Blank Girl - (Book One)

By AllyseMohr

Cassandra Black or "Creepy Cassie" is her school's resident weird kid. She has a secret that she doesn't kee... More

Chapter 1 - Creepy Cassie and Mongrel Jack
Chapter 2 - Lost in Her Eyes
Chapter 4 - Warm Welcome
Chapter 5 - The Boy is Nuts!
Chapter 6 - Just an Animal Empath
Chapter 7 - Where is he?
Chapter 8 (Part 1) - So, I'm Psychic?
Chapter 8 (Part 2) - Narcissistic Teenagers with Super Powers
Chapter 9 - So Many Questions
Chapter 10 - Not My Competition
Chapter 11 - Gross, but Kind of Cool
Chapter 12 - That Instant
Chapter 13 - As Close as You'll Get
Chapter 14 - The Deadly Trio
Chapter 15 - Girlfriends and Sisters
Chapter 16 - I Shouldn't Say Anything...
Chapter 17 - Neutral Acquaintances
Chapter 18 - We're Going To Find Jane
Update!

Chapter 3 - Stairs Are Your Kryptonite

802 51 33
By AllyseMohr

Cassie

The bus ride was about two hours long. After the first ten minutes or so, Greg slumped down in his seat. I think he must've been sick of the attention he kept getting, but it was a poor defence. Every few minutes, he was asked about some aspect of his life.

Where was he from? "Little town in California called Blackburn Bay."

What's his family like? "Mom and dad, both doctors. Nothing special."

Does he play sports? "Yes."

Does he have a girlfriend? "I've never really done the dating thing."

After that last one, he said he hadn't gotten much sleep last night and just wanted to chill. Moments later, I heard music so he must've put earphones in. I heard the other kids shuffling around so they seemed to have gotten the message.

I felt something small in my hand. I could feel it pulse. It was mostly smooth, with a cord. Oh! It must be one of his ear buds. He wants to listen to music with me?

I tried not to blush, but felt the heat rise to my cheeks as I slipped the ear bud in. It wasn't too loud, thank goodness. I have very sensitive hearing. I didn't really like the song though. It was one of those boring, super slow, love songs, but I didn't say anything. Honestly, it was nice to just share an experience with someone who was non-canine.

A moment later, he switched it. It was more upbeat, but darker at the same time. Something about a girl who can't cope with reality, so she goes out partying. I don't know who it is, but I loved it almost instantly.

But I'm holding on for dear life,

Won't look down won't open my eyes

Keep my glass full until morning light,

'Cos I'm just holding on for tonight

I never really listen to music anymore. Usually it hurts too much. All the memories of blasting the radio in my room, dancing like an idiot with Lauren and Megan. We were like the Three Musketeers back then. Now, Ashley Myers, resident party princess, has filled that role.

Know what I miss most about music? Dancing to it. I tried to dance about a month after it happened. I ended up face-planting into the mirrored wall. I dropped out of the studio completely after that and haven't tried since.

For now though, I decided to just enjoy it. I knew Jack would keep an eye out. He'd already expressed his disapproval at sitting next to Greg and had left it at that. Jack seemed to think there was something 'not quite right' about him, but I think it's his protective instinct kicking in.

So we just listened to music. Every time I didn't like something, he would switch the song. It was uncanny. Maybe we both had the exact same taste?

I eventually felt the bus slow and there was more movement than usual. We must be there already.

Welcome to Banks Falls, named after David Banks' great-great (etc etc) grandfather who "discovered" a waterfall back in the very early 1800's. The family built a homestead, panned for gold, and struck it rich. They moved off the mountain and settled in the town in the valley. They spent the next two hundred years buying up as much property in the county as they could and voila, now David's father is Mayor Banks (and has run unopposed for over 10 years).

When David was in his freshman year, they built up the old homestead into a mountain resort/spa retreat and every summer the high school kids all get three weeks in the mountains mostly cost free. The school still pays for the bus and food, but it's run by parents and volunteers. And we're expected to keep the place clean ourselves. Not a bad trade off really.

Plus it's the only time I can get away from all the noise in town. It's quiet up here. Once in a while, someone will find me and pull some stupid prank. Like last year when they put superglue on the tree stump that I liked to sit on. I ended up having to walk back to my cabin without my pants. I heard that there was video of it, but not like I could check... Anyways, it's silent up here most of the time and that's far better than car engines and televisions.

There aren't quite enough cabins for everyone, so usually, they have 4 kids in each one. Thankfully, since I'm "handicapped" they give me a cabin to myself. It's wheelchair accessible because, apparently, blind people are no good with stairs.

Actually, I really shouldn't say anything, I tripped on that bus step just a few hours ago...

Regardless, I'm just glad I don't have to be roomies with anyone except Jack.

"Jack, it's time to go." I scratch just above his nose to wake him up. Usually he can't decide if he loves or hates it. I feel him stretch and he moves off of me. I go to stand up, but my leg is asleep. Maybe he needs to go on a diet.

"You okay Cassie?" Greg asks and I can hear the concern in his voice.

"My leg is just asleep, it'll be gone in a minute. You can go ahead without me." I smile in his general direction.

"Oh, here, let me."

Let him what? But the question is quickly answered when I feel his hand massaging my thigh. The numbness turns to pins and needles but I can't even focus on the highly uncomfortable sensation because he's touching me.

Like actually touching me.

Not hitting me or spitting on me. Not tripping me or knocking my books out of my hands. His touch is firm, but gentle. I feel an electric sort of sensation that begins to override the numbness. Pins and needles turn to a warmth that spreads down my entire leg. My brain is going a mile a minute and the only thing I can agree on with myself is that I really like his touch.

I can sense Jack getting upset and realise that I haven't breathed since he first placed his hand on me. Jack growls and suddenly Greg's hand is gone and the unique sensation quickly fades. I know I'm beet red but I'm hoping he doesn't say anything.

"My mom says I have issues with personal space. I probably shouldn't have done that." He's closer to me than before and I can hear the smile in his voice. There's also something else that I can't quite place. It's like he's apologising, but not really.

"It's, um, it's fine. My leg is all better now." Did my voice just crack? I stand quickly and reach down to get my duffle.

"I've got it." What is that edge in his voice? It's like he's achieved some great victory or something, but doesn't want anyone to know.

Has he been flirting with me?

I haven't flirted with anyone since my fourteenth birthday party when David Banks kissed me. He said it was for my present and then he confessed that he'd liked me ever since the talent show where I'd danced that contemporary piece that I had choreographed myself. He said I looked like an angel. I was the happiest girl in the world for that brief moment because my crush had kissed me. A few hours later my world crumbled in on itself.

"Oh thanks."

"He should wipe that smirk off his face, or I can do it for him." Jack said to me. I want to respond back and tell Jack to mind his own business... but that would be far too weird, right? I mean, talking to Jack, like I would talk to a regular person, is one of the reasons they call me Creepy Cassie (okay, so it's the main reason), so I decide to keep my mouth shut. "Oh I get it. Some boy comes and gives you attention and suddenly you can't talk to me. By the way, don't slip on the water bottle. It's three steps forward on your left."

I count the three steps and bend over to pick it up. I mutter. "I really wish people wouldn't litter."

Oops...

Even as I was picking that bottle up I knew I'd made a mistake. Blind people aren't supposed to just magically know where things are.

"How did you-?"

"It's kinda like my super power. Is like the way less cool version of Daredevil's echolocation. I heard it drop earlier that's all." I laughed it off. Can he hear my nervousness? If people start taking it seriously that I can talk to and understand Jack, I'll end up in the nuthouse. That sort of this doesn't happen in real life, I don't understand it myself.

"Smooth" Jack sighed.

I glared at him. Okay, so it was an approximation of a glare in his general direction, but I'm sure he understood what I was going for.

"So you like comic books?" Greg asked, tentatively.

I nodded.

"So what, does your boyfriend read them to you?"

"No, I buy the audio recordings." Jack gave me more directions as I got off the bus. But when Greg's question finally sunk in, I managed to trip again going down the steps. "Wait, what?"

But there was no hard landing, no bruised bones (or egos). Greg caught me before I face planted. He set me down but his hand lingered on my waist.

"It's pretty amazing that you do all kinds of things without one of those white sticks, but stairs are your kryptonite." He paused and then continued one cheekily. "And I was asking about your boyfriend. I want to check out my competition."

"Um, no, no I don't have- I mean there's no one like that."

-

Author's Note -

Getting to know Cassie a little better and understand both the joy and struggles that she's faced.

Anyone read comics? If so, what's your favorite character? Mine is Harley Quinn and John Stewart (a Green Lantern) as second.

Vote, Comment and Share! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.5M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
9.9M 501K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
94.9K 2.9K 30
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...