Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Twenty-Two

69 10 12
By Ithildaeforever

Early the next morning, Sameil was on patrol, guarding the camp. He decided to go check on Thea.

Approaching, he scrunched up his eyebrows, not quite believing what he was seeing. Upon coming nearer, Sameil realized he wasn't just seeing things. "My lady..." He said quietly and uncertainly.

Thea didn't stir.

Nikandros woke up feeling refreshed. He looked over to see where Thea was and saw Semeil next to her. Scowling inwardly, he spoke, "What are you doing?" He raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Look." Sameil gestured to Thea's shoulder where more red stained through her ruined tunic.

Nikandros immediately took action and rushed over to Thea's side, placing her head in his lap, "Get water and more bandages." He instructed, the worry showing evidently in his voice.

Sameil nodded, momentarily forgetting his dislike for Nikandros. He hurried off and returned quickly with the requested items.

Thea stayed still in her sleep as sweat dripped down her forehead.

As soon as Sameil came back with water and rags, Nikandros set to work and placed some cool rags on her forehead. Next, he turned to examine her wound. "Is there a knife I can use?" He asked Sameil, who was nearby.

"A knife? What for?" Sameil's eyes widened.

"I need to see the wound." Nikandros explained quickly.

"Oh...ya. Here." Sameil handed over a hunting knife he kept hidden on his person.

Nikandros nodded, "Thanks." Quickly, he cut away at Thea's tunic just enough so he could examine the bloody wound. Grabbing a rag and dunking it in water, Nikandros began to clean it. It seeped blood and was reeking with infection.

Sameil almost gagged, "That's not good, Mate...doesn't look good at all."

"Do you have any ointment? It would really help." Nikandros continued cleaning the wound, gently dabbing and wiping the blood and infection away.

Sameil shook his head, "Sorry, no. I gave you all we have left."

Nikandros frowned, "Should have saved it. I didn't need it." He leaned back on his knees and examined the wound. It was still bleeding, and Nikandros took another wet rag and tied it tightly around the wound. "We'll have to check it every few hours to make sure it doesn't get infected." He placed the back of his hand on Thea's hot forehead, "Come on, Thea." He whispered, "Wake up."

She slightly stirred with a quiet groan, but didn't open her eyes.

Sameil watched closely, seemingly thoughtful, "You really care for her, don't you?"

Nikandros nodded slightly, but said nothing.

Sameil sighed, "You know that she cares for you too, right?"

"What?" Nikandros glanced over at Sameil, a little confused.

"Are you really that daft?"

Nikandros sighed and ran his hand through his hair, "I don't know."

"Ppfftt..." Sameil laughed, "are you serious? She has feelings for you, man. Trust me."

Nikandros looked down and closed his eyes.

"Take my advice, don't wait. You can't let her slip through your fingers. I barely know her, but she seems like an awesome person..."

"She is." Nikandros agreed, "We grew up together. I just don't want to press it, you know what I mean? If I told her how I feel, and she doesn't feel the same way, it would totally ruin our friendship. Totally ruin it." Nikandros repeated.

"I guess so...I don't really know much about women." Sameil scratched his chin and walked away, "I gotta go. If you wouldn't mind keeping me posted on how she is."

Nikandros nodded, "I will."

Thea's fingers twitched. She slowly opened her eyes and smiled, "Hey..." She croaked. "What's going on?"

"You are sick and are not moving a muscle until your better." Nikandros smiled down at her, "Your shoulder wound was infected." He explained.

She moved to sit up, completely ignoring him, "What? That can't be..." She looked down at her bare shoulder and gasped.

Nikandros gently shoved Thea back down. "I had to clean the wound." He explained.

She gaped, "I...oh...it really is infected." She grimaced, "Gross."

"Yah. I'm sorry about your tunic. I can sew it up if you want." Nikandros offered.

She laughed softly, "Nik, my tunic is beyond saving. Don't bother."

"Sorry."

She lightly slapped his chest, "Don't apologize. It's fine."

Ulric walked briskly around the camp, lost in thought, 'What do I do?' His brows furrowed. Looking around, he noticed the assassins.

Nikandros was looking around when he spotted Ulric. "What is Ulric doing here?" He asked Thea.

"Oh, he was caught by the men and Hammond said he could stay. Apparently something went wrong with his father. Probably because he helped us..." Thea explained. She coughed once into her hand and her eyes widened. She quickly put her hand down, acting causally.

Nikandros noticed the movement, and immediately got concerned. "Thea, show me your hand."

"It's nothing." She assured, acting pleasant.

"No, it's not. Thea, please show me."

Thea sighed and turned her hand, palm up to face Nikandros. It was slick with blood.

"Thea!" Nikandros exclaimed, "What..." He stood up, "Sameil!" He called out, "Please come here."

Sameil hurried over, thankfully hearing Nikandros' yell. "What?" He asked, his face filled with alarm.

"Look at her hand! She just coughed!" Nikandros exclaimed.

"Calm down." Thea soothed, "I'm just a little weak. I'll be fine with some rest." She assured.

Sameil frowned, "What tha...?"

"She is coughing blood! That is not okay." Nikandros insisted, "Do you know what coughing up blood would mean?" He asked.

"I'm no doctor. Let me go get Hammond. He might have a better idea." Sameil ran to find their leader.

"Nik, I'm sure it's nothing. Don't-" Thea's sentence was cut off by another cough.

Nikandros grabbed a rag and handed it to Thea, "Cough into this if you need."

She grabbed it thankfully and continued coughing. Little red spots splattered over the cloth.

Hammond followed Sameil over, "What seems to be the trouble?" He asked.

"She's coughing up blood. I don't know what the matter is." Nikandros rubbed his forehead absently and stood up, facing Hammond.

Hammond scratched his head, searching for an answer, "Hmm...my guess is she could have internal bleeding somewhere in her lungs..."

Thea got her coughing fit under control, "W-what?" She asked in disbelief.

"What do we do?" Nikandros asked, worried for Thea.

"Well I don't want to put a damper on things, but I don't know of any cure for that, Lad..." Hammond said quietly.

Thea looked down at her hands. "How serious is it?" Nikandros asked quietly, tears beginning to form.

"I...um..."

"Well? Speak up!" Nikandros practically yelled.

Hammond sighed, "It's usually fatal."

Nikandros sank to his knees, "No." He whispered to no one in particular.

Hammond placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry, Lad..."

Nikandros closed his eyes and let the tears come and fall. He remembered Sameil's words, and decided it was time. He stood up and turned to Thea. Taking a shaky breath, he began, "Thea, I know that this is late in coming." He started slowly, "But, I guess better late then never." Nikandros swallowed hard past the lump in his throat, "Thea, I love you. I always have. I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Nikandros got down on one knee, "I know I don't have much time, but Thea, will you marry me?" He gazed deep into the eyes of the girl he knew he loved.

Thea's eyes became wide in surprise. "I..." She smiled suddenly and covered her mouth with her hand. A choked sob escaped her lips, "Oh, Nik...I don't know what to say. I thought you didn't care for me that way...I love you too." She sniffled and a single tear slid down her cheek.

Sameil and Hammond snuck away during the exchange to give them privacy, slightly smirking to each other.

"I love you." Nikandros whispered and placed his hand on her cheek. He leaned forward, wrapped his arms around her and kissed her. When they separated he kept close to her and whispered, "I've waited a long time to do that." And kissed her again.

Tears streamed down Thea's cheeks as they kissed. She finally pulled away, grinning wildly, "I just realized, I didn't give you an answer yet." She smirked mischievously, "So...my answer is yes. Yes, Nik I will marry you and spend the rest of my life with you." She gently rubbed the side of his head.

Nikandros reached and pulled a cold metal ring out of his pocket that he had made a long time ago for his future wife. He pulled away slightly just to slide the ring onto Thea's finger, and gazed deep into her deep hazel eyes. Nikandros smiled, "Wanna get married now, or maybe tomorrow?" He asked, still grinning.

Thea laughed, "Nik, who would marry us? I mean..." Thea blinked, suddenly distracted. Still sitting, she swallowed and swayed slightly. Just then, Thea coughed fiercely and gripped her stomach in pain.

Nikandros frowned, brought back to reality by his fiancée's pain. "The day after tomorrow." He said softly to Thea, "Ulric can marry us."

Thea nodded slowly, "Okay..." She said between gasps for breath. "I...th-think I need to rest."

Nikandros nodded. Glancing around, he spotted the blanket Thea had used for him. Now, he retrieved it and laid it down next to her.

"You can lay down here." He said softly and helped Thea over to the blanket. Thea let him lead her over and willingly laid down. She instantly closed her eyes and dozed off.

Woah woah woah!!!! Lots of stuff going on in this chapter!!! Lots of feels. You're welcome! Heehee^_^

So please vote, comment, or follow! Thanks all!!!!

Ithildae, Evara, Aris

Writers:
Thea ~ Ithildae
Nikandros ~ Evara
Ulric ~ Evara
Hammond ~ Ithildae
Sameil ~ Ithildae
Random Men ~ Evara and Ithildae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 772 25
This story takes place during The Hobbit, and is about an elf that lives in Mirkwood. Her name is Ithildae. When she was very young, her parents pass...
365K 9.8K 60
Amarië has been traveling for a long time searching for the right place to settle down. During her journey she meets new friends and faces some dange...
283K 11.4K 36
Storm Of Arrows ➝ Lord of the Rings [Legolas] ✓ 2014 Hunting Spiders in the forest of Mirkwood, Legolas, Prince of the Woodland Realm, comes across...
478K 25.8K 52
[A Wattpad FEATURED story!] She's been King Thranduil's close friend for a long time. But when a shocking rumor about his past comes to light, it sha...