Chameleon In New York

By MNJGreenhill

Sydney has managed to rebuild her life from the ashes and forge one that is filled with secrets and half-trut... More

CHAPTER 1 | outed
CHAPTER 2 | the favour
CHAPTER 3 | friction burn
CHAPTER 4 | the game
CHAPTER 5 | long road to recovery
CHAPTER 6 | what are friends for?
CHAPTER 7 | it had been going so well
CHAPTER 8 | the english rose
CHAPTER 9 | a change in tactic
CHAPTER 10 | first class desire
CHAPTER 11 | murphy's law
CHAPTER 12 | stones
CHAPTER 13 | crimson tide
CHAPTER 14 | you've got mail
CHAPTER 15 | family reunion
CHAPTER 16 | it's never too late
CHAPTER 17 | out
CHAPTER 18 | diesel v statham
CHAPTER 19 | burden of guilt
CHAPTER 20 | cat's out of the bag!
CHAPTER 21 | judgement day
CHAPTER 22 | girl talk
CHAPTER 23 | the speech
CHAPTER 24 | late night walk
CHAPTER 25 | famous last words
CHAPTER 26 | the faire
CHAPTER 27 | double jeopardy
CHAPTER 29 | revealed
CHAPTER 30 | Epilogue
Help Please!!!!!

CHAPTER 28 | ben & jerry's

70.9K 3.5K 444
By MNJGreenhill

  📎A/N  Hello my lovelies .... I hope your week has started out well and you are all safe.  This chapter is a little long, so settle in with some popcorn and soda and get ready for a roller-coaster ride ;-)

Don't forget to vote if you enjoy the chapter, and all feedback appreciated.

Take care

  ❤ ℳ 

 ❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Sydney blankly stared at the door in which Ethan had exited. Her emotions were running the gauntlet and she was trying to ignore the overwhelming grief that came with a sudden loss.

For a few hours, she had managed to suspend the feeling of impending doom. Ethan's presence alone had pushed her dark thoughts into the recess of her mind and allowed her to relish the moment. Fleeting though it was, she had enjoyed how she felt when he was near her. However, the further the evening progressed, the more her defences had broken and she knew he would need to hear the news of her father's arrest from her and not the media. No matter how much it tore her heart out to tell him, it needed to be done.

Sydney understood his reluctance to involve Walter in any possible scandal. In fact, the moment she had mentioned her scheduled visit with his brother, she knew for all their sakes she shouldn't go near him.

Once the news of the arrest hit the street, it would become a feeding frenzy. While she knew she'd existed under the radar for years, she was delusional if she thought that would last. If they looked deep enough, knew the right people, and vested a bit of an effort, it would lead to her.

She also understood the impact to Ethan's career, should it become known that he was associating with a member of the Hutton family. His high profile ensured he lived life under the microscope. It didn't matter who he knew or how much above reproach he was, he would be tainted with her family's scandal.

Sydney turned off the lights and sunk back into her overstuffed couch. She was teetering between grief and anger. This was their death knell. She would never see him again and it tore at her insides making her feel raw and exposed. Despite all that had happened, she couldn't blame him. He needed to protect Walter, and distancing themselves was the only way to do it.

For once, something greater than the anger against her parents consumed her and the tentative hold on her emotions disintegrated. Sydney reached for a pillow and held onto it for dear life as she broke down; the crippling sobs wracked her body, crushing her heart with each laboured breath she took. She had finally found someone who knew who she was and any chance of happiness was once again snatched away from her before she could bask in the feeling. For the smallest window of time, she had allowed herself the fantasy that life could be different.

It wasn't until she was spent that Sydney realised she would have to be the one to break the news to Ivy, Victor and Grace. She curled up on the couch and stared at the darkness that accompanied her mood. Anger at the callous way in which her parents had destroyed the small amount of joy that had managed to seep into her life swelled and overflowed and Sydney continued to lay on the couch, tears flowing as the realised she had never felt so alone.

***

Sydney breathed a sigh of relief when she heard her uncle arrive home. Ivy's face had drained of colour the moment Sydney had broken the news to her and Grace, and her normally unflappable temperament had been shaky, to say the least.

Grace had been trying to get her mother to lie down, but Ivy refused to budge until her husband arrived home with an update. Once she had gotten over the initial shock of her sister's arrest and deportation, Ivy had phoned Victor, who promised to find out more information.

The moment Sydney's uncle walked into the room, he rushed to his wife's side. "Are you okay? Should I ring Dr Chen?"

Ivy reached out for his hand and gave him a weak smile. "Don't fuss dear. I'll be fine. It was just a bit of a shock, that's all."

Sydney understood his concern; this sort of revelation would be playing havoc with her heart condition.

Victor bent down and kissed Ivy tenderly, distressed at the possible effect on Ivy's health this would undoubtedly cause. The only time Sydney had ever seen her aunt and uncle disagree on anything, was over her parents.

He straightened up and looked over at Grace and Sydney. "I pulled in a few favours and found someone who knew what's going on. It wasn't easy information to get hold of, the authorities are keeping this one under wraps."

"Is it true? They've arrested Penelope?" Ivy asked, in a rush.

Victor glanced at his wife. It was clear he didn't mimic the concern for Sydney's mother as his wife. "Yes. She's gotten herself into a fine mess this time. She was with David when the authorities caught up with him."

He turned and glanced at Sydney. "Their flights not due until later this evening. Once they arrive, the FBI will take them straight to central booking where they'll be charged and held overnight until they can be arraigned in the morning."

"You need to get in contact with your mother's attorney," Ivy said to Sydney.

"No need," Victor interrupted, "It turns out their lawyers have already been contacted and will meet them at central booking."

Grace, who had gone to fetch her mother's medication, returned with a glass of water in one hand and a small bottle of pills in the other. "What are they being charged with?" she asked as she handed Ivy the glass.

"So far no one know, but one things for certain, they won't entertain any conversation about bail for David," Victor paused before he finished with, "Penelope may be another story."

Ivy swallowed two pills and handed the empty glass to Grace. "She must be beside herself," she said more to herself than the others.

"That's a bed she chose to lie in," Victor said curtly as his face hardened. There was no love lost between him and Penelope, whom he had put up with for years for the sake of keeping the peace with his wife.

"How much do you think they'll set bail at?" Sydney asked her uncle.

Victor shrugged. "It's hard to say, but my guess would be between 250 thousand and half a million."

"I'll phone Marcus to move some funds around," Ivy said as she began to rise.

"No," Sydney interrupted. "You can't get involved, you need to stay well out of this. I'll put up the house at the Vineyard."

Ivy frowned and shook her head. "No, you can't. You worked hard for that."

Sydney crossed her arms over her chest and said, "And you and Uncle Victor can't continue to be responsible for her either. No. For better or for worse she's my mother and it's my responsibility."

"But—"

Victor cut Ivy off before she could finish what she was about to say. "Dear, this is Sydney's call."

"Fine," Ivy agreed and sat back down. Her expression clearly not happy with the situation. "But I'll go with you to court. You can't go alone."

Victor's response was swift and to the point. "You will do no such thing. Your heart condition started with David and Penelope's stupidity. I won't have you stressed even further by being there. It'll be a circus. If I have to have Dr Chen sedate you, I will."

Sydney agreed with her uncles sentiment. None of them could risk the publicity. "Aunt Ivy, Uncle Victor is right. You can't get involved."

"You can't go down to the courthouse alone. What if they recognise you?" Ivy protested.

"I won't be alone, Jackson will be there. Besides, they'll be too busy trying to get information from the defence team than worry about who I am. It'll be fine. You'll see."

She could tell Ivy was still not convinced.

"And before you suggest Grace go with me," said Sydney, anticipating the next words from her aunt. "I won't have her anywhere near this. Her profile and your foundation won't survive the bad publicity this is bound to attract."

Ivy's eyes filled with tears "Oh sweetheart, I can't believe you have to go through this again. What was she thinking?"

Sydney made her way over to her aunt, sat down beside her and pulled her into a warm embrace. "I'll be okay. I'll be in and out of there before anyone notices."

She just hoped she sounded more convincing than she felt.

"Sydney, you know I'm more than happy to give you the money to cover your mothers bail," Victor said as he was walking her to the door a while later. There was no putting off what needed to be done.

She smiled up at him and replied, "I know Uncle Vic, and I love the fact that you would offer, especially in light of what I know you think of my parents. But I won't risk you and Aunt Ivy coming under the magnifying glass. It's best for everyone if you stay well away from this."

Victor pulled her into a quick hug, his gruff exterior was starting to unravel, and she could see the concern for her escalate with each passing moment. She was thankful, not for the first time, that she had Victor and Ivy in her life. While they weren't her mother and father, they were the parents hers would never be.

***

Sydney spent the rest of the day in meetings with her bank manager arranging for the required finance as well as meeting with her mother's lawyer and the criminal defence attorney he had brought in to handle her case.

As she walked into her building after a long and harrowing day, she was surprised to see Jackson waiting for her in the lobby.

The moment he saw Sydney, he rushed towards her. "Thank God, we were ready to call the police."

"What are you talking about?" she asked, confused at his panic.

"We've been trying to phone you all day."

Sydney fished her cell out of her bag and groaned when she saw she had missed seventeen calls and over two dozen messages from Jackson, Grace and Stephen. "I forgot to take it off silent."

Jackson followed her up to her apartment and she gave him a quick rundown of her meetings.

"I wished you had let me know. I would have gone with you," he said, his displeasure at not involving him was hard to miss.

"You had enough of your own demons to face, I thought it better I sorted it."

"So what did he say," he asked, referring to their mother's criminal defence lawyer.

She sighed and let out a deep breath as she kicked off her shoes. "He's pretty sure they don't have anything on mom. The authorities haven't let on what they'll be charging either of them with, but whatever it is, there's a high probability mom will be granted bail."

"God I hope so, she won't last one night in jail."

"Well she'll need to," remarked Sydney. "They've timed it perfectly and it will be too late to arraign them tonight. Mom's lawyer warned me that it could be up to twenty-four hours after charges have been laid before they appear in court."

***

Sydney and Jackson kept vigil, staring at her phone as the afternoon turned to evening. With each passing hour, their conversation lulled, both distraught with not knowing what their future held.

Sydney couldn't help but feel as though it was she who was walking to the gallows. As her chest tightened and her panic swelled, her mind kept drifting to Ethan. She wondered what he was doing, and more than once wished he were there telling her that everything was going to be all right.

When the phone rang sometime after midnight, they both leapt in fright at the sudden noise.

Sydney answered it before the second ring. "Sydney Regas."

She didn't break eye contact with Jackson throughout the entire call as she nodded and asked clipped questions.

"Well?" Jackson asked after she had ended the call. He was now sitting so far forward on the couch she was surprised he was still seated.

"They've both been charged, and the FBI want to start questioning them now."

Jackson glanced at his watch. "This late."

"Frank couldn't really talk but he said he doubts they'll be arraigned in the morning."

"Why not?"

"His best bet was they wanted to coincide it with tomorrow evening's news cycle."

Jackson stood and began to pace the room. "Fuck!"

"Look, there's nothing much we can do tonight," she said getting up. "We'll just need to wait for his call on when to meet them at the courthouse."

Her brother halted his path and turned back to her, concern now replaced his sudden anger. "Are you sure you're up to this?"

"I'll have to be," she replied closing her eyes for a brief moment. Opening them again, she sighed and let out a defeated breath. "Well, you're going to be no use if you don't get some sleep. You can crash in my spare room and we'll work out what to do next in the morning."

Jackson raked his fingers through his hair and shook is head in disbelief. "I sometimes wonder how you managed to be born into our fucked up family and not be as messed up as the rest of us."

She chuckled as she led him down the corridor. "It all depends on your definition of fucked up."

As convinced as she was that there was no way she was going to be able to fall asleep, Sydney found her mind drifting to Ethan and her troubled soul settled before she managed to doze off sometime after three am.

***

The following morning, adamant she needed to resume her normal routine, Sydney focused on work. The last couple of days had put her behind and she was happy for the distraction of trolling through her latest manuscripts edits which Stephen had sent through the previous week.

Jackson, knowing it might be a while before he was able to attend an NA meeting, dashed off before breakfast in hopes he could make it to his local chapter on time. However, despite the need to keep things normal, she found herself stalking the local news channels to see if news of her father's arrest had been leaked to the press. She didn't know whether to be relieved or concerned as the morning drew on and there was no hint of her father being prime time news.

Sydney had just made herself a cup of coffee when the buzzer went off, alerting her to someone in the foyer downstairs.

Her immediate reaction was to panic. Perhaps the press had caught wind of her father's return and had managed to track her down? Chastising herself for being stupid, she quickly made her way to the door and pressed the intercom.

"Yes?"

Relief spread through her veins when she heard Grace's voice. "Hey, it's me! Arnold's not here, can you buzz me up?"

"What are you doing here?" Sydney asked when she let her cousin in a few minutes later with two large grocery bags balanced in her arms.

"You don't think I'd let you go through this nightmare on your own did you? I may not be allowed to go to the courthouse, but I can certainly wait with you until then." Grace placed the bags on the counter top and turned back to face Sydney, who had followed her to the kitchen. "How are you holding up?" she asked.

Sydney waved off her cousins concern. "Okay considering. It's Jackson I'm more worried about."

"He'll be fine. He's done a lot of growing up. Besides, Stephen will keep him in line." Grace paused, a frown now marred her features. "Speaking on which, have you heard from him? I tried phoning earlier but it went straight to voicemail."

"He's picking up Jackson from his NA meeting and he'll be bringing him back here," Sydney replied as she watched Grace unpack the bags. Much to her surprise, Grace had brought copious amounts of Sydney's favourite chocolate and tubs of Ben and Jerry's. She took a seat at the breakfast bar. "So what does Mason say about all this? I'm assuming you've told him?"

Grace nodded and said, "He's just as worried about you as the rest of us. The sooner this mess is over, the better." She then put the last of the ice-cream in the freezer and took a seat next to Sydney. "Have you heard from Mac today?"

Sydney stared at her hands, which had started to fidget at the mention of Ethan's name. "No and I don't expect to," she said, then added as an afterthought, "Not that I can blame him."

Grace's eyebrows knitted together and she frowned as she shook her head from side to side. "What are you talking about?"

"He arrived the other night just after I got the news. He was polite and everything, but he made it clear that he couldn't be involved in the scandal."

Grace visibly balked. "Are you sure you understood him correctly?"

"There was no other way to interpret it. I won't be seeing him or Walter again."

"I know you're stressed," said Grace as she continued to shake her head. "But you couldn't be more wrong. He's just spent every waking moment since he left you the other night working out how to keep your name out of this."

Sydney's head snapped up towards her cousin. "He's what?"

"I don't know the full story, but some woman he works with recognised you. He was going to tell you, but with your news, he didn't want to make you more upset than you already were. He knew the moment the news got out about your father, she would go straight to the press and send them to you."

Sydney's eyes opened in panic. "Oh God, no!"

Grace put a reassuring hand on her arm and said, "Calm down, I said he's trying to fix it."

Sydney's brain jumped back to the night at the Carlton where she had met Ethan's colleagues. There was no doubt in her mind who had recognised her. It had been more than obvious Janet had taken an immediate dislike to her. Her carefully constructed life was about to unravel.

Sydney placed her elbows on the counter and rested her head in her hands. "How could he possibly fix it? I've only met the women once, and I can tell you now she doesn't seem the type to back down."

Grace raced over to the freezer and grabbed out two tubs of ice-cream. Before returning to her seat, she grabbed two spoons. "He's given her one of his new contracts in China, it's worth a mint apparently, and he's put her on a plane to Beijing so she can get up to speed with their operations," Grace said, handing Sydney a tub of Ben & Jerry's. "With the little internet they do have and limited cell phone coverage, it's pretty safe she won't know what's going on until the dust has settled."

It took a while for the words to sink in. "But Why? Why would he do that?" she asked eventually.

Grace stared at her blankly and then rolled her eyes before taking the lid off her tub. "I love you beyond belief," she began, "but sometimes, I swear those blond roots show through."

"I don't understand."

Grace let out an unladylike snort. "How can you be so blind?"

Before Sydney could reply, she heard a key in the door. Both Jackson and Stephen had arrived with coffees and a box of pastries and cupcakes. Between Grace and Stephen, her calorie intake for the day was about to hit an all-time record.

Grace and Stephen did their best to keep Sydney and Jackson's mind occupied and not dwelling on what they would need to do that afternoon. This, however, didn't stop Sydney from replaying the conversation with Grace. Why had Ethan gone to all that trouble to get rid of Janet? Was it guilt that motivated him to take such an extreme action?

By the time, she finally heard from their mother's attorney she was a lot calmer than she had been all day. When she ended the call, it was to realise three faces were intently staring at her, waiting for her to speak.

She let out a breath and cleared her throat. A hollow feeling had begun to build in her stomach throughout the phone conversation with her mother's attorney. "Frank was right, the FBI and the DA want to make sure they get prime time coverage. Mom and dad have their arraignment hearing set for just after four and the DA has scheduled a press conference for five."

"Well, at least, we'll be out of there before the circus begins," Jackson said quietly.

"We can only hope," remarked Sydney as she reached for her bag. They needed to head down to the bank. Sydney had been more than relieved when her mother's lawyer had advised they had reached an agreement with the DA on bail. This meant that she could have the cashier's check ready before hand.

***

Sydney glanced up and down the corridor. While no one appeared to take any notice of them, she was still terrified of someone paying too close attention.

"Are you sure you'll cope with mom on your own?" Sydney asked Jackson. They had finished with the bank earlier than expected and were now seated on the wooden bench outside Courtroom 130, where the majority of the arraignments were heard in Manhattan. The scurrying of people as they went in and out of the room was frightening and Sydney began to feel nervous as more and more people headed towards the pressroom adjunct to the courtroom. This was a clear sign word had gotten out about their parents arrest. Jackson pulled his baseball cap down and slumped further down into the chair to avoid detection.

She was thankful their father had been charged separately. There would be at least half an hour between her parents court appearance. This gave them a chance to get away before anyone noticed they were there.

"Look, sis, I keep telling you," answered Jackson, returning her to their conversation. "There's no point in you coming all the way out there at that time of night. Stephen will meet us there and if I get the urge to kill her, he'll stop me."

"And when she starts asking why he's there? What are you going to tell her? I don't want to put Stephen through just how callous she can be."

Jackson glanced around to make sure they couldn't be overheard. "Quite frankly, she can get over herself. I'm over mom and dad ruining my life. I finally have someone who makes me feel like I matter and I'm not giving that up or risking losing myself again. I've worked too hard to crawl out of that pit I put myself in."

Sydney hauled in a sharp breath and brought a hand up to cover her mouth.

"What?" Jackson asked noticing the sudden movement.

Sydney could feel the tell-tale prickles behind her eyes as her vision blurred. "I'm so proud of you. Did you know that?"

Jackson reached over and gave her a quick hug. "Well, you're a tough act to follow, but I am trying to live up to your standards," he said trying to make light of the situation.

Sydney jumped and let out a small whimper as a hand suddenly gripped her shoulder.

"Sorry to startle you."

Her head whipped around and she relaxed when she realised her mother's attorney had taken a seat beside her. She quickly introduced him to Jackson.

"Penelope will be next on the docket they're bringing her up from the tombs now. It's straightforward. We'll enter a plea of not guilty. The prosecutor will inform the judge that an agreement has been set regarding bail, and it will be up to the judge to confirm if he'll accept it or not." Frank said, giving her brother a quick rundown of proceedings. "Once bail has been set, go straight to the clerk's office, room 1000. They'll be expecting you."

Without another word, their mother's lawyer rose and entered the courtroom.

"Ready?" Sydney asked under her breath as they stood.

"As much as I'll ever be."

They both took a deep breath and headed towards the door. Once through, it took a moment for Sydney to adjust. It was standing room only. The courtroom was pure chaos and was full to the brim with attorneys, defendants and their families. She watched from her vantage point at the back as cases were called and bail set. Each time bail had been waived she could hear a small cheer go up from somewhere in the crowd. Parents cried as bails were set for their errant children at an amount that was clearly out of their reach. All the while the cogs of justice were quickly turning as charge after charge was brought in front of the very bored judge presiding on people's lives.

Sydney stiffened as her mother's name was called. From a door towards the back of the court, Penelope was brought out by a bailiff and deposited at the table next to her lawyer. As expected, Penelope looked resplendent in the Chanel outfit Sydney had retrieved from her mother's house the previous day. No one would suspect the woman had spent the night in jail.

Before she knew what had happened, the judge's gavel came down and the bail was set at the agreed amount. Sydney grabbed Jackson by the arm and pulled him out of the courtroom before the reporters in the pressroom could emerge, no doubt, some of them making a b-line to the exit to pounce on them as they left.

The process of posting her mother's bail was less strenuous than expected and before long they were waiting downstairs for Penelope's release. Sydney groaned inwardly as she heard rather than saw Penelope's approach.

"Mother," Sydney said once the bailiff had left. "I see prison hasn't changed you."

Sydney had caught Jackson's smirk before it was hidden just as fast as it appeared.

"It's a disgrace, I tell you. The way they treated your father and I, anyone would think we were criminals," Penelope said, her voice carrying over the din, making Sydney cringe with each word from her mother's mouth. "And can you believe they will not allow your father bail? They're treating him like a common criminal. And don't get me started on the condition of that jail."

"Mother!" Jackson said loudly. At his raised tone, a hush settled along the corridor as people glanced around to see where the noise was coming from. Seeing they were being stared at, he lowered his voice and spoke through gritted teeth. "That will be enough. You have already put us through hell and I will not tolerate you underplaying the seriousness of what you did."

Penelope opened her mouth to respond and Jackson held up his hand. "I said no. I don't want to hear a word. We are leaving. You will say nothing to the press as we go out. You will not even look at them. We are going to get into the cab that's waiting for us and I am going to take you home. Not once do I want to hear your voice. Just nod if you understand."

"Wow, way to grow a pair," Sydney murmured to her brother as they headed towards the main doors.

Jackson shrugged. "Better late than never."

They halted just before they reached the main doors that would take them to Center Street. The throng of press and angry protesters could be seen from their vantage point. When they had entered the building, the area had been clear. It now looked like a lynch mob ready to explode.

"Syd, wait a minute and then leave. They'll be too focused on me and mom to notice you."

Sydney faltered. "Are you sure?"

"You've done more than your fair share. It's my turn," Jackson said, giving her arm a squeeze. With that, he pushed Penelope through the doors and they were in full view of the hoarde of reporters who had erupted the moment they reached the stairs.

Deciding it was now or never, Sydney exited the building and stuck to the far left of the entrance that led directly to the street beyond. She managed to get a few feet beyond the doors when she heard a man's voice shout. "Hey! That's the one that posted bail. The daughter."

Like a swarm of locusts, a large contingent of the press that had been pressed around Jackson and her mother suddenly materialised in her path, blocking any ability to see, let alone reach the street. They were too quick even for the additional security that had been posted outside.

She was jostled from pillar to post as the reporters vied for the best shot or sound bite from her.

"Victoria, where have you been all these years?"

"How does it feel to be living on stolen money?"

"Victoria, where did you get the funds to post your mother's bail?

"Were you with your parents when they were arrested?"

She could hear the distinct sound of cameras clicking, as hundreds of photos were taken. Flashes hampered her eyesight as she struggled to push her way through the mob, which seemed to grow by the minute. Microphones were being pushed in her face as each reported vied for a better position. The press were in a feeding frenzy and it looked like she was the only food for miles.

After being pushed one too many times, Sydney lost her footing and was preparing for the fall that was inevitably about to happen, when she felt herself being pulled back into a hard chest. Strong arms came around her, pulling her in and cradling her from the onslaught of the reporters.

"Miss Hutton has no comment at this moment and I would ask that you respect her privacy."

In her dazed state, it took her mind a few more seconds than her body to realise whose arms were protecting her from the hoard. She allowed him to propel her forward as she pulled her face away from the safety of his tailored suit, and familiar masculine scent, to glance at her surroundings. To her right, three burly men were guiding Jackson and their mother towards a dark suburban. Separating her from the rabid reporters and protesters were another two.

"Mr MacMasters can you tell us why you're here today. You've been one of the most vocal dissenters on David Hutton's embezzlement."

"And I will continue to be. However, I would ask that you respect Miss Hutton's privacy. Neither she, nor her brother, has anything to do with the deplorable crime committed by her father and I can personally vouch for her. She is above reproach and you are to respect her privacy."

This only served to set the reporters off again.

"Victoria, surely you can't tell us you and your mother and brother knew nothing of what your father was up to?"

"Miss Hutton, where did you father put the billions he stole."

Ethan growled and stopped their progression towards a familiar car on the far side of the road. "That will be enough or you will be hearing from Miss Hutton's lawyers. You of all people," Ethan began, staring daggers at the reporter who asked the last question, "should understand that we can choose our friends but we can't choose our family. You don't see me accusing you of being a rapist like your brother, who, if memory serves me correctly only just got out of prison two months ago."

Ethan then scanned the reporters gathered around then until his eyes rested on one of her initial attackers. A very prominent senior news anchor. "I also don't see your colleagues taint you with the same brush as that uncle of yours that murdered his neighbour over lawn clippings."

He then turned back to the rest of the swarm, which had now died down to an uncomfortable murmur. "Don't you think enough people have been ruined over this. Why would you want to add two more to the list? The blame for all of this falls squarely on David Hutton's shoulders. Trying to lay blame on someone whose only misfortune was to be born into the wrong family is petty and repugnant, not to mention libellous."

Without saying anything further, Ethan pulled Sydney through the crowd and the remainder of the way to the car. Quickly opening the door, he bundled her in the vehicle.

"Get us the hell out of here," he demanded as he slid into the back seat beside her and slammed the door closed.

Mason threw Sydney an encouraging smile and turned to face the front. "You got it," Mason said as he pulled out into the traffic.

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

📎A/N ... so what did you think? Even with all he did to keep her out of the limelight, the simple act of paying her mother's bail gave her away :-( 

..... and did any of you expect Ethan to whisk in and pull her out like that?? 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Don't forget to vote if you did. ;-)

Take care. 

   ❤ ℳ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

624K 24.5K 40
When Ph.D. candidate Scarlett is forced to play loving wife to her mentor's playboy son, the last thing she expects is to fall for the fantasy hersel...
435K 20.7K 30
WATTPAD ORIGINAL EDITION When her initiation into her college's History Club goes awry, Sol has to come face to face with Ethan-the cute guy whose ho...
236 57 9
Gray and Matt, two surgeons vowed to save lives find themselves experiencing love for the first time in their lives but just like every story, love b...
3.8M 129K 52
"And where the hell is the supposed assistant?" He angrily asked. "I'm here." A soft voice answered shyly. There was something about the voice that...