Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Eight

98 9 5
By Ithildaeforever

Nikandros felt awful. He was loosing lots of blood and his ribs were aching. Slowly, he felt himself drift out of consciousness. Concerned, Thea watched her friend as he went limp on he ground, a puddle of crimson around him.

King Degore scowled and sat back down upon his throne, "Go get my son." He commanded a nearby guard. "Everyone else leave. Take the two prisoners back to the dungeon."

Everyone rushed to obey and not anger their King. The guard ordered to find Ulric, swallowed the lump that suddenly formed in his throat, but went off to obey nonetheless.

Ulric stormed off to his room and locked the door. He sighed and sat on his bed. A few minutes later, the guard knocked. Ulric glared at the doorway. "Who is it?" He asked, anger threading into his voice.

There was a slight pause from the other side of the door. "...My lord, it's me...uh I mean, Searen, sir. I'm a guard..." He trailed off, uncertain of what to do.

"I know who you are." Came the muffled voice opposite the door.

"Well, uh...the King sent me to bring you back...sir." The guard answered nervously.

Ulric huffed and opened the door. "Alright." He said frustratedly.

The guard bowed, "Thank you, sir." He led the way quickly back to the throne room.

As they entered, the king dismissed everyone and Ulric was alone with his father. The King sent him a disappointed look. Ulric looked back at his father, "What do you want?" He asked.

"You never disobey me, boy. Especially when there are other people around. Do you understand?" King Degore said sternly.

"As a prince, I deemed that the trial had gone long enough for one day." Ulric tried to keep his voice calm, "The man has broken ribs and was losing lots of blood."

"And as your King and your father I am still above you. Do you understand?" Degore gazed sternly towards his son.

Ulric ground his teeth and took a deep breath, "Would you have wanted me to bleed the man to death?" He asked, "As a prince I felt that it would be wrong."

"He deserves death either way. Why does it matter how?" The King waved his hand indifferently. "Perhaps he is dead now. But, you will have a problem if he dies before you get the information. He seems to be our only bargaining chip against the girl." He searched his mind for an idea, "Actually, you could always switch their places too. If the girl cares for the man then it will probably be just as effective the other way around."

Ulric bowed his head, "I suppose." He said reluctantly.

"Well then we shall continue." King Degore decided, "Guards, bring the prisoners back out."

"Yes, my lord." They hurried away.

"This will be good practice for you." The King smiled quickly at his heir, but it soon left.

"Why today? The man is still weak." Ulric questioned.

"Because I have decided that." His father explained.

Ulric frowned slightly, "Alright."

A few moments later, the guard brought the assassins back in. Nikandros was still unconscious and Thea was fighting desperately against the guards to help her friend.

Ulric gulped silently. When the guards were in front of Degore and Ulric, he spoke, "Who are you working with?" He asked Thea. Thea ignored him and watched her friend. "I assume you didn't like what happened last time." Ulric left no questioning tone in his voice. He knew what she had gone through. "If you would speak..." He trailed off. Ulric noticed a flash of fear pass through her eyes, but it disappeared quickly.

"He is unconscious! Can't you see that?" She practically shouted.

"Yes, but when he wakes up, the pain will be pretty nasty." Thea glared icily at Ulric, her gaze practically piercing him with its venom.

"Don't forget what I told you, boy." Degore reminded. Ulric lowered his gaze for a moment, and then braced himself and looked back at Thea, his eyes looking deep into hers. She didn't back down as her eyes held steady. Silence filled the room. Ulric unsheathed his knife and walked over to Nikandros, still keeping his eyes on Thea's. "He doesn't have to suffer." He told Thea.

Thea finally spoke and her voice came out as a whisper, "Please...just..." Her voice cracked slightly, "hurt me. Leave him alone..." The venom was gone from her voice and all that remained was despair.

Ulric bit his lip, fighting inside himself. He sheathed the knife and walked over to his father, "Is there no other way?" He asked in an undertone.

Degore looked at his son in confusion, "What do you mean? Why do you have pity, Ulric? Can't you see she is fooling you?"

Ulric looked at Degore seriously. "Is there no other way?" He repeated.

"Do what you must. As long as you achieve the information then I care not how you go about it. But," Degore gave a tip, "just remember, this is a minor case. You will have to deal with harder things then this in your lifetime, Ulric." The King explained.

Ulric nodded and turned to Thea, "There is a way you can avoid his pain." He said.

"I'm not telling you anything." She answered firmly.

"He will suffer, then." Ulric said flatly. Thea looked down at the marble floor.

Nikandros stirred and half opened his eyes. He was on the floor. The prince was approaching him with a knife. Nikandros sat up quickly. Too quickly, and his head started spinning. When his head stopped spinning, he stood up and glared at Ulric. The pain from his legs hurt immensely, but Nikandros tried to ignore it. He walked over to Thea's side.

Ulric saw Nikandros stand up. He saw him walk to Thea's side. And most of all, he saw the icy glare Nikandros sent him. He faltered.

Surprised, Thea tried to reach out to Nikandros, but stopped when she remembered her hands were bound. "Are you okay?" She whispered. Nikandros nodded.

Ulric glanced at his father for guidance. "Guards, restrain him." Degore ordered quickly. The guards stepped forward to restrain Nikandros. The first one got a fist in the nose, and the second got a foot in his stomach. Nikandros sent a glare, first to Ulric and then to the king.

The King barely lifted his hand before several more guards came forward and this time grabbed Thea. Caught off guard, she didn't have a chance to fight. They dragged her away from Nikandros and near Ulric. One of the guards roughly kicked her knees, causing her to drop to the floor. Nikandros lunged at the guards holding Thea. They reacted quickly and kicked her in the face. She gasped and fell lower to the ground. One guard pulled her up by the hair and pushed his blade beneath her neck.

"No!" Nikandros stopped abruptly. The guards looked to the King for direction.

He in turn pointed to Ulric, "Your Prince is in charge of this. Ask him."

Ulric immediately took charge, "Since you," he indicated Nikandros, "are feeling so energetic, maybe you could answer some questions."

Nikandros' jaw tightened. "Never." He spat. Ulric raised an eyebrow. He pulled out the knife and knelt by Thea.

Nikandros glanced at Thea. Now that their positions were switched, Thea knew she couldn't let Nikandros say anything. She tried to shake her head, but the guard gripped her hair tightly. Instead, she mouthed no, hoping Nikandros would understand. Nikandros raised his head slightly, acknowledging Thea. He ground his teeth again and closed his eyes.

"Wait." The King ordered. "Ulric, I think you need to try something different. If you only stab them, they will die too soon. You need to cause pain without making it to fatal." Ulric turned to his father, a bit confused. "Think, boy. Think." Degore stood up and walked to the hearth that was heating the room. He grabbed the poker out of the fire and brought it over, handing it to Ulric, "Now do you understand? Don't forget, they are murderers." Thea's eyes widened in fright that she desperately tried to conceal.

Ulric covered his face with his hands. "I can't."

Degore lifted his eyebrows, "You can't do this yet you can stab a man twice? Be reasonable, boy,"

"This. Is. Torture." He glared at his father, "I am a prince not a torturer."

"You have already tortured them. Can you not see it? You are a prince, but you are too soft. Do it." The King thrust the poker into Ulric's hands and walked back to his throne.

Ulric threw the poker on the ground, "I am not soft, I am just compassionate." He stormed out of the room.

King Degore frowned deeply, "Not again." He said to himself. The guards looked expectantly at their King. "Leave him be. I will do it myself." Nikandros took a deep breath. He opened his eyes to see what was going on, and had seen the fiery hot brand. And then he had closed his eyes again.

Once again, I hope you are enjoying the story! :) Things are definitely becoming sticky for Nikandros and Thea...yikes. Well keep reading they have a lot more to their story still!

Anyways, please comment, vote, or follow! Luv you guys!

Ithildae and Evara (BananaBam03 )

Writers:
Thea: Ithildae
Nikandros: Evara
Degore: Ithildae
Ulric: Evara
Guards: Ithildae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214K 6.2K 45
Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilderness of Middle-Earth as one of the most...
843 73 14
Thirty years after the events of The Hobbit, Legolas heeds his father's words to go north and find a wanderer named Strider. However, his search for...
28.5K 745 16
Agardess made the name for herself as Middle-Earth's greatest assassin. She was cold hearted and quiet, never one for saying anything. She was never...
193K 4.7K 34
You are the daughter of an Elvish king and Queen. You also have some magic as your family are close friends with Gandalf the grey and your mother is...