A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 30

I am so thrilled that you guys got me up to #22 on Historical Fiction with your comments and votes at one point. Thank you so so so so much!! It definitely helped with the whole writing motivation thing. I hope you like this next chapter :)

This chapter is dedicated to Giaarmentia for calling me her favorite author and so much more :) You totally deserve this after checking in on my story repeatedly when there was like no hope of me updating.

Also, I just wanted to say that “Dreaming of Darcy” is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer.   

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 30

-----

“I won't marry her,” Blake insisted firmly under his breath. “I can't marry her.”

It was probably the thousandth time he'd said it to himself in the past two and half hours since he'd returned from the masquerade ball, but he could no longer remember a single reason why he shouldn't marry Emma. However, the bigger problem was that he was starting to think of reasons why he should. It was becoming increasingly difficult to convince himself that the gentlemanly thing to do here would be to bow out of this farce of an engagement and let her marry whomever she pleased.

But he couldn't do that either. Rather, he didn't want to. Now that she was within his grasp, he would feel abominable if he let her go without a fight. After all, he loved her, and seeing her with that bastard Sebastian had been torturous enough. He had to convince her that he was right for her, that he loved her for who she was and didn't want to spend the rest of his life with anyone but her. He had to make her realize that he could make her happy in a way no one else could. He had to...

He heard the door to the library open and completely lost his train of thought. He turned around a little too fast to see who it was and felt his vision blur a bit.

“You!” he slurred accusingly. “Leave me alone. I don't want to see you or speak to you right now.”

Arjun walked in, ignoring Blake's request completely.

“Don't you think you've had a little bit too much to drink, you old chap?”

“I'm not old,” Blake said, disgruntled. “Didn't I just tell you to go away?”

“Yes, I suppose you did, but my, my, someone is testy today and taking things quite personally.”

“Why the hell are you still here? You're just making things worse.”

“I'm here because we need to talk. About Emma. Things have gotten quite messy, haven't they?”

“It's not my fault. I didn't come up with that idiotic scheme. That was your doing. At least I'm assuming it was. It doesn't take a genius to figure out you set me and Emma up and then brought those atrocious Milleboones to witness it. You knew the news would spread like wildfire.”