THE Media Baron's Heiress (BO...

By Sinaidkincaid16

Tessa left her promising life as a corporate attorney behind in New York. She left her beloved childhood hom... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 5

111K 1.7K 97
By Sinaidkincaid16

'Bentley.'

'Yes Mrs. Blakely?'

'Please ask Casey Mason from Audit to come to my office.'

'Will do.'

Tessa made a copy of the Russian Business Daily proposal and proceeded to make confidential notes for herself. She smiled to herself, delighting in putting lines through some of the demanding clauses. She represented the buyer, they would do the demanding. At the knock on her door she closed her file and responded.

'Come in.'

'You wanted to see me Mrs. Blakely?' Casey Mason asked deferentially.

'Yes, take a seat,' Tessa smiled at the rake thin, head of GR's internal audit services. Casey was about two years older than Tessa. He had mousey hair, but he had sharp intelligent looking eyes. Tessa liked GR's head of audit services.

'Thank you Mrs. Blakely,' Casey waited for Tessa to open the discussion.

'Have you sent a forensic team over to Russia?'

'Yes. I have two auditors there for three days now. They have begun with an asset inventory.'

Tessa shook her head, 'at this stage, I'm not too concerned about their assets Casey. GR will absorb the costs of the assets. It will generate a return over time,' her eyes held his to convince him of her prediction. 'What I want very urgently is a market place report. Give me stats on their market share. Do they have any competitive advantage, or geographical strength for that matter? What are their weaknesses, competitor threats, etc?' Tessa rattled off.

'I have read their proposal Mrs. Blakely. There is an addendum listing those statistics.'

'I want a report from our people Casey,' Tessa instructed determinedly, 'I intend to use the data collected from GR's auditors to state my case.'

'Yes Mrs. Blakely.'

'Oh and one more thing Casey, I want a tax clearance certificate, and I want the forensic team to root out any vulnerability to litigation. Have there been any lawsuits filed or pending against the RBD?' Tessa was all too aware that newspapers constantly faced lawsuits. She would need to pencil in any exposure.

'I'll get right onto it Mrs. Blakely,' Casey nodded and exited.

Tessa critically studied Professor Ramsay Daly's translated document with a fine tooth comb. She called the office of UK Department of Trade and Investment and scheduled an appointment. She would seek their guidance on any salient issues that could hamper the success of the purchase of the Russian Business Daily.

'Tessa.'

'Yes darling,' Tessa murmured distractedly, as she was sifting through some audit documents.

'Tessa!' Brad called out a second time. Tessa looked over her shoulder from her meeting table.

Oh, why didn't you tell me you are not alone!

Tessa stood up. 'Hey Thomas,' she smiled at GR's executive financial director as she walked towards her husband. Thomas was middle aged, tall, about a head shorter than Brad. He dressed very smartly, just like GR's Chairman.

'Mrs. Blakely,' Thomas greeted with a smile.

'You're still busy?' Brad raised an eyebrow.

'Yeah,' Tessa looked at her wristwatch, and unconsciously linked her hand into Brad's. 'I'll be home in an hour, if you would like to leave,' she suggested, knowing her husband would find an excuse to stay.

'I actually came to inform you that Thomas and I are still busy, and that I'm going down to his office, if you want to leave,' Brad chuckled.

'I just called Stacy to let her know I'll be late,' Tessa smiled, playfully tugging at her husband's tie. 'You two are not planning on cutting our staff's bonuses are you?'

'Not cutting,' Brad laughed, 'but it's on the agenda.'

'Increasing then?' she grinned, removing Brad's tie.

'Trust a woman to start undressing you Thomas,' Brad laughed 'when she's asks a question like that.'

'I'm sure our staff are thrilled that you so protectively look after their interest Mrs. Blakely.'

'Yeah,' Tessa kissed Brad's cheek, don't let Thomas influence you. I'm sure our employees are looking forward to their hard earned bonuses.'

'We better leave before she undresses me further Thomas. I don't want to know what other benefits she will be fishing for.'

'I'll see you at home,' Brad kissed her on the lips.

'Yeah,' she waved and went back to the table. Tessa smiled as she threw Brad's tie on her table and continued her analysis of the RBT proposal.

'Darling you're still awake?' Tessa lifted Lyndon into her arms. 'Good heavens Stacy!  Sorry about your long day,' Tessa smiled apologetically.

'It was no problem,' she smiled shyly. 'We had a fun day. Lyndon had a swim. I made sure to put his safety floats on,' Stacy assured her.

'Thank you for that Stacy.'

'Then we walked to the lake and fed the ducks and the geese,' Stacy smiled again. 'Lyndon wanted to go fishing, but I'm sorry I don't know how to fish,' Stacy bowed her head apologetically.

'I told Stacy I will teach her momma. My daddy showed me how. I know how to catch the fish, tell Stacy momma.'

'Yes Lyndon caught a fish,' Tessa laughed softly. 'If you want to examine the evidence Stacy, it's in the refrigerator waiting for grandpa,' Tessa rolled her eyes.

'Wow, I'm so proud of you Lyndon. I don't even know how to use a fishing rod.'

'I will show you tomorrow,' Lyndon promised.

'No darling. You will only go fishing when daddy is with you.'

'Where is my daddy momma?' The inside of Lyndon's palm rubbed his eyes, trying to fight his sleepy body.

'Daddy is still busy at the office my angel. Mummy will put you to bed okay.'

'But I want my daddy momma,' Lyndon laid his head on Tessa's shoulder. 'I want my daddy.'

'Mummy will read you ---.'

'Want daddy, momma. Lyndon want daddy,' his palm continued to brush his eyes repeately.

'Thank you Stacy. I think you've had a long enough day, good evening,' Tessa smiled.

'Good evening Mrs. Blakely. Good night Lyndon,' Stacy brushed her fingers to his cheek.

'Night Stacy,' Lyndon half smiled.

'Hey darling, I'm sorry to disturb you,' Tessa cupped her mobile between her ear and her shoulder. 'Lyndon is refusing to go to bed,' she cradled Lyndon against her chest.

'Excuse me a minute Thomas,' Brad walked away from his meeting. 'Tessa, put Lyndon on the line, and walk to his bedroom darling.'

'My daddy, Lyndon wants you,' Lyndon sobbed. 'I want you to read Mr. Woody's Rainforest.'

'Hello son,' Brad smiled. 'Can you open Mr. Woody's Rainforest for me?'

'Mummy put me in my bed. Can I have Mr. Woody's book please,' Lyndon held out his hand. Tessa handed Lyndon his current favourite book, and slid under the duvet with Lyndon. She draped her arm around his shoulder, and helped him hold the book, whilst Lyndon held on tightly to his mummy's mobile.

'I got Mr. Woody's Rainforest daddy,' Lyndon spoke into the mobile.

'What is Mr. Woody doing on the first page?' Brad enquired conversationally.

'Mr Woody is showing me a bird on a big tree my daddy,' Lyndon pointed to the tree.

'Did you know son, that the birds make their home in the tree? That's where they sleep at night.'

'Yes my daddy,' Lyndon flipped to page two, 'Mr. Woody says when we cut the trees down, then the birds have no home,' Lyndon looked sadly at a picture of a decapitated tree and a forlorn bird circulating over a bare tree trunk.

'Turn to the next page son. What do you see there?'

'The cutting men are dragging the tree my daddy. Mr. Woody is showing me how they damage the grass and the forest when they drag the tree.'

Tessa smiled and kissed Lyndon's temple.

'My daddy, Mr. Woody says when we drag the trees, we kill the insects,' Lyndon pointed to more pictures showing insects, worms and bugs that hunt their nutrition from the ground. 'My daddy and you know the animals that eat grass don't have enough food because the grass dies.'

'Yes that's right son, when we cut down trees we must be careful of how we move the trees, so we don't harm the environment.'

'My daddy, Mr. Woody says we must not cut all the trees because we won't have otx---ox-ox.'

'Oxygen, my angel,' Tessa whispered.

'Yes oxygen my dad---,' Lyndon yawned, and his eyes blinked rapidly.

'Please turn the page again son,' Brad could not see his son was almost asleep. 'What is Mr. Woody doing?'

Lyndon's eyes opened for a moment when he heard his daddy's voice, 'He is showing___me the river ___.' The book was released, the mobile dropped onto the duvet. Lyndon's eyelids were closed. His gorgeous long lashes shadowed his cheeks. Tessa lowered him onto his pillow.

Tessa lifted the phone to her ear, 'Aww darling, he's asleep,' Tessa whispered.

'Give him a kiss for me,' Brad urged. Tessa leaned over and kissed Lyndon's chubby cheek.

'Done,' she smiled. 'You going to be long?'

'No, we're wrapping up,' Brad answered tiredly.

'Okay, I'll see you soon.'

'Bentley can I have the client contracts from the RBD's file in Brad's office please.

'Yes, Mrs. Blakely.'

'Whilst she waited for the file. Tessa called Ramsey Daly. 'Hey,' Tessa smiled. 'Could we meet again at our offices,' Tessa requested.

'Hi Tessa,' Ramsey smiled, 'how about at three?'

'Perfect,' Tessa circled the time and penciled the appointment in her diary. Bentley knocked and entered her office empty handed. Tessa raised her eyebrows enquiringly. 'See you at three, Ramsey,' Tessa cut the call.

'The file?' Tessa inquired.

'There are no client contracts in the file,' Bentley stated, wondering why Tessa was meeting Ramsey again.

'What do you mean they are not there?' Tessa asked with controlled irritation. 'Does Brad have them, or did that information not come with the initial proposal in the first place?'

'RBT did not attach that information with the original documents,' I checked the file register.'

If Bentley claimed it had not been originally attached, then that was as good as gospel. Tessa tapped her pen repeatedly on her desk, somewhat annoyed .

'You'll have to---,' Tessa stopped when she observed Bentley staring at Brad's tie on her work table. She had meant to take it home last night. She had been so tired, it had slipped her mind. Bentley's face flushed when he returned his eyes to Tessa, because he knew she had stopped in mid sentence. Tessa stood up and went to retrieve Brad's tie.

'Take your mind out of the gutter Bentley. Your thoughts are misguided,' Tessa picked up the tie, folded it neatly and placed it into her briefcase.

'Sorry,' he murmured.

'Can we get back to business?' she demanded.

'Yes ma'am,' he straightened offering her a sober look.

'I want you to call Darya Titov and I want those client contracts, today,' Tessa emphasized.

'I'll get right onto it,' Bentley affirmed.

'Oh and I have a meeting at three today, with Ramsey Daly.' Bentley managed her dairy and Brad's. He would need to note her appointment.

'Can I help you Bentley?' Brad observed Bentley nervously hovering in his office.

'Mrs. Blakely has another meeting with Ramsey Daly,' Bentley shifted about nervously.

Brad swung his chair away from his laptop and looked squarely at Bentley. 'Has our security handed you an intelligence report yet?' Brad inquired.

'Yes,' Bentley smiled. 'They said this was child's play and that they want work that tests their intelligence or pumps their adrenalin.'

'What did the report reveal? Brad asked with a trace of irritation.

'Yes---Ramsey Daly lives in a town house not too far from Oxford University. He lives alone. His place is messy and he seems to like clutter.'

My wife would never be attracted to a man who lives in a pigsty.

'Intelligence reports,  that they don't think his home's been cleaned in the last year,' Bentley reeled more information. 'He does not seem to be involved in a relationship.'

Brad's one eyebrow shot up immediately.

'He eats at the pub nearby his home every night, and is in bed by ten each evening.' The report adds, Bentley got out with some difficulty, 'that on odd occasions he takes a female back to his town house.'

'So he's meeting my wife today?'

'She made the call. He did not call her,' Bentley added.

'Is Daly in contact with anybody in Russia?' Brad inquired.

'No. The phone records only reflect contacts with individuals in France and Germany, and daily communication with our Department of Trade.'

'Tell the team to continue the monitoring. Fill me in if there is any significant change.'

'Are you sitting in on that meeting this afternoon sir?'

'It's happening here, you say?'

'Yes sir.'

'No, I'll stay out of it.'

Five minutes before Tessa was scheduled to meet Ramsey Daly, Brad casually strolled into her office. Tessa's eyebrows rose as she looked at her husband suspiciously.

'What can I do for you Blakely?'

Brad smiled wrapping his arms around Tessa.

'Umm---I really cannot make love to you right now Blakely,' Tessa eyed the time on her wrist watch.

'I never thought I'd hear those words from your lips,' Brad laughed.

'What's up,' Tessa laughed.

'I'm going home,' Brad swayed about with his arms around her waist. Tessa's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

'Just like that?' she laughed again.

'Amazingly my diary's empty and nothing really needs my attention right now,' Brad's lips worried at her neck.

'Brad---don't do that,' she whispered, trying to keep him at arm's length.

'So I'll see you at home,' Brad kissed her on the lips.

'Yes.  I love you,' she kissed him back.

'I love you too,' Brad released her and walked out to Bentley's desk.

'Tessa should be done with her meeting in about an hour Bentley. I'm driving Tessa's car home. Have one of the limos bring my wife home,' Brad instructed.

'Mrs. Blakely prefers to drive herself sir.'

Brad ignored Bentley's comment. 'After she leaves, you may leave as well.' 'Instruct the surveillance team to follow Daly for the next forty eight hours, Bentley. In the meantime I'm going home.'

'You're leaving Mrs. Blakely alone with Ramsey Daly, sir?'

'You're here Bentley,' Brad nodded and exited.

Tessa was about to leave the office when she picked up the call on her mobile.

'Keri?' Tessa answered with absolute amazement, as she packed up her briefcase.

Hi Tessa, how are you?' Came the long distance reply.

'My word, Keri Packer! It's been so long,' Tessa laughed, hardly able to believe she was talking to her former P.A. from Kern and Byron.

'I know,' Keri laughed. 'I'm so glad you answered your mobile.'

'How's New York?' Tessa laughed, 'and how are you? We have not spoken in like three years.'

Tessa heard Keri's soft laugh, 'New York's doing just great.'

Tessa dropped her briefcase on the table and sat down again.

'Keri are you okay?'

'Not really,'' came the soft response.

'What's wrong?'

'How much time do you have?' Keri laughed. Tessa wanted to go home to her husband and her son, but she decided to give Keri a few minutes.

'Talk to me Keri,' Tessa urged.

'Oh Tessa, I don't know where to start. I mean I thought we were happy. I thought he loved me.'

'We're talking about Max?' Tessa asked. She remembered Keri was dating Max.

'Yes,' Keri sobbed. 'Three months ago he proposed to me.' Keri stared at the engagement ring on her wedding finger, and sobbed again. 'Last Friday was Max's birthday. I came home early to prepare a surprise dinner for him. Sirloin steaks, champagne, and his favourite dessert, and what did I find Tessa?'

Tessa closed her eyes, she was too afraid to think the worst, but if Keri was calling her after three years, and sobbing her heart out, she did not have to think too hard.

'I find him with his pants down Tessa, with this naked bimbo busy on the kitchen table,' she sobbed more loudly. 'I can't get that revolting image out of my head.'

'Oh no!  I'm so sorry Keri.'

'I dropped everything on the floor. Ran out, got into my car and went to my mom's place,' she spoke hysterically.

'Oh Keri.'

'I loved him. How could he do this to me? We've been together for so long. I'm wondering just how long he's been unfaithful behind my back. And how could he propose to me if he is obviously not ready to take his vows?'

'I don't know what to say,' Tessa murmured.

'I can't bear to be here anymore Tessa. I just wish I could go to the other end of the world where nobody knows me. I can't bear to be in the same city as Max. You know he works in the building next to us. I mean next to Kern and Byron.'
Tessa smiled, Keri still regarded Tessa as part of Kern and Byron.

'Keri are you serious about wanting to go far away?'

Keri was silent for too long.

'Keri?'

'Oh Tessa, no! I did not mean to ask you for any favours. I mean, I just wanted to talk to you. You were always so caring. I miss you, you know,' she smiled. 'You were always such a live wire and always so much fun.'

Not always Keri.

'Keri, how about you come visit for a week? I will arrange everything.'

'No Tessa. I can't expect that from you. I only wanted a sympathetic ear, even though you were my boss,' she laughed. 'You were an amazing friend as well,' Keri smiled.

'Keri, I insist. I will have a ticket for you at the airport, and you will be picked up here.'

'No---, you're married now. I don't want to be an inconvenience. How is that good looking husband of yours by the way?' she smiled. 'And your baby should be about three now right?'

'Brad's fine, thank you' Tessa laughed. 'Yes. Lyndon is three years old.' Keri knew when Tessa was pregnant, before she left New York.

'Wow, can't imagine you being the family type Tessa.'

'Oh, it just came so naturally,' Tessa laughed. 'Now when can you pack and be ready?' Tessa demanded.

'Oh, I suppose within forty eight hours. I will arrange for some leave,' she smiled.

'Good, look I know you need some space Keri. We have a fabulous apartment right here in London. That used to be Brad's bachelor apartment,' Tessa laughed.

He had wanted to sell it after they married. Tessa had rather tastefully redecorated it and had it turned into guests apartments for visiting friends and relatives who wished to stay in London instead of at their Surrey home. Brad had hardly recognized it when Tessa had completed the decor.

'So you can just hang out as you please. How does that sound?'

'Oh you are just so amazing,' Keri smiled.

'I'm looking forward to seeing you,' Tessa smiled.

'Will I get to see your baby?'

'Yeah, off course,' Tessa laughed. 'We will visit you at the apartment. We will talk again tomorrow okay,' Tessa ended the call.

Tessa sighed, dropped her mobile on the desk and leaned back on her chair. Keri's predicament reminded Tessa of those desolate early months of her own marriage when she'd almost lost Brad. Not that Brad had ever been unfaithful. Tessa thought back to how she had stubbornly refused to put in any effort to make a success of their marriage. Brad thinking she did not love him and that the marriage was a failure, had offered her, her freedom and had returned to England. Only at Bentley's insistence, had Tessa taken the life altering decision and gone to Brad with her heart in her hand. She shut her eyes and thanked God for all she had now. If God could just grant her one more blessing, she and her husband wanted another baby.

'Mrs. Blakely,' Bentley softly knocked on her door.

Tessa's eyes flew open. 'You're still here?' Tessa stood up and picked up her briefcase. Bentley generally left when Brad did. She wondered why he was still hovering around. She had not needed him for anything.

'I was busy with something, but I'm ready to leave now.' He had texted Brad to say Ramsey Daly had left and that Tessa was still in her office.

'So am I Bentley.'

'The limo's waiting for you. Mr. Blakely has taken your car home.'

Tessa's eyes flew to Bentley's enquiringly. He was looking everywhere but directly at Tessa.
Oh well.  It was a good thing she did not need to drive tonight, she was kind of in a reflective mood after Keri's call and would enjoy being chauffeured tonight.

'Good bye Bentley. See you in the morning.'

'Good bye Mrs. Blakely.

When Tessa walked into her living room she found her two gorgeous men on the floor. Brad was relaxed, spread out on his side, his elbow on a cushion, one palm supporting his head. Lyndon was on his tummy, his chin resting in the centre of his clasped hands. A chess board separated both the adorable men of her life. Tessa scanned the board and saw her husband was granting no favours to their son. Brad was the first to see her. Tessa put one index finger to her lip and stealthily made her way to her son.

'Good evening my angel,' she knelt down and kissed his cheek.

'Momma,' Lyndon threw his arms tightly around Tessa's neck.

Brad cautiously observed his wife. She had smiled at him, but her smile had not reached her eyes. He knew she was livid because he'd brought her car home. He would have to face the music later when they were alone. She would not tackle him now. He was protected by the presence of their son.

'Hi,' Tessa reached over and kissed Brad.

'Hi darling.'

'Look momma, look how many ponds of daddy's I have.'

'Pawns my angel,' Tessa smiled. Whilst Lyndon was proud of the many pawns of his daddy's that he'd captured, Brad held many of Lyndon's more valuable pieces.

'Meeting go well?' Brad attempted to gauge the depth of the danger he was in.

'Yes,' came the monosyllabic response and he got his answer. Tessa held Lyndon in her arms as he prepared to make his next move.

'You okay?' Brad persisted, running one hand down her arm. Sometimes he was a sucker for punishment.

'We'll talk about it later,' Tessa lifted her head to Brad's, smiled and refocused on the chess board. He got a smile, he was cautiously optimistic. Tessa lowered her head and whispered into Lyndon's ear.

'Use your knight and remove daddy's queen.'

Brad saw the exchange and noisily cleared his throat disapprovingly.

'That one momma?' Lyndon pointed to the knight he thought his mummy referred to.

'Yes,' Tessa laughed and Brad joined her.

'I got your queen daddy,' Lyndon was triumphant.

'No interference from the peanut gallery,' Brad stated gravely as he made his next move. Lyndon looked at him mummy for guidance. Tessa bit on her lip and suppressed a grin. Lyndon reached out and his hand went to the wrong piece. He felt his mother's disapproval even though she had not spoken. His hand retreated, he looked up again to his mummy.'

'Play son,' Brad instructed.

'Check,' Lyndon announced, shifting his castle in front of his daddy's king, and looked again at his mummy. Tessa said nothing. She kissed his temple and smiled encouragingly, even though he'd made the wrong move.

'Check,' Brad used his bishop and removed Lyndon's threatening castle. Lyndon gasped. His eyes urged his mummy for support.

'Study the board darling. How can you protect your king?' Tessa encouraged.

Lyndon studied the board, looked at his opponent wearily, adjusted his position on his mummy's lap and returned his eyes to the board. Tessa sat still and held her breath as he made the wrong move.

'Check mate,' Brad smiled triumphantly.

'Daddy is too good for me momma,' Lyndon smiled, hugging his mummy.

'You will get better darling. You play exceptionally well. You are still my little baby,' she hugged him back.

'Darling, let's have dinner?' Brad stood up and held out his hand to Tessa.

As they lay in bed, Brad pondered on what was occupying his wife's mind. Since they'd sat down to dinner, she'd been subdued. She had diligently attended to their son, she was in the room physically, but mentally she was not with them at all. He'd thought he was in trouble with her for browbeating her by bringing her car home and arranging for the limo to bring her home. He was most pleasantly surprised when Tessa was the one to reach out to him and initiate their lovemaking. Now she was snuggled in his arms, her cheek on his chest, but she seemed to be in a world of her own.

'Darling,' Brad kissed her forehead. Tessa seemed to emerge out of a trance as she looked up into Brad's face.

'Am I in trouble for bringing your car home?' Brad brushed the loose strands of her hair away from her face. Tessa wrinkled her brow and looked at her husband in confusion.

'No,' the confused look remained on her face.

'What's wrong?' He was silently rejoicing that he was not in trouble.

'I've just been wondering,' she whispered, cupping his face, 'what my life would have been like if I remained in New York, when you returned to England.'

Brad shifted his head back a bit to study her face, 'are you regretting coming to me?'

'No! Never.' she answered instantly. 'You know I love you with all my heart,' she brushed her lips to his.

'But something's on your mind,' Brad traced his thumb down her cheek.

'Do you remember my P.A. when I worked at Kern and Byron?' Tessa breathed against the palm of his hand.

Brad raised his eyebrows enquiringly, he had to rack his brains a while. Tessa was talking about somebody from like three years ago, and as far as Brad could remember he's see her perhaps once.

'I vaguely remember the day I came to your office asking you to come to London with me,' Brad replied.
How could Tessa forget that day, the day Brad ended their marriage and returned to England.

'What about her?' he prompted.

'Keri called me today.'
Brad waited, allowing Tessa to gather her thoughts and continue. 'She told me something most disheartening.'

Brad's heart stilled. He wondered about the implications of what Tessa was not saying. Was she hinting she'd like to return to New York?

'Keri went home early from work and found her fiance---with another woman.' Tessa decided to leave out the gory details. Brad gathered Tessa closer to him. He pressed a kiss against her temple.

'I'm sorry to hear that,' he murmured.

'Me too,' Tessa whispered.

Brad was still trying to fathom how this affected his wife now, when she answered his unasked question. 'I've invited Keri to spend a week at our London apartment.'

'Oh that's a thoughtful idea,' he contained his relief.

'I'm hoping to offer her a job as my P.A. again.'

'Would Keri want to relocate?'

'I don't know. I will ask her at the end of her week here.'

'Is that all that's troubling you?' Brad found a surge of relief filling his body.

'No.'

'No?' he echoed, his relief, immediately dampened.

'When am I going to fall pregnant? I've been off the pill for six months now,'

'Perhaps you should go back on the pill.'

'What?'

'The first time you fell pregnant whilst on the pill,' he smiled.

'That's not funny darling. I want another baby,' she sighed.

'I'm sorry,' Brad was contrite. He was not too concerned. He was fully persuaded Tessa will fall pregnant shortly, but Brad was totally sympathetic to his adorable wife's yearning. When they had been lovers, he'd never thought Tessa would know the first thing about being a mother, but she had totally surprised him.

'Tessa, don't stress hmm. You and I are both healthy, we've been checked out,' he hugged her. 'Let nature take its course, like the doc suggested.' Brad lifted her chin. 'We have a beautiful baby. We can be thankful. There are others in the world who have been trying for so much more longer than us and don't even have one child.'

'I guess,' she whispered, her eyes still looking desolate.

Tessa returned from her meeting with the Department of Trade. She was confident to proceed with negotiations for the purchase of the Russian Business Daily. Just for good measure Tessa had marked the Russian proposal confidential and had sent it to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to be translated. She was delighted that Ramsey Daly had been spot on. Tessa now perused the client contracts that Bentley managed to extricate from Darya Titov. She was also armed with the forensic reports from her own auditors.

'Bentley.'

'Yes Mrs. Blakely?'

'Can you find out if Darya Titov is available this afternoon please?'

Tessa only waited five minutes before Bentley was buzzing her with a response. Tessa was amazed Ms. Titov had responded so expeditiously.

'Ms. Titov can see you at sixteen hundred hours this afternoon.'

'Perfect, set it up.'

'Should I invite Mr. Blakely to the meeting?'

I'm sure I won't get an audience with Ms. Titov if my husband is not present.

'Go ahead invite him.'

At precisely sixteen hundred hours, Darya Titov was ushered into Tessa's office. Tessa stood up from her desk, and walked to Darya.

'Ms. Titov good afternoon, thank you for seeing me,' Tessa extended her hand in greeting then pointed to the meeting table for Darya to take a seat. Darya was in her feminine best today. A figure hugging day dress clinging to her curvaceous body, her blonde hair was loose, like a fountain cascading over her shoulders. She seemed to favour the same brand of killer high stilettos that Tessa favoured.

'Mrs. Blakely, good afternoon,' Darya greeted in a courteous, yet thick accented voice. Darya was surprised that Tessa was in a formal business suit, her brunette hair in a ponytail. It did not look like Tessa had gone through any special trouble for their meeting today. Darya smiled inwardly, as she crossed her slender legs and got comfortable.

'Is Brad joining us?' Tessa inquired of Bentley.

'He is on his way. He is just on an international call,' Bentley apologized. 'May I offer you some refreshments, Ms. Titov?'

Darya's eyes scanned Bentley up and down. He returned her gaze unflinchingly.

Good on you Bentley.

'Mineral water for me thank you,' she looked down her nose at Bentley.

He looked at his boss's wife. Ms. Titov and his boss's wife seemed to have much in common. Tessa looked away from the bemused look in Bentley's eyes. Sometimes she wanted to strangle the little devil.

'Good afternoon Darya,' Brad strode in briskly. 'Tessa,' Brad smiled at his wife. 'Sorry to keep you waiting, ladies.'

'Ah good afternoon Bradley,' Darya flashed Brad one of her seductive smiles. 'Lovely to see you again,' her eyes took its time giving him the once over.

Tessa's raised eyebrows went from Brad to Darya. Brad expected fireworks instead, Tessa started her meeting.

'Ms. Titov, thank you once again for affording us your time,' Tessa looked her squarely in the eye, not bothering to offer her any polite smiles.

'How can I be of assistance?' Darya invited smugly. Her eyes bore into Tessa coldly.

'I have studied your proposal,' Tessa started.

'You have?' Darya was disappointed. She had expected Tessa to have called her for clarification on a million issues regarding the proposal.

'Yes,' Tessa continued. 'There are a few clauses I find contentious.'

'Do you now?' Darya smiled cunningly.
Tessa was aware of her deliberate ploy to unstable her. She allowed Darya to continue with her game.

'Firstly,' Tessa stated, 'Global Review has two options to pursue, either through stock or asset sale.'

'That does not need to form part of discussions,' Darya interrupted. She looked at Brad. 'Bradley you promised to look at the stock sale option.'

Tessa calmly leaned back in her chair, waited for Brad to respond. Brad casually linked his hands together, as his mind prepared to articulate a response. Tessa smiled inwardly, her son amazingly copied that stance from his daddy.

Don't go off on a rabbit trail Tessa. She came back just in time to hear Brad respond.

'The operative words being "look at" Darya. You are fully aware that you and I have not in principle committed to anything before this meeting could have been held.'

'My principles wish to enter into a stock sale agreement,' she argued.

'I'm afraid we cannot agree to the stock sale route. Our due diligence study does not support us buying the Russian Business Daily and operating it as is; as a running business,' Tessa stated firmly.

'What are you proposing?' Darya was less generous with her cold smiles.

'I am proposing that GR pursue the Asset sale option---'

'I cannot agree to that,' Darya interrupted.

'There is no way I will allow GR to agree to a stock sale and risk lawsuits of undisclosed liabilities, which will be the case if we blindly agree to your principal's demands to a stock sale,' Tessa started to unload her weapons.

'Darya are you aware of any litigation against RBD?'

'Before you answer Ms. Titov, I must caution you, as legal representative of RBD, how you answer will be regarded as legally binding and shall be used against you in a court of law.'

'Not as far as I know to my knowledge,' Darya answered between clenched teeth.

Tessa and Brad exchanged looks. Tessa nodded almost imperceptibly. RBD was not facing any lawsuits. Her auditors had verified that. Tessa had just dealt Darya a heavy hand just to shake her complacency.

'You may inform your principals Ms. Titov, GR will only pursue the asset sale option, and that shall not be negotiable,' Tessa informed her.

'I want a firm offer to purchase,' Darya demanded.

'I can offer a letter of intent,' Tessa countered.

Darya smiled wickedly, she knew Tessa's letter of intent was non- binding.

'I also insist,' Tessa added, 'that a clause be added allowing GR to adjust its purchase price in the event of undisclosed liabilities that may arise after settlement.'

'That is ridiculous!' Darya exclaimed.

'Perhaps RBD shall agree then, to honour all liabilities up to one hundred and eighty days after the purchase.'

Darya sunk lower in her seat. Since she'd walked in she'd not won one single point. Tessa Blakely was conceding nothing.
So Bradley Blakely had been correct about his wife.

'Ms. Titov, you were aware we placed field operatives in Moscow to conduct an audit at RBD.'

'Yes,' Darya glared at Tessa.

'There is a discrepancy between the subscription figures in your submission and that of our auditors.'

'How so?' Darya demanded, her face was becoming red like a lobster.

'I'm inclined to deduce your figures are ... inflated, and may I submit, I consider my forensic official's figures to be a true reflection.'

'Darya if that is the case, this definitely affects the purchase price.'

'Our figures are based on revenue achieved from subscriptions and circulations!'

'They do not tally Ms. Titov. I have personally studied the circulation figures and the income report. 'You indicate more revenue, than the actual income derived from your customers. That suggests to me the income allocated against subscriptions was ...doctored.'

'Are you making an insinuation Mrs. Blakely?'

'Are you denying it?' Tessa rebutted. 'Perhaps you and I can go to Moscow and verify these discrepancies.'

Darya shifted in her chair uneasily. 'I have not "doctored" the figures as you claim, Mrs. Blakely. RBD utilized a service provider to obtain the circulation figures. It was hoped they would be objective in their assignment.'

'Perhaps there was an error in the data processing then?' Tessa could not resist, before she continued. 'The selling price demanded by RBD was based on the strength of circulation figures and RBD's long term clients.'

'Yes,' Darya agreed cautiously. Her eyes shifted from Brad to Tessa.

'Three of RBD's five major long term client contracts have lapsed,' Tessa informed Darya. Our auditors called those clients about extending the contracts.' Tessa pushed a file towards Darya.

'There are signed letters in there from those client stating that they categorically do not wish to renew their business contracts with RBD.'

'Darya, I'm not sure I want to pursue this sale any longer, and I warned you not to underestimate my wife!'

Tessa's head swung to Brad.
What the hell did that mean? Had Brad and Darya been discussing her competency?

'Darya, three years ago my wife took on the Russian government in court and won her case!'
Darya looked at Brad unbelievingly. 'I'm sure you'll find the records back home,' Brad stated, standing up. 'I suggest you go back to your principals and inform them I find their incompetence distasteful. Good afternoon Darya,' Brad hit the buzzer on Tessa's desk.

Bentley was immediately at the door. 'Please see Ms. Titov out Bentley.'

Darya stormed out forgetting her manners. Brad looked down at his wife studying all her ammunition and shaking her head. He walked to her and lifted her out off her seat.

'Why on earth did you not alert me to all this incompetence?'

'I wanted a one on one with Ms. Titov.'

'You annihilated her,' Brad murmured.

'You feeling sorry for her? I'm sure she's looking for a broad shoulder to cry on.'

'My shoulders are not available to her,' Brad stated.

'I'm glad to hear that,' she draped her arms around his neck, and hugged him. 'I'll be ready to leave in an hour,' Tessa murmured.

             -end chapter five-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 127 16
WARNING: PTSD and trauma is mentioned, don't read if you're sensitive to stuff like that 19 year old Charlotte Miller had been enjoying a very comfor...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...
10.3K 306 24
Isabella was taking away from her home when she a little child when Viking raded her village. Years later she finder herself heartbroken by the man t...
3.7K 576 53
Gorgeous boss, handsome coworker, ex who cheated. Will anyone break down Caroline's barriers and win her heart, and will her past come back to haunt...