Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Forty-Three

38 7 3
By Ithildaeforever

"Was that so bad?" Nikandros asked Thea once she was gone.

Thea glared at her husband and frowned, "I will not dignify that with an answer."

Nikandros chuckled and let out a deep breath, "Does it feel better at least?"

She nodded slowly. Suddenly, an idea struck her, "Nikandros..." She spoke slowly, trying to think things through, "would it be possible to escape?"

Nikandros frowned, weighing the possibility, "Well," he said slowly, "probably not. There are too many guards. Unless," he paused thoughtfully, "if we could somehow get away from the guards, we could sneak out with a party as they leave. But we would have to escape together. We don't want the same thing happening again."

Thea considered his words thoughtfully, "That might perhaps work if-" she didn't finish as just then, the door was unlocked and opened.

Legolas walked in with several other elves and looked strangely at Thea, who was still on the ground, "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. It's none of your concern." Thea answered, not feeling in the mood to be social or kind.

Nikandros looked up and gave a quick smile, "She's alright. The healer was already here."

Legolas nodded slowly, "Alright then." The assassins noticed something in his eyes, apprehension. He seemed unsure of what to do and shuffled his feet. "Well...my fa-the King..." He cleared his throat and started again, "Tauriel, the captain of the guard, informed the King of what you tried to do," he looked at Thea when he said that, "and he was not pleased. Unfortunately he requests that she be bound till we leave. I'm sorry."

Thea's eyes widened. Nikandros stepped up quickly, "Is that necessary? She won't do anything like that again, I can promise you that." He shot a warning look at Thea, "I will make sure of it."

"I am sorry, but I cannot disobey an order..." Legolas looked like he honestly meant what he said.

Nikandros' eyebrows met, "We are already trapped in here. How is tying her up necessary?" He asked heatedly.

"She did attack my captain." Legolas pointed out.

"She asked for it." Thea muttered.

Legolas shot her a glare.

"Well, if your captain doesn't come in here any more, then Thea will be fine and not cause trouble." He carefully pronounced the last three words, telling Thea as much as he was telling Legolas.

"That doesn't matter. King Thranduil doesn't believe she can have enough...self control." Legolas cocked an eyebrow at Thea, almost in a challenge.

Thea's eyes narrowed, but she remained silent. Nikandros straightened, "Your captain," stressing the word, "and my wife don't get along very well. So," he continued, "If your captain doesn't come in here, it will be fine."

"As I have clearly stated, I can not bypass an order because you think she won't do it again." Legolas walked closer and took a length of elven rope from one of the guard's hands, "Are you going to cooperate?" He directed the question at both Nikandros and Thea.

"Alright." Nikandros said through clenched teeth, "Thea..." He left it hanging in a warning not to do anything stupid.

Thea looked at Nikandros in shock, not believing what she clearly heard. Finally, she snapped out of her stupor and begrudgingly stood up.

Legolas walked up to her and gestured for her to hold her hands out in front of her.

She sighed, but obeyed.

Quickly yet gently, Legolas wrapped the elven rope around her hands, tying them securely. He tugged on them once and lowered his hands, "Thank you."

He turned around and left the room along with the guards.

Nikandros sighed and turned around to look at Thea, "I'm sorry. I just didn't want you getting hurt again." He walked over to Thea and examined the ropes that bound her. She pulled her hands away and turned towards the opposite end of the room. Nikandros sighed, walked over to her, and wrapped his arms around her, "Are you angry at me?"

When she looked up at him, there were tears in her eyes, "No...I-I'm angry at myself..." She looked back down at the floor.

"Thea," Nikandros soothed, "It's okay." He smiled, "Now let me see those ropes."

"No! It's not. I am stupid...and foolish and an idiot and...and..." She said in between tears.

"Thea! None of that is true!" Nikandros exclaimed, "You are smart, wonderful, beautiful, and I love you." He wiped a tear away from her cheek, "It's okay. Everything will be fine."

She adamantly shook her head, "We wouldn't even be in this mess if it weren't for my big mouth."

Nikandros was already shaking his head before she finished, "It's not your fault. We were beginner assassins and the master sent us on a mission way harder than we should have been sent on. If it's anyone's fault it's his." He looked deeply into her eyes.

"But if I had just kept silent all those times and held my temper in check, then many things never would have happened! You know it's true!" She cried.

"Oh, Thea." Nikandros held Thea closer, "It's alright. What's done is done. Don't beat yourself up about what has happened."

She squirmed out of his grasp, refusing to meet his gaze, "Why do you even love me?" She asked quietly.

Nikandros hugged her tightly, "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me." He lifted her chin and gazed at her lovingly. Softly, he kissed her. She closed her eyes and relaxed in his arms, letting him envelope her in his warmth. Their kiss was sweet and lasted for what seemed like an eternity to the couple.

Eventually, Nikandros released her, and smiled, "Now let's see about your bonds."

She nodded and lifted her hands up to him. Nikandros began to pick at the knots that held the ropes in place. It was hard work, but slowly, he felt them loosen slightly.

He kept at it, and after several minutes got the knot undone. "There." Nikandros said, satisfied.

She looked down at her hands and then back up at him, "Won't we get in trouble?" She half whispered.

Nikandros shrugged, "Maybe. We can put them back on before anyone comes back in." He took the rope, looped it several times, and tied it in a knot. "Put your hands out." He smiled encouragingly. She raised an eyebrow, but didn't hesitate to do ask he asked. He slipped the rope back over her hands. It was loose, but was tight enough to stay on. Then he slipped it back off. "Take it, and when anyone comes in, put it back on. That is," Nikandros added, "If you want."

"Okay." Thea leaned up and gave him a quick peck on the lips, "Thank you."

"No problem." Nikandros smiled.

Just then, the door opened abruptly, and the captain of the guard, Tauriel, walked in. She walked over to a table and plopped down a tray displaying a few pieces of bread, some elvish vegetables, and two glasses of water.

Nikandros quickly stepped between Tauriel and Thea. Thea fumbled with the rope and quickly slipped it back on, even though she detested doing it.

Tauriel walked briskly over to Thea to check her ropes, "Hands out." She ordered.

"Why?" Thea tried to remain calm, even though a storm was raging inside her.

"Because I need to check your bindings." Tauriel said matter-of-factly. She tensed slightly in preparation for a certain, she thought, outburst from Thea.

"Fine." Thea grit out. She slowly lifted her hands, pleading silently for Tauriel not to notice the change in bindings.

Tauriel tugged experimentally at Thea's ropes. The ropes budged, and Tauriel frowned. Untying the knot, she rewrapped the ropes and knotted it tightly.

"If you take these off, I will tie them tighter." Tauriel said casually. 

Thea yanked her hands away begrudgingly, "It wasn't my fault they were loose. Your prince tied them." She lied.

"Or your husband loosened them." Tauriel smirked, "Don't think I'm stupid. Like you." She added a little quieter.

Thea was about to spit something back in anger, but instead took a deep breath and let it out between clenched teeth. She glared darkly at Tauriel, wishing she could wipe that smirk off her face.

Tauriel turned away from Thea and headed for the door, "And you," she added, addressing Nikandros, "you might not want to untie those ropes." She then left the room.

Thea closed her eyes and sank to the floor in a heap. Nikandros instantly went over there, "Are you okay?" He asked, concerned for her health.

She nodded tiredly, "I'm fine except for the feelings of rage and anger right now. I really wanted to punch her in her perfect teeth."

Nikandros smiled, "You did great." He said simply, feeling proud of his wife for her self control.

"I think I would like to rest a little before we...g-go." She stumbled on the last word as she imagined what horrors awaited them in Gondor.

With more effort then she thought it would take, Thea rose from her spot on the floor and curled up on a bed in the middle of the spacious room.

Nikandros smiled sadly, "Sleep well, sweetheart."

Here was a nice longer chapter for y'all filled with lots of character development! Yippee!!! I hope you enjoyed it!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris
(Evara's account->BananaBam03 )

Writers:
Nikandros-Evara
Thea-Ithildae
Thranduil-Aris
Legolas-Ithildae
Tauriel-Evara
Random elves-Evara and Ithildae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

536K 27.1K 106
Eda is a flight-risk mercenary with a bad track record. Living on half-payments from uncompleted jobs, she hopes that her luck will change. And it do...
64.8K 3.2K 53
Legolas/OC Romance/Adventure. Even after the Ring's destruction, evil still lurks in Middle Earth. Legolas uncovers an ancient threat, one that could...
365K 9.8K 60
Amariƫ has been traveling for a long time searching for the right place to settle down. During her journey she meets new friends and faces some dange...
180K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...