Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Twenty-Three

52 10 3
By Ithildaeforever

"Sameil?" Nikandros called out softly.

Sameil was sitting by a fire with Hammond and the men. He looked over and raised an eyebrow in amusement before coming over, "Yes?"

Nikandros smiled slightly, "Could you keep an eye on Thea for me? I need to arrange a few things."

Sameil nodded, "Sure." He took Nikandros' place near her.

Nikandros nodded in satisfaction and walked around the camp looking for Ulric. He found him leaning against a tree, studying the ground intently, lost in thought.

"Ah," Nikandros called out, "Prince Ulric!"

Ulric's head jerked up. When he saw the assassin, he smiled slightly, "I hear I am to congratulate you!" His face broke out in a  grin.

Nikandros mirrored the grin, "Aye." He sobered slightly, "But I have a favor to ask."

Ulric raised an eyebrow, "Go on."

"Well," Nikandros started awkwardly, "I was wondering if you would marry Thea and I."

Ulric's eyes widened, "What? You want me..." he paused, "to marry you two?"

Nikandros nodded, "You rescued us, and gave up your home to do that. Would you?" He asked anxiously.

"Of course." Ulric exclaimed, "It would be an honor."

Nikandros nodded in satisfaction and smiled.

"When is the wedding?" Ulric asked.

"Day after tomorrow."

"Wow." was all Ulric could say. He would have precious little time to prepare.

"Alright. See you then." Nikandros nodded and then turned and walked away.

The next person Nikandros talked to was Hammond, "May I have a word with you, sir?" Nikandros asked.

"Sure. What is on your mind?" Hammond withheld a grin.

"Well," Nikandros started, "Is there any like extra cloth or something that I could get for cheap in this camp?"

"Why?"

"I would like to try and make Thea a new outfit." Nikandros shuffled his feet awkwardly, "I'm not very good at sewing, but I can try."

"Ah, I see." Hammond smirked slightly, "Well we don't have many things here besides necessities, but perhaps I could send someone to the nearby town."

"I don't think I can afford that." Nikandros looked down at his feet awkwardly.

"Don't worry about it, Lad. I gotcha covered." Hammond smirked his signature cocky smile.

"I couldn't accept that." Nikandros said quickly.

"Consider it a...wedding gift!"

Nikandros hesitated, "Are you sure?" He asked.

"Course!"

Nikandros smiled sincerely, "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Hammond chuckled. "I'll go send Markis now."

Nikandros nodded, "One more thing. Can we hold the wedding here in the camp day after tomorrow?"

"Ya, I guess so." Hammond scanned the camp for Markis. He called him over when he found him.

Markis hurried over, "Yes, Hammond?" He asked cheerfully.

Hammond pointed to Nikandros, "This is Nikandros. He needs your help. Do as he asks." He didn't wait for an answer and walked away, leaving Nikandros and Markis alone.

Markis turned to Nikandros, "What do you need, sir?"

"Well," Nikandros thought through what he needed, "I would like you to go to town and get some things for me."

Markis nodded, "What would you like me to get?"

"I would like some fruit, but make sure it is not too expensive." Nikandros began, "and I would like you to go to the local seamstress and ask her to make a simple white dress."

Markis nodded, "Anything else?"

Nikandros shook his head, "No." He reached into his pocket and felt around. Withdrawing his hand, he produced a few small coins. "This is to pay for what fruit you can, and then please ask Hammond for the dress money." Nikandros continued, "Just tell the seamstress to make an inexpensive, simple dress, but make it a pretty dress." Nikandros thought to see if he had forgotten anything, "I think that should be it. You may go."

Markis nodded once, took the money, and then ran off to find Hammond, "Sir," he began, "Nikandros said he wanted a dress and fruit. He gave me a few coins for as much fruit as I could get, but he said to see you about the dress. He said to make it a simple one, so it shouldn't cost very much."

"Okay. Here." Hammond handed a handful of coins to the younger man, "Bring back any extras." He instructed, "And if you don't do exactly that, you will be in big trouble, got it?"

Markis nodded, took the coins and ran off towards the town, making sure to come into the town from a different direction from the camp.

He trotted around the streets, looking for fruit and a seamstress. 'Seamstress first.' He decided. Glancing around, he saw a sign with scissors and thread, marking a seamstress. Walking briskly over to it, Markis pushed open the door and looked around. The room was relatively small, with wraps of fabric stacked up everywhere. In one corner, there was a table, where a woman sat sewing speedily.

"Excuse me miss," Markis began, "I'd like to place an order."

"Alrighty. What would you like?" She asked cheerfully, still sewing.

"I'd like a simple white dress. Very simple, and easy to make, but still pretty." Markis began, "And I'd like it to be done today or tomorrow, if you can."

"And what might you have to spend on it? For it does matter what I do to it." She stopped sewing and started looking through the mounds of fabric.

Markis counted through Hammond's money and told her how much, "But," he added, "I would prefer not to use all of it."

"That's fine, lad." The seamstress pulled a white fabric out from one of the mounds. "Here we go. I should have it ready day after tomorrow. Lace or no?"

"Will it cost extra?" Markis asked, "And could you have it ready in the morning?"

"It might cost a little. Tomorrow morning?" She turned to face Markis. "How tall and wide is the lady?"

"Ah," Markis hesitated and thought, "About maybe 5, 6 feet?" he gestured with his hand, "and skinny." He told, "How much would one band of lace around the waist be?"

"One band around the waist should be about two coins. Do you want a train?" She asked, starting to cut the fabric out.

Markis thought for a moment, "No train. And let's say one band of lace around the waist."

"Sleeves or no sleeves?" She pulled out a roll of lace and set that out on her table.

"Sleeves that go over the shoulders, but flowing down and uneven." Markis said after a moment's thought. 'Sheesh, I'm becoming a fashion guy.' He grumbled to himself, "Is that all the questions?" He asked hopefully.

"I think that's it." She said. "Wait! I forgot. Do you want shoes?"

"No." Markis said definitely, to himself he added, "I don't want to deal with the three thousand options of shoes." To the seamstress he said, "I'll be back day after tomorrow to pick up the dress. Goodbye." He turned and walked out of the shop.

"Good grief." He sighed, "I am glad to be out of there." Markis strolled around the streets until he found a place selling fruit. "Hullo." Markis greeted the store owner.

The owner looked up, "Aye, what brings you here to my shop?"

"I'd like to buy some fruit. How much for each one?" Markis asked.

"Well we don't have much of a selection left...seeing as it's almost winter, but I've got a couple apples and pears left. You can by'em for a small price." The shop keeper hoisted up a crate of the fruit. He riffled through the box and pulled out some apples and pears.

"How much can I get for this much?" Markis piled half of Nikandros' coins on the table.

The man squinted, "How about two apples and a pear?"

"What? You said it would be cheap!" Markis exclaimed.

"My fruit is in high demand. That is cheap for this late in the season!" The man argued.

Markis thought quickly, "Well, I guess I can take my business else where." He shrugged and turned to walk out the door.

"Wait! Now hold on a minute...perhaps I can cut you a deal."

Markis turned, "What sort of deal?" He asked.

"What about two pears and two apples?"

"I'm looking for more." Markis said stubbornly.

"Well, what if I throw in one more apple?" The man offered reluctantly.

"And two more pears."

"What? No!" The man argued.

"Alright. I'll go somewhere else." Markis turned around to leave again.

"Fine!" The shopkeeper sighed, "Here." He handed over the fruit and took the coins from the table.

"So that's four pears and three apples." Markis nodded and took the fruit, "Now," he said slowly, "I would like three pears and four apples for this amount of money." Markis left a few of Nikandros' coins in his pocket and drew the rest out, displaying them in his hand.

The shopkeeper shook his head, "Yur already rippin' me off, Laddie. I gotta make a living, ya know."

"Alright, then." Markus turned and started walking out the door.

"Lad..." The shop keeper whined, "cut me some slack here."

Markis thought for a moment, "I'll make a deal." He said finally, taking one coin and putting it in his pocket, he said, "Three pears and three apples for this." He displayed the rest of the coins on his open palm.

"Fine. Take them!" The man thrust more fruit at Markis and grabbed the coins, putting them in a pouch that laid over his rotund belly.

Markis nodded, "Thank you." He bowed, turned and left the shop. Once he was outside, he sighed in relief, "Glad to be out of there." He muttered to himself.

Briskly, he started to walk towards the edge of the town, making sure to enter the forest in a differant place than the camp was located.

Hello lovelies!
I hope you are all having a wonderful week! Please vote, comment, or follow if you liked it^_^ It is greatly appreciated!

Writers:
Sameil: Ithildae
Hammond: Ithildae
Markis: Evara
Shopkeeper: Ithildae
Seamstress: Aris
Nikandros: Evara
Thea: Ithildae

Thank you for reading!

Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 772 25
This story takes place during The Hobbit, and is about an elf that lives in Mirkwood. Her name is Ithildae. When she was very young, her parents pass...
179K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
75.7K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...