Nobody But You

By SarahSwartz

PREVIOUSLY TITLED "HOW CAN I HATE YOU BUT STILL LOVE YOU?" "DESIRE" Title sometimes changes. Not often. Writ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 21

2.8K 108 5
By SarahSwartz

JACKSON

I've been in the hospital for about a week. Kim would come almost every single day. So would Jake and Mom who came everyday while Dirk would spend days and nights with me. He never wanted to leave me alone.

Dirk was sitting in a chair beside my bed reading a book as I laid in bed on my phone, listening to music.

Soon a thought came to my mind. It was a thought that needed to be talked about.

"Dirk?" I said as I took out my earbuds.

He took off his reading glasses and looked at me. "Yes, Jackson?"

"Can we talk?"

Dirk nodded and placed his book on his lap and turned to me. "Yeah, sure. What do you want to talk about?"

"College."

Dirk intertwined his hands together on his lap as he spoke. "What about college?"

"Is it too late to apply?"

A smile crossed his face. "Are you thinking about going to college?"

I shrugged. "I guess."

"It's never too late." Dirk said. "Graduation is still a way off but you can start at a community college. They will take you." He was quiet for a moment. "Where'd this sudden interest in college come from?"

I shrugged again. "I guess I want to keep my options open when I graduate."

"Do you know what you want to do after college?"

I shook my head. "No."

"That's the thing about college. That's where you get to see what interest you and find something you would like to get a job in."

I nodded. "Am I able to be homeschooled for the rest of the year and still go to college?"

"Why say that?"

"I'm not going back to school."

Dirk sighed and got up, taking a seat on the bed with me. "Why?"

I shrugged, not making any eye contact with him. "Is High School really necessary?"

"Jackson, what's wrong?"

I sighed as I felt my lip quiver and tears build up in my eyes. "I'm not going back." My voice shook as I spoke.

"Oh." Dirk finally got it. "Don't worry. Mr. Beckler is taking care of it."

I shook my head. "I hate that damn school."

Dirk pulled me into a hug as I cried. I hugged him back while crying in to his shoulder. "It's okay, Jackson."

"I never want to go back." I mumbled into his shirt.

"To be honest, I don't want you to go back either." He stroked my hair as he continued to speak. "I don't know what your Mom would think about that though."

I cried for a little while longer, not saying a single word before pulling away and wiped my eyes.

"Life sucks."

Dirk had tears in his eyes now. "It does suck." He wiped his eye, trying to prevent tears from falling. "I hate seeing you like this."

"Me too." I leaned back.

Dirk looked to the side before looking back at me. "We'll talk about this later. I have to go."

"No you don't."

He motioned his head towards the door. "I do."

I looked in the direction he motioned at and saw Kim standing outside the room talking to a nurse. I smiled as I looked at her.

"I'll be back." He said and patted my shoulder before leaving the room. I saw him talking to Kim for a moment before he left my sight and Kim headed into the room. Her hands behind her back.

"Hey." She said and gave me a quick kiss.

"Hey."

She gave me a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm on drugs. What do you think?" This response making her laugh.

"Just thought I'd ask." She sat down beside me, her hands still behind her back. This action confused me. "Once I was in the hospital for a few days after I fell off my bike and got a concussion."

"Ohh." I scrunched my face at the idea of how much pain she must've felt.

"Yeah. They had to put me on so many different drugs it just felt awful."

"Good to know." I laughed. "How are you?"

"I'm good. How is your shoulder?"

"Better."

"What about your wrist?"

I took a glance at the bandage on my wrist before looking back up at her. "Can barely feel it."

"I got you something." She said suddenly.

"And what would that be?"

She smiled as she brought her hands from behind her back and revealed she was holding a rectangular wrapped gift. "This."

She handed it to me. "And what is this?"

"Well, open it to find out, stupid." She joked.

"Good old Kim." I said and started opening the gift. Once enough wrapping was gone to take a clear guess of what it was my eyes grew wide. I ripped the rest of the wrapping off and just stared at the book in front of me. It was a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. "Oh my god." I whispered.

"I remember we talked briefly about it and thought you would like a copy."

I grew a smile. "I love it. Thank you so much." I said and kissed her. "This means a lot." I flipped through the pages real fast when I letter fell out of the book and on to my lap. I put the book down and picked up the letter. It clearly said Dear Jackson on it. "What?"

"That's something for you to read on your own time."

I looked up from the letter to her. "This is pretty cool."

"I'm glad you like it."

I put the letter in the book and placed the book on the table beside me real quick. "This means a lot." I scooted to the side of the bed to make room so she could lay down beside me which she did. "I love you."

"I love you too." She said and kissed me. "How are they treating you here?" She asked suddenly.

"Well, one nurse is pretty cranky. The doctor's a chill guy. The food is edible. I guess they're treating me pretty good."

"I see you've been getting along with Dirk lately."

I chuckled. "Yeah, he's been helping me out a lot. He doesn't treat me much like a son anymore. More of a friend."

"That's great."

"Can I tell you something?" I suddenly found myself asking.

"What?"

"Do you think I can get into college?"

This snapped her at full attention. "College?"

"Yeah, I just talked to Dirk about it but I would like a second opinion."

She smiled. "I am positive you can get in." She paused for a moment. "How long have you been thinking about it?"

"Just a few days. I want to go somewhere in my life."

"You can do anything you want to do." She said and pecked my lips.

We laid together for a while until Dirk came in.

"Hey guys." He said, holding some take-out. "I got us some good food. I bet you're tired of crackers and soup, Jackson."

"Hells yeah." I said making Kim laugh.

Dirk laughed too. "Okay, Jackson. Chill a little on the cussing."

"Who says 'cussing'?"

"Apparently I do." Dirk said and handed Kim and I a bag each. "Hope burgers are okay with you, Kim."

"I love burgers." She said. "Thank you."

"Thanks." I said.

Dirk sat in the chair beside the bed. "Jackson, I talked to the doctors. They said you can go home in a week or less."

"Cool."

"Your Mom and I are going to keep a close eye on you and we think it's best if you don't go to school for another week or so."

"Okay." I unwrapped my hamburger and took a bite. The thought that I was finally eating good food made me the happiest person in the world.

"Kim, you mind keeping a close eye on him when he's at your house or if his Mom and I aren't home?"

Kim nodded. "I think I can do that."

Dirk clapped his hands together. "Thank you." He turned to look at Jackson. "I'm picking up your work at school in a bit. Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

Dirk finished his meal first. "I'm going to run out now. Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

"The doctor comes in to check on you in about five minutes. Just thought you should know."

I sighed. "You talk too much."

"I'm just being a parent."

I laughed. "Go." I joked and waved him off.

"Okay. Have fun."

I took a look at Kim in admiration. "I plan to."

She looked back at me with the same look as I decided to kiss the top of her head.

"Jackson." Dirk warned.

"I meant hang out. Maybe read or watch TV."

Dirk pointed a finger at me. "You're lucky I trust you." He said and left the room.

"He trust me?"

Kim gave a small laugh. "Well, you have been a lot more trustworthy lately."

"That's because of you." I said and kissed her lips. She did make me a better person. She's the best thing to ever happen to me.

"Aww. That's sweet." She said and pecked my lips.

"Want to read the book with me?"

"Sure."

I picked up To Kill a Mockingbird off the table beside me, opening it up and began reading it out loud to Kim...

When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.8K 1.5K 65
She hasn't thought about him in years. Why would she? She only thought of him as her Brothers Best Friend that moved to another state years ago and s...
1.3M 5.9K 3
Love thy rival... Winning the promotion she's up for at work is all Abby Gillis cares about. Well, it is until she's forced to move in with her rival...
3.5M 6.9K 7
{EDITING} |All Aaron McCarter wants is to make his roommate's life a living nightmare, but will love get in the way of his plans for revenge?| ...
2.7K 241 32
Being a teenager is tough, and that's before you factor in the boys, jealous exes and developmental issues. -------------------------------------- "H...