A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 10

So I am trying to plan ahead, even though this story isn't finished yet :P And I was wondering if you all would like to read a separate romance about Arjun. If not, I'll maybe try to give him some happy ending in this one. What about Spencer? Tell me your thoughts please!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer. For those of you who read for the historical aspect, this might be the place for you to stop because this is where the emphasis on fiction comes in, and there will be A LOT of historical discrepancies. I am sorry.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 10

-----

There was a curt knock on the door of the drawing room, before Spencer walked in.

“If you don't mind my saying so,” he began, “that horrible woman from the other day has come to call. And unchaperoned, again, may I add. It would be my pleasure to tell her that you are not in or cannot currently meet her and send her on her way.”

Blake looked at him, an incredulous look upon his face, before saying, “Why is she here? I don't feel particularly up to a verbal sparring match right now. Tell her I've gone out, Spencer.”

“No!” Arjun cut in before Spencer could walk away. “I invited her here. Please, Spencer, just tell her to wait a few moments in the foyer, or take her to the other sitting room, while I have a word with Blake.”

As soon as Spencer left, looking quite disgruntled, Blake turned to Arjun.

-----

“You did what?” Blake exclaimed with great irritation.

He had just finished his breakfast and gone into the drawing room to draft some letters, when Arjun walked in nonchalantly with an expression on his face that could only mean that he was up to no good. He'd seen it way too many times over the years. However, before he could ask what Arjun was up to, Arjun had asked him about a horse race later in the day that they both had planned on attending. They had gotten into a pleasant debate about which horse to bet on when Spencer came in. Now he knew why Arjun had been so quick to change the subject.

“I invited Emma to pay a call this morning when I went to see her yesterday. I'm afraid, however, that I have to go out. I heard there is a sale going on at the book shop only for this morning, and I decided last week that it might be best if I got my books for Oxford during the sale. One of my professors, the one I will be doing research with, agreed to meet me there to help me out.”

“Now tell me why on earth you would invite Miss Sheridan over if you were planning to go out all along? We don't even like one another. It's obvious that it's you she's coming to see as she cannot tolerate my company.”

Arjun muttered something under is breath in an annoyed manner (the only two words Blake caught were “bloody difficult”) before smiling pleasantly at Blake and saying, “I'm afraid it slipped my mind. Also, it's not me she's coming to see, it's you.”