Hero by Day

Av YourAverageNerd_

Oliver Storm is just your average American teenager. Well, unless you count the fact that he's actually White... Mer

Chapter 1 - Sidekicks have the most fun
Chapter 2 - Vigilantes aren't that bad
Chapter 3 - Superheroes don't get social life's
Chapter 4 - Not all Villain are bad
Chapter 5 - Making friends with my arch enemy
Chapter 6 - Society's Remedy is here?
Chapter 7 - A party fit for a superhero
Chapter 8 - Captain Destructible
Chapter 9 - I get promoted
Chapter 10 - Superheroes are better than Sidekicks
Chapter 12 - The Elise Obsession
Chapter 13 - Slutty Halloween costumes
Chapter 14 - The Purple Lady
Chapter 15 - Unexpected Saviors
Chapter 16 - OTP? What does that mean?
Chapter 17 - Never trust a Suit
Chapter 18 - White Knight Syndrome
Chapter 19 - The birth of a Hero and a Villain
Chapter 20 - Rising Action
Chapter 21 - Damsel in Distress
Chapter 22 - A super cameo
Chapter 23 - Heroes get the girl after all?
Sequel is out!
Wattys 2016

Chapter 11 - Moms can't flirt

5.8K 435 137
Av YourAverageNerd_

"There is a right and a wrong in the universe. And the distinction is not hard to make"

~ Clark Kent (Superman)

I watched silently as they lowered Daniel's casket into the ground. I was one of the only ones who stayed for this part, and my white spandex stood out immensely against the black that everyone else wore. Because of identity protection reasons, I wore my super suit to the funeral.

I said almost the same thing during the eulogy as I did during the press conference. I talked about his character, about how much he loved protecting this city. It was all the same every time.

"Dreary day, is it not?" Detective Pearson greeted, taking the seat next to mine.

I nodded, eye still glued to the casket.

He sighed. "We got some new information in about the poison used on Captain Impossible. The lab says that it was a mix of some of the deadliest poisons on Earth, including some liquefied Merlonium. It looks like someone was very insistent on killing him."

Merlonium was sort of like Kryptonite, but for all supers. No one knew why it affected every single super, but it did. Only supers with accelerated healing, like Sonic or the Doctor, could withstand its affects for short whiles.

I didn't bother asking about any new information on the Clown Guy. He had no identifying articles on his person, and his fingerprints didn't show up on any database. He didn't speak a word in interrogation, and he committed 'suicide' while in his overnight cell. It was obvious that he wasn't the mastermind, and that someone used him and then threw him away when his mission was over.

The police force had no leads on to whom ordered Captain Impossible's death, and most likely mine as well. Whoever they were, they must've been a powerful character in the underworld to have the resources to create the right poison that could actually hurt Captain Impossible.

"Do we have any leads on who ordered it?" I asked, my tone level.

He shook his head, "No, but we are trying our best, I assure you."

Of course. Because when you absolutely need a murder solved, it becomes unsolvable. Classic cliché right there.

"Have you got any leads on Delinquent?" He asked me.

I hesitated. I was still mad at her for potentially causing Daniel's death, but I couldn't give her up somehow. Why I felt so attached to a villain like her, I didn't know. And any information I had was useless. Sure, I knew she got her powers from the Paramount Pharmaceuticals brand ADD and/or ADHD medication, but it was still a huge pool of potential suspects. Not everyone who took the medication developed superpowers, and if her parents didn't sign her up on the list of affected, then she was listed as unaffected. And even the fact that her parents were a part of the elite was a huge guess. And in a city full of them, she would still be hard to find.

"No, she's a ghost."

He looked down with a sigh, "Well, we'll have to step up our resources. Since she attacked a senator, she's become the number one priority of the Super task force."

Yes, you heard right. Richard Head was a US senator. When Delinquent torched his office, his anti-super policies grew. He didn't even seem one bit spooked at the near death experience. In fact, Richard Head was using it as a catalyst to get more citizens to join the cause, which was just peachy for people like me.

"I hope you find her." I said, getting up out of my chair. "She's a real public menace."

Detective Pearson gave me a nod before walking away. I always appreciated the man for his dedication to the job. At this point, not too many officers wanted to join the super task force, especially since the number of villains rose high after the Paramount Pharmaceuticals accident.

I walked back to the car not long after that and got back to the comic book shop. Our new boss was supposed to come in today and I was a bit late. I hadn't lied to Mary when I told her that I got my new boss today, I just didn't tell her that the funeral and the time I was supposed to show up to work didn't coincide.

"Mom?" I questioned. She was chatting with a tall dark haired guy over the counter. He looked to be in his late thirties with a supermodel build. His black leather jacket and rumpled hair just improved his looks.

"Oh," she said with a chuckle, "Oliver, I was just talking with Mr. Hunter here. He's the new landlord, and owner of the shop. He was just telling me a funny joke."

'Mr. Hunter' broke out a smile, "Oh, please, Mrs. Storm, call me Chad."

Mom blushed. "Oh, I haven't been Mrs. Storm for years. Call me Sharon."

I almost gagged. Mom hadn't been interested in any guys since dad. After he died, she swore off all guys. She concentrated her resources on raising me instead. If I didn't know any better, 'Chad' had been flirting with her.

"Okay . . . should I leave you two lovebirds alone, or . . .?"

Mom blushed an even deeper shade of red somehow. "Oliver!" then she turned to Chad, "I'm sorry for my son's behavior."

Chas smiled and showed of movie star level white teeth, "It's no problem, Sharon."

Mom blushed one last time before heading up to our apartment. I was left with my new boss, Chad Hunter.

"So, you're my other employee?" he asked.

I nodded. "So you've met Eric?"

"Yeah, he's really something, isn't he?"

I could tell Eric had done something to make had feel strange about him, which wasn't unusual. He, like me, was probably feeling threatened by Daniel's replacement.

"So, you're hours will be about the same as when you worked under . . . Mr. Jackson. Your mother has told me that your school requires a lot of homework hours, so I've allotted the breaks in your work schedule for that. Anymore questions?"

I shook my head. Chad obviously knew about what Daniel used to do (who didn't at this point) and he also was obviously uncomfortable with it. I would be just perfect if Chad was a Remedist, wouldn't it?

"Great, you start today. I'll be gone for the day. You and Eric switch shifts at eight." He said, heading out the door. When he was gone, I headed around the counter and sat down.

Man, so my new boss was . . . interesting. He might hate supers and he might have a crush on my mom, great. Just great.

The bell above the door rang and I looked up, prepared for another bored customer, but instead face Mary. Mary never showed up at my work, and I thought she didn't know where it was, quite frankly.

"Olly, I see you're in town." She greeted.

"Yeah . . ."

She huffed. "You told us at lunch that you'd be gone for the day, remember? It was your excuse for not going to your boss's funeral."

"I . . . umm . . . I was . . . ahh"

"Here's what I think you were doing," she started, "you were here. You just made up an excuse so we wouldn't think it was weird that you didn't show up. I mean – even Ian and I had to go because of our mom and good publicity and stuff. You're closer to him and you didn't even show up, isn't this at least a little bit suspicious?"

I was speechless. If any of my friends had figured out my identity, I would've least expected Mary. Sure, she was controlling and a natural leader, but that didn't mean that she was a mastermind. Ian, with all of his sleuthing, was most likely to find out who I was. And then I figured Elise would be the next in line since I'd met her before as my super persona. Plus, she may seem quiet, but she's just analyzing every little detail.

But Mary?

I was just starting to think up excuses when she placed a hand on my shoulder. "I understand, Oliver."

"You do?" I asked tentatively.

"Yes, you know you can tell me anything, right? We're friends."

"I . . . umm . . . well, I didn't think you'd know. How'd you find out? What did I do?"

She frowned sadly, "Oh, it's so obvious, Olly."

"It is?"

I had thought I kept my secret very well, apparently not.

"You've just got to admit it to yourself first. I know it's hard. You're not alone here, you've got me. I've had to deal with it before to."

"You have?" I was seriously confused now.

"Yes." She walked around the counter and brought me into a big hug. "You need to let your feelings out, Oliver. You can't keep them bundled up like this. You miss Daniel, and you've got to admit that to yourself. I know what it feels like to lose someone close to me. I also tried to keep it to myself, but it didn't do any good. You've got to let it out, Oliver. I'm here for you if you ever want to talk about it." She said sincerely, squeezing me closer.

I had totally misread the situation. Mary just thought I was avoiding the funeral because I had mixed feelings about Daniel's death. She thought I was grieving, she didn't actually know about me being White Lightning.

"Oh."

"And I know it is hard learning that he kept such a big secret from you, but it was for a good reason. He was saving the city from bad guys – using his gifts for good. You can't blame him for doing his civil duty, Oliver. Now, I know that when my Aunt Esmerelda died, she wasn't keeping a secret like this from me, but I still understand where you're coming from."

"Okay."

"Oh, Olly!" she squeezed me even tighter, "You don't have to go through this alone."

"You're kind of squishing me." I managed to choke out.

She let go of me and backed up a step or two. "Are you okay now, Oliver?"

"I don't think I'll ever be okay, but I'll manage." I replied. It looked like I chose the right words because Mary jumped forward and gave me another quick, cobra-like hug.

"I love you Oliver. We all do. I hope you know that. Be okay, all right?" She gave me puppy eyes and I nodded. Mary left a couple minutes later after I was able to convince her that I would be fine for now.

I couldn't believe the huge bullet I had managed to dodge. Mary didn't know that I was White Lightning, she was just being a good friend. I was so glad she was as ignorant as she was, or she would've caught me in my act.

What she didn't know what that I had dealt with my mixed feelings about his death, but they were for a different reason. Delinquent was still out there, ruining our reputation and increasing the Remedist's anti-super position. She was still partly responsible for Daniel's death, something I would never be able to forgive.

I still had a lot to deal with, and if Mary thought my being distraught was about Daniel, then let her. It would be one more person out there who didn't want to end me or figure out my identity.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

Psyche Av DrasticEffect

General Fiction

1.6K 48 26
Ciroton Pierce is nothing but a interesting character. For the wrong reasons that is. He doesn't have many friends and rather be in his own comfort t...
6.7K 571 18
"I've tried telling them I'm only fifteen. That no sane government would force a boy my age to fight crime. 'But Max, you're a superhero! Isn't this...
104K 5.1K 34
People have heard of so many heroes, like Superman, The Avengers, etc. Danger is one of them. However, being a teenager, she has lots of other resp...
12.6K 1.1K 20
A legend once said, 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓼 𝓮𝓶𝓹𝓽𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓵𝓼 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮. And he was right. In a world where extraordin...