Glee: Race to the Finish (the...

By arias3

Part 5 of the A Brand New Direction series/// The gang is all grown up and facing some hard decisions as they... More

Chapter 1: Damaged
Chapter 2: The Teen Choice Awards
Chapter 3: Plan B
Chapter 4: Rush
Chapter 5: Accomplishment
Chapter 6: Small Bump
Chapter 7: Phone Hacks and Skype
Chapter 8: 1, 2 Step
Chapter 9: Daddy Issues
Chapter 10: I Am. I Said.
Chapter 11: Sam Speaks
Chapter 12: Black Roses
Chapter 13: The Fourth Wall Falls
Chapter 14: Baby Shower
Chapter 15: The B-Word
Chapter 16: Jake's Stake
Chapter 17: Lying Low
Chapter 18: Paintball Apocalypse
Chapter 19: Guns No Roses
Chapter 20: Bring It On
Chapter 21: Newton's Third Law
Chapter 22: Love Me or Leave Me
Chapter 23: Before
FAN FICTION--POP FICTION--ADULT FICTION///FICTION
Chapter 24: Portland
Chapter 25: She'll Be The Death Of Me
Chapter 26: At Least We'll Both Be Numb
Guess what?
Chapter 27: A House is a Home
Chapter 28: We Are Family
Chapter 29: Panic Cord
Chapter 30: A Little Bit Longer
Chapter 31: Blessed
Chapter 32: Baby Mine
Chapter 33: Secret Santa
Chapter 34: Seventeen
Chapter 35: Hiding Away
Chapter 36: Truth or Drink
Chapter 37: California Gurls
Chapter 38: Unhinged
Chapter 39: The Beat Goes On
Chapter 40: Swan Song
Chapter 41: The Day We Fell Apart
Chapter 42: Facebook 3.0
Chapter 43: Bad Blood
Chapter 44: We Wanna Be Whole
Chapter 45: The Grammy's
Chapter 46: V-Day
Chapter 47: I'm Lost Without You
Chapter 49: I Do Care If You Love Me
Chapter 50: Just Breathe
Chapter 51: Freaky Friday
Chapter 52: Pool Debacle
Chapter 53: The First Night
Chapter 54: Forget That Boy
Chapter 55: The Second Night
Chapter 56: A Decent Proposal
Chapter 57: The Third Night
Chapter 58: Milestones
Chapter 59: The Fourth Night
Chapter 60: Back to Lima
Chapter 61: Lunch
Chapter 62: Song Constipation
Chapter 63: On the Outside
Chapter 64: Ruby
Chapter 65: Overdue Lessons
Chapter 66: A Special Evening
Chapter 67: The Question
Chapter 68: Something Old
Chapter 69: Partners
Chapter 70: Jolex
Chapter 71: It Happened in April, Part 1
Chapter 72: It Happened in April, Part 2
Chapter 73: Crystalgate
Chapter 74: Back at it Again
Chapter 75: Own Worst Enemy
Chapter 76: The City (and Babies) That Never Sleeps
Chapter 77: You're the One I Want
Chapter 78: Piece by Piece
Chapter 79: Rise Up
Chapter 80: My Broken Heart
Chapter 81: Want You Close
Chapter 82: The Longest Time
Chapter 83: Let's Get Weird
Character Contest for 6th Book
Coming Soon | Push to the Limit
"Push to the Limit" is Here!!!

Chapter 48: I Don't Care If You Love Me Anymore

564 27 12
By arias3

"You ready to go?" asked Kitty as she and Riley finished having breakfast.

"You mean to be at school for like two hours and then come back?" Riley responded. "I may as well skip the rest of the day."

"You have glee today," Kitty sighed. "Besides, it was selfish of me to let you skip the first half of your day anyway. I just... I didn't want to be alone."

"I heard you, you know," Riley responded softly. "Crying... That's why I went over there... Jake's not coming back, is he?"

"No," Kitty answered, her eyes stinging as she said the honest word. "I don't think he is. But you know what I do know? I know that you and I are going to be fine."

"So you're not sending me off with him?" Riley asked, trying to act like she wasn't frightened. "Kitty, I know that one day you're going to find a guy but Jake was the only one who... He knew."

"If I ever do settle down with someone new," Kitty told her, "it'll be someone who understands that I have you and that I'm crazy and you're a mess. But he'll love us anyway, ok? And Jake still loves you. I don't want this to mean that... You're my daughter now, Riley. But he's still your friend. Don't hold all this against him." Riley nodded, though she still felt uneasy about her involvement in all of this. "Come on," Kitty told her. "Let's get you to school."

***

"So this wasn't how you pictured our little trip going, is it?" Sam asked Julie as the two stepped out by the lake after having breakfast. They had finally gotten away from their friends, who were nice to have around but had hardly given them any time to talk alone.

"It's not," Julie sighed. "But..."

"But?" Sam responded when she didn't.

She looked back at the cabin for any sign of another person and then back up at him to say, "Last night before they got here, we fell asleep talking and it was so nice but... I can't help but feel like something's holding you back."

Sam looked away, his hands in his pockets as he looked out at the water. "I don't know what to tell you, Julie. I guess every time I think about it, I—"

"Hey, love birds!" Amity called out from the cabin. "We're going to go down to a western club in an hour or so! You in?"

Julie and Sam exchanged glances. The last thing she wanted was another distraction to keep them from talking but Sam looked hellbent on avoiding the topic, so he called out, "Sure thing!" To Julie he said, "Come on, let's go get ready to get our country on."

He led the way back to the cabin and Julie had no choice but to follow, though all she wanted was to stop him and get him to tell her what was really going on.

***

When the group arrived at the western club in their best cowboy and cowgirl getup, they were surprised to find John and Alex there, carrying two infants wearing checkered dresses.

"Oh my god!" Julie exclaimed, opening her arms out as she approached Alex.

"You are not taking her from me," Alex said, moving Gaby away so that Julie couldn't get her. "I showered her, fed her, and changed her diaper several times today so I think I've earned the right to have her all night."

Julie smiled as Sam asked John, "What are you guys doing here?"

"Well, Alex was drunk so he stayed with me last night at you guys' place and..." John began. "Then Amity called and told me you were coming here so we thought we'd meet up."

"What's the deal with Jake and Kitty?" asked Alex curiously, watching as Jake showed his dance moves to Bree and Leila. "We invited her to come with us but she said she had too much work, a teenager to look after, and a Jake to be nowhere near."

Julie looked over at Jake and said, "He hasn't said anything. I know they were having troubles but... I have no idea."

"Well," Sam said, making faces at Izzy, "I'm glad you brought the girls. We were missing them."

Julie nodded in agreement but as Sam took her from John, she felt a bit of resentment towards their presence. With the girls around, there was no way Sam was going to talk to her about them now. 

As they all went down to get a table, the song that was playing ended and a waitress walked over to ask for their drinks. Before they could even tell her what they wanted, the host up on the stage began talking and noticed them.

"And before we get to the—" he was saying. "Well, well, well. It looks like we have a star among us tonight. Several stars. Ladies and gentlemen, Crystal Army is in the building!"

Sam looked around and waved as the crowd cheered, surprised that an audience at a western saloon knew his pop punk band. 

"Why don't y'all come on up here and sing us a song?" asked the host.

"I hardly think we play your kind of music!" Sam called out, bouncing Izzy in his lap and thankful that this was the type of place where the people around wouldn't be snapping photos of them, respecting their privacy instead. 

"Oh you must know something," said the host in response. "What do ya say?"

Sam turned to Alex and John. "You guys up for a bit of country?"

"I don't know any country," John said, shaking his head.

"I know plenty but I'm a little busy here," Alex said, signaling to the baby on his lap. 

"Well, I guess it'll be just me then," Sam said, standing up and getting a cheer from the people dining and waiting to dance. He gave Izzy over to Julie and took the hat a waiter handed him, lending him the western look just fine. 

"I feel like dancing," said Jake, standing up. "So make it a good one."

"Why don't you come on up and sing with me?" Sam asked him. To the others he said, "Anybody else?"

Jake looked at Ryder and said, "You feel like it?"

Ryder took a deep breath. He'd done enough of singing and embarrassing himself already but if he said no to this one, he knew it would look petty. "Sure," he mumbled as he rose from his seat. Their friends and everyone else there cheered them on as they went up to the stage.

As Ryder gave the only song he could think of to the band, Sam took one of the microphones and said, "Hey everybody. Country's not for everybody so I'm so sorry if we mess this up but... Joining me tonight are my good friends Jake Puckerman and Ryder Lynn. Jake's a fellow musician so if you're into pop r&b, go ahead and check him out on iTunes. He's got a pretty nice song with the talented Juliet Vasquez on there and an album coming up soon. Thank you!"

Sam turned to Jake, who nodded gratefully for that plug, and then the music began. Though at first Sam wasn't sure what song that was, it hit him several seconds later and he was ready just in time to take the lead. But Jake beat him to it by a split second.

["I Don't Care If You Love Me Anymore" by The Mavericks.]

Jake: Well, I work all night and day to try and please you. To buy the things I never could afford. And now the wells run dry for me so I must leave you. But I don't care if you love me anymore.

Feeling the beat, Leila turned to the others and said, "How about we go up and dance?" 

"We've got babies to watch but you all go ahead," Julie told them as she and Alex remained seated. 

"Order us some drinks," Bree said, standing up and prompting Amity, John, Leila and Stefan to do the same.

Ryder: Well, you go out on the town with eyes of cheating. To see a world you've never see before. But my heart was always there to take a beating. I don't care if you love me anymore.

As they danced, Alex looked down at Gaby and said, "Look, sweetie, all of those three guys up there could've been your daddies."

"Alex!" Julie exclaimed. He laughed in spite of her disapproval so she said, "God, just imagine them finding out what a mess I was growing up."

"Maybe they'll be the same," Alex shrugged. "With little Ben or Nathaniel."

"Nate is their cousin," Julie pointed out.

"They're third cousins," Alex said.

"It's still wrong," she laughed. "Or at the very least weird. My little girls will not be having any romantic relationships with Jesse and Quinn's kids."

Sam: And you never show the slightest bit of heartache. When I told you I was leaving you for good. Well, you tried to justify what you did always. Somethings are better left than understood.

As they argued about family trees, John and Stefan danced with the other women and they seemed to be having a good time. That is until, Stefan gave Leila a spin and she ended up facing John. That moment killing her vibe, she said, "Excuse me," and walked off the dance floor.

The others didn't notice, with Bree too busy looking at Stefan and asking, "Hey, so are you ok?"

All: Now the world keeps turning when we're not together. My troubles have all been washed ashore. But I'll sail the seven seas and then I'll end up knowing. I don't care if you love me anymore.

As John and Amity continued dancing, Stefan turned his attention to Bree and said, "I think I am now. But just for the record, I wasn't trying to be a dick about your relationship last night for the sake of annoying you. I really think you deserve better. Someone who knows your past and understands it."

"Andy knows," Bree assured him.

"Ok," Stefan shrugged aimlessly. "If you really think so, then I'll drop it... But that won't make me like him for you any more."

Jake (and Sam): And you never show the slightest bit of heartache. Oh, when I told you, I told you, I told you I was leaving you. (You tried to justify what you did always. Somethings are better left than understood.)

Leila stood by the bar, not sure whether she should just go hide out in the bathroom or leave until John went back to Lima, but she eventually got tired of letting him spoil her fun. Ohio had become her home with or without him and she didn't want him ruining any more of her chances at happiness.

She looked up at the stage and saw how Jake was having so much fun in spite of his recent breakup. And Ryder seemed to be enjoying himself, too, even if his singing partner was Sam and Julie was right across that dance floor. Surely, she could have fun, too. 

Instead of returning to the dance floor, however, she pulled out her cell phone and started by doing what she should've done from the start: deleting all her photos with John.

All: Now the world keeps turning when we're not together. My troubles have all been washed ashore. But I'll sail the seven seas and then I'll end up knowing. 

On the stage, Jake danced from side to side, showing off his amazing rhythm, while Ryder struggled to do the same. 

Jake: I don't care if you love me anymore.

Sam had far more luck with the country style, showing off his knowledge of the genre with both his feet and his voice.

Sam: I don't care if you love me anymore.

And as they ended the song, Julie watched silently, focusing on bouncing Izzy and ensuring that she didn't burst into her sudden fits of crying.

All: I don't care if you love me anymore.

When the song ended, Alex grabbed Gaby's little hands and made her clap, saying, "Yay! Clap for your daddies, Gaby!"

"Alex!" Julie exclaimed again, though this time she couldn't help but laugh. She figured the others would be returning soon, but they all stayed on the dance floor and even Leila returned to dance with them once she was done deleting John's photos. And there seemed to be very little chance left of time alone to get Sam to tell her what was on his mind.

***

Back at the cabin, everybody took their rooms for the night and then went back to the living room to hang out for the night. Alex and John had brought with them a pair of portable baby beds, which weren't ideal but were necessary.

After setting the girls up in one of the rooms for the night, Julie walked back down to the group and said, "Ok, they're asleep."

"Oh, so we better be quiet then," said John with a sigh.

"Why don't we go outside?" asked Bree, standing up. "Have a little bonfire, a few drinks. Enjoy ourselves before we head back down to our jobs and our regular lives."

"I'm in," Ryder agreed, standing with her.

"But maybe drink something non alcoholic," Alex told him as he also stood up. 

"I think I'll stay back guys," Julie said. "I'm tired and I just want to go to sleep and stay with the girls."

"Ok," Bree nodded. "But we'll all be outside if you get bored."

Julie nodded and watched as everyone, including Sam, went outside. She was upstairs in her room with the girls for a while when she heard someone enter downstairs. And after a bit of listening, she heard the faint sound of a piano. "Is someone playing downstairs?" she mumbled to herself.

She stayed in bed, listening to a nice melody for a while until finally she heard a voice singing along with it.

["Inventing Shadows" by Dia Frampton. One of my all time favorites! She should've won the first season of the voice with this but she got second place. Still awesome!]

Sam: It's not surprising it could end like this. Your eyes are open even when you kiss. You're so distant. So cold, so resistant...

"Sam..." she mumbled, frowning as she listened to the song. So he had the time to go play music but not to tell her what was going on with him?

Sam: You see the world in only grey and black. Now how could anybody live like that without screaming? Without dying for dreaming?

She looked at the girls and, after making sure they were fine and still sleeping, grabbed her robe, placed it around herself, and headed down the stairs. 

Sam: And you stare out the window at the passing cars. And you look at the sky, thank your unlucky stars. No you're never quite happy right where you are...

***

Downstairs, Sam was in one of the rooms playing the grand piano that had been calling to him since they'd arrived. He'd been working on these lyrics for a while but he wasn't sure where they were coming from and now that he could finally play them, he began to understand.

Sam: So you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. No, there are none... Yeah, you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. You don't even see the sun. Can't you see the sun?

Julie approached down the stairs but now that she had started paying attention to the song, she didn't want him to stop. This was the most she'd gotten out of him in the last week and she didn't want to put an end to his honesty, so she took a seat at the bottom of the staircase and listened.

Sam: You can't be shocked that I might want to leave. The way you're living's like you're half asleep. You just drain me. If I go who could blame me?

***

Outside, Bree, John and Amity were laughing and having a blast talking over the fire they'd started, but the others could do nothing more than fake their content. They were having a good time, sure, but as soon as they returned to Lima that would all end. 

Sam: And you stare out the window at the passing cars. And you look at the sky, thank your unlucky stars. No you're never quite happy right where you are. Right where you are, with all that you are.

As his friends all talked and poked fun at each other, Alex remained quiet, thinking about how much life had changed since he'd last been in these woods. He was still close to Peyton, Julie was with Jake, he was with Amity, John was with Marley... Stefan wasn't even really his friend and now he was the one in the group who was bringing him the most comfort, along with Bree. How did it become like this?

Sam: So you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. No, there are none. Yeah, you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. You don't even see the sun. Can't you see the sun?

***

Julie listened with uneasiness as Sam reached the peak of his song. Now it was she who was dreading having an honest conversation with him. If this was what his candor would be like, she wasn't sure she wanted to hear it anymore.

Sam: You're so young, so beautiful. So flawless in my eyes. Don't you know the world shines every time you smile? Why can't you just smile?

She stood up, nevertheless, and made her way towards him. It was time to be sincere.

Sam: So you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. No, there are none. Yeah, you keep on... inventing shadows... where there are none. You don't even see the sun. Can't you see the sun?

As Sam played the final keys on the piano, he regretted his words. He didn't feel the way he said in his songs, but at the same time he did. And that was the funny thing about music. Sometimes it opened his eyes to the things he couldn't see on his own.

Sam: You dim the lights in the world I see... How I wish that I could still believe... Time to save me... If I go who could blame me?

When he stopped playing, he looked up to find Julie there, watching him. Neither of them said a word, just staring at each other wondering where to go from there.

"Is that new?" she asked, finally. He nodded so she asked, "What does it mean?"

"Julie..." he mumbled, standing up.

"The truth, Sam," she said. "I just want you to tell me the truth. Did you even want to come out here with me yesterday?"

"Of course I did," he told her, making his way towards him. "And I'm glad we came. Like I told you earlier, I had a great time talking to you but..."

"But..." she sighed. 

"But you're right," he continued. "I've been acting weird and that's because this... us... just didn't feel right to me. It felt fun but it didn't feel the same as it did before. And maybe it wasn't supposed to but... Julie, please try to understand. I almost died. I missed weeks—months—of my life. Of the girls' lives. I was gone and then I got another chance and suddenly I was a dad. And I know that I left you alone for a while and that really affected you and I've felt so guilty about that. So guilty that I've wanted to find a way to make it up to you somehow and make you better. But I don't want guilt to be what's holding us together, Julie. You deserve better and I do, too."

"So what are you saying?" she asked.

"I'm saying that..." Sam hesitated. "That... I just have too many reasons for why I can't be with you right now. I just got a second chance at life and I don't want to miss anymore of it stuck in this pattern we always get caught up in. Last May you made it clear that we weren't going to do this until we knew for sure. For the girls. And I don't know for sure. I want to enjoy the life that I've got and I just don't think I can do that with you. Not because you wouldn't make me happy but... Because I never seem to be enough for you, Julie. You always find a problem with us, you always find a reason for why we can't work. There's always something missing, something I don't think I can give you."

Julie looked at him, unsure of what to say, just nodded and headed upstairs to her room, where he wasn't welcome for the rest of the night.

***

The next morning, Kitty was finishing up breakfast when she scrolled through her Facebook and saw a picture of Bree with Amity, Jake, Leila, Stefan and Ryder by a bonfire. She gasped when she saw Bree's arm around Jake.

"You know what?" Kitty said to herself. "It's fine... I'm fine... Bree can be friends with both of us. It's fine..." She served breakfast and made her way to Riley's room. "Riley!" she exclaimed. She opened her door and asked, "Are you ready for—" She shrieked when she saw that Riley was not only up already but also lying in bed with a boy. 

"Kitty!" Riley exclaimed.

"What the hell?!" she shouted back at her. "You! Out!" The guy reached for his backpack and made his way out. Kitty turned to Riley and said, "Are you serious?"

"Nothing happened, I swear," Riley said immediately. "We were just watching a movie. Look." She turned Kitty's computer around and revealed a darkened, paused Netflix screen.

Kitty gasped, "On my computer? And in the morning before school? What were you thinking, Riley? And who was that boy?"

"He's just a friend..." Riley responded. 

"Just a friend?" Kitty asked. "From where?"

"From school, he's in glee club," Riley said defensively. "I'm sorry I snuck him in but I just didn't want to wake you up."

"From glee club?" Kitty mumbled. "Oh my gosh, he's that boy you go to the Drag with! The little Alex-looking one!" Riley didn't understand any of this but Kitty still said, "No, no, no. There's no way I'm letting you date that boy."

"Excuse me?" Riley laughed. "I don't want to date him and I wasn't asking for permission."

"Eat your breakfast and get ready to go to school," Kitty said angrily. "I'm going down to McKinley with you today."

***

"Well, we're home," Sam said as he and Julie walked into the house with the girls in their arms. "She still asleep?"

He turned to Julie, who was holding Izzy, as she said, "Yeah, she somehow made it the whole ride back asleep. I'll go put her in the crib before Gaby starts crying and wakes her up."

Sam nodded, bouncing Gaby up and down as Julie went upstairs. When she returned, he was still trying to keep Gaby, who had just recently woken up from a nap, calm.

"Here," she said. "I'll feed her. I'm sure you have to get to the label soon so..."

"That's ok," Sam assured her. "I'll do it." He made his way into the kitchen and continued, "The label can wait. I want to do these sort of things when I can, Julie."

Julie didn't answer. She leaned onto the island and avoided eye contact as Sam carefully prepared a bottle for Gaby while keeping her perfectly positioned in his arms. 

"If you want me to go—" he told her as he pulled out the container with stored breast milk out of the fridge.

"It's not that," Julie shook her head. "Regardless of what's happening with us, I still want you to live here. I want you to be there for them."

Sam nodded, surprised at how well she was handling this. In fact, he was handling the rejection a little too well for comfort.

After feeding Gaby and putting her back up in her crib, Sam rejoined Julie down in the living room. He reached for his cell phone, looked at the time, and said, "I have to go down to the label soon so... I guess I'll see you later tonight?"

"Yeah," Julie nodded, waving goodbye and turning her attention to the TV. Sam waited for her to say something else, but he didn't, so he took a deep breath and left.

***

["I Know What You Did Last Summer" by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello.]

Dan and Amity: Ahhh. Hey-ey. Ahhh - Ahhh. Ahh. Hey-ey. Ahhh - Ahhh.

As Dan strum his guitar, he and Amity stood in front of Crystal Army, Santana, Travis, Leila and Shana, Jake, Sebastian and a few other label people. Sam arrived just as Amity started singing the first verse, his eyes immediately noting the clear presence of Andy, Shawn, Harmony and several other people from the Losing Juliet movie. 

Amity: He knows. Dirty secrets that I keep. Does he know it's killing me? He knows, he knows... D-d-does he know.

Sam took a seat next to his band mates, wondering what this was all about, and Amity continued to sing, not even realizing that he had gotten there. She was entirely focusing on making this performance as best as it could be and had no time to look at the audience for any distractions. 

Amity: Another's hand have touched my skin. I won't tell him where I've been. He knows, he knows, he knows.

Dan felt the same way. He turned towards Amity and kept his gaze on her for a few seconds.

Both: It's tearing me apart. 

Their voices were blending together better than they ever had before. He gave one look at Sebastian and the producers and could tell that they agreed.

Dan (Amity): She's slipping away (I'm slipping away) Am I just hanging on to all the words she used to say? 

He turned back to Amity and the two sang to each other.

Both: The pictures on her phone. 
Dan (Amity): She's not coming home (I'm not coming home. Coming home, coming home!) I know what you did last summer (Ah-ah) Just lie to me there's no other (He-ey) I know what you did last summer .

Amity glanced over at their sizable audience for a split second, too tempted to see how they were reacting. Some of them were bobbing their heads but her friends weren't really reacting at all.

Both: Tell me where you've been.

When she turned back to Dan, he looked at her wearily, indicating that he too had noticed their friends' lack of enthusiasm.

Dan (Amity): I know what you did last summer (Ah-ah) Look me in the eyes, my lover (He-ey) I know what you did last summer.

But maybe, Amity figured, it was the fact that half of them were incredibly exhausted from their short cabin trip.

Both: Tell me where you've been.

Still, they would appreciate a bit more enthusiasm.

Dan (Both): I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know (I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know) 

When they turned around again to the their audience, Amity surveyed their faces again, and saw that Alex was deep in thought. John was actually paying attention. Sam looked a bit distracted by all the people there. And Santana seemed intrigued at the very least. Everyone else was hard to read.

Dan (Amity): (No, no, no) Can't seem to let you go, can't seem to keep you close (Hold me close) I can't seem to let you go, I can't seem to keep you close (You know I didn't mean it though) Tell me where you've been lately. Tell me where you've been lately (Just hold me close) Tell me where you've been lately. Tell me where you've been lately. (Don't, don't, don't, don't let me go)

Amity didn't want to focus on them anymore, however, so she turned to Dan once again and increased her performance energy, hoping that would be enough to get the people in the room she actually knew to show a little more support.

Both: I can't seem to let you go, can't seem to hold you close!

Dan continued to strum, glad that he at least had his guitar to keep him busy. 

Dan (Amity): I know what you did last summer (Ah-ah) Just lie to me there is no other (He-ey) I know what you did last summer. 

Between strumming, singing, and looking at Amity, he didn't have much time to pay attention to what everybody else was doing.

Both: Tell me where you've been.

While they continued to sing, Peyton walked into the room, trying not to call attention to herself. She carefully joined the empty seat beside Logan, who was sitting in the back with Harmony and Andy. 

Dan (Amity): I know what you did last summer (Ah-ah) Look me in the eyes, my lover (He-ey) I know what you did last summer. 

When Dan saw Peyton, he nearly stumbled on his words, but luckily Amity regained his attention.

Both: Tell me where you've been.

And like that, the two finished their song without any major complications or screw ups of any kind, which was a win any day. 

Both (Amity): I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know (Ah-ah, He-ey) I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know (Ah-ah, ah-ah) I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know (Ah-ah, He-ey) I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know (Ah-ah, ah-ah) I know.

When the song ended, everybody clapped and some even cheered. "Finally," Amity whispered to Dan.

He smiled at her and the two moved away from the front. Then as Sebastian started talking to their many guests, they joined their friends and Sam immediately asked, "Ok, I got here kind of late so... Will someone tell me why we're here?"

"They're shooting parts of the movie here," said Dan. "And Sebastian said he'd try to get us a place on the movie's soundtrack."

"With this song?" Sam asked. "Don't get me wrong; it's a great song. But it doesn't really fit the story."

"You know the story?" John asked, amused.

Sam shrugged, "I may have read a summary. What? I had to know what I was competing with!"

"What's the point if you were going to take yourself out of the race?" asked Jake, shaking his head.

Sam opened his mouth to respond but before he could, Sebastian rejoined them. The guests were leaving so Amity asked, "How did it go?"

"It went well," Sebastian answered. "So well that one of the producers contacted his bud in the music industry. Now, the song's not exactly fitting to the movie—"

"Told ya," mumbled Sam quietly from behind them.

"—but they still loved you," Sebastian said, "and found someone who has been looking to book several artists for a big US tour. So you are now on that list."

"Wow that's amazing!" Amity exclaimed with an excited laugh while the others also celebrated. 

"Yeah," Sebastian nodded. "And the good news goes around. They need a headliner and they need a big name. So I said, 'What sells tickets better than a band making a comeback tour after almost three years of not touring the country?' So it looks like Crystal Army will be hitting the road next week with featured opening act, Dan and Amity."

"Are you serious?" asked Tyler as Sam exclaimed, "Next week?"

"Wait, wait, wait," Amity stopped all the commotion. "Dan and I are opening up for Crystal Army?"

"And we start next week?" asked Dan nervously.

Sebastian nodded and said, "We're looking at three months so far but even more dates will be added if the first couple are as successful as I know they will be. This is a huge opportunity for all of us so I've already given the ok to announce the first few concerts and put tickets up for sale online. Crystal Army fans are getting restless and Dan and Amity need more fans. It's a win-win for both groups here."

Dan looked at Amity's excited face and then at the guys, who were trying to decide whether to be happy about going on the road again or not. He cleared his throat and said, "But, uh, we don't have a manager. You said we didn't get to go on the road until we had one."

"That's right," said Sebastian. He looked down at his phone and said, "And look here, I've just heard back from the guys' management. They're willing to look after you while you're out on the road with them. Like I said, win-win for everybody. It's a temporary arrangement that'll boost your careers so try to look happier. These decisions are being made by the second and in just a few minutes, you will have yourself a fully booked first two weeks of the tour so I wouldn't hesitate any longer to voice any concerns."

As Sebastian began to walk away, Dan followed after him and said, "Uh, Sebastian, I have a concern. I have to go film my movie in a month."

"Ah yes," Sebastian nodded. "Well, you can choose your music career over your film career... And if not, Amity would be a great solo act. Either way, I need an answer ten seconds ago before signs are made, billboards are posted, etcetera, etcetera, et—"

"I don't want to stop doing music," Dan told him.

"Then it's decided," Sebastian said with a smile. "You're going on tour." His phone beeped and he looked down to say, "The tour announcement has been made! I expect we'll be sold out by the end of the day."

As Sebastian walked away, Amity rushed over to Dan and gave him a hug. "Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed. "It's finally happening! We're official openers—not just filling in for Julie or anyone else anymore! This is exciting!" She saw the lack of enthusiasm on Dan and asked, "What's wrong? Were you not ready for..? Oh my gosh. You have the Spider-Man thing. I totally spaced. How—"

"Don't worry about it," Dan forced a smile. "I can do both, no problem. The tour is important to both of us so we're signing our contracts and doing this thing."

Amity smiled, "Thank you. I'm so excited!"

***

"A tour, huh?" Kitty said as she sat in her car outside of McKinley. "That's exciting. Tell the guys and Amity congrats for me, ok?"

"Will do," said Dan. He wasn't sure why he'd called Kitty of all people to tell them the news about it, but he had and now he had to continue the conversation or it'd just be awkward. "So, uh... What are you up to?"

"Oh, I'm just at work," Kitty lied. "In my office..." A distant bell rang and then several students began walking out of the building. "Oh, Dan, I have to go now! Laters!" Before Dan had a chance to respond, she hung up and raced out of her car and into McKinley. 

She was just about to waltz into the choir room when she heard the music start to play.

["Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor and John Legend.]

Kayli (with New Directions): I found myself dreaming in silver and gold. Like a scene from a movie (that every broken heart knows). We were walking on moonlight. And you pulled me close. Split second and you disappeared and then (I was all alone...)

Kitty leaned her head against the door frame as she watched Kayli stand alone in front of the room. It was a beautiful song and she sang it beautifully.

Kayli: I woke up in tears. With you by my side. A breath of relief. And I realized. No, we're not promised tomorrow.

But Kitty was more focused on the words, which made her remember how much pain she had been in. She missed Jake. And she missed her friends, too. Julie was busy raising her kids and dealing with her relationship with Sam. And Bree was always too busy to hang out with her but free to hang out with virtually anyone else in town.

Kayli with New Directions: So I'm gonna love you. Like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna hold you. Like I'm saying goodbye wherever we're standing. I won't take you for granted 'cause we'll never know when. When we'll run out of time so I'm gonna love you. Like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you.

Inside the choir room, Kayli turned to Jeremy, who rose from his seat and joined her for the duet. Most of their peers were excited, while Riley and Jack sat together and watched apathetically.

Jeremy (with New Directions): In the blink of an eye. Just a whisper of smoke. You could lose everything. (The truth is you never know.)

Riley was only trying to pretend she didn't care, but she did care. It was her junior year and Kayli was taking advantage of their seniority in glee club by befriending the freshmen and the sophomores. She was great friends with the seniors. Meanwhile, Riley's only good friend in the club was Jack, who was even more of a loner than she was. 

Jeremy with New Directions (Kayli): So I'll kiss you longer baby (he-ey) Any chance that I get. I'll make the most of the minutes and love with no regrets. Let's take our time. To say what we want. (say what we want) Use what we got. Before it's all gone. (all gone) 'Cause no, we're not promised tomorrow.

And since when had Kayli and Jeremy become such good friends? Riley was still living in the world where Kayli was a mega cheerleader bitch and Jeremy was comic nerd, One Direction loving Jere-freak. 

Kayli with Jeremy and New Directions: So I'm gonna love you. Like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna hold you. Like I'm saying goodbye. 

She was thinking about all of this when she looked up at the door and saw Kitty there. "Oh no," she muttered as she tried to find a way to get her attention and convince her to leave.

Both: Wherever we're standing. I won't take you for granted 'cause we'll never know when. When we'll run out of time so I'm gonna love you. Like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you...

But by the time the song ended, it was too late to make Kitty turn away. She waltzed right in as everyone else clapped for Kayli and Jeremy. Finn didn't notice and had begun talking until he saw Kitty was already next to him.

"Oh, Kitty!" exclaimed Finn, caught off guard. "Uh, what brings you here?"

"Just dropping by," Kitty shrugged with a smile.

"Yeah..." Finn nodded. "Unannounced..."

"Yeah," Kitty repeated. "So what's going on here this week?"

"It's Valentine's Week," Finn explained. "So this year we are celebrating with duets."

"Oh..." Kitty muttered. "Cool, cool... So wouldn't it be cool if you had like, an alumni contribution?" She looked at Riley and added, "I'd love to duet with the kids?"

"Awesome," Finn told her. 

"Great, I'd love to sing with—" she began.

"We're halfway through the week," Finn said, "so a few people have already gone. But you can still partner with Madison, with Jack, and with Helen."

Kitty frowned. She wouldn't have volunteered if she knew she'd have to sing with the overly eager cheerleader, the loner guy, or the intimidatingly talented cheerleader. She was about to back out when she realized something. Jack was the guy she'd caught in her house that morning. Thus, he was the perfect way to find out what was going on with Riley.

"Jack," Kitty said, prompting Riley to have a small, silent freak out from beside him. "My pipes are amazing but they'd clash with the other ladies."

"Then it's settled," Finn said with a smile. "Madison and Helen will sing together and Jack, you'll be singing with Kitty. Let's keep the duets coming."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

787 89 13
Some of the New Directions gang have moved to New York 5 years after graduation. Some living together, some alone, but nevertheless every Friday Nigh...
454K 10.3K 53
Everyone at McKinley High knows about New Directions. When the glee club does a production of Grease, sophomore Juliet Vasquez is dragged along to se...
11K 251 30
i made a fist and not a plan. [ FEM!OC / STILES STILINSKI ] [ TEEN WOLF S5 ]
151K 3.6K 76