A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 32

So this is a slightly longer chapter (I think, it was 5 Word pages after all :P), and I hope you enjoy it!! Happy reading :) Just so you know, I was a little sleepy as I was finishing up, so there may be grammatical errors or weird sentences. Sorry about that.

Also, I just wanted to say that “Dreaming of Darcy” is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer. 

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 32

-----

Arjun plastered a smile on his face as he and Blake walked into the Sheridans' sitting room. He was actually much more nervous about his plan falling together than he'd let on. Obviously he hadn't anticipated anyone being present when he brought Blake over, though he should have accounted for it knowing how much the ton loved gossip. Now there was no telling what mess they'd just walked into. It was evident from the expression on all three ladies' faces that they had just been talking about them.

He looked around the room, gauging each person's expression, as they waited for Emma to show up. Both Lady Weston and Lady Christie kept exchanging glances, and Lady Weston had a slight gleam of anticipation in her eyes. Blake looked miserable and ready to flee the moment an opportunity presented itself. Mrs. Sheridan fidgeted uncomfortably with her hands and looked as if she would explode like a pressure cooker the moment she no longer had company.

After a few moments, the door opened, and Emma came in, her expression carefully blank.

“Good morning, everyone,” she said, “I do apologize for keeping you waiting. I awoke with quite a headache this morning. May I ring for some tea and scones?”

“I already have, Emma,” her mother said in a clipped tone. “Why don't you sit down. Lady Weston and Lady Christie have just been telling the me the most fascinating story. Maybe you could offer some clarification?”

Arjun watched as Emma made an expression indicating that she was trying not to gulp. Then she began to ramble, the nervousness evident in her voice.

“Of course, mother, though I'm not sure how I could be of any help. I rarely keep up with the gossip around the ton. Well, more like no one ever bothers to tell me. However—”

“That's enough, Emma,” her mother said sharply, cutting her off. “Please do let one of them fill you in.”

Both Lady Weston and Lady Christie looked slightly uncomfortable at the prospect of relaying their prime piece of news in front of the subjects of gossip themselves. Arjun ducked his head so no one would see him smiling. After a moment or two, he heard Lady Weston clear her throat and looked up again.

“Well, there's no point in beating around the bush, so I'm just going to get straight to the point here,” she began. “I have just seen the banns this morning, and it seems that you and Lord Devonshire here are engaged to be married.”

Arjun saw Emma adopt a perplexed expression as she pretended to misunderstand why this would be a problem.

“Yes, this is correct,” Emma said, avoiding her mother's gaze, “but I'm afraid I don't understand—”