Timeless [h.s]

By perfectlybecca

"Do you believe in fate, Harry? The unexplainable force that somehow seems to draw people close and create si... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
1897
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Thirty one
Thirty two
Thirty three
Thirty four
Thirty five
Thirty six
Thirty seven
Thirty eight
Thirty nine
Forty
Forty one
Forty two
Forty three
Forty four
Forty five
1 year later

Eighteen

284 16 2
By perfectlybecca

Stuart

I adjusted the tiny black dress I decided to wear and wondered if that was a choice I would've made if Sienna hadn't been rummaging through my closet. She always found clothes I never wore, most of which I hadn't even bought myself, and somehow I always ended up using those items because I felt somewhat guilty.

"I mean, on a scale from one to young Leo how hot is he?" She questioned, adjusting her flawless eyebrows and smirking at me through the full-length mirror I had behind my door. I rolled my eyes in return, finishing my hair and feeling pleased with my newfound dexterity with a curling iron.

"I'm expecting some Alain Delon lookalike." Arthur chirped in. I chuckled, knowing that deep down he expected some hot, old man, perhaps even one willing to become his sugar daddy. Leave it to one of the most privileged people on Earth to have a ridiculous dream of spending an entire month travelling and being spoiled by others. I didn't approve of his life aspirations, but deep down I knew it wasn't my place to judge.

"He's good looking, but you're making such a big fuss. He's a normal guy." I shrugged, not entirely sure what they expected. I couldn't see Oliver as anything but a regular man, although I understood why they were so excited about the entire thing. They had known me for their entire lives, they had seen I never aged a day, no grey hairs, no new wrinkles or flaccid skin; that was proof enough of my story, but I knew they still wondered a lot about how everything happened, how it was possible to live in a world where magic or supernatural occurrences happened. The presence of someone from my past was definitely like Santa meeting the tooth fairy for Arthur and Sienna.

"He's throwing some fancy party at his penthouse and he invited us, so I'm already inclined to liking him." Arthur said, smiling slightly.

"He may be generous and all, but I'm inclined to believe he is just a coward. I mean, he did bail on Charlie when she needed him the most." Sienna pointed out, a smug grin spreading once Arthur's expression deflated. I agreed with her, nodding along. Oliver could be a nice man, or at least someone who wasn't inclined to kill me, but he still needed to prove he was not a coward.

"Sienna is right. His lack of action did alter our entire lives in many ways. I don't want to sound ungrateful, considering he's given me more information than I could've hoped for, but I also can't help but blame him." I admitted, picking up my phone, my charger and my wallet, stuffing the three objects inside a small handbag. We were all ready to go but somehow we knew we needed some time together to discuss what would happen, what we were about to face.

I could almost sense our bond and it was strong and delicate, like the pretty bows in fancy presents. After Arthur walked away when I told them the truth, I considered leaving too, building my life alone in a distant place, without using a lineage of people who always shielded me whenever I needed. I knew it was just a cowardly way out of a situation I didn't want to face, but it still crossed my mind, and at the prospect of freeing myself from this curse I considered the option of cutting lose even more.

The first thing I'd do once this entire ordeal was over definitely would be a nice and long trip to a place I always dreamt about visiting but never did. Galapagos was a great choice, something to keep me humble amongst such a vast world and diversity.

"Well, I guess we can either hate him forever for what he did or try to find a way of working with him. I'm pretty sure that his guilt flared up once he laid eyes on you at that hospital, and it's probably been escalating ever since. The only thing I know for sure is that he seems as interested as you in breaking this curse or whatever." Arthur added, giving us a more detailed insight of his thoughts regarding the entire situation. I wish we could stay and discuss the subject endlessly, much like we did the night before, but we were already past the point of fashionably late. I didn't want to keep Oliver waiting.

"Well, today you'll be able to form an opinion. We'll probably discuss it over lunch tomorrow, considering it's a school night, but that won't be happening unless we leave now. We're already super late." I spoke, seeing them nod in agreement.

We picked our belongings, closed the doors and locked the house, typing all the codes and turning on the security system. Every time I left the house I remembered Harry's battered face and bloodied clothes. I looked around warily, wondering if Gaston was watching us from afar or if my paranoia was getting the best of me. I knew we had an expensive, decent security system, but I always locked my room and took the key with me, just in case. If someone wandered around the house without our consent we wouldn't notice, but if the lock to my bedroom door was broken I definitely would see it.

"You won't have to worry about him much longer, Charlie." Sienna reassured me, giving me a tight smile. I nodded, although I couldn't feel any differently at the moment. When she opened the door to our car, however, my worries shifted and I briskly wondered if my family would like Oliver or hate him. The most surprising thing about that thought was knowing that deep down I would feel upset if they didn't warm up to my oldest acquaintance.

+

The party was definitely classy but far too crowded for my liking. As I knew he would, Oliver welcomed us, a broad smile gracing his features. He offered us champagne, which made Arthur slightly annoyed considering he was driving, but I accepted the alcohol gracefully, knowing I could get tipsy but never past the point of feeling regretful once I arrived home.

"I trust you're enjoying yourselves?" Oliver startled us, placing his hands on Sienna and Arthur. I enjoyed the interaction mainly because their reactions couldn't be more different. Sienna spared our host a polite smile, but I could sense her uneasiness from afar, meanwhile Arthur seemed absurdly pleased with the contact. I could've sworn he checked out Oliver's biceps but the look lasted too little for me to be certain.

Aside from every reservation I had, I couldn't deny the plain truth. The man welcoming us into his party was good looking, extremely handsome, and through the years, he surely learned how to use that in his favour. The black button up shirt clung to his body tightly but not in a way that seemed like something he borrowed from someone two sizes smaller. It accentuated his well-built arms and back, showing off all the work he had done. His hair was styled upwards, his haircut probably costed more than any sane person would be willing to pay, but he did it nevertheless and somehow made the whole thing seem effortless, as if he casually chose some clothes, ran his hands through his hair and showed up with a large smile to greet his guests.

"Yes, thank you for inviting us." I answered, still wondering what the entire party was for. Definitely not a casual get-together but also not an engagement announcement either. I almost laughed at the idea of being invited to an engagement party without knowing about it; surely, it'd be a surprise.

"I know you probably have questions, and I am willing to answer all of them as time goes by, but I was hoping we could just have a nice night together, be regular people." He shrugged, downing a large gulp of his scotch. I could see his cheeks getting rosier as the alcohol descended, giving him a somewhat adorable look.

"Yeah, I guess we can't expect to have that type of conversation in such a crowded place. I think we'd be happy with a house tour instead." Arthur spoke; smiling with mischief and making me roll my eyes. He seemed to have an endless amount of confidence, never missing an opportunity but never acting too inappropriate.

"Sure, I think that'd be nice." Oliver answered, smiling and looking me directly in the eyes. He wanted my approval, for some unknown reason, but I wasn't willing to give it to him. If I looked at his face long enough, I'd see the man I once knew in my actual period of time, and that'd make me hate him. If I stared too long, if I engaged in conversation, I'd remember his condemnable acts and the anger would resurface again. I still needed some time to process that dubious emotion, considering I felt enraged but understood his motives all at once.

We walked around the large, modern penthouse although I zoned out at the light conversation that took place between my family and my former friend. I tried to find any sign of personality in his house, but there was nothing. The decoration was sleek, modern art, something I'd find interesting if I took the time to decipher what the artist must've felt while painting it. However, there was not a single picture of him or anyone. No trophies, no mysterious objects that probably held some unknown significance to him, nothing.

If I visited the place without knowing a party was going on, I'd never believe someone actually lived inside it. It was impersonal, cold, lacking any sense of familiarity. My observation told me more about the house than Oliver and his brief explanation could. He was lonely, and despite all the money, recognition and people surrounding him, Oliver didn't have a support system, not like me. For the first time since our dinner, I felt sorry for him, sorry for blaming him.

"I guess that's about it. I need to mingle a bit more, wouldn't want my guests to feel unattended. I'll be back soon." He left with grace, leaving us back inside the living room. I counted thirty people, including us. There were probably more in other spaces, less than sixty for sure. I watched as Oliver talked to his guests, sparing dazzling smiles but never staying for too long. I had a feeling that if he did stay for too long they'd run out of subjects to discuss.

"I feel bad for him, he clearly doesn't have any friends, which is so sad, considering he's as old as you." Arthur spoke, taking a seat with me on the small couch I managed to dominate. I nodded, looking down at my half-empty glass of champagne. I refilled it, thanking the polite servant that handled me a new one.

"Yeah, and don't even get me started on this party. It's the type of thing lonely people do to avoid acknowledging the void inside their chests." Sienna spoke lowly, making sure no one would be able to hear us. We believed none of his guests was an intimate friend of his, but if there was something we all knew was that, usually, people who linger around others because they think they're gaining something are real life gossip girls. The last thing we needed was someone prying.

Before we could share our opinions any further, the music died down and everyone gathered around the middle of the room. I felt slightly uncomfortable with the crowd surrounding me so closely; probably paranoid that someone would somehow recognise me and expose me.

"As some of you may know, today is my birthday, so I believe some cake is in order before the clock strikes midnight." I gasped in surprise, reckoning that information was almost as shocking as the engagement party I previously considered. The small things, the details, they tended to slip away with time. Sometimes I barely remembered my own birthday. Arthur and Sienna looked at me in disbelief as we joined the happy birthday chants, hardly paying attention to it. Oliver seemed embarrassed by the whole thing, and I almost laughed at the lack of candles atop his cake. I had a feeling people wouldn't be so festive if they found out he had surpassed the mark of three centuries.

Once the entire thing was over, experienced caterers cut the cake while Oliver was swarmed by women in shorter dresses than me, receiving long hugs and unnecessary kisses across his face. I laughed slightly; knowing most of them believed they'd be able to somehow get into his pants and maybe even his life. If our entire endeavour of defeating Gaston didn't succeed, these people wouldn't even lay eyes on Oliver again.

I observed in silence, eating a slice of the rich flavoured cake. I truly hoped Arthur would be bold enough to ask for the leftovers and bring it home; our breakfast tomorrow would definitely be happier over such amazing food. After the congratulations diminished, I made my way towards Oliver, watching as his eyes lit up a bit and his smile became less frugal, showing off some actual delight after all the attention he received.

"You invited us to your birthday party and didn't think you should maybe tell me about it?" I questioned, trying to keep the accusatory tone at bay. He smiled like a child caught eating candy before dinner, embarrassed but also pleased with himself.

"Well, I don't really care much about birthdays. My personal trainer, which also happens to be my only close friend always insists I should celebrate. I guess I indulge because he orders me some goddamn amazing cake." I nodded along, laughing. My heart felt less heavy at the thought of Oliver having a friend. If the man was anything like Miles, I knew he was safe and in good hands.

"Does he know about it?" I asked lowly, surprised once he nodded.

"Yeah, he found some old letters and stuff I kept in a locker inside his gym. I guess it was a leap of faith, considering I could've lied, but I decided I needed to trust someone in my life. So far he has given me no reason to regret my decision." I nodded, knowing how scared he must've felt, having such a secret exposed. Not many people would accept that reality and move on with their lives, which was why we cherished those singular creatures so much.

"I'd like to meet him someday. Having trustworthy people is always important." Surprising me, Oliver picked up my hands and squeezed them a bit before starting to walk.

"Come with me to my study, I think we can speak freely there. I'll even invite Sean to drop by." I felt slightly uneasy, considering I'd leave my siblings behind without telling them where I was headed. Thankfully, Sienna caught my eye amidst the entire thing, giving me a small head wave that signalled she knew what I was doing and it was okay. I dropped Oliver's hand, although I did follow him, not paying much attention to detail like I did before. He opened a door we didn't during our small house tour.

It was a comfortable study, large wooden desk and comfortable black chairs. I was amazed by the amount of books stuffing the large shelves that went all the way to the ceiling down to the floor. Many were first editions, old publications that probably didn't even exist in the modern days. For the first time, I saw a picture, or something along those lines. A large portrait of Eleanor hung on his wall, protected by thick safety glass. It was definitely one he brought back from the old days, and even though I didn't expect to, I felt small tears run down my cheeks. I missed her friendship and her presence in my life.

"So this is your private shrine. I was starting to believe you had lost your soul through the years." I mused, wondering if my words had sounded ruder than I intended. In my mind they were just harmless teasing, but I knew Oliver could see it in other way.

"I do have a soul, although I don't usually display it on my walls. I save it for my patients mostly."

"That's why you chose to go to med school? To exercise empathy and remain somewhat human during those years?" he seemed surprised with my assumption, taking a seat on a brown leather couch on the further corner of his room, a place with a perfect view of El's portrait. I sat beside him, feeling rather exposed as I crossed my legs and wondered for the millionth time why I had decided to agree on such a short dress.

"You're very perceptive. I like being around people, making myself useful, seeing the gratitude in their eyes. Being a doctor touches me and humbles me like anything else and quite frankly it's the only thing that keeps me going." I nodded, understanding the feeling. My family, even a makeshift one, kept me going through the years.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does a normal doctor can afford this place and your lifestyle?" that question had been nagging me for a while. Thankfully, Oliver seemed open to my enquiring, probably happy he could actually be truthful for once in his life.

"I auctioned some of my oldest belongings through the years, which is surprising lucrative. I have a safe house with much more should I need it. I also made some lucrative investments, but a nice portion of my good life came from me winning the lottery. Believe it or not, sometimes I can't even believe it myself." I was dumbfounded at his last statement, wondering why I had never tried to win it. If I stuck to the same numbers, they'd probably be chosen at some point. Instead of asking for more details I just laughed in disbelief. Historical jewels, investments and lottery tickets surely would've provided him some fat bank account.

"And what do you do once you have to move? Do you go to college again and graduate millions of times?" I asked, curiousity burning within me.

"I have some rather, classified, contacts, as I believe you do too." I nodded along fully aware of what he implied. "They provide me some new documents and such every now and then, always changing the dates. I can't say I am proud of that, but we do as we must to survive." I felt the same way about the underworld of forgeries and fake documents. I needed them, they were a vital part of my life, but I always felt uneasy, as if someday life would catch up and I would end up behind bars, paying for those crimes.

"Yeah, I know what a hassle that can be." I mumbled, looking down at my lap and feeling the fabric of the couch shift. Oliver was slightly closer, his eyes peering into mine with curiosity. Even though I wanted to hate him for what he had done in the past, I found that task increasingly hard. He struggled to live a normal life, just like me, and also like me, he had flaws and had done things he wasn't entirely proud of. I couldn't dangle a centenary mistake over his head forever, although it still bothered me to some extent.

"I'm sorry for blaming you yesterday, for thinking so lowly of you when I probably would've done the same had our roles been reversed." I spoke again, seeing gratitude in his eyes. Oliver was indeed waiting for my words to redeem him.

"I can't blame you either. I would've been way less gracious if I found out Eleanor died because you took the cowardly route." He shrugged, looking at her looming portrait again. The only downside of that picture was the lack of a smile; she was one of those people that had a sunny smile, something that could light up even the coldest hearts.

"Why do you keep her portrait here, displayed? It's a bold move."

"Because she reminds me that I am alive. When I look at her I can't help but feel like I should honour her, lead a happy life, embrace the opportunities I am given. She was the most positive creature I have ever met, and seeing her everyday reminds me I should take a page or two from her book." The way he spoke about her made me feel warm inside. Back in our time, hardly any marriages had a shred of romance, but it comforted me knowing that one of my best friends led a happy life, beside someone who actually cared about her and made an effort to honour their commitment.

"You loved her very much, didn't you?" I dared to ask, seeing no trace of anger in his blue eyes, just some longing and another emotion I couldn't exactly decipher dancing in the deep cerulean irises.

"I gave her every part of myself I could offer, although sometimes I wonder if that was enough." I nodded, knowing he was hiding something but also acutely aware I shouldn't pry, I had no right to.

"Considering my marital experience, I believe that was far beyond enough. You were amazing in her eyes." I praised, remembering the day of their wedding. Eleanor was literally floating down the aisle, her voice sweet and sure as she spoke her vows.

"I'm sorry about that. Gaston was the absolute worst, in everything he did." I shrugged, knowing it had nothing to do with me. Back then I used to blame myself, to believe I somehow deserved his wrath and mood swings, but I had come a long way, developed my confidence and my self love, and if there was something I firmly believed in was my worth as a person, as a woman. No one deserved to be in an abusive relationship, there were no excuses. We all had our priceless value as a human being, and certainly that was not measured by a deranged man's opinion.

"I'm in peace with that. I was a victim back then, but not anymore. I have moved on from that awful time." I said confidently, smiling once I saw Oliver do the same. I was surprised with our close proximity, even more surprised with myself once I realised I didn't care all that much about it. His hot breath fanned my face, the smell of alcohol invading my senses. For the first time in that night I felt slightly buzzed, aware of the seven champagne glasses I drank. Surprising us both, Oliver planted his lips against mine in a haste, his hands laying on my cheek with delicacy, although his mouth had other thoughts. I stood motionless, wondering if that was actually happening and feeling even more confused when I considered kissing him back instead of pulling away.

I moved a bit, still unsure of what was happening, but feeling my heartbeat quicken immensely once we heard the door opening. I scrambled away immediately, my cheeks burning, my head spinning. Before I could say anything, I looked at the person who inadvertently interrupted our moment. I felt myself cowering away into the couch further, knowing I was probably being thoroughly judged at the moment. Harry's personal trainer, the one I had met during his match was intently looking into my eyes. He had a stoical expression, but I knew he was just hiding his anger. For a moment I tried to understand what he was doing there, but everything came into place soon after.

Sean, Oliver's best friend and only confident was Harry's friend and personal trainer. The world was indeed playing a sick game with my life, and I felt like I was about to hyperventilate, maybe even pass out if I stayed for too long.

"Sean, this is Charlotte, the girl I told you about." I got up immediately, feeling beyond overwhelmed with what was going on inside that room. Suddenly, Eleanor's eyes were no longer sweet or placid, they were judging me, judging my actions, or my lack of action, considering I hadn't pushed Oliver away when I should have. 

"I'm sorry, I have to go." I barely mumbled the words, leaving the room as quick as possible and wondering how my life managed to develop new complications at every turn.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 557 64
The world finds odd ways to put people together. For them, it was PR. ~ She walked along the shore, the humid air, feeling much colder next to the b...
9.5K 64 43
Some people think fairytales exists but to Elle Robinson, fairytales along with words like destiny and fate is something only stupid people believe. ...
29.7K 1.2K 35
Louis comes to the bakery every morning and he knows everyone there. They know Louis personally that his friends with everyone who works there. There...
9.5K 252 32
Imagine a world in which soulmates exist and everybody is looking for their other half... Louis Tomlinson has learnt pretty early that even in this r...