Exes (An Aldub/MaiChard Fanfi...

By itsnotonpaper

Maine Faulkerson had just started to be finally happy again. She has a great kid, a caring suitor and a peace... More

The News
Tickets for Closure
Her Father's Great Idea
After Six Years
What She Came For
Stuck With You
Crossed Out
Touchdown Reality
Separate Ways, Separate Lives
All Because
Nothing He Could Do
No Choice
Only Exception
Breaking The News
Tables Turned
Another One
What Truly Matters
Throught The Little Boy's Eyes

Saving Him

8.9K 404 122
By itsnotonpaper

Last chapter before I dive headfirst into #AMACon! Yay! So happy to be part of it :)

Anyway, tweet me if you liked this @itsnotonpaper. Please watch out for the next chapter, because tbh, I've been waiting for it ever since I've written this. The next chapter was originally the main idea of this story, alongside Alden's disappearance and comeback.

=====================================

She was sitting just beside their kitchen counter, trying to comprehend what she was seeing. Maine stared at the screen of her phone, mouth hanging open.

Thirty thousand new followers in just three weeks.

I mean, sure, it was not as big as the pre-Tamang Panahon, when the number of followers she has was blowing up as much as Bieber, Swift and all the global superstars. But this, this is something. People were, once again, giving them the attention. It was the birth of AlDub all over again.

For her part, she was receiving positive remarks, mostly people supporting her and going against those who initially hated her. People, even famous personalities, were taking her side.

But then there was Alden.

He had long deactivated his account, but searching his name was enough to see how much people were hating him. Dean had tweeted about it, and soon enough, the Pambansang Gago had stuck with his name, eliminating the initial name Dean had thought for Alden. It was more appealing, Dean had said.

It did not feel good in any way, not just because she was humane enough to pity her ex-husband who was receiving extreme hate, but also, she was worried about Matthew-- Matthew who had changed a lot since she told him about the custody arrangements. Seeing people hate his father was not something really good for him.

What's worse, the school year had ended. Maine knew how much school helps Matthew whenever he was sad. He was one of those kids who always want to be preoccupied in order to take things off his mind. At a very young age, Matthew had learned to use work to avoid his own feelings. Maine wonders if it was something that needed change as soon as possible.

"Hi, Ma." Matthew's deadpan voice made Maine turn, watching her son emerge from the living room, opening the cupboard, looking for food. "Si Nanay po?" He said as he brought out a bag of banana chip, kissing his mother before he sat beside her. Although he had changed a lot, Matthew never really showed grudge against his mother.

"Hi anak. May pinabili lang ako sa grocery, pero babalik na rin yun." Maine said, smiling. "Bakit?"

"Ah.. Sinabi ko po kasi kay Nanay, tutulungan ko po siya magwalis, eh. Tsaka po tuturuan niya daw po akong  magluto ng bilo-bilo."

"That's.. good anak." Maine said. "Pero remember, I'm still not allowing you to use the stove all by yourself, okay? Always ask for assistance."

"Okay po."

The phone suddenly rang, and Maine rolled her eyes, sighing. Someone had called earlier about an interview, and she was not in the mood to answer a call and turn down another.

"Ako na po." Matthew said, jumping down from the stool and picking up the phone.

"Hello? Ay, hello po Ma'am Rosario. Kumusta po kayo?" Matthew's face temporarily brightened up, smiling at his mother to see if she was looking at him. He pointed at the phone, excitedly gesturing that it was his adviser. "Hahaha, opo. Masaya po, walang homework. Si Mama po? Teka, sandali lang po."

"Si Ma'am daw, Ma." Matthew grinned putting his hands on his face as Maine picked up the phone, also grinning.

"Alam ko na to." She mouthed at Matthew.

"Ay good morning po, Mrs. Faulkerson!" Mrs. Rosario greeted Maine, the joy and warmness of a teacher's voice felt even just through the lines of the telephone. "Syempre ho, alam niyo na kung bakit ako tumatawag."

"Good morning po, Ma'am." Maine greeted Matthew's adviser, winking at Matthew who was watching her. "Hindi po ako mahilig magbuhat ng sariling bangko, pero pagdating sa anak ko.. So ano po ang schedule?"

Mrs. Rosario laughed. "Hindi ko po kayo masisisi kung ang anak niyo naman ay katulad ni Matthew." She said, a sense of endearment obvious in her tone.

"Anyway, just to keep things formal, I would like to congratulate your son for making it to the honor roll. Top 1 po, to be exact." Maine looked at Matthew, grinning as she pointed at him and showing him the number one sign. Maine continued to gesture to her son as she said thanks to Mrs. Rosario, making Matthew giggle, and proceeding to listen to her instructions.

"The full schedule of the children's recognition day will be given tomorrow, along with their report cards. We are requiring you and your son to come tomorrow to get them personally, so if you have anything to raise, tomorrow will be a good time. Although looking at Matthew's card, I don't think you'll have the need to ask anything anymore."

"Pero Misis, gusto rin po sana kayo makausap ng aming guidance department. We have some.. concerns regarding your son."  She paused, but wise as she is, Maine immediately decided in that split second to keep her smile as Matthew was still watching her. She knew that when she reacts, Matthew will just get worried. 

"About saan po?" Maine, said, forcing goofy faces, and playing along with Matthew.

"Nothing between life and death Ma'am. But important." Mrs. Rosario said. At that point, Matthew motioned that he was going to his room, leaving Maine to sit on the sofa, rubbing her temples as she knew what Mrs. Rosario was going on with. "We want to talk about your separation."

===============================

"Mrs. Faulkerson, good morning po." Mrs. Rosario, Matthew's adviser, and Ms. Enrique, his guidance counselor, greeted Maine and Matthew upon their arrival in the faculty room, the day after their call. The two teachers immediately greeted Matthew with a hug, ruffling his hair, smiling at him. "Ito na pala ang 1st honor eh. Kamusta naman bakasyon?"

"Okay naman po."

"Matthew, sumama ka muna kay Ms. Enrique, ioorient ka lang niya sa mga gagawin mo for the  ceremony. I'll just speak with your mother." Matthew gave his mother a hesitant look, but he went with his guidance counselor as soon as his mother gave him a thumbs up.

Mrs. Rosario led Maine to her office as soon as the two left. Maine sat in front of the desk inside the room, waiting as Mrs. Rosario proceeded to look for Matthew's documents in the shelf just beside the desk. On the teacher's desk, Maine couldn't help noticing the family picture of Mrs. Rosario's family framed behind the desk, while a small rectangular picture frame on the desk itself was the class picture of Matthew's class.

"First of all, congratulations Ma'am. I know you've heard this many times already, but you have a very brilliant and kind boy." Mrs. Rosario said, sitting behind her desk, smiling. Her eyes were brimming with adoration for her, and although she has seen that look more than a few times already, it still gives her joy to see that she wasn't the only one seeing the talent and good heart that God has given to her boy. "Exceptional, Ma'am. I am honored to be his teacher."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Maine said proudly nodding at Matthew's teacher.

"Here is the schedule for the practice along with the tickets for the event, and here is the report card." Mrs. Rosario handed Maine a white envelope and Matthew's report card, in a small thin brown envelope. Maine opened it, scanning her son's grades and smiling. There were some subjects which got a lower grade than the last grading period, but Maine was too happy to notice that. She was never the parent to over analyze her child's academic performance. All she wanted was for him to have a good education and a good learning environment, but being the blessed mother she was, she was getting more than that. "Near perfect. But teachers have looked beyond that already. We are more eager to always hear him out, more than see his quiz scores. He is wise beyond his years. You have raised your child well."

"Thank you Ma'am. Matthew is my biggest blessing." Maine replied shortly, eager to change the subject as soon as possible. Later, there will be time for celebration with Matthew. Now was the time to know how her son has been doing in school.

"Uhm.. anyway Ma'am. I want to know.. kamusta po si Matthew sa school? Why does the guidance department want to talk to me?"

In a split second, Mr. Rosario's smile was wiped out, her lips forming a thin line as she shifted in her seat, clasping her hands on the desk. "Oh, about that. As you already know, Ms. Enrique, is Matthew's guidance counselor. She decided na ako na lang ang mag-explain sa inyo, since ako naman ang adviser ni Matthew. But you can still talk to her after this.  Our main concern lang naman po is how Matthew is taking everything in right now. You know. With the attention you are getting, with the return of his father." Mrs. Rosario smiled awkwardly, clearing her throat. "With your.. separation. We are just worried that the kid may not be able to handle to many environmental changes and may already be causing stress and other negative psychological effects."

"But our guidance department offers service for cases like this. Usually po, we counsel kids with separating parents. Alam naman po siguro natin na hindi talaga maganda ang epekto nito sa bata, most especially sa kanilang emotional development. And sometimes, character." 

Character?  Maine suddenly frowned. "Bakit ho Ma'am? Nasama ba siya sa gulo?" Hindi naman sumasama sa away si Matthew.

"Ay, hindi Ma'am. Don't get me wrong.. Matthew is a good kid." Mrs. Rosario immediately replied, laughing at the absurdity of Matthew being part of such acts. "He's not making trouble in school. It's just that, all of us teachers, and even his classmates are worried about him. Most especially the last days of classes po, pansin ng lahat kung gaano katahimik si Matthew."

"Bibo siyang bata, alam nang lahat yun, pero nung last days .. medyo namiss nang lahat yung saya nung bata. Sinusubukan niyang makilaro sa mga kaklase, pero wala talaga. Syempre Mrs. Faulkerson, hindi maiiwasang maging malungkot nang bata. Lalo na, syempre, maaring narinig na rin nang mga kaklase niya ang tungkol sa inyo.."

"So siya ang nabubully?"

"Ay, naku. Hindi rin po, Misis. Nakakatuwa, kasi minsan lang akong makakita nang batang sa ganyang edad, malaki na ang respetong binibigay sa kanya ng mga kaklase niya." She reassured Maine, smiling. Maine, in turn, breathed a sigh of relief.

She didn't know what she would do if ever she was informed Matthew was getting bullied. With everything Matthew is experiencing at the moment, bullies were the last thing he should deal with.

"Anyway, going back to the topic. The point of this short meeting Mrs. Faulkerson, is to inform you that we will be monitoring Matthew for now and give him several guidance counseling sessions. And along with that, we want you to also monitor him more closely at home. You know, bond with him, talk to him. We will also be getting updates from you every now and then about his behavior at home."

"That's all for now naman, Mrs. Faulkerson." Mrs. Rosario stood up, shaking the hand of Maine. "I will make sure that as soon as Ms. Enrique informs me about her observations about Matthew, I will immediately tell you. From everyone in our faculty, we congratulate your son once again. We really hope he is okay."

"Thank you so much Ma'am. I hope so too." Maine said, worried about her son. "Thank you for staying on top of this."

=============================

It had always been a tradition that they go out after receiving Matthew's grades, just Maine and Matthew. It is, after all, worth celebrating.

Matthew have always looked forward to this day. Maine knew how much Matthew loved seeing her look so proud as they both talked about his accomplishment. Maine would be contented listening to Matthew as he recounts all the activities he enjoyed the most and the lessons he found difficulty understanding, and Maine would tease him that his grades were saying the contrary. Then, Maine would recount her own stories about her life when she was studying, and tell him that her accomplishments were nowhere near his, but it had always been memorable and meaningful. Maine would usually end their day by ordering another round of desserts, and telling him once more that he was blessed and talented, and to continue studying well, but also reminding him to stay humble and never forget to enjoy school. 

But today was different.

Maine was watching Matthew as he nibbled on his chicken, sitting quietly, lost in his own thoughts.

"Matthew, anak." Maine said softly, trying to get his attention. "Excited ka? I mean, for the awarding ceremony."

"Ah, opo." Snapping out of his daze, he looked at his mother, smiling meekly as he continued to pick on his plate. " Ako po pipili ng song nakakantahin namin."

"Oh, may napili ka na?"

"Wala pa nga po eh.."

"Think of a happy song, about winning and triumph. Madaming ganun, I'll help you look for one." Maine eagerly suggested, excited to hear that Matthew was given the opportunity to pick the song for the year. A number of songs immediately popped in her head, ready for suggestion, when she suddenly realized how old they were.

Really Maine? Next In Line? Time of My Life? Yung totoo.

She was about to suggest another batch of songs to Matthew when she realized Matthew was back in his daze, sullen, his food unmoved.

"Matthew?"

"Ay, po?" 

"Sino gusto mo isama? Dali, 2 seats oh. May isa pa." Maine said, once again changing the topic. If she needed to find a topic where Matthew would regain his energy, she won't stop. 

"Si Lolo po." Matthew immediately replied. Maine frowned, confused at who he was referring to. "Richard po."

"You sure? I mean, baka busy siya that day, or-"

"Eh si Papa po?" Matthew immediately responded, to which he immediately gasped lightly, realizing what he had just suggested. Maine, on the other hand, had resisted to react, and was acting calm.

"Do you want your father to come?" Maine said casually, urging the conversation on, happy to finally capture his attention, even if it meant talking about her husband. "I mean, once a year lang 'to. I wouldn't stop you if you want him to come. Just this once."

"Hindi na po. Joke lang. Kayo na lang po at si Lolo."

"Sure kang ayaw mo Papa mo?"

"Opo." Matthew nodded, pausing for awhile as he looked down, poking the almost untouched chicken with his fork, murmuring. "Sana nga lang, hindi po siya magalit sa'kin na hindi ko siya inimbita.."

Maine sighed. She leaned on the table, lifting her son's head with his chin, making him look at her. She could see right through her little boy-- the confusion, the pain and all the fears and worries he was not easily letting out for all to see.

"Matthew, listen." She said softly, removing her hand from his chin and reaching out for his hand. "Alam kong mahirap yung pinagdadaanan mo ngayon. Alam ko. I just want you to know that everything I am doing right now is for you. And I hope you understand what your father and I are going through right now.."

Matthew only shook his head, giving his mother probably the biggest grin he could muster for the day. It was obvious it was taking too much of his energy for him to do it. "Naiintindihan ko, Ma. Wag niyo po ako alalahanin, okay naman po ako."

"Matthew.. "

"Okay lang po talaga ako."

Maine continued to look at Matthew, her gaze unwavering, studying him. She knew he wasn't Maine knew she couldn't just give up this conversation that had been long postponed. Maine knew Matthew should let his feelings out. Maine knew it was too wrong for an 8 year old child to hide feelings like that. Maine knew that if she just lets this pass, she might not have the chance to make Matthew release all his bottled feelings anymore.

And so she waited. Only a few seconds had passed, and Maine could already see Matthew shift in his seat, stubbornly frowning at his plate as if no one was staring at him. If this was not a serious situation, Maine could have laughed at the fake concentration Matthew was trying to pull over her. But it wasn't, so Maine continued to stare, knowing that any second now, he was going to burst and share something.

3, 2, 1.

"Sorry po, Ma." Matthew burst out, looking at his mother, the sides of his mouth already going down. Although there were no tears in his eyes, and he clearly was not about to cry, his sudden outburst clearly alarmed Maine. It was not what she was expecting him to say, because what the hell was he sorry for?

"Bakit?" Maine said, blinking still trying to comprehend why her son was apologizing.

"Naging madamot po kasi ako." Matthew said, leaning back, his head bowed down. "Makulit. Simula pa po nung Pasko, nahihirapan na po kayo.. Dahil sa'kin."

"Sorry po kung lagi kong pinipilit na magkasama tayong tatlo. Na hindi ko po naisip baka ayaw niyo po yun."

"Akala ko po kasi, kapag nakapagsama kayo ulit.. Tsaka po naawa ako kay Papa, mag-isa. Lahat galit sa kanya. Sigurado po ako, malungkot si Papa. Kaya.. akala ko.." Matthew was obviously at lost for words, rambling on everything he was feeling, not bothering to make himself coherent. After all, was there really order in what he was feeling and going through to begin with? Maine could only sigh as she saw her own son struggle to put all his troubled feelings in words, all the worries probably not letting him sleep peacefully at night. She knew it. Aside from the custody arrangements, Maine knew Matthew was hurt by the hate his father was receiving. "Tayo lang naman po kasi nakapagpapasaya sa kanya eh. Kaya gusto kong bumalik po sa dati, kahit hindi ko na po yun naabutan. Yun lang po talaga gusto ko. Hindi ko po gusto na hindi kayo sundin. Sorry Ma. Gusto ko lang po bumalik yung pamilya natin."

"Pero naiintindihan ko na, Ma." He immediately added, finally looking at her, as if reassuring her that he understands, that he understands even if it is too hard to accept. "Wala na."

Maine could almost hear her own heart break into a million pieces as Matthew tried to force a smile, trying to be the kid who understands why he was experiencing too much hurt, trying to be the kid who understands, that unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, some things just really do not end in happy endings. Maine wanted to cry. Matthew was too young to give up on happy endings.

"Anak, don't say sorry. You shouldn't be worrying about my feelings. I should be the one to say sorry." She wanted to explain everything to Matthew, but even she was too lost for words. "Bata ka pa, anak. Hindi mo dapat iniisip pa yung mga bagay na ganyan. Wag mo ako alalahanin."

"Kayo po mismo, hindi niyo inaalala sarili niyo. Inuuna niyo po ako. Kung hindi po ako ang mag-aalala para sa inyo, sino pa po?"

Once again lost for words by Matthew's maturity, Maine could only laugh, pinching Matthew's cheek. He laughed. There's my happy little boy. "May point." She agreed, nodding her head. For awhile, she only looked at Matthew, sighing. "I don't know how many times I will say this Matthew, but thank you. I love you. And for me, please stay happy okay? Kung may kailangan ka, sabihin mo lang, I'll try my best. I'll always try my best for you.

"Sige po. I love you too, Ma." Maine smiled, leaning on the table and kissing Matthew in the cheek. This is a start, Matthew opening up to her. For now, she is happy. She is contented. As long as he is.

But now, she knew he was not entirely happy. She knew she needed to act. Diminishing his pain and frustration was the only thing she could do right now. With Matthew busy with his food and was finally eating, Maine discreetly fished her phone out of her bag, typing in a few things before returning it inside. She didn't know how the people will take this. The heck with them. She thought. If they won't respect her statement, then the heck with them. After all, she had been hated too many times before. She would be pretty much immune to their painful comments already.

They continued to eat for a few minutes in contented silence, just enjoying each other's company, when Matthew once again called her.

"Ma.." Matthew said, out of nowhere, looking at her as if snapping out of one of his dazes once again.

"Yes, nak?"

"Naalala ko lang po." He said shyly, smiling as his own little hand reached out for Maine's. Maine smiled, urging him on. Matthew had always loved to say the most random yet sweetest things, but little did Maine know that this was the most heartfelt yet. "Gusto ko lang po.. gusto ko lang po.. pong malaman niyo na, wala po akong galit sa inyo. Gusto ko lang po malaman niyong wala akong sama ng loob. Ramdam ko po kasi yung guilt niyo eh." Matthew explained, trailing off as he slowly tried to choose the best words that will be able to say how he feels. "Gusto ko lang po.. malamn niyo na.. kahit ano pong mangyari, nandito po ako palagi para sa inyo."

 ================================

Hatred and death threats. These were what Richard Faulkerson Jr. had eaten for the past 3 weeks. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. 24/7 It was making him guilty more than fearful for his life. But still, fearful.

He pretty much hadn't left his home, and had updated himself with their annulment process at home. It was not much of a big deal, given that their annulment case was going nowhere at the moment. Aside from missing his son so much and resisting the urge to call him. He had heard from Maine that Matthew did not take the news of custody easily. Because of that, he initiated to step back. This time, he wanted it for good.

And with extreme effort, he had endured 3 weeks without him, and was only getting updates from Maine herself. He and Maine had greatly improved their relationship. They were keeping it civil and formal, with no hint of friendliness, and with this technique, they had kept themselves from bickering and fighting. Well, most of the time.

The unproductive feeling of just hiding and staying at home was eating him. He wanted something to do. He was never one to enjoy immobility. He wanted something to get him preoccupied, just to leave all the guilty feelings the hate tweets directed to him were making him feel. He was getting tired of drinking all day and all night. He groaned, looking at the bottles of beer on the table. He had invited his father to join him, and it wasn't really the best idea. Mr. Faulkerson was already drunk and was laughing to himself, scrolling through his phone and snorting once in awhile.

"Pa, ano ba yan?" He said, annoyed. The alcohol was just getting to him and instead of cooling him down or relaxing him, it was making him irritable. Mr. Faulkerson only looked at him, surprised at his son's snappy remark, laughing.

"Lapit ka dito, nak." He slurred, raising his phone, and pointing at it. Alden ignored him, opening another bottle, chugging half of its content entirely. Seeing that his son was ignoring him, Mr. Faulkerson began to read what was in his phone. "From at, Twitter handle, maine. D. M. F. I thank every-"

Alden stood up, scratching his head as he sat beside his drunk father, getting the phone from him. The screen was showing 3 consecutive tweets, each with a little over two thousand retweets. They were from Maine.

@mainedmf: I thank everyone for the concern you are all showing for me and my son.
|
@mainedmf: but Alden and I are in good terms. We want to under go the annulment process in peace.
|
@mainedmf: We are trying to solve our personal issues privately. No need to hate. It would mean a lot to me if you would leave him alone.

Maine's words were sharp and direct, unsurprising Alden. Whenever Maine gives statements regarding an issue, which she rarely does, she never backs down, and tries to deliver what she wants to say directly. This was not an exception. Alden stared at the screen, scrolling with one finger and seeing different responses to her tweets. Most were positive, but others were offended, saying that she was ungrateful and such.

"Anak ka ng-- lakas mo kay Meng ah!" Mr. Faulkerson hooted, shaking Alden by the shoulder.

"Pa, tara na. Lasing ka na masyado." Alden stood up, puling his father up. Hindi ako malakas kay Meng. Alden said to himself. Whatever she was doing, she was doing it for anything other than him. He just hopes it was for Matthew, for Alden knows that Matthew is being exposed to all these issues about his family, and the last thing Matthew needed was for people to pry on his private life nad give him judgmental looks. Oh god. Alden shook his head as he tried to shake off the images of Matthew on the hallways of his school, everyone giving him the looks and taunting him about his parents. He shivered. No. He reminded himself to call Maine later, and ask about Matthew, and also thank her for the tweets. He just hoped he wasn't going to say anything stupid, most especially when alcohol was pumping in his blood. "Para kay Matthew yan, sigurado ako." 

"Pansin ko lang ah." Mr. Faulkerson slurred, laughing, as his son dragged him upstairs towards his bedroom. "Para kayong aso't pusa minsan, tapos mamaya ang bait-bait niyo sa isa't isa. Away-bati. Away-bati. Para kayong bata, Or more accurately, mag-asawa."

Mr. Faulkerson chuckled as his son glared at him, clearly not appreciating the joke. His eyes suddenly widened, raising his hand, faking a look of realization. "Ay, oo nga pala. Mag-asawa pa rin nga pala kayo."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 4.6K 53
"Here, Under the Stars... What if our paths crossed again?" Four years after her heart got broken, successful music producer and CEO, Magui Feola, we...
42.9K 1.5K 100
Classmates turns to Lovers. "I will always love you, FOREVER"
111K 3.6K 57
There's one person who are meant for us ... One person that will let us feel how perfectly imperfect we are. When Mikha met Aiah's eyes she knew at t...
2.2K 66 24
One school. Two groups. Eight students. With different personalities. Attitudes. And hidden feelings. But got to live in ONE HOUSE. This is BINI fanf...