A Duke and A Damsel

De achat1992

Blake Carstairs isn't too thrilled to inherit the title of Duke of Devonshire from a distant uncle. Still, he... Mai multe

A Duke and A Damsel--Introduction
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 1
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 2
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 3
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 4
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 5
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 6
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 7
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 8
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 9
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 10
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 11
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 12
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 13
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 14
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 15
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 16
A Duke And A Damsel--Chapter 17
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 18
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 19
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 20
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 21
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 22
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 23
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 24
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 25
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 26
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 27
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 28
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 29
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 30
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 32
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 33
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 34
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 35
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 36
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 37
A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 38

A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 31

17.6K 511 62
De achat1992

I'm soooo sorry it took me this long, but here's the next chapter! I actually had this done a while ago, but I thought it was abrupt, so I've attempted to make it better. I'm not sure I was successful, but happy reading!!

Also, I just wanted to say that “Dreaming of Darcy” is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer. 

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!! 

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 31

-----

Blake saw a carriage outside the Sheridan residence and looked pleadingly at Arjun. Arjun shook his head and kept walking towards the front door.

“But clearly she has company...and I think that belongs to Lady Weston.”

“Even better,” Arjun replied with no hesitation.

Blake shot him a questioning look.

“How is that better?”

“You can profess your undying love and devotion to Emma in front of her and whoever else she's brought with her. All the society matrons will be twittering about it by lunchtime, and any scandal that might have occurred will thus be prevented.”

“You're joking, right?” Blake asked him.

Arjun glared at him.

“Do I sound like I'm joking?”

Blake sighed and said, “I can never tell with you. Sometimes I think I wish you were joking and just interpret it that way. Like right now, for example...”

“Sorry, mate, no chance you're getting out of this. Now stop babbling and knock on the door. It's time for you to try out those acting skills you acquired from that class we took in school. Although I don't think you'll need to tap into those skills very much,” Arjun replied slyly.

This time Blake glared at him.

“You are so irritating. I don't even know why I'm friends with you,” Blake said, hoping to bait Arjun into an argument to buy him a few more minutes.

“Because no one else would play with the stuck up English boy in the humongous house at the end of the road,” Arjun retorted.

Blake's frown deepened.

“I'm not stuck up.”

“You're not now, but you were back then. Thank goodness you met me, or else you would have been terribly insufferable forever. It would have been a shame really.”

“Excuse me, but I have done quite a lot for this friendship,” Blake replied, affronted.

“Of course you have. Now stop stalling. I'm perfectly aware that you were picking a fight just to buy yourself some time. I was merely humoring you, duffer. Get that unattractive expression off your face now and knock or ring the doorbell, please. I don't have all day.”

Blake rolled his eyes, knowing there was nothing else he could do to try and change Arjun's mind.

“Ugh. Let's just get this over with.”

-----

Emma had been lying in her bed holding the paper for over two hours now, and she still hadn't come up with a single convincing way to inform her parents of her decision. She knew she should probably get dressed and go downstairs to greet any callers that might come with her mother, but she couldn't muster the energy or resolve to face anyone just yet. Plus, she figured that her mother would send for her if absolutely necessary. 

Her mother was aware how much she hated engaging in small talk with members of the ton. Since she preferred to discuss more than just the latest fashion in hats or shoes, people always looked at her as if she'd sprouted horns on her head, especially when she made it clear that she was aware of current events in politics or was fairly knowledgeable in history and culture. She just didn't understand why. 

In her opinion, it was just as important for women to be aware of the world around them as it was for men. After all, some day women would be doing more than entertaining or taking care of household duties. At least, she hoped they would.

She heard a knock on her door, bringing her out of her reverie.

“Come in,” she called it. “Oh! Good morning, Alfred,” she said, hurriedly trying to make herself look presentable.

Alfred cleared his throat before saying, “Good morning, Miss Sheridan. Your mother would like you to come down to the sitting room to meet with the callers.”

“Yes, of course. Who is calling this morning?”

“Lady Christie and Lady Weston, Miss.”

“Thank you, Alfred,” she replied, trying very hard not to stamp her foot in frustration. 

It was just her luck that those two women would show up the morning after such a debacle. Though both of them were nice enough on their own, together they were the most gossipy duo in the ton.

Alfred hesitated at the door.

“Is there something else I can do for you, Alfred?”

“Well, no, um, Miss, if I may be as bold as to speak slightly out of turn...” he trailed off.

“Yes?” Emma asked, looking up at him questioningly.

Alfred never spoke out of turn. He was nothing like that horrid Spencer that Blake employed. In fact, Alfred took pride in being one of the most respectable butlers in London.

“They seem to think that you're engaged to Lord Devonshire instead of Captain Sharpe and that there has been talk of you and the duke being first cousins. Your mother seems to want some kind of explanation while they are here. She says that you'll be able to clear up this misunderstanding.”

Emma bit her lip, not quite sure what to say.

“Does she seem...angry?” she asked hesitantly.

Alfred looked uncomfortable, probably because he had already said what he considered to be too much.

“I'm not sure, Miss.”

Emma sighed and then said, “Thank you, Alfred. I appreciate you illuminating me on what to expect downstairs. I assure you that you have not spoken out of turn at all. You're part of the family, after all.”

That cleared his expression a little bit, but then he looked slightly uncomfortable again.

“Of course. Um, one more thing, Miss.”

“Yes?”

“You wouldn't happen to know what happened to today's paper would you?” he asked, looking pointedly at her hand.

Emma blushed and handed it over to him.

“Sorry, Alfred. I hope you didn't get into too much trouble for that.”

Alfred hid a small smile, and said, “Not at all, Miss. I will just tell your mother that the paper arrived while the guests were calling.”

Emma shot him a grateful look as he shut the door and hurriedly got up to get dressed. She needed to come up with one hell of an explanation by the time she reached downstairs or she was dead meat.

She delayed going down to the sitting room as long as possible, but after nearly fifteen minutes and Alfred knocking on the door three more times, she could no longer find any reason to stall. She heard the doorbell ring again right as she approached the sitting room and refrained from heaving a huge sigh of despair.

Great, she thought to herself, more people to explain myself to.

“Good morning, Alfred,” she heard an all too familiar voice say from the doorway. “Are Mrs. Sheridan and Miss Sheridan still receiving callers this morning?”

“Yes, of course, Lord Devonshire, Mr. Sen. Please follow me.”

Emma hurried under the alcove underneath the stairs to avoid being seen. She wasn't sure whether to be appalled that Blake and Arjun were here or relieved. Maybe she could use their presence to her advantage.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

23.4K 1.6K 39
Princess Gwendolyn of Losington was tired of being a Princess. She hated the rules, the clothes and expectations from her parents. Being the youngest...
378 47 15
Daniel has not seen Maddie in ten years. The last time he saw her he pushed her into a mud puddle and then stormed off. What could he say? The girl r...
3.3K 83 12
Since a car accident as a child, Emma Mancini is bound to a wheelchair. In a society that values its women for their beauty, she's seen as damaged an...
2.7K 105 20
Lilith Blackwood survived nearly being killed by her abusive husband Christian. She woke up 3 days later in a hospital and found out she lost her u...