Something Worth Living For (W...

By nikkichicky

Allison Warner was head over heels in love with her ambitious sport journalist boyfriend, Eric Denton and cou... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
(CH 9)Something Worth Living for
Chapter 10 Something Worth Living for
Chapter 11 Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 12) Something Worth Living For
Chapter 13 Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 14) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 15) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 17) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 18) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 19) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 20) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 21)Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 22) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 23) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 24) Something Worth Living For

(chapter 16) Something Worth living For

72.1K 1.2K 371
By nikkichicky

Chapter 16

Last night had gone well, Eric thought as he sat watching the game on T.V. while Chloe sat by the coffee table with her colours and pages covered in her art. Everybody who had shown up had seemed to have a good time. He’d gotten a few calls this morning from his friends and colleagues, complimenting him on the great night, saying that they should do it again sometime, while many of them seemed to be dotting on Chloe.

He was showered with praise about his well-behaved, good mannered and adorable daughter. Eric knew he couldn’t be prouder of the daughter he had in Chloe, but also knew he couldn’t take all, or any of, the credit for that matter.

Allison had raised Chloe on her own. She had taught her the difference between wrong and right, the way to behave in the presence of adults. Eric knew many children who would have complained at the thought of spending an entire evening at a party where there would be mostly adults. But Chloe hadn’t complained. Not once.

The way she’d charmed the pants off of some the party goers really surprised Eric and as he adoringly watched her now being a child, he had a hard time believing she was that same girl from last night.

Yes, Allison had done a fine job of raising his child. But he knew he’d be there to help her from now on. Granted, half the time he didn’t know what he was doing, but he was getting there. At least he liked to think he was.

Just thinking about Allison had Eric’s mind wondering back to last night and their almost kiss on the balcony. He couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened if Heather hadn’t come out when she had.

Would he have kissed Ally? And if he had, what would that say about him?

He wasn’t in the habit of cheating. He detested the idea in fact. But he knew he couldn’t resist the magnetic pull that had him leaning ever closer to Ally.

He had a longing in him, one he knew shouldn’t exist. Maybe it’s just physical, he mused. After all never in his life had he wanted a woman as much as he’d wanted Ally when they’d been dating.

He’d always thought that once they finally were intimate, that his burning desire for her would pass, die out even. But being with Ally in that way had only made him want her more, made his feelings for her grow only stronger.

He could even now still remember the feel of her naked body pressed beneath his as he explored every inch of her sensuous body. Nobody had brought him to life or tipped him complete over the edge like Ally had.

He knew that if he’d kissed her last night it would have only been for the reason to awaken those parts that only she knew how. Being loved by Ally was more than just heated movements between the sheets. It was more than words could describe.

He’d missed her desperately during those first long nights in New York and had on more than one occasion considered coming back to her, but he’d been stubborn and determined to put his career first. Looking back now, he wondered if he had had the courage to come back to her, to fight for her love would they be in the life he’d imagined for her last night.

He raked a hand through his hair, trying to make sense of all the thoughts that plagued him.

Why was he thinking this much about Allison and their past? Was he living that deeply in regret?

He knew he should be focused on the future, on his future with heather. But how could he when Allison wouldn’t let him go, or maybe he should be saying, when he couldn’t let Allison go.

The cold drifted down his spine as Heather entered the room. She’d been in and out of the apartment all day. She’d barely spoken two words to him since last night when she’d blown up in his face about his moment with Ally on the balcony.

He knew she had every right to be angry, but he thought she’d been overacting a bit because technically nothing had happened with Ally.

That’s only because Heather walked in on you before something could.

He scowled at the voice knowing that it was true. This seemed to only make him feel guiltier and did nothing to solve the muddled thoughts in his head. Love was way too complicated, he concluded and it had him wishing that he could turn it off for just one day. But he knew even such an extreme measure wouldn’t stop his mind from worrying over everything.

He knew he should make things right with Heather, reassure her that he loved her and wanted to be with her only. But even as he’d stood there in front of her last night, while she accused him the lowest things, he couldn’t bring himself to say it. For the first time since being with Heather, Eric wasn’t so sure if he had made the right decision with her.

He knew he cared for her, but did he care enough to spend the rest of his life with her?

“Daddy? Hello daddy.” Eric focused on the voice that called him.

“Hmm… what?”

“I’ve been calling you, but you’re not listening.” Chloe complained.

Eric leaned forward in his seat to give his daughter his undivided attention. “I’m sorry, Chloe. Is there something you wanted?”

She nodded, “I’m thirsty.”

Getting up from the sofa, Eric headed with Chloe into the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and examined its content.

“We have some apple juice if you want?”

“Yes please.”

“Apple juice it is.”

He poured her a generous amount and handed the glass to her. “Be careful, okay.”

“Okay. Can I watch cartoons?” she asked it with such an adorable face there was no way Eric could say no. besides, he wasn’t really watching the game.

“Of course. Now run along.”

Chloe turned and headed back to the living area. Eric replaced the juice in the fridge and was about to head back too when Heather walked in.

“I’m headed in to the office.” She stated grumpily.

“On a Saturday.” Eric sounded surprised. “This late.”

“Yeah, I’ve got some work to do and figured I’d get more done there.” She replied not looking at him. “I’ll see you later.”

“Heather, wait please. We need to talk. We can’t keep-”

“We can’t keep what? Living like this, with you in denial that you’re still in love with your ex?” She accused,

Eric was bowled over with this accusation. Where had this come from?

He wasn’t in love with Ally, was he?

“Heather, I’m not-”

“Don’t try to deny it.” She interrupted. “I can see it every time you look at her. You know not once have I seem you look at me the way you looked at her last night.”

“Of course I’d look at her in a different way. What she and I shared is different from what we have.”

Heather shook her head. “You don’t get it. When you look at her-”

But Eric never got a chance to find out what she was going to say, because a gasp and the smashing of glass sounded from the living room had Heather stopping mid-sentence.

Eric raced to the front room, his heart thundered in his chest at the thought of seeing Chloe hurt in anyway, but what he saw instead was Chloe standing shocked as the glass that once held her juice lay broken in pieces at her feet, while its content lay all over the table, dripping down its sides.

Eric breathed a sigh of relief at seeing his daughter unharmed, but what happened next had him so shocked he was frozen in place before he could react.

“No, no,” Heather yelled as she raced to the table and picked up a bunch of papers that were now drenched in juice. “All my research, all my work gone.”

Chloe’s lower lip trembled as she apologised in a hushed tone. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. It slipped.”

“It slipped?” Heather exclaimed in exasperation. “You’re not a baby anymore. How could you be so clumsy?”

This seemed to have Eric snap out of his trans. “Hey!” he exclaimed, “She didn’t mean any harm. It was an accident.”

Eric picked Chloe up in his arms and placed her firmly on her feet, away from the shattered glass. He was about to head for the kitchen to retrieve a mop and broom when Heather added.

“Well, she should have been more careful.” She moaned as she looked at all the ruined pages. “It took me hours to get this all together. This is exactly why I hate having kids.” She stated.

Eric turned to look at Chloe and before he could go to comfort her, she dashed up the stairs and slammed her door behind her.

He stood there feeling all helpless, but it didn’t last long because then he turned his angry gaze on Heather. What was wrong with her? He knew she wasn’t happy with kids, but this was taking it quite far enough.

“What’s wrong with you? Can’t you see how much you’ve hurt her with what you’ve just said?”

Heather seemed unconcerned. “Oh sure you’re more worried about her then me.” She threw the ruined pages down on the table. “You know ever since you’ve moved to L.A. all it’s ever been is Chloe this, Chloe that. Have you forgotten that you’re engaged to me? We haven’t spoken once about the wedding or how Chloe living with us affects me.”

Eric couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Was he that desperate to make things work that he was blind to see the true feelings of a woman he was supposed to spend the rest of his life with? For the first time Eric could truly see that Heather was nothing but shellfish. She’d never been like this. Or had she?

Thinking back now, Eric finally came to the conclusion that she had. Back in New York, when it was just the two of them, all she’d ever been truly concerned about was her career. And clearly that hadn’t changed.

But he had, he’d changed. For Chloe, his daughter. He’d been just like Heather, always wanting to reach the top. He probably left the best thing in his life for New York, his career and for what, so that he could tie himself down to a woman who couldn’t even do him one small favour and try to get along with his daughter. He knew some people had problems with getting along with their partners children, but this, the way Heather was acting was ridiculous.

“You are right, we haven’t and now part of me is beginning to see why. I love you Heather, but the way you’re acting now… I’m not so sure if a do.” Eric said and turned to head up the stairs to his daughter’s room.

“Eric, if you walk out on me now, I’ll leave you.” She threatened.

Eric paused on the first step and turned to face her. “Are you really going to make me choose?”

Heather lifted her chin defiantly, “It’s either me or Chloe. Make your chose now, Eric.”

He stared at her for a long minute, unable to comprehend that she would slap him with such a question.

There was no need for him to consider the answer to the ridiculous question she’s just posed. Without so much as a backward glance at her, he turned his angered gaze from her and headed upstairs and it was as he stood just outside Chloe’s door that he heard the slamming of a door.

He knew she was gone and as he mused over how this made him feel, he realised, he didn’t really care if she ever came back.

***

Eric rapped lightly on Chloe’s bedroom door. Turning the handle he walked in only to see his little girl tremble with sobs, her face was buried in her soft feather pillows.

It tore at Eric’s heart to see her like this, but it tore even more at his heart that it had been Heather who caused her this pain, while he stood by and let it happen. He should have guessed that Heather wasn’t ready to be a step mom. She’d made it perfectly clear that she wasn’t interested in motherhood. He’d just thought… he don’t know he’d thought.

That she’d automatically want to step in as a step mom?

Eric shook his head; he was a fool to even consider the fact that Heather loved him enough to give Chloe a chance. Had she even loved him, he wondered in shock, or had she just been in love with the idea of him?

He’d changed, he’d become the father he’d never known in his life. Half the time, he had no clue what he was doing, but he did knew he loved his daughter and right now her aching heart was all that mattered to him.

Eric sat on the edge of the bed. He wasn’t sure how to handle a situation like this. Was he supposed to rub her on the back, take her into his arms? Was he supposed to say soothing words that would make her feel better?

Hearing Chloe hiccup helped him reach a decision. Switching off all thoughts, because he knew thinking only got him into a world of trouble, he let his instincts guide him. His hand patted Chloe on the back and before he realised what he was even doing, he had Chloe snuggled in his arms.

Her little hands wrapped around his neck and she buried her face against his chest as she sobbed silently.

“Shh…” he lulled, “come now, you know it hurts me to see my little princess crying.”

He kept whispering words of encouragement, trying his best to sooth her.

After a while he could feel her breathing even as she sighed against his chest. He thought maybe she was asleep, but when he glanced down at her angelic face, he saw that she was still wide awake.

Eric shifted her in his lap so that they could talk. He waited for her, wanting her to get off any feels she might have. It was only after a few minutes of silence that Chloe spoke up.

“Is Heather really mad at me? I didn’t mean to mess up her work.” Chloe said meekly.

Eric felt the tightness around his heart again as he smoothed Chloe’s dark locks. “She was mad, yes.” He thought honesty was better than a lie. “But she didn’t mean what she said. Besides, she should know not to let her things lay around.”

“But that doesn’t change that I did a bad thing.” Chloe countered.

“Look at me,” Eric placed a hand under her chin when she wouldn’t meet his gaze and brought her eyes to his. “You did absolutely nothing wrong and don’t let Heather tell you other wise.” He shook his head and let out a sigh. “She was never ready to be a step mom and I forced it on her and she ended up taking her anger out on you instead of me. I know you’re to young to understand, but trust me when I say, love and life get real complicated when you get older, so stay as young as you can, for as long as you can.”

“Like Peter Pan?”

Eric smiled, “Yes, like Peter Pan, or at least close enough like him.”

“Daddy,”

“Yes, my angel?”

“I really am sorry about ruining Heather’s work.”

Eric kissed the top of her head. “I know you are, honey. I know.”

Not as sorry as I am.

“Now, what do you say about going for some ice-cream?” Eric asked with a smile.

Chloe piped up then, but still wouldn’t smile. “Really?”

“Yes, really. Just give me a few minutes to clean downstairs.”

“Okay,”

“Oh,” Eric said before Chloe got off his lap, “I’m going to need a smile from you before we get ice-cream.”

Chloe looked so sad it hurt just looking at her. Eric knew there was no way he was about to go another minute without seeing a smile on her dial.

“I don’t really feel like smiling much now.” Chloe announced.

“Well that’s too bad; because rumour has it that ice-cream makes people laugh. And you want to know who else?” Eric asked, lowering his voice for effect.

Chloe seemed intrigued by this. “Who?”

“The tickle monster.”

Chloe gasped and was about to hop off of Eric’s lap, but he was too fast for her and started tinkling her. She roared with laughter as Eric tickled her under her arms, along her tummy and under her feet, making funny jokes as he went along.

The sound of her laughing was like music to his ears. Keeping her this happy carefree girl for as long as he could would be his mission in life. He would gladly lay down his life for hers, protecting her from any harm. He loved her and knew for as long as he lived – if he had no other children – he’d always be there for her, no matter what.

“I love you, my angel.” Eric said once he finally let her go.

“I love you too, daddy.” Chloe reached up and gave him a hug.

“Now come on, let’s clean up and then have that ice-cream.”

“Can I have double scoop?” she asked innocently.

Eric considered it for a second. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. You might not be able to eat your dinner then.”

“Momma let’s me have double scoop all the time.” She stated with pride.

He knew she was just trying to get her way now. Allison wouldn’t want her having double scoop, especially not with dinner on the way. True, she might now and then, but he doubted it happened often.

“Nice try, but your mom will kill me if you had a double this late. One or no deal.”

Chloe weighed her options and knew it was either this or nothing and having something was better than nothing. “Deal,”

***

As it turned out Eric and Chloe ended up having dinner out as well. Pizza always had a way cheering Chloe up, so Eric figured he’d take her to her the restaurant that served her favourite pizza and after they went for some ice-cream.

Eric was all about making Chloe happy right now and was glad for the chance to be away from home, case Heather came back. He couldn’t face her just yet; his anger towards the other woman in his life was at a point of boiling.

How could she be that callous? It had Eric wondering if she’d always been this way.

No, he concluded, she’d never really been fond of kids, that was something he already knew, but she’d never intentionally hurt anyone, least of all a kid like Chloe. So what was going with her? It was like he didn’t know her anymore. If he was honest with himself, it was like he didn’t know himself either.

He’d changed, he knew that much. He watched Chloe as she sat swinging her legs on the bench beside him, licking her ice-cream and couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face.

Four weeks ago, he’d never have guessed that he’d be a father, that he’d be this responsible for another life. He’d always only been focused on himself, on his career, on his life. Now, all of his time was spent worrying about what school Chloe would go to when she went to high school, would she go to college and would he need to provide for that future?

He’d become a dad in these last weeks, that much he knew, while Heather… she was nowhere near ready to be a step mom. Funny how he could see things from her point of view now, not that he believes her yelling at Chloe was called for, but he could now see that maybe he was wrong to thrust such responsibility on her and ultimately, that things between them would never work, not when she wasn’t ready for this life.

When they got home later that evening Heather still wasn’t back.

Maybe she had a lot more steam to blow off then he thought.

“You’ve brushed your teeth?” Eric asked as he tucked Chloe in for the night.

“Yup,”

“You know I love you right?” Eric smoothed at her dark curls.

Chloe nodded, “I know. I love you too, daddy.”

He smiled and then planted a kiss on her forehead. “Night, sweetheart.”

He turned out the lights and was about to walk out the door when Chloe called him back. “Daddy,”

“Yes?”

“Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?” Chloe asked quietly.

Eric left the door ajar so that the light from the hallway could float in. Chloe scooted over so that he could settle in next to her.

“Night, dad.”

With Chloe wrapped in his arms, within seconds Eric could feel the slow, even rise and fall of her chest as she drifted off to sleep. He waited a few minutes and was about to get up when he heard Heather coming in. He lay absolutely still and listened closely. He could hear her light footsteps on the stairs and then for them to turn in the opposite direction towards their bedroom, the door shutting closed behind her.

Eric lay there, unable to move. Did he go to her now and talk about what happened, about what was said, or did he wait until morning? For all he knew she could still be fuming over their heated conversation. He knew Heather wasn’t one to let go of things that easily. She would be angry with him for days before she’d finally give in and actually talk to him.

Eric shifted out from Chloe’s hold and then tucking her sleeping form in a much more comfortable position, he placed a kiss to her brow and exited her room.

He turned to his bedroom and thought about knocking and talking to Heather, but something in him said to wait. He headed downstairs and taking an extra pillow and blanket from the hall closet, Eric made himself comfortable on the sofa.

He was tired, the day had been long and filled with pent-up emotion. Tomorrow, once things have calmed a bit, he would talk to Heather and try and resolve the obvious mess he made with her.

***

Sleep had eluded him for most of the night and it was only in the early hours of the morning that Eric found his mind drifting off to sleep. It was only the sound of something being dragged along the floor and the smell of coffee that had him waking from his restless sleep.

Eric rubbed his stinging eyes and then glanced at his wrist watch to see it was a little after eight. Sagging back into the pillow, he wanted to groan. He’d gotten about five hours sleep and felt like he needed more.

As he opened his eyes, he noticed a hand over his head, holding a cup of what he assumed was fresh coffee.

Heather stood over him, her hand extended. She looked like a woman who’d gotten a good nights rest, but Eric knew beneath the layers of make up, the truth of her night would be evident.

He shifted into a sitting position and mumbled a thank you to her as he took the offered coffee. Closing his eyes, he took a sip of the coffee and couldn’t be more grateful for the caffeinated drink. He knew he would need it. If Heather was offering him coffee, it meant she was talking to him and that she wanted to talk about yesterday.

Rubbing his eyes again, Eric looked over at her, where she sat patiently. He frowned when he noticed she was neatly dressed in light grey slacks and a blue silk top. Was she planning on going somewhere, he wondered, taking another drink of his morning coffee?

“So,” Eric started breaking the awkward silence.

“So,” she repeated and looking him squarely in the eye, she continued, “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, yesterday and last night and I’ve-”

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking too.”

Heather held up her hand for him to stop. “Eric, I’ve got a lot to say and I need you to listen to me before you say or do anything. I need you to know that this is hard for me to say, but I think it’s for the best.” She paused for an instant before she continued. “For the both of us.”

Eric could see she was serious with every word she spoke. She had her businesslike face on and he knew that she only wore this face with him when she had something really important that she wanted to talk about, something that would affect them both.

Eric nodded, giving her the go ahead to continue.

She shifted a bit uncomfortably in her seat and for the first time since coming to L.A. Eric could see Heather was letting every guard she’d placed around herself down. He could see the woman he’d fallen for, the one he missed and could help but feel a bit guilty, because he knew he was partially the reason for her disappearance for the past few weeks.

She opened her mouth to say the words, but it seemed so hard for her to say. Eric was patient, giving her the time she needed to get it all out. Whatever it was, it was weighing down heavily on her shoulders.

“I – I…” she paused again, but then took a breath and it all rushed out at once. “I’m leaving, Eric. I’m going back to New York.”

Eric froze. He expected her to say… well there were many things he’d expected her to say, but not this. Her statement had completely thrown him off. He wanted to ask her why, but she held her hand up to stop him.

“You promised you’d listen first.”

“I never promised,” he retorted, “I only said I would listen.”

“Please, Eric.” she begged.

Sighing he held off all question for later.

“I’m leaving and heading back to New York because I’m not happy here.” Watching the tears fill her eyes, Eric could see this was true and once again felt guilty for not seeing this sooner. “I’m not happy. I never really wanted to come here. But I figured if I was with you it wouldn’t matter. It turns out it does.”

“Heather, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.” He hurriedly apologised.

“And how could you when you were too wrapped up in your daughter and flirting with your ex, who by the way, you’re clearly still in love with.” She said a bit angrily.

The statement threw Eric off once again. He wasn’t in love with Ally, was he?

“And don’t try to deny it. I saw the way you looked at her, Eric. I see the way you are with her.” a tear slide down her cheek and she swiped it away. “You’ve never looked at me the way you did her the other night. If I could ever find a guy that loved me, who cherished me the way you clearly do her, I wouldn’t let him go.”

“Heather, I know things aren’t great between us right now, but don’t you think you’re being a bit hasty with this decision?” He argued. “True, Ally and I have been getting closer, but that’s only because of Chloe and yes the other night I wanted to kiss her, but nothing would have happened. I wouldn’t have done that to you, Heather.”

Eric took her hands in his, desperate to making things right. “Heather, please listen to me.”

She shook her head, “No, there’s nothing you can say that’ll make me change my mind.” She placed a hand over his cheek, “It shouldn’t have to be this hard.”

“What shouldn’t?”

“To keep you. I shouldn’t have to fight for us, Eric. If you loved me enough, loved me the way I thought you did, I shouldn’t have to be jealous of a woman you’re supposedly over. I shouldn’t have to compete for your time with your daughter.”

“Chloe is-”

“A sweet girl. I’m not Allison’s biggest fan, but she really did a great job with her. And I’ve been so… horrible these past weeks that I couldn’t see that because I’m not ready to be a mom, or a step mom for that matter.” Heather stood then and faced him. “You finding out that you have a kid changed you, Eric. You are more of a man than I ever thought you’d be. I would have given you kids, just because you wanted them and there, that is the problem. I don’t think I’m ready for marriage and everything that comes with it. Not yet anyway.”

Eric felt like he should say something, anything to get her to stay. But even as her words sank in, a part of him knew she was right. Heather was a great woman and she had changed, into someone he didn’t know.

“So, it’s over then, just like that?”

“Just like that.”

“I really did love you, Heather. I don’t know when, but somewhere along the way we just drifted apart.” Eric admitted.

Heather shook her head. “You never loved me, Eric. You were in love with the idea of me and I think I was in love with the idea of us. I guess I saw my sister and how happy she was with her family, I figured maybe that’s what I’m missing. And maybe it is, it’s just not meant to happen with you.” she slide the engagement ring off her finger and with a wistful sigh, she handed it over to me.

It was weird, but somehow that tiny ring felt like it weighed a ton at that moment.

“When’s you’re flight then?” Eric asked, only now noticing the suitcases that stood by the door.

“At one. The taxi will be here soon, but there’s something I need to do first.” She said and headed in the direction of the stairs.

“What’s that?”

“Apology to a certain little girl.”

They found Chloe sitting on her bed, watching cartoons. Eric couldn’t help but smile through the gloom as he heard her giggle at something Spongebob did.

“Chloe,” she turned to look at Eric, but the smile that occupied her face minutes ago disappeared when she saw Heather.

“Hey, Chloe.”

“Hi, Heather.” she greeted meekly.

Heather took a seat on her bed. “I just wanted to say how sorry I am about yelling at you like that yesterday. I was angry with myself and your dad and I took it out on you. Can you forgive me for what I said?”

Chloe shrugged, “I guess so. I should have been more careful, like daddy said.”

“No, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have left my things lying around.”

Chloe seemed satisfied with this and smiled slightly. “Want to watch cartoons with me?”

Heather smiled. “I can’t. I’ve got to be going soon.”

“Where are you going?”

Heather looked to Eric for help and he stepped forward. “Sweetheart, Heather’s going back to New York.”

Chloe looked worried for a moment. “Does that mean you’re going back too?”

The little girl looked on the verge of tears and Eric hastily replied. “No, I’m not going with her. Remember, I said I won’t leave you. I’m staying right here with you.”

Relief washed over Chloe’s face. She looked confused then, though. “So if Heather’s going back to New York, how will you get married?”

“We won’t be getting married.” Eric replied.

“Is it because of me, because I messed up yesterday? Please don’t be mad at daddy, Heather.” Chloe begged.

Heather smiled slightly at the girl’s attempts to keep her father happy. “I’m not mad at your dad because of that. Your dad and I just feel that we’re not right for each other. Besides, I wouldn’t make a good step mom for you.”

Chloe smiled sheepishly. “You kind of suck at it.”

“Chloe!”

Heather laughed, “No, she’s right. I was really bad. You know if I ever have a daughter someday I hope she’d be like you.”

“Will I see you again?” Chloe asked.

“We’ll see. Bye, Chloe. Take care of you dad for me.”

“I will.”

With fences mended and goodbyes said, Heather headed downstairs with Eric close behind. The sound of a hooker came from outside and, with Eric’s help; Heather got all her luggage to the car.

“I’m sorry about everything.” Eric said remorsefully.

Heather kissed him on the cheek. “I’m not.” she was about to get into the cab when she turned to face him. “Oh, and fight for her.”

Eric looked at her confused, “What?”

She smiled. “Fight for Allison. Jared’s a great guy, so you’ll need to bring your ‘A’ game. You love her, Eric. You just don’t realise it yet.”

With one last look in his direction she got into the cab and never looked back.

He stood there for a long moment, pondering her words.

You love her, Eric. You just don’t realise it yet.

Did he love Ally, even after all these years?

***

Well there you have it. Heather has slipped up… big time. I tried to give her a bit of a heart. I mean, even the Grinch had a heart lol

Hope you enjoyed it. You’re comments really helped me write this chapter. I’ll try and have chapter 17 up soon, but probably not this weekend, because we’ve got family fun going on this weekend lol.

Thanks guys for reading :) you make me so happy when I see that people are enjoying this story.

Oh, I've got a new cover, hope you like it :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 111 40
"What?" He asked, pulling me from my daydream again. I chuckled, biting my lip again. "Are you thinking about me naked?" He asked jokingly. I blushed...
327K 18K 67
Be careful what you wish for you just might get it! Don't be alarmed. Don't be afraid. It doesn't have to go the wrong way. In April's case God gave...
709K 24.8K 65
"You found me as a kid. Now let my adult self grow old with you..." --------------------------------------------- "We'll marry as soon as we meet aga...
2.5M 24.7K 39
Michelle doesn't want to think about her parents divorce. No more, then she already has. Michelle swears she will never let herself forget what her...