Extra Ordinary

By oeurwari

The story of an ordinary girl's encounter with an extraordinary hero and what trials and tribulations come af... More

Chapter One - 'Groceries At 8 & Getting Kidnapped- Same Thing'
Chapter Two - 'You're Bloody And Wounded, You're Fine'
Chapter Three - 'Ghoulish'
Chapter Four - 'This Is A Good Milkshake'
Chapter Six - 'Which Sweetheart?'
Chapter Seven - 'Walking, Teleporting- Same Thing.'
Chapter Eight - 'I Picture A Dude In Spandex'
Chapter Nine - 'That Doesn't Sound Right...'
Chapter Ten - 'Can't Mind My Own Business, Clearly'
Chapter Eleven - 'Emergency'
Chapter Twelve - 'Thanks For Asking'
Chapter Thirteen - 'Silent Showdown'
Chapter Fourteen - 'My Bad'
Chapter Fifteen - 'Did I Become Prettier?'
Chapter Sixteen - 'Thugs' Doing'
Chapter Seventeen - 'That's Not Vague At All'
Chapter Eighteen - 'Scars Don't Go Away'
Chapter Nineteen - 'I Sound Like George'
Chapter Twenty - 'I'd Prefer It If You Were A Dog Person'
Chapter Twenty-One - 'We've Bonded Over Pain'
Chapter Twenty-Two - 'You Could Give The Devil Chills'
Chapter Twenty-Three - 'Weaselled Her Way In'
Chapter Twenty-Four - 'A Big Heart'
Chapter Twenty-Five - 'The Liv Limit'
Chapter Twenty-Six - 'Weird Trash Talker'
Chapter Twenty-Seven - 'Everything Sucks'
Chapter Twenty-Eight - 'Death By Brownie'
Chapter Twenty-Nine - 'You Shed Like Crazy.'
Chapter Thirty - 'Delivery Girl- Psych's Sidekick!'
Chapter Thirty-One - 'The Sweetest Bloody Angel They've Ever Met'
Chapter Thirty-Two - 'A Hellbent Demon'
Chapter Thirty-Three - 'A Certain Kind Of Dumb Luck'
Chapter Thirty-Four - 'Do I Have To Beat Someone Up?'
Chapter Thirty-Five - 'I'll Kick You In The Shin'
Chapter Thirty-Six - 'The Peculiar Case Of Three Heroes'
Chapter Thirty-Seven - 'Is That Blood?'
Chapter Thirty-Eight - 'I've Seen Her Without Bangs'
Chapter Thirty-Nine - 'A Cat's Choice'
Chapter Forty - 'Your Number Two Hero'
Q&A +

Chapter Five - 'Like From Pokemon?'

10.3K 557 220
By oeurwari

I was starting to regret the decision of a gap year. I had originally thought having it would be best idea ever considering how hellish I considered high school. But now that I was living it, it was more just like a never ending Sunday.

At this point I'd take up any opportunity to use up as much of my time as possible, do things I couldn't do before when my weeks would be taken up by school hours. But motivation wasn't quite there when Tyler wasn't around as much to hang out because he had started his job as a casual tutor.

I look around my room, as if I looked hard enough something would pop up. I force myself to get up and find myself wandering towards my bookshelf. I had considered reading a few times but I had read each book or comic on the shelf at least twice. I needed something new.

The library.

I grab my necessities and pull on a pair of socks before I head on downstairs.

I'm greeted by the smell of cooked pasta and tomato sauce. I'm truly disappointed when I see that it is Elizabeth cooking.

I had expected to see my dad in front of the stove. He only knew how to cook a few things and pasta was one of them. He was there nonetheless, except he was sitting at the counter, watching Elizabeth as she stirred the pot.

Was he teaching her how to make his pasta?

I can't help it but feel a little envious, my dad had promised to teach me how to make his pasta over the years yet we never seemed to get around to it due to his constant busy schedule, and the day he wasn't busy, he had went to Elizabeth? The woman he sees from the moment he opens his eyes to the moment he closes them?

My dad seems to notice my presence because he turns abruptly, a look of pleasant surprise lights up his ageing face. "Oh Olivia, I'm teaching your m- Elizabeth how to make pasta, it should be done pretty soon, stay and eat." He said, quickly recovering from his slip up.

Did he almost just call Elizabeth my mother?

I hesitate. I can't deny that it smells good. If I did eat it, it'd probably be the healthiest thing I've eaten all week- which says a lot considering how pasta isn't really all that healthy- at least my dad's version wasn't.

"It's not like you have a job to go to." Elizabeth interjects. I bite back the snarky remark I have in mind.

The two of them stare at me, waiting for a response. "C'mon, I haven't eaten with you for a while." Dad said, a little disappointed. Now that he mentioned it, I don't even recall the last time we were in the same room for more than five minutes.

Well maybe if you invited me out with you when you went with Elizabeth every week, it wouldn't be like this.

"Sure." I said, forcing a smile.

So we eat, we eat like a family. I think that's what my dad would say, otherwise, it was anything but that. I felt like a third wheel. To my dad. How weird is that? The two of them discuss plans of buying new furniture and reservations for some fancy restaurant next week whilst I shovelled the pasta into my mouth.

"How was the food Olivia? I think Elizabeth's might be better than mine!" Dad said, just noticing my vocal absence.

It just didn't feel right knowing my dad didn't cook it. "It was alright, I guess." I mumbled, pushing the plate away.

"Well you practically cleaned up, I'd say you loved it." Elizabeth grinned smugly.

"I skipped breakfast, at this point I could have a whole feast of alright food." I respond cooly, getting up from my seat. "Well bye, I'm going to look for a job."

I lied, going straight to the library.

I'm browsing through book spines, three books already stacked in my arms. I'm interrupted when I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn abruptly, surprised. "Can I help you?" I asked, puzzled. Even more so when I realise it's a boy that could be roughly around my own age. Am I supposed to know him?

He smiles at me as if we're familiar with each other, "I uh, you were the girl at the cafe I accidentally mistaken a few days ago." He took a thoughtful pause, "Sorry it's just, it's funny seeing you again. Just wanted to say hi."

Cafe?

Oh.

"Sorry, well, nice to meet you...again?" I uttered awkwardly, trying to suppress a silly grin.

"Well we haven't introduced ourselves yet so, hey, I'm Ash." He said. I notice he's very straightforward. It was oddly refreshing, I didn't come across people like this much.

So Ash...Like, from Pokemon?

"Like from Pokemon. It's short for Ashton." He clarified. I didn't say that out loud, Ash.

I suddenly recall suspecting him of being Super Psych the first time I saw him. Truth to be told I suspected almost everyone that day, but his sudden approach out of the blue only helped my case and his personality did seem a little... unreal.

What type of person comes up to a stranger they saw once before? Was he really this interactive? This friendly in general? I was probably being too paranoid...

I seriously need to get out more.

We stare at each other in tense silence and I notice it seems as if he's waiting for something. I raise an eyebrow.

Ash chuckled a little, "So, what's your name?"

Oh, right. "Call me Liv." I tell him.

"Alright." He smirks and I notice he has deep dimples in his cheeks. Then I notice all together he's kinda cute. Dark healthy tan, friendly smile, lean and big kind brown eyes that oddly reminded me of a puppy.

Ash tilts his head to try and read the titles of the books I hold in my arm. "Good choices."

I smile awkwardly. "That's good to hear."

"I've read that one about five times." He points at one of the books I hold.

"I'll take your word for it then...it better be amazing." I joked, grinning.

Ash nodded, his soft looking hair bouncing along with the motion. "I have a few other book suggestions if you want." He suggested sheepishly.

My smile can't help but broaden, I hadn't realised how desperate I was for friendly communication until now, "That would be great. I'm going to need as many books I can get my hands on."

"I take it that you have a lot of time on your hands?" He guessed. He guessed right. I felt a little dejected though...

"Currently having a very boring gap year." I explained briefly.

"That makes sense. People at this time of year can only make time for textbooks." He gestured over to the desks at the end of the library where people around my age were studying, noses buried within textbooks.

A wave of dread washes over me. I figure that might be me when the year ends.

"What about you? Are you in college?" I asked. Ash smiled and nodded, "Yeah, my second year."

Before I can question him further, I feel a vibration in my jean pocket and I pull out my phone. It's an incoming call from Tyler. I look over at Ash. He doesn't seem to mind as he smiles and turns around politely to look over the books on the shelves.

"Hey Ty." I answer, lowering my voice.

"Did you hit puberty while I was gone?"

"I'm at the library." I clarified, rolling my eyes.

"Oh great, I kinda needed to pick some textbooks for some of my uh, students. Do you mind getting them?"

I shrug though Tyler can't see me. "Yeah, text me the titles."

"Alright, thanks Liv. I owe you one."

"Like hell you do." I joke, and the calls ends. A few seconds later the phone vibrates in my hand again only to reveal a text from Tyler with all the titles.

"Uh, Ash?" I call hesitantly.

Ash turns around, "Yeah?"

"You don't have to, but could you help me find some textbooks?"

"Yeah. What are they?"

I show him my phone and he reads over the text. "I know where a few of them should be." He directs me to look for the other half of the list and we split off.

It takes a while to find them, but I'm glad Ash helped. He must've been really familiar with the library because by the time I finally found two, he was done with half of the list.

A little over five minutes and we're both stuck on finding the last one. We end up asking the librarian, something we should've done from the get go because she tells us it has been checked out.

Ash pursed his lips, his thick eyebrows drawn in, thinking. "I think my friend actually has that one... I'm sure she can let you borrow it."

I smile gratefully, "Really? Thanks a lot, Ash."

"I'll text you so we can meet up again for it?" He suggests. I brush off the odd feeling of being of hit on and nod, I suppose people can just be friendly without any other intentions. We both pull out our phones for an exchange of numbers.

"Do you need help carrying them? That's quite a lot." He offers kindly.

"The library gives out bags for them, don't they? You've helped a lot, but I think I'll be fine, thanks again."

"No worries. See you around." He winked. I'd be lying if I said he seemed nothing out of the ordinary, the thought of Super Psych never wandered far from my mind.

We part ways and I can't help but smile as I make my way back home. Glad I've made some sort of a new friend.

"Thanks, really."

I unload the books onto Tyler. Practically dragging a luggage of textbooks home had felt like my arm was about to dislocate at any given moment. Perhaps I should've agreed to Ash's offer.

"One of them was checked out, but Ash said he could let you borrow it." I tell him, dropping into the bed beside him.

Tyler raised his eyebrows, perplexed. "Ash?"

"This guy I met at the library, he was nice and helped me out."

Tyler's face morphed into horror. "Seriously? Again?"

"What do you mean again?"

"Stop talking to strangers. Not everyone is a superhero." He chided me like a child. I sigh, I didn't want to argue with him because I knew he had a point, I just wish he didn't. I was aware he was worried for me, but Ash really did seem harmless.

It wasn't like Ash would reveal to be a monster or anything.

I get him into a playful headlock, I pull on him to bring his face down to mine. "Ty, meeting strangers is how you make friends." I continued, "We met because we were once strangers, remember?"

Tyler rolled his eyes and pulled out of my grip. "Yeah but your mother was friends with mine, so it's different."

"Whatever, just trust me. I'm not going to die. It's not like I'm going to meet him alone at his house."

"I'm the one borrowing the book, I'll meet up with him." He didn't sound very motivated though.

I shrug. "Fine. But I'm coming, too. It would be nice to make another friend to annoy. You know all my jokes already."

"I can pretend I've forgotten them." Tyler suggests, smirking.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231 20 19
It's the story of nine young men and women with extraordinary abilities who finally came to know that they got these powers for a particular reason...
572 52 14
It's trusting her no matter what.Those heartwarming night texts that lights the soul.Its when you mess up and she is mad at you and all you can do is...
21 1 8
What if our regrets and hopes for change are heard by mysterious entities in this world? What if we are given the chance to prove that we also have s...
77 1 23
This is a story about a teenage couple and their ups and downs. It's their journey of love.