Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Twenty-One

70 9 14
By Ithildaeforever

After the man put her down and left, she scooted over to Nikandros. "Don't be a grump." She teased with a sloppy smile.

Nikandros stood abruptly and walked off into the woods. Thea looked down at her hands, admitting defeat.

Not a minute later, one of Hammond's men walked into the camp, his sword to the neck of a young man.

Thea looked up and gasped, recognizing the person's identity. It was the prince of Gondor, Ulric.

Ulric's eyes widened for a split second at seeing the assassin before his expression hardened and he looked straight ahead.

Hammond walked over, curious, "What's going on?"

The man pushed Ulric closer, "Found this one snooping near the camp, Sir. He won't say anything." He answered.

"Hmm...who are you, stranger?" Hammond questioned Ulric.

Ulric thought quickly, "I am called Halas." He lied, fearing if he told them who he really was they would ransom him. Ulric's outward appearance gave away nothing that he was lying.

Hammond seemed to except this, "Why were you snooping near our camp?"

"I didn't mean to snoop, sir." Ulric said quickly.

"Oh really..." Suddenly, Hammond pointed at Thea, "Do you know her?"

Ulric pretended to think for a moment, "I'm not sure. I don't think so." He hoped that the assassin did not recognize him, although the prince's features were not ones that could be easily fogotten.

Thea frowned at Ulric. She limped over, keeping her jaw clenched to avoid crying out. "Hammond..."

Ulric struggled inwardly not to shift his weight or do anything that would make him look conspicuous.

"I would like to introduce you to the prince." She announced.

Ulric flashed an angry glance at Thea, but then straightened. He shrugged inwardly, 'Might as well look the part.'

"Ahh! I thought I knew you!" Hammond grinned, "Why didn't you say so in the first place, your Majesty?" He chuckled softly.

Ulric let a small smile show through, "Ah, well..." He trailed off awkwardly, "I wasn't exactly sure who you were..."

"Well we're not well known," Hammond waved his hand around, gesturing around the camp, "but I would like to introduce you to the Gondorian Rebels."

"Rebels?" Ulric asked, before he could stop himself.

"So you haven't heard..." Hammond mused, "Well, we are the group that banded together for one purpose. To kill your father. I don't know if you've noticed, Prince, but many of the people are starving."

"What?" Ulric gaped.

"Well no disrespect, but the king is pretty bad at his job..."

"None taken. I agree." Ulric said. Then, he half regretted saying it, and felt he should have been more reserved.

"Sir, if you don't mind me asking," Hammond changed the subject, "why are you out here by yourself?"

Ulric allowed himself a grim smile, "I am not exactly on the best terms with the king."

"Well, it's none of my business so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, you are certainly welcome to stay with us, but if you leave we have to make sure you won't tell anyone about us or where we are." Hammond pointed out.

Sameil walked over to the group, his mask now removed. He had a quite youthful face, but it reflected several manly qualities. He smiled at Thea, "You should probably rest, my Lady. Why don't I help you over to where you can sit?"

After Nikandros had left Thea, he had gone into the forest. When he was a decent distance away from the camp, he sat down and leaned his head against a tree, closing his eyes. He pondered recent events.

After sitting quietly for awhile and meditating, he stood up and headed back to the camp. He located Thea and headed over to where she was. He frowned as he saw Sameil next to her, but recovered himself and kept walking. When he was close enough to talk he asked, "Are you feeling better, Thea?" He forced himself to smile, but it was not entirely sincere, and Thea could sense something was bothering him.

Thea looked up at him, "Oh...yes." She smiled, "Thank you." The young assassin turned back to Sameil, "Could you give us a moment?"

Sameil huffed quietly so Thea didn't hear, "Sure."

When they were alone, Thea tapped the ground beside her, ushering Nikandros down, "What's going on?" She asked genuinely concerned.

"Nothing." Nikandros smiled at Thea, concealing the jealously he was feeling, "I was just tired that's all."

"You forget, I can read you like a book, Nik." She smirked.

Nikandros looked over at her, "I really am fine." He insisted, "All that's happened in the last few days has just caught up with me, that's all." He sighed, as if to affirm his point, and ran his hands through his hair absently.

"I know something is on your mind." She pressed.

"Thea, I'm fine!" He exclaimed.

Okay then..." Thea decided to stop pressing. She looked down at her thigh, realizing that a piece of the arrow was still sticking out of it. She swallowed.

Sameil noticed and walked over, not caring if they were done talking. He kneeled down in front of her, "May I?"

Nikandros tensed, but said nothing.

Thea shrugged, trying to seem like she didn't care, "Sure."

Sameil gripped her thigh with one hand and with a swift pull, yanked the arrow out.

Thea tried to prepare herself for the pain so as not to cry out, but failed miserably. A pitiful cry escaped from her lips and she leaned back against a tree, in pain.

Nikandros stood up, "I'll get water and bandages." He told Thea, and ran swiftly to get them. In a few minutes he was back carrying a pail of water and clean bandages.

"I'm not too weak to do this." He said, trying to make light of it. Nikandros lightly shoved Sameil aside and began cleaning Thea's wound.

Sameil glared at the back of Nikandros head. "You should really rest." He said, lightly pushing back.

Thea groaned loudly, "Good grief, you two!"

Nikandros refused to give in, "I'm not totally cripple and dumb and deaf and stupid. I can take care of my own friend." He swallowed and continued cleaning the wound.

Thea sighed, "Thanks, Sameil, for helping, but I think he's got it." She smiled gently.

Sameil sent another glare Nikandros' way before smiling and winking to Thea.

"Nikandros, what has gotten into you?" Thea demanded when Sameil was out of earshot.

Nikandros shook his head, "I'll call him back if you want, and he can do this, because apparently I'm too weak and crippled to do anything anymore." He concentrated hard on cleaning the wound.

"Nik," She scolded, "you know that isn't true! Why are you acting this way?" Nikandros tied the bandage around Thea's leg and ignored the question. Thea cleared her throat and pulled Nikandros' hands into her own, "Well?" She prompted, forcing him to look her in the eyes.

Nikandros shook his head and lowered his eyes. "I'm just tired of being useless." It was part of the truth, but wasn't all.

"You are not useless! You have been so much help to me and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you!" She smiled sweetly, shining through her grime covered face.

"No." Nikandros said bitterly, "That's not true."

Thea let go of his hands and carefully caressed his face. Gently, she pulled him lower and planted a quick yet meaningful kiss on his dirt covered forehead. "You are lying, Nik. I am here because of you. No matter what you say or think, you kept me going."

Nikandros sighed, and didn't say anything.

"Now, take off your shirt and lay on your stomach so I can look at your wounds." She ordered.

"Thea, I'm fine." Nikandros protested.

"Sure you are. Now lay down."

Grumbling the whole while, Nikandros complied. Beginning to peel off his shirt, he soon realized that it was glued on with dried blood. Gritting his teeth. He continued to pull the shirt off.

"Stop! No, let me do it." Thea offered.

"Alright." Nikandros reluctantly complied.

With careful fingers, Thea detached the shirt from his back. She finished pulling it over his arms and flung it on the ground. "Hang on." She instructed. "Sameil!" She called.

He smiled and hurried over like a little obedient puppy. "Yes, my Lady?"

"Could you bring me a blanket, please?"

"Sure."

He came back moments later and handed it to her, sending Nikandros a smirk. "Anything else?"

Thea shook her head, her attention already back on Nikandros. She spread the blanket on the ground, "Lie down on your stomach, Nik."

Nikandros took a deep breath, and struggled not to scream in frustration. He obeyed Thea and turned over, trying not to hurt his ribs.

After his back was cleaned as best as Thea could do, she commanded him to rest and not move. "If I see you move, I will not be happy." She raised an eyebrow.

"Alright." Nikandros said meekly.

"Good boy." She grinned.

Nikandros grinned back at her, and for the moment, Sameil was forgotten from his mind.

There you go, GadSul ! This chapter contained the answer to your question and I hope you are satisfied! Also, keep in mind that this story took place way before The Hobbit.

Everyone else, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please spread the love!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Thea ~ Ithildae
Nikandros ~ Evara
Ulric ~ Evara
Hammond ~ Ithildae
Sameil ~ Ithildae
Random Men ~ Evara and Ithildae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.9K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...
164K 7.3K 27
It has been over seven decades since Arya left everything she knew behind. Friends, foes, Legolas. Now, an old enemy is threatening Middle Earth, and...
283K 11.4K 36
Storm Of Arrows ➝ Lord of the Rings [Legolas] ✓ 2014 Hunting Spiders in the forest of Mirkwood, Legolas, Prince of the Woodland Realm, comes across...
180K 8.8K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...