When It's Time to Move On

Per saimcheeda

The story about a dying man who gets another chance at life. Or rather four. Four doors that lead him to diff... Més

Prologue
The Hospital - Chapter 1 - Bad News
The Station - Chapter 2 - Who are you?
Door 1 - Chapter 3 - Where Am I?
Door 1 - Chapter 4 - This Beautiful Life
Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger
Door 1 - Chapter 6 - Lost in the Mist
Door 1 - Chapter 7 - His Story
Door 1 - Chapter 8 - New Starts
Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations
Door 1 - Chapter 10 - The Poor Woman
Door 1 - Chapter 11 - Broken Lives
Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out
Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind
The Station - Chapter 14 - What was that?
Door 2 - Chapter 15 - Wasteland
Door 2 - Chapter 16 - Standoff
Door 2 - Chapter 17 - His Story
Door 2 - Chapter 18 - Sergio
Door 2 - Chapter 19 - Someplace Safe
Door 2 - Chapter 20 - Cleansing
Door 2 - Chapter 21 - Remember
Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith
Door 2 - Chapter 23 - Wake up
Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye
Door 2 - Chapter 25 - Innocence
Door 2 - Chapter 26 - Don't Forget
The Station - Chapter 27 - Why me?
Door 3 - Chapter 28 - Once Again
Door 3 - Chapter 30 - Desperation
Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive
Door 3 - Chapter 32 - Importance
Door 3 - Chapter 33 - Finer Things in Life
Door 3 - Chapter 34 - Choosing to Live
Door 3 - Chapter 35 - Her Story
Door 3 - Chapter 36 - Thank You
Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin
Door 3 - Chapter 38 - Understanding
Door 3 - Chapter 39 - How They Lived
Door 3 - Chapter 40 - Closure
Door 3 - Chapter 41 - A Smile Away
Door 3 - Chapter 42 - All of Them
The Station - Chapter 43 - Will you be with me?
Door 4 - Chapter 44 - A New Life
Door 4 - Chapter 45 - Search for Passion
Door 4 - Chapter 46 - Feelings Hour
Door 4 - Chapter 47 - Close Call
Door 4 - Chapter 48 - Hustling
Door 4 - Chapter 49 - Bonding
Door 4 - Chapter 50 - Her
Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink
Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius
Door 4 - Chapter 53 - Worth It
Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us
Door 4 - Chapter 55 - Their Story
Door 4 - Chapter 56 - Longton
Door 4 - Chapter 57 - The Exhibit
Door 4 - Chapter 58 - For the Last Time
The Station - Chapter 59 - What do you think now?
Door 5 - Chapter 60 - One Good Turn
The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On
Epilogue - The Train

Door 3 - Chapter 29 - All Those Years Ago

35 5 3
Per saimcheeda

Harris found himself standing outside his apartment, feeling his resentment for the doctor. She had neglected his blood test on the assumption that they would turn fine like the several other tests he'd had over the years, but it still didn't give her any right to do so. As to what possessed her to play god and handpick who she wanted to treat or not was flabbergasting.

The apartment had one distinct aspect about it as he entered. It looked as if someone lived there. The sunlight beaming in reflected a house well-lived in, and displayed traces of a person that enjoyed his time there. Harris felt himself calm a little on the sight of his comfortable possessions. It had been some time since he'd been at home. The bedroom could not have looked more inviting. His eyes closed as soon as he laid his head down.

The room was encapsulated in darkness when he came to. For a moment he thought he'd seen a flash of light streak across his closed eyelids but it seemed as if that may have been a dream. Now that he'd woken up, sleep eluded him.

A sudden throb to the side of his stomach came to his attention. He readjusted himself to get more comfortable when he felt it again. Harris sat up, memories coming back to him. He shook his head to reorganize his thoughts. Perhaps he was thinking too much over the whole Dr. Roslin business. 

Figuring he was up anyway, he decided to make the most of it. The fridge was stocked with supplies and he was thankful he'd been mindful enough to purchase all the items. Loading up with what he felt like having, he switched on the TV with plans of having a midnight snack with something good to watch.

Things seemed well on course for a good night as Harris enjoyed his meal and his favorite movie. The film was halfway through when the cable cut off. Exasperated, his attempts at making it work reaped no results and he searched for alternate modes of entertainment such as sifting through his CD collection. He picked out one with no title, curious to see which film it was.

"Look into the camera." A woman's voice called out, he jerked his head upwards so fast a crick manifested. But Harris didn't care, his attention firmly on the image on the screen.

The face of a laughing child – two to three years old at most – beamed back at him. The boy thrashed about playfully in the arms of someone who held up a squishy toy above him. The boy's attempts to grab it was foiled by the person holding him, but only because it seemed to amuse the child further.

Harris stared back into the enormous, innocent eyes of his younger self. Those eyes so ecstatic with the gleam of new life, the wide laugh that no doubt used up so much of the breath contained in those tiny lungs; he could almost remember it. 

The voice he had heard belonged to his mother, who was not in the frame, but her voice ran through all these years straight into his heart even now. He could almost feel her near him as he heard her speak, the tenderness found only in a mother's voice.

"Mommy loves you." She spoke, as the child in the video wiggled in happiness. Harris found himself enamored by it, he had almost forgotten what life with family had been like. Now having caught him by surprise, letting go of that feeling was particularly difficult to do.

"Look at how fast he is." His mother remarked proudly as the child successfully grabbed the toy."

"He'll be the greatest athlete. We'll be parents to the next sensation in twenty years' time." The person holding his younger self finally spoke.

The camera moved upward as his face was revealed. A handsome man with dark curly hair, and a regal beard, features gruff akin to someone who was assertive in personality. His shoulders were broad and the hands that held the boy were clearly relaxed in their grip. Harris's father looked straight into the screen. 

Their eyes met, making him realize his father had never changed the way he had looked at him. The affection had always been present, up until the end. The final memory of his vaguely stirred in Harris's mind before his mother spoke up again.

"I don't know what we'd do without our children. I don't think I could ever go back from being a parent." She spoke lovingly.

"Don't worry, you'll never have to." His father assured her as he caressed the younger Harris who fell asleep peacefully.

The footage ended, and he fell back on the couch, his mind nowhere near the happenings of earlier in the day. Harris stared into the television set, despite it being switched off by now. He had himself occupied with the memories of his childhood. 

Thinking back, he couldn't recall why he'd had the CD out to view – it had usually dwelled way back in the store – but was unexpectedly glad he had. The video had stirred up lost nostalgia – he found himself wanting to watch more of some old tapes.

After over an hour of segregating home videos from movies, he was ready for his walk down memory lane.

In the ensuing hours, he watched tapes of his growing years. His first day of school, how he had bawled relentlessly to have his father take him back home which technically didn't make it his first day of school. 

His first-ever performance in the first grade, his father had thrown such a ruckus cheering overly enthusiastically the school had given them a video of his cheering alone. The antics he'd pulled with his school friends; it was a wonder what a troublemaker he had been back then, from tying a boy's shoelaces with the chair to throwing water balloons at girls, the younger Harris had been a mischief.

The tapes shifted in narrative as he grew older. Long trips on the road with his siblings, extravagant parties with friends – those where he would spend too generously on their gifts and be scolded by his mother for running out of money. Odd jobs he'd worked as a teenager like working at the zoo; he'd forgotten how frantically he'd run away from the ostrich that had attempted to peck his head off. 

One video was relatively recent, a birthday party of a friend. He was one of his closest ones. In fact, the same friend had been the one who had gotten Harris his job. He'd always been grateful for that.

After the cancer had spread, he had more or less cut off contact with everyone. Now with the reminiscence running deeply within his skin, he felt a longing to catch up with all of them. The funny thing was, he was looking forward to it. 

He'd had so much fun going through the tapes that he decided to watch a few again. One of his favorite ones was where his father had taken him to the clinic; he found it amusing how frightened he had been of the flu. A doctor passing by had scared him that day.

"Take extra care of yourself, children are not immune to conditions such as cancer or tuberculosis. Even leaving a cold unchecked could have disastrous consequences." The doctor told him. 

He had broken into tears because of this, and the doctor quickly fled while his father consoled him. He had barely appreciated his father's ability to cheer him up when his eye fell on something else.

Harris sat up straight and rewound the video, pausing at the proper moment. There was no mistaking it. It was Dr. Roslin. He had never given the doctor much thought; it had been about him and his father, but now that it came to his notice, it was impossible not to see it. 

The hair was longer and thicker, her figure much sleeker, the glasses she wore would be classified as old fashioned now but were definitely the latest for that time, and her face was most distinctive from her current appearance. She was striking and could be a model for attractive, young doctors, and a would-be inspiration for others to consider the profession. 

The furtive technique with which she had slipped in and away from Harris indicated she was used to those quick tips to strangers. And the upright, to-business stance with which she carried herself was a mark of a confident woman.

Harris barely kept track of all the details. All his resurfaced affection for the past had fallen back into hibernation as the vehemence of contempt rose up. She'd had it in for him all this time, even when he had been a child. 

And now, years later, she had proven to be his undoing. His suffering could be traced all the way back to his childhood. And the catalyst for it was her. A doctor. A healer. The source for salvation from suffering. For Harris, she was anything but.

Now more determined than ever to return to her office and retrieve the file, Harris switched off the TV and sat silently in the darkness with thoughts only on seeking retribution from the doctor. His mother's laugh and his father's warmth a speck in the outreaches of his mind once more.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

4K 206 61
Here lie my thoughts in this book, why don't you stop and take a look. While you read the secrets written there, try to ignore the silent screams no...
129K 2.2K 34
ᴇ ɴ ᴅ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ; ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ. ʙʀɪᴇʟʟᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀɴꜱ ꜰᴏʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍ...
41 9 5
The story is about a man who never knew love in his lifetime. His time comes, where his soul leaves his body to heaven. He walks across all challenge...
37 14 14
"If you will be the moon I will the stars behind you if you are the sun then I will the sunlight if you are my heart then I would like be the reason...