. It could be broken or it could be sprained

Hopefully sprained...

His attention, however, was drawn to the ever nearing group of footsteps approaching, he was mad at himself for not immediately hearing the unknown threat approaching him.

Trying to get his eyes adjusted to the darkness that has engulfed the land under the canopy cover of the trees. He was in a frantic search for his weapon, it had fallen down somewhere on the ground with him once he was freed.

There were voices, but they were barely audible and James couldn't tell if they were German or American. So he picked up his speed and stopped once he felt his hand brush up against the cold steel barrel of his Thompson.

In his rush to get rearmed, he glided his hand over the rest of the object to confirm that it was, indeed his issued weapon.

He sighed as he situated himself, sitting up with his back against the tree, rearmed and with some confidence back in himself. He took aim at the sound of the approaching footsteps and waited.

Easing his thumb down against the safety, James pushes it off and he softly placed his forefinger against the trigger in preparation to fire.

"Soldat blick über es, feind Fallschirmjäger wurden im die Feld gesichtet."A older, baritone voice spoke out.

"Jawohl herr... Du kommst mit mir!"A second voice said and from what James could pick up, there were probably 2 or 3 pairs of footsteps slowly coming through the cluster of trees which James crashed into.

He had the advantage though, mainly because of the canopy of the trees which had cast the ground underneath them into further darkness. It also concealed James from the enemies naked eye.

Plus the German's will be silhouetted in the bright moonlight and James will see them before they even see him, hopefully.

Out to his right, he saw a dark figure cautiously step into his field of view. Then the figure proceeded to move from right to left with two more following behind the first in a wedge formation.

They're physically scanning the area, acting as the forward scouting team for their squad. Their job is to draw enemy fire towards them while a second or third squad outflanks the enemy.

But in this case with James, he's putting his trigger discipline to use. Resisting the urge to open fire on the scouts, that way he won't give himself away by firing. Nor will he have to worry about expending ammunition too much.

The fire team draws closer, and the anxiety that's building up inside of James is making him more jumpier the closer they get.

The German that was closest to him was standing just about 15 yards away, James owes his life to the canopy that's shrouding the ground beneath it in darkness.

Because without it, that man would've definitely seen James sitting there in the moonlight.

As they slowly moved along, more voices could be heard from behind James, he sat there listening for a moment before turning his head to try and see if he could see them.

Just as James thought, that was the flanking squad behind him. The situation is now becoming more worrisome than good.

With the only good side of this ordeal is his knowledge of where that flanking squad is. However, the more troublesome side of things is him being surrounded by Krauts with a possibly broken ankle.

"Secure the road here and signal the Tiger commander, let him know that his men can safely move towards Carentan now." The squad Sergeant said once he was satisfied that the immediate vicinity was clear.

James was glad that he took up the offer to learn German from his Grandfather, it's been a life saver so far.

His Grandfather was a businessman that had a shop set up in Germany before WW1 started, and he became fluent in the language. He had spent a good part of his young adult life there before he met his wife and had returned to America.d

"Obergefreiter, signal the tankers now..." Oberfeldwebel Kristin had called out, his battalion, the 15th Panzergrenadier. Was transferred here by request from his Brigade Commander, Herr Generalmajor Krieser.

The 15th Panzergrenadier was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Adrian Schmidt, who was in charge of the troop replenishment and retraining until Karl had returned.

The Oberstleutnant was overjoyed when he was taking command of a battalion with such a high number of surviving, battle hardened veterans. Herr Schmidt did a good job seeing to the replenishment of the 36th mechanized regiment, with help from an Oberst to oversee it.

Doing as told, the Obergefreiter walked out into the middle of the road and he held up his flashlight, he rapidly clicked the on and off button a few times before lowering it.

**

Ragnarok,

Panzerkampfwagon Tiger Ausf. B

Hauptmann Marcus Falk

"There's the signal Feldwebel Forst, all ahead cruise speed." Marcus said as soon as he saw the flashlight flicker on and off a few times.

"Jawohl herr, moving out." Frost, the Ragnarok's driver replied as he started the Tiger II's engines.

The powerful engine roared to life and with it, multiple engines from other vehicles and tanks lined up behind the lead Tiger II followed in response.

"Radio the platoon officers, remind them to head to their designated areas and report in once set up." Marcus said as he got comfortable in his commander seat as the Tiger II lurched forward.

When Marcus and his crew retreated in their fight from Italy, their Tiger I the Ritter Rot, suffered a critical hit which killed their driver. And severely damaged bits of the engine and lower mantle beyond repair.

So for the past year, the crew of the former Ritter Rot became the crewmen of Ragnarök, training their newest driver and getting accustomed to their new vehicle. The new design is meant to replace the Tiger I with the Tiger II, or the King Tiger.

Sitting there in the dark, Marcus recounted the news he had heard and he leaned down so he's closer to his crew mates.

He smiled a little, "New's is going around the brigade like wildfire menschen, if what I've heard was true... Then the man himself is back in command, the fearless Generalmajor who'll risk everything to keep his men alive, and who is loved by all of his men too." Marcus said and his smile grew a little wider as he broke the news to them.

Their Generalmajor's finally back in action and the men are overjoyed that their beloved General has returned from his medical leave to lead them to glory once more.

**

That's the end of this chapter everyone, hoped you enjoyed the update!

I'd also like to apologize about already missing an update, it seems like I'm cursed... I ended up loosing my saved final copy and during the editing process my computer decided to freeze up and I was forced to completely restart it.

So I've spent the majority of my late morning up till now in the afternoon rewriting the second chapter :/ ...

Either way, translation and info time! You can skip this if you want :)

**Translation/information**

Oberstleutnant – Lieutenant Colonel

Generalmajor – Brigadier General, or the 1-star general.

Obergefreiter – Senior Corporal

Jawohl herr... Du kommst mit mir! – Yes, sir... You come with me!

Menschen – Men

Oberfeldwebel – Master Sergeant

Ritter Rot- Red Knight

Ost – East

Ostlegionen – Eastern legion

Soldat blick über es, feind Fallschirmjäger wurden im die Feld gesichtet – Soldier look over there, enemy paratroopers were seen in the fields.

Diese ist deine nur Wahl, kommen Sie heraus und aufgeben oder sterbt. – This is your only choice, come out and give up, or die.

Nicht schießen mir bitte, ich komme heraus – Don't shoot me please, I'm coming out.

Dz – Dropzone

Sitrep -Situation report

*

Ostlegionen were larger foreign legion-type units raised amongst members of a specific ethnic minority or minorities, and comprising multiple battalions.

Hopefully, I covered everything, if not and there's still possible questions, feel free to ask in the comments!

Happy reading everyone and don't forget to bayonet that vote button! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 136 28
Saving private Ryan imagines Enjoy :) Requests are open ***No way aimed at the real men during the War*****
107K 1.8K 47
After the Third World War, in 2026, Earth experienced what the people called, "the Great Calamity". this world wide disaster destroyed much of the wo...
7.9K 382 20
w. pierson x reader set before the events of cod ww2! 1943, north africa Due to some luck 20 year old (y/n) (l/n) was able to join the US Army. Want...
Paragon By Cat

Science Fiction

442 8 32
COMPLETED, IN THE PROCESS OF EDITING To our creators, it was a simple plan. They would send us in, wait for us to take out the Prime Order Director...