Against all Odds {Middle-Eart...

By Ithildaeforever

"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter Seven

103 9 6
By Ithildaeforever

Soon after, too soon for Ulric, it was morning. King Degore sent a guard to wake his son.

Ulric heard a quiet knock from the other side of his door. He groaned and rolled out of his bed. Deciding to ignore the knock for a little, he got dressed quickly.

The knock continued, gradually getting a little louder until a voice asked, "My prince?" Ulric sighed, and struggled to get his boots on. The knocking persisted, "Sir? Is everything alright?"

Ulric managed to get the last boot on and rushed to the door. He took a deep breath and opened it. The guard jumped slightly before retaining his composure. He bowed, "My prince, so sorry to disturb you so early, but the king has requested you come to the throne room."

"Ah..." Ulric said slowly, "I see." The guard swallowed nervously and nodded. He waited for the prince to dismiss him, hoping he wasn't angry.

Seeing the guard's hesitation, Ulric responded, "Oh, you may go." He smiled, "Thank you."

The guard hurriedly nodded and walked away. Ulric caught a glimpse of the guard exhaling. Ulric closed the door and sighed. "It's way too early for this." He told himself. When he was ready, he headed down to the throne room.

King Degore rolled his eyes when he saw his son, "Ulric, finally. I have decided that you will help me run the court today. And," he added, "you must deal with your would be, assassins."

"Ah," Ulric bowed his head.

"Excuse me?" The King prodded.

"Um..." Ulric hesitated, wondering what he missed, "Yes, my lord." He said firmly, hoping that was okay.

"That is more like a prince. Now," the King turned to a nearby guard, "Go get the two prisoners that tried to kill our beloved prince." He commanded.

"Yes sir." The guard hurried away, his armor clanking as he went.

"Beloved prince?" Ulric raised an eyebrow, "Was that necessary?"

The King sighed, "No, not really, but I wanted to give the guard extra reason to obey fully,"

"Ah." Ulric considered the answer.

A few minutes later, the guard returned with another guard helping him. They pushed the two assassins to their knees and backed away. Both offenders looked very weary and had their hands bound. The man barely looked conscious whereas the woman was wide awake and angry. She glared at the King and Degore noticed several bruises on her face that were fresh. 'She must have put up quite the fight on her way here.' He mused.

Ulric bit his lip awkwardly. "Father?" He asked in an undertone.

"What, Ulric?"

"Are we giving them a trial?"

"Why don't you question them first. We know nothing about them." King Degore suggested. He relaxed deeper into his throne, preparing to watch his son.

Ulric nodded, and straightened.
"Why did you try to kill me?" He addressed Thea and Nikandros. Thea glanced at Nikandros, but didn't answer. Ulric sighed inwardly, "Answer the question, prisoner." He ordered. Silence. The room seemed to be filled with it.

Ulric began to get frustrated at this girl. He decided to ask a different question. "Who are you working with? They must not have been very good teachers." He added the last question sort of to himself, hoping to antagonize the girl into speaking.

Thea barely held it together. This haughty prince was really starting to annoy her. She stayed silent, trying to not let anything slip by.

"Not speaking, eh?" Ulric thought for a moment. He didn't want to be cruel, but he knew eventually if this girl wouldn't speak, he would have to threaten. "How do you know him?" He gestured at Nikandros. Thea smiled inwardly, this guy wasn't going to get anything out of them. Ulric sighed, "You know, I don't want to do this the hard way."

"Ulric, remember what I've told you. They tried to kill you, mercy is not something they deserve." Degore reminded.

"Father, I know what I'm doing." Ulric assured in an undertone.

"Then do it. We have other matters to tend to." The King sighed deeply.

Ulric stepped forward, "Guards," he ordered. "Restrain her." He pointed at Thea. The guards hurried to obey and Ulric walked over to Nikandros and grabbed his shoulder. Ulric forcefully dragged him in front of Thea. Thea's eyes widened and she struggled to keep silent. She jerked away from the guards, but there wasn't much she could do.

Ulric smiled inwardly at her discomfort. He slid a knife out of his sheath. "Now," Ulric said, "let's start this over." He smiled at Thea. "How do you know him?" He asked. Thea searched for her voice, but it would not come. A large lump in her throat seemed to keep her from speaking. She was paralyzed in shock and anger. Ulric tapped the flat part of the blade on Nikandros' leg. "Well?" He prodded. Thea was ready to speak, she wanted to save her friend, but she couldn't. Every time her mouth opened, no words came out. She felt as if the Master was watching and knew she couldn't speak. The young assassin was torn inside.

Ulric raised an eyebrow, and pointed the blade at Nikandros' thigh. Thea stared into Nikandros' eyes, looking for guidance.

Nikandros, who was half conscious, slightly shook his head no. Thea wanted to scream. The situation was awful. She knew in her heart that she shouldn't say anything, but watching Nikandros about to be hurt was making it very difficult.

Ulric frowned, "Not going to say anything?" He questioned. Thea licked her dry and cracked lips. She tried once more to get away from the guards, but it was still futile. Ulric raised the knife, holding it there, seeing if Thea would speak up for her friend. Thea closed her eyes in response and tried to look away. She realized that she couldn't bear to watch it, even if it had to happen.

Ulric plunged the knife into Nikandros' leg. Nikandros cried out in pain, but cut the cry off half way. He gritted his teeth. Ulric looked at Thea, "Will you not speak up for your friend?" He asked softly. Thea didn't look, she had flinched when the cry resounded around the room. She felt like she was betraying him.

Ulric frowned. "Will you say nothing?" He asked, pretending to let anger seep into his voice, "Nothing for you friend?" He sounded sincere, like he was concerned for Nikandros.

Nikandros closed his eyes. Pain filled his mind. Slowly he fought to keep it back. "Thea," he started, "I'm alright. Don't say anything." He assured her in a comforting voice.

Thea nodded softly, but kept her eyes closed. Now, salty tears had begun to form around her eyes. She tried to hold it together.

Suddenly, Ulric felt pity for the two. "Take them back to their cells." He ordered the guards.

King Degore held up his hand, halting the guards. He looked at his son, "Ulric? What are you doing? They were about to cave. Especially that weak female." At that, Thea pulled again at the arms holding her and glared towards the King. He just chuckled.

Ulric turned to his father, "They've had enough for one day. Tomorrow we'll resume."

"No. If you stop when they are almost ready, then you lose the progress." King Degore patiently explained, "Continue."

Ulric swallowed and turned back to Thea. "Will you say nothing?" He asked sorrowfully. Thea managed to look up at him although she still sagged in the guards' arms. She shook her head slowly. Ulric sighed and brought the knife up again.

King Degore frowned, "If they will not speak, then show them what happens." Ulric sighed deeply. He brought the knife down into Nikandros' other thigh. Nikandros was prepared this time and gritted his teeth. He managed to not cry out. Thea mimicked her companion and also ground her teeth together. She felt herself giving up and knew that she couldn't wait much longer. If she did, Nikandros could very well bleed out. Nikandros felt himself grow faint.

"Will you speak?" Ulric asked Thea.

"No!" Thea yelled. She scowled at the prince.

Ulric raised his eyebrows. He looked down at Nikandros. "How do you know her?" He asked.

Nikandros closed his eyes. He heard someone saying something, but he couldn't make out the words. He shook his head, trying to clear it. Nikandros felt weird. He felt out of it.

"Finish it, Ulric." King Degore ordered.

"Father..." Ulric began to object.

"You heard me..." Degore began to get annoyed with his son.

Ulric furrowed his brows, "We can resume this tomorrow." He said firmly and walked out of the room.

King Degore stood up abruptly, "Ulric, come back here." He called in a regal and commanding tone. Everyone flinched slightly at the sound of his voice. Ulric ignored his father and kept walking out of the room.

Hey, my wonderful readers! I hope you are enjoying the story so far!:)  If so, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks! <3

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
Ulric -- Evara
King Degore -- Ithildae
Guards -- Ithildae and Evara

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 8.8K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
365K 9.8K 60
Amarië has been traveling for a long time searching for the right place to settle down. During her journey she meets new friends and faces some dange...
253 13 2
also published on ao3 (ishipjawnlock) -- "Do you think they'd believe me if I told them the Prince of Mirkwood drags me into the woods every night to...