A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 8

There's a picture of Blake to the side.

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer. For those of you who read for the historical aspect, this might be the place for you to stop because this is where the emphasis on fiction comes in, and there will be A LOT of historical discrepancies. I am sorry.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 8

-----

Arjun watched in amusement as a very pretty woman burst into the room looking quite unhappy and as if she had quite a lot to say. He wondered if there was anything going on between her and his friend. His guess would be yes. Blake had always had a way with the ladies, yet somehow, he always managed to rile up the ones who were actually worth spending time on (of his own age, of course). It was an odd talent.

“Now look here, Lord Devonshire,” she began angrily immediately upon spotting him. “Before I even bring up the happenings of last night, I feel that it is my duty to inform you have the most impertinent butler I have ever met. Actually, I can't say that it surprises me overly much, considering your impertinence, but I must say I expected better of the employees of a duke. It would do you good to hire someone who is more suited for the job. He actually had the gall to tell me that arriving unchaperoned to call upon an unmarried gentleman, or any man for that matter, is simply not done. As if I don't know the rules of society, having lived in London my entire life. Obviously, it's none of his business as to why I am here alone, but—Oh!” she stopped suddenly, her eyes widening in shock after noticing that Blake and Spencer (who was trying incredibly hard to keep his mouth shut though he was itching to give a scathing retort) weren't the only ones in the room.

Arjun struggled not to laugh at the look upon her face (it wouldn't do to antagonize an already irritated lady) and instead said, “Hello, there. How do you do? Please, do not stop your tirade on my account, I do enjoy seeing Blake put in his place,” giving her an easy smile.

-----

Emma felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. She had been so focused on getting her point across to Blake that she had completely forgotten to check if he had other visitors, although she had assumed that he wouldn't, since it wasn't yet the appointed time to call on others. To make matters worse, she hadn't even gotten as far as to mention the point of her visit. She had been too busy going on and on about the impertinence of the butler. It wasn't even her place to say such a thing.

“I am so sorry!” Emma exclaimed before feeling at a loss for words. It had just occurred to her that this wasn't any ordinary visitor. He looked foreign, most likely from India, which meant that she probably hadn't given him the best impression of English women, assuming that this was his first visit. No, no! It would be no good to assume, seeing as it's already gotten you into trouble once, she chided herself inside her head. She felt her cheeks redden even more.

“It was very rude of me to just barge in like that. I don't know what came over me. I'll just come back another time.”

The other man smiled pleasantly up at her again while Blake looked at her with a blank expression on his face, not saying a word. She had absolutely no way of knowing what was going through his head.