A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 11

I know it's short, and a whole lot of conversation, which is probably a disappointment after such a long wait. I just need to set up for the upcoming chapters and felt that it was time to upload something :P.

I sent out a message about this earlier, but if any of you have a Goodreads account, feel free to message me letting me know who you are so we can be Goodreads friends!! Let me know if you have any questions as to what I am talking about too :).

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 11

-----

Emma sat in a pretty room decorated in creams and reds fiddling with her hands. Though she didn't want to admit it to herself, she was incredibly nervous about her upcoming meeting with Blake. Sighing to herself, she looked around the room wondering how long it would take before someone came to fetch her. The door opened, and Spencer walked in.

“Is Lord Devonshire ready for me?” she asked.

“No,” Spencer replied in a clipped tone, “I would have mentioned it if he was.”

“Alright, thank you.”

There were a few moments of awkward silence where Emma fiddled with her hands some more before she spoke again. She hated sitting in silence unless she was alone. Although, even then, she had the tendency to talk to herself to fill the silence.

“The weather is very nice today.”

“I wouldn't know, I have not been outside today.”

“Well, you should go. It really is very nice. The sun is out for once.”

“In case you've forgotten, I have work to do here. I am a butler, not a stable boy.”

“Oh, right. I do apologize. The begonias outside are beautiful. I've always wanted a garden as full of flowers as yours, but I have never had the opportunity. Maybe someday after I am married. Please do compliment the gardener on my behalf.”

“You can do it yourself.”

Another awkward silence descended as Emma was unsure of how to respond to such a rude butler. However, she need not have worried since Spencer himself spoke again.

“If I may be so bold as to say that it is quite improper for you to be here without a chaperone. Again. It would be best if you left. Lord Devonshire does not need any more problems in his life,” he said as he began to polish some silver.

“What problems?” she asked, curiosity getting the best of her.

“Why would I tell you?” Spencer smirked. “Tell me, do you always take such pleasure in gossiping with the help?”

“Why, you are the most impertinent butler I have ever met. Why don't you tell me, do you speak to all your guests in this manner?”

“No, of course not. Just you.”

“And pray, do tell why I get this special treatment that others don't. By the way, it is quite evident that polishing silver is not in your job description. You're going about it all wrong. The proper way to do it is to—”

Excuse me, Miss. I do not need you to tell me how to do my job. Polishing silver may not be in my job description, but I do whatever I can to be of extra help around the house. Mrs. Jennings has enough duties without worrying about having to train maids on ordinary chores such as this or doing it herself. I am quite capable of taking care of it for her.”

“Do you mean training the maids or polishing the silver? Because if it's polishing the silver, she'd probably be better off doing it herself. And if it's the training part you do...well, if you teach the maids to polish the silver the way you're going about it, she's definitely better off training them herself no matter how busy she is.”

Spencer shot her a look of disgust.

“Well, if you're so good at polishing silver, why don't you do it?”

“Oh no, it would be highly improper of me, especially since this is not my house.” Spencer snorted as soon as she said this, though she had no idea why. “I was trying to tell you how to do it earlier, but you cut me off. Though really, if Lord Devonshire had been ready for our appointment, I wouldn't be here waiting with you anyway. Although why you couldn't find something to do in another room is quite beyond me. It's obvious that you don't enjoy my company, and I can't say that I particularly enjoy yours. Anyway, the proper way—”

“I'm so sorry, I do believe that I hear Lord Devonshire calling. Please, excuse me. I'm afraid your silver polishing lessons will have to wait.”

-----

“Good morning, Miss Sheridan. I am sorry to have kept you so long,” Blake said politely, though he was feeling quite the opposite. He hadn't even been in her company—hell, she hadn't even said anything yet—and he could already feel the beginnings of a headache.

“Good morning, Lord Devonshire. I hope that I have not taken you away from something important.”

“No, not at all. I'd rather be here with you than spend time with my ledgers,” he lied. “Now, let's not waste time with formalities. From what I understand, from what Arjun tells me anyway, you are in need of a husband?”

She looked down, a blush staining her cheeks.

“Yes, Your Grace. And I hear, that you are in need of a wife?”

“Yes, I am. I suppose there is a simple solution to all of this then, without doing all these silly lessons, I mean.”

“Is there?” she asked, looking perplexed as if wondering to herself why the simple solution hadn't occurred to her first.

“Yes, of course. We could just get married.”

Blake reveled in the shocked expression that came across her face and then the indignation that followed.

“Really, Your Grace, I don't know why you would say such a thing when you know that it is utterly impossible. We would drive one another mad, it would never work out! You have your own interests, and I have mine. Your butler cannot stand me. I barely even know you! I cannot marry a man that I barely know, the idea is preposterous. Plus, you'd probably be one of those unfaithful husbands who seeks—”

Blake smirked as she cut herself off, amused that the most obvious reason their marriage wouldn't work out hadn't even crossed her mind. He couldn't even muster anger at the fact that she thought he'd be unfaithful.

“Are those your only concerns behind us not getting married then? Because those problems are easy enough to solve. I was rather thinking that it might be difficult under the circumstances, seeing as we're supposedly first cousins and all. There would be quite the scandal, unless of course you don't mind.”

Emma's jaw dropped, and her cheeks turned a bright shade of crimson.

“I think it's better that we just forget this little argument and begin our lessons. Or I could always come back another day, if you'd prefer. Actually, I just remembered, there's something rather important that I must do.”

“There's no need for you to leave so quickly, Miss Sheridan. I was merely joking. Now, if you'd be so kind, fill me in on what kind of man you are looking for.”