The Games The Capital Forgot

By a-k-a-anonymous

If you were to search through the shelves holding each recording of The Hunger Games, you would find the 39th... More

Prolog
District 1 Reaping
District 2 Reaping
District 3 Reaping
District 4 Reaping
District 5 Reaping
District 6 Reaping
District 7 Reaping
District 8 Reaping
District 9 Reaping
District 10 Reaping
District 11 Reaping
District 12 Reaping
The Train Ride
Stylists
The Opening Ceremony
Training Day One
Training Day Two
Training Day Three
The Training Session
Scores
The Last Night

Interviews

900 35 54
By a-k-a-anonymous

Celeste Deluna, District 5

Electric.

That was the word that best described the hours leading up to the interview. My dragon-like stylist scurried around me like a mouse, dusting my face with this white chalk-like substance to make it paler and adjusting my dress as if it could simply never be perfect.

I didn't see her frustration. In all honesty I couldn't quite believe what he had turned me into. I felt a tad ashamed at my sudden desire to just stare at myself in the mirror awestruck and gape. My blonde hair was piled onto my head in a tight bun and tied in place with a shimmering blue ribbon with a flower that was so safire even I knew that nature was incapable of producing it. My dress was the same vivid color as the flower with a sleeveless sequined top that shimmered like the waves on the ocean, at my hips is flared out into an airy material that went to my knees in the front and then draped to the floor in the back. I looked unearthly, like a fairy from some of the stories my mother had told me as a child.

I just quite believe this was the same woman who had sent Braven and I into the parade in nothing but a white suit that was supposed to be a power plant workers uniform. I looked down at my stylist as she adjusted my bracelet for the seventh time. I was very tempted to ask her what had changed, but I decided against it. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Instead I settled for a soft, "Thank you, I look beautiful."

The woman looked up at me, her blue eyes looped in a violet haze. A grim smile stretched across her pale skin. "Ha, yeah. I put a lot of effort into this. Do me a favor and kill tonight, I want you sponsored." She gave my dress a sharp tug and stood up, her eyes scanning for any imperfections the dress might have the way a hawk scans the forest for it's food.

I nodded numbly as our escort scurried up from behind her, dragging a dashingly dressed Braven behind her. "Drem, we are going to be late! Celeste looks fine, darling, now spit spat lets go!" Our escort came up behind my stylist and whacked her on the butt, my eyes widened in shock but the dragon-like woman didn't flinch.

My stylist stood up without taking her eyes off of me, while my escort put her hand on my shoulder to guide me away. I looked over my shoulder at my stylist who opened her mouth and then shut it abruptly as if she wanted to say something but decided against it. I hardly realized we were in the elevator until the the big doors slid shut cutting off my view of my very confusing stylist.

Our escort tucked her hands behind her back and stared ahead without making eye contact with either of us. "You two are sticking to the plan?" She asked sharply as if to warn us.

Braven bit his lip and looked down. "I don't like the role my mentor has laid out for me but I will. I mean I trust him. I think...." He said slowly in a way that made it very obvious he didn't. I felt bad for Braven, being told to be something he's not and everthing, at least with me our mentor only told me I had to act fiercer. I wasn't sure I was going to comply... if I was going to die I wanted to die myself.

Their was a small 'ding' as the elevator doors slid open leading us to a white walled hallway that led to a curtained doorway where a television hung in the top corner of the hallway the stage. A peacekeeper stood before the rapidly increasing line of lavishly dressed tributes as if he was guarding the stage. I didn't see why he would need to guard it. The dark violet of the curtains looked so ominous, like huge jaws that would swallow anyone who dared to go through. Our escort pushed us to about the middle of the line behind the boy from 4 and ahead of the odd boy from 6. "Everything is set. You just stand here like good little darlings until they call your name. Walk on the stage. Do your interview. Then you will walk off the opposite side of the stage. Your mentor and I will be waiting." She blew us a kiss and then walked away, her elevator shoes clicking on the hard tile.

I tried to ignore the beating of my chest as I watched the peacekeeper gesture the beautiful girl from District 1 though the curtains. I watched her wink him playfully before pushing her way through the curtains. She appeared on the stage striding confidently becoming one with the pounding lights that reflected against her silver sequined dress. For the first time in my life I felt a prick of jealousy.... I wished I was that beautiful, full of curves without a trace of youthfulness in my face. I felt a small sinking in my chest as I remembered that I would never get the chance to be that beautiful for I was going to die before I had even hit puberty.

She smiled and sat across the stick like interviewer with big blue hair. She shook the interviewer's hand with a small giggle, "Vera Vescot, such a pleasure to meet you."

To which the interviewer nodded her head with a small flick of her hand, "Ah yes, as it is to meet you Miss. Georgette Channel. Tell us, are you our next victor?"

Georgette batted one of her thickly lashed eyes almost stupidly. "Why of coarse! I mean I am pretty, what more you you want in a victor?" The crowed roared with laughter as if he had just said the most hilarious thing they had ever heard.

I tried very hard not to be confused.

"I take it you like the capital very much if you are so anxious to tell us you are the front runner?" Vera asked raising an eyebrow in amusement and leaning toward Georgette as if she didn't want to miss the girl's response.

Georgette bounced up and down in her seat dizzily, "Oh yes of course. You are all the nicest people that I have ever met in my life! You are so artistic and original I just can't take it!"

"Goody!" Vera mimicked Georgettes movements as if she was just as excited as the girl was. "One last question, what are you fighting for? Why do you want to win?"

Georgette's face fell as if the question had caught her completely off guard, it was only for a second though because she was beaming again seconds later. "Why to prove to everyone that I am the best you've ever seen or will see." She said with a slight edge to her voice that made me uneasy. It contradicted the kind personality that she had showed us so far.... it almost sounded malevolent.

My eyes watched her as she walked away with the crowd screaming her praises. "Hey Braven?" I whispered to him suddenly, turning my head to look at him. His big chocolatey eyes looked down toward me, questioningly. "Braven why do people like her? She just told them what they wanted to hear." I said softly, careful not to let anyone hear me.

Braven just shook his head grimly, "That's the game, Celeste, see who can make the capital entertained the most." He frowned and put his hand on my shoulder, it was almost as if he was apologising to me for this, which wasn't his fault. After a long second he turned away, looking toward the screen which now held the career, Malcolm.

He was terrifying to look upon, he had been horrifying in training but now, he emanated sheer power. His stylist had garbed him in the black feathered jacket with an upturned collar that rose to his angled cheekbones, his long, dirty blonde hair had been pulled from his face. His stylist had ringed his eyes in black liner making his green eyes even more prominent.

His stylist had turned him into a creature of nightmares.

Malcolm appeared calm for once, sharply contrasting the unstable boy I had seen in training. I wondered how someone so highly strung could be comfortable on a stage surrounded by people.

"So, Malcolm," Vexa began, eyeing Malcolm like the older girls would eye the boys in the market place back home. "Tell us about yourself." She smiled, apparently pleased with herself for allowing Malcolm to choose the direction of the interview.

A disturbed expression crossed Malcolm's face as he stared at the woman as if she had three heads. Malcolm hesitated, "I'm a career and I'm from District 2."

Vexa raised an eyebrow, almost flirtatiously. "Is that all you are? Come on, you have to have a girlfriend back home or something."

Malcolm stared at her blankly, "Umm, no. Love, feelings, all that heart to heart shit just gets in the way of what is really important; power and success. I'm a career, I'm from District 2 and I'm going to do everything in my power to win." Malcolm folded his hands on his lap and stared at his interviewer intently, like a boy stares at a ball that is about to be thrown at him.

Vexa raised her eyebrows, tucking a strand of her lushious hair behind her ear that sparkled with gems. "Well why do you want to win then if you have no one to share it with?"

Malcolm leaned back and frowned. His answer took too long, an assortment of expressions flickered across his face before he finally said, "Well at this point if I didn't win I would be dead, and frankly I don't want to die." He sent her a sarcastic smile that seemed to mock her.

Vexa quite apparently didn't like the way he dismissed her because she boldly stood up and declared his interview over well before the clock that timed the interviews was up, this didn't seem to affect the capital's high opinion of him which showed in their cheers. Malcolm, in his own twisted way, had played the same game Georgette had.

Runa was next. Her curly black hair had been piled atop her head and her lips had been painted a bright red which matched the sequined red dress that trailed behind her like a phoenix tail. It suited her vibrant personality that seemed to renew itself from the ashes of each event in her life. I found myself feeling nervous for her, I really wanted her to do well. I felt a small weight on my chest... I wanted them all to do well.

Runa sat beside Vexa and withered nervously, her body seeming to shrink in size under the gaze of the entire capital, not at all displaying the confidence her costume suggested she had. Vexa tried to catch Runa's eye but failed, Runa's eyes locked on the crowed before her. She looked even smaller than she had before. Runa had been so kind to me, and she was my ally, I wished I could stop time long enough to rush up there and hug her, telling her that everything would be alright.

"Runa..." Vexa eventually spoke up after failing to get her attention.

Runa jumped a little, she tried to laugh but her voice got stuck in her throat. "Oh... umm... there are just so many of you..." She trailed off, the muscles in her neck tightening as she tried not to look back toward the crowed.

Vexa let out a sigh of relief, quite apparently glad she could get the interview going. "Well yes, we are the Capital. I bet District 3 wasn't like this. Tell us, what do you miss most about it?" A small, self-satisfied grin spread across Vexa's face at her own smoothness of tongue.

Runa's face darkened and her large brown eyes seemed to be suddenly on the verge of tears. "I had no hope if I decided to stay in District 3." She said softly. "I was going to kill myself. My parents were marrying me off to an old bastard for money...." She started to choke. "I volunteered because I wanted a chance, I wanted a chance at life without being forced into marriage. If I win the Hunger Games, which I won't, they wouldn't be able to touch me- They couldn't hurt me anymore-" She choked off suddenly and burst into tears. I watched them slide down her face dragging her makeup with it, turning her face into one blurred watercolor. I watched her shatter as she stood up and ran off of the stage, Vexa craning her head to watch her exit the stage.

The crowd was silent for a long moment before Vexa cleared her throat, "Well, we don't have tributes cut their interview short often, however I think we should move on. Our next tribute is Marvin Jobs!" I tore my eyes from the screen and looked over at Braven who was shifting uncomfortably, a war quite evidently waging in his mind.

I knew what he wanted to do before he spoke, "I want to try sneaking around the back of the stage... I want to make sure Runa's alright." He hesitated. "Is that stupid? I don't really even know her."

I smiled. "I don't think it's stupid to make sure someone is alright. I think it is beautiful that you care." I looked over towards the peacekeeper who stood, supervising us. I could see my reflection in the glint of his helmet. I couldn't see his eyes, however I could feel his eyes on us. "I'll distract him."

To say I was nervous would be an understatement, my stomach quivered like a cornered animal as I stepped closer and closer to the peacekeeper. He took a step towards me, "Celeste DeLuna, you must get back in line until you have to go to your interview." His voice was soft, like silk.

I blinked for a second, "Umm, sir, I have to relieve myself...." I looked down at me feet, completely flushed in the face. I hated lying. I felt dirty.

His shoulders stiffened, clearly he was uncomfortable. "Umm. Can you hold it?" He asked chokingly. I shook my head feverently. His bulky helmet turned from side to side before he sigh. "There is one down the hall. Be quick about it!" He said urgently, extending his long arm toward it.

"Can you show me? I get lost a lot...." I said slowly, the guilt I felt for tricking him slowly increasing.

The peacekeeper shook his head. "No, I'm already breaking protocol by letting you go, now run." He barked anxiously. I

I nodded, trying not to be intimidated by the man's ferocity before I glanced over my shoulder. Braven had gone. I felt a little better as I jogged down the hall, my heels clicking against the tiled floor. The sound soothed my anxiety as I saw the door marked 'restroom' and I ducked inside.

I would not be doing that again, I had no idea how so many kids my age could just lie without feeling guilty. I stood in the bathroom that was much nicer than any of the houses back in District 5 for only a minute before I stepped back into the hall. I couldn't stand the mirror, or rather I couldn't stand the person in the mirror. I tried to convince myself that it was for the best, but it was in my guilt that the nagging thought of the reality of our situation hit me. Here I was trying to set Braven and Runa up right before we were all pitted against each other. I suppose my initial thoughts were that the two deserved something beautiful before two or all of us died, but was it cruel? Was it cruel to give them something beautiful only to have it fall apart?

Those thoughts were racing through my head as I almost walked straight into the arms of the peacekeeper. I jumped in startlement as his hand curled around my arm and he began dragging me toward the stage. "Get onstage, one of the interviews went quicker than expected." He paused right before the curtain. "The District 4 girl tried to eat the interviewer and had to be dragged off the stage." He said abruptly.

I felt tremors of nervousness ripple through my veins as I tried to compose myself. "It's okay, just breathe. These interviews are designed to make you appeal to the Capital and you are already a favorite, Miss Deluna." The peacekeeper added, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Look, I would love to give you longer to prepare but you have to get out there. You will do great." I didn't have a chance to reply before he pushed me through the curtains and onto the stage that was surging with life.

The music was so loud it sent vibrations through my shoes and made my ears ring. Colored lights danced across the stage like stars of every hue. Vexa, the interviewer stood up to greet me, her long brown arm, decked in jewels that were almost as bright as the lights that swirled around us, toward me. "Folks, lets welcome the brave, young girl from District 5 who volunteered for a girl she didn't know."

I took a few hesitant steps forward before I glanced out at the sea of smiling faces of those in the capital. Their smiles did not comfort me.

Vexa let out a warm laugh, "Don't be shy, sweetie, I don't bite." She sat down in a velvet seat that was just as blue as her hair.

I finished my walk across the seat and didn't hesitate before I lowered myself into the seat. I smiled, "Your hair matches the seat, I love it. Was that random or coordinated?" It was a shallow question, but I wanted to avoid anything with meaning. I was far too uncomfortable for that. I hated how everyone was looking at me, I just wanted this to e over.

Vexa grinned, clearly flattered. "Why aren't you a love? You are the first person to comment on my efforts! It was coordinated, the theme for the stage was blue and I wanted my hair to match, originally I was going to go with like a lime orange." I felt a smile stretched across my face as well, even if she was one of the people excited to see the tributes die I was glad that I could bring some light to her day.

"Enough about me though, you look absolutely ravishing tonight! Doesn't she?" Vexa turned to the audience and they cheered in agreement. I felt a small blush rise to my cheeks.

"Thank you." I murmured, looking down uncomfortably at the violet tiled stage that was embedded with silver sparkles. I could see my reflection in it. I didn't look beautiful, I looked like a bird. I looked like a flamboyant bird who would be sitting bait in an arena full of wolves.

"Celeste, allow me to ask you the question that we have all been wondering." Vexa started, leaning forward with concern- whether that concern was genuine or not I wasn't sure. "You volunteered for a girl you had never met, when you were asked why you said, 'I couldn't let you hurt her.' What led you to make that move?"

I sigh, "Honestly? I saw the pain and fear in her eyes and I just couldn't let her go through that. I think I would have volunteered for anyone. I don't want to die, but I don't want anyone to have to die either. I just wish I could save everyone." I rambled, blurting out the feelings that raged in my chest.

"Giving your life in the Hunger Games is a necessary and noble sacrifice, though." Vexa said placing her hand on my shoulder comfortingly. "For what it's worth, I'm rooting for you." An eruption of clapping rolled over the audience like a wave.

I looked out at them knowing I should be happy for the support, but instead I only bite back words of defiance. It was a strange feeling, but somehow it felt like it belonged in me. The Hunger Games were not in the least bit necessary and they needed to be stopped.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

There isn't much I can say about taking so long to update except that I am sorry. There was a lot going on in my life and I guess that I just would forget about this since my chapters generally take a week to write. If you are even still reading this book than I owe you a giant thank you. <3

The next chapter will feature a recap of the interviews and then you will have the chance to sponsor one tribute of your choice. I will explain more about that in the chapter. I really want to update it soon, however I am not going to give you a time frame. It isn't fair of me to say a week and then take six months, just know I am trying.

Thank you all, I am so lucky to have all of you,

~a.k.a.

P.S. What are your thoughts on the cover? Is it a keeper?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 278 18
Rosewyn Snow had been raised to lead. Her view of the great country of Panem had never altered; her mind had a clear image of what the government sto...
2.3K 47 42
They all thought the Hunger Games were over. They all thought that the Games would never come back: no more reapings, no more killing, no more starvi...
482 13 29
It is the year of the 79th annual Hunger Games. Many of the characters you have come to know and love from other sources have somehow been transporte...
19.3K 416 23
Surfing waves and surfing emotions wasn't different for Kenzie, both of them challenges that she wanted to conquer no matter what. Just like her dete...