Tintin and the Secret of the...

By StrikerSkyKnight

Tintin and Snowy find themselves investigating the mystery behind the 'Unicorn' but it is not the only myster... More

An Eventful Morning
The Flea Market
Conflicted Feelings and a Broken Ship
The Library
An Unwelcome Visit
What Scroll?
The Letter from Who?
He Returns
Chloe's Courage
Sakharine's Threat
Crab Tins and A Letter
A Drunken Ally
The Dark Corridor
Lifeboat to Bagghar
Not A Rescue Plane
Crashed Into The Land of Thirst
"You are nothing like him."
Interlaced
The Chase for Three Scrolls
Almost
More Than Friends
Home
Midnight Visit
Justice
Back To The Start
Bonus Chapter #1
The Hartson Siblings
Bonus Chapter 3
Preview!!
Story Facts

The Letter That Was Never Sent

911 32 8
By StrikerSkyKnight

  Instead of warm, gritty sand, Chloe felt a mattress beneath her body and a pillow at her head. With a groan she forced her eyes to open though she wanted to enjoy her slumber again. "Ah, you're awake! It's about time!" An unfamiliar voice greeted suddenly, Chloe visibly stiffened – now completely aware she was alone in a room with a male. With a scramble she sat up with wide eyes, the thin blanket tangling up around her legs, "It's alright, I won't hurt you." The man spoke, dressed like a doctor stepping back with his hands in the air, Chloe's chest heaved up and down as she continued to look at him in fear. "My name is Lieutenant Delcourt, you're in the Afghar Outpost." He explained gently, Chloe's eyes darted around her – he wasn't lying about an outpost, everything was basic. "Your fiancé is waiting outside, want me to bring him in?" Lieutenant Delcourt asked, gesturing with his pipe to the door, Chloe froze again – how did Harry find her here?! She shook her head, "I-I don't have a fiancé." She replied, her voice failing with nerves and her dry throat. He looked at her as if she was someone that had forgotten their life, "Why, of course you do!" He smiled, leaving but shutting the door a little behind him, Chloe wrung her hands what would she say to Harry? Give the ring back? Would he beg for her hand in marriage again? Could she do that to Tintin, knowing she had become more attached to him lately.

The door opened with Snowy barking happily, trotting in with Tintin following close behind his hands behind his back, looking completely healthy but with a troubled look on his face, "I'll leave you two alone." Lieutenant Delcourt spoke, sensing the tension in the room closing the door behind him. A bit angered with Tintin, Chloe averted her gaze as she hugged her knees, Tintin sighed through his nose as he moved closer. "How are you feeling?" He asked, his voice a bit strained. "I don't want to talk to you." Chloe spat back, she had just parted ways with Harry and was now thrown into another adventure with the very best friend she had feelings for. Right now she didn't want to think about those feelings. "Chloe... we haven't go time for this!" Tintin replied in a whisper before speaking quicker, a sign of urgency in him. "Oh, I think you mean that you don't have time for this!" She shot back, frustration of everything that was going on around her. Tintin's eyes widened at Chloe's raised voice and stepped back a little while Snowy dipped his ears back. "Chloe..." He murmured, not used to seeing her angry, his heart beat fast in his chest with her eyes focused on him. "It's always about the story isn't it?! You probably just waltzed in here expecting me to be healthy enough to keep going!" She shouted, her cheeks turning red from her raised voice. Tintin opened his mouth to speak but for once no words came out, he forgot that Chloe could raise her voice and whenever she did it threw him off every time. "And you had the audacity to lie about being my fiancé??" She shouted, that hurt her more than she expected it to, she could deal with his obnoxious personality but when he lied it was a different story.

Tintin swallowed the lump in his throat, watching as Chloe yelled at him – he was obnoxious, it was half-true that he hoped she would be alright to continue on but the main reason he came to visit was to see for himself that Chloe was alright, he had panicked a little when she collapsed in the desert and seeing her now was a relief even if she was shouting at him. "Chloe, let me explain!" He pleaded, shifting closer to her. She moved towards the wall on the bed, the sheet still tangled up in her legs and body, "Go away. You've done enough." She coldly replied, taking her eyes off him. He shook his head, sitting on the bed with a determined look on his face, "I'm not leaving you, not for anything Chloe. You know that." He replied sternly, keeping the caring tone in his voice. Chloe shifted uncomfortably, he had struck a nerve in her. "If I need to wait for you to be ready then I will. You're more important than any story, any scroll."Tintin continued, "I've promised to never leave you, Chloe. I'll travel to the ends of the Earth for you, done it before and I'll do it again." His eyes fell onto the opened letter on the cabinet beside the bed, his breath hitched – she had read it. Chloe followed his gaze, feeling guilty for making his eyes shine for something she hadn't done, he picked it up warily and looked at her with all confidence gone.

"You... you read it?" He asked, swallowing the lump in his throat looking into Chloe's eyes, was this why she was being so cold to him? "Sakharine did... I haven't." She replied, sadness and guilt in her voice. Nothing was said for a few moments though Tintin swore Chloe could hear him breathing heavily, feeling his privacy being invaded – it was one thing to threaten his life but to know his feelings about someone, especially before that person knew themselves, was just low. "Do you want to read it now?" He asked, holding it out towards her. Chloe shifted her eyes to look at him, not accustomed to seeing Tintin looking rather vulnerable, even his hand shook a bit. Maybe she should just read the letter, it seemed everyone but herself knew what was in it, but then again... If this contained Tintin's feelings then was she prepared to know them? She had just left Harry and a part of her still wanted to be with him. "Chloe? I-I won't force you to read it, I understand that this might be hard." Tintin spoke, snapping Chloe out of her thoughts, she jumped a little but narrowed her eyes, "I believe I have been through far worse than reading a letter, Tintin." She snapped, it was his turn to jump as he stared at her with shocked eyes. Chloe quickly took the letter from him but before she could start reading it, Tintin placed his hand over hers. "I want to say something first." He said, nerves evident in his voice, Chloe nodded a little silently telling him to continue. "This may change everything between us but... know that I will always be there for you, no matter what."

Chloe felt a blush rise to her face as a small smile tugged at her lips, Tintin smiled back and slowly released her hand from his, patiently waiting for her to open the letter. Snowy barked as if he was urging Chloe to read the letter as well. With a deep breath, she slipped the letter out of the envelope hoping Sakharine hadn't tampered with it, this was it – now she was going to know how Tintin felt about her. The one man she had always held a place in her heart for, the very same one sitting in front of her with hopeful, affectionate eyes. Taking a somewhat deep, calming breath in Chloe let her eyes fall to the neat writing of Tintin.

Chloe,

                I beg for your forgiveness once you read this letter, an engaged woman shouldn't have to know another man's feelings for her. However, I cannot hide my feelings any longer from you. If you choose to end our friendship, then I completely understand but this decision must be yours and yours alone, not his. This confession of mine was written with regret and hopes, regret from not telling you my feelings sooner and hopes that you return my feelings, or at least understand. If you do decide to end our friendship then please know that I will always be here for you and if you choose to marry him then I will be happy for you. My only wish is that you are happy, safe and loved by whomever you love.

Chloe, that day you unwittingly stepped into my life was the day I realised there was more to life than chasing adventures around the world. When I first caught a glimpse at you on the docks, and heard your voice as you played with Snowy – my heart melted, I knew I had to speak to you even if it was only once. At first, I ignored you simply because I didn't know what to say so I greeted Snowy but then I saw yourself making distance, rightfully so. We were complete strangers and not in a typical setting to make a first meeting. When Snowy looked up at you, I knew I had to as well but when I did – I thought I had imagined your appearance. In every sense of the word Chloe, you were beautiful. I figured my eyes were deceiving me, no amount of luck in the world would have graced me with you standing in front of me. I had to repeat my actions, but to my selfish happiness you were still standing before me, probably wondering what a fool like me was doing at that time of night simply staring at this beautiful woman before me.

Your voice is what drew me to you, music to my ears, soon I realised you were a lady of grace. You wouldn't speak to a man unless he introduced himself, so I did which would allow me to know the name of the woman who had made my heart stutter a beat. Your name was perfect, like honey to a sore throat, the sound spun perfectly to you. When our hands touched, I felt something that I never felt before – I suddenly felt vulnerable, weak but strangely elated and at peace. I didn't understand what it meant back then, but now, now I understand. That night, I felt a connection between us, one I would never feel with anyone else. I haven't felt this way about anyone before and in the year and ten months that we had known one another there's no one else that made me feel the way I feel with you.

Chloe, I always believed my occupation as a journalist would never give me the time needed to make a relationship work. I had written myself off with romance at a young age, declaring I was married to my work. But you understood me and my job making plans around my schedule and soon I was making my plans around yours. I fell for you, Chloe. Every morning, from the day I met you, I wanted to see those eyes, your smile and hear your voice, laugh and witness your gentle nature. Even when you read, Chloe, you are beautiful. It sounds like I stare, well I have to admit that I do but not excessively, just when you giggle or gasp as your eyes read each word. You and Snowy are the best of friends, I'm pleased he feels comfortable with you – he picks his companions carefully and I'm glad he wandered over to you that night. I guess Snowy has always known how I felt towards you, he'd run off to your apartment and force me to find an excuse to be at your doorstep all the time. Soon, I was running out of excuses, it wasn't fair to keep my feelings hidden from you.

You probably now view me as a hopeless fool, having the courage to go on adventures sometimes fighting for my life but unable to tell you how I felt. I have probably spent too much time writing a long letter when I should have kept it brief. Chloe, I'm not entirely sure when exactly my feelings were clear but I am in love with you. There's no other way to say it, I could have told you in person but I am a coward in love. Also, I fear your rejection – you are a lady of class, elegance and grace. You need and deserve a man who can be right by your side at your beck and call and I'm not that. I'm not always around and you don't deserve to wait on someone like me. We are the best of friends and I never wanted to jeopardise our friendship, suppose I have now, haven't I?

I am a selfish man, with selfish thoughts and feelings, I couldn't bear for you to leave my life as quickly as you entered it. As you know, I have a close circle of people that I truly care about, you and Snowy the most. I may not ever be romantically involved with you but when I see you with Snowy, I can't help but see us as a couple with our dog. I planned to ask you to give me a chance when we took a break away to the countryside, just us and Snowy, but I became a coward and didn't go through with my plan, I just couldn't. If we remained just friends for the rest of our lives then I was content but I didn't realise that you'd begin seeing Harry, of course you would begin courting. You said on our trip that you were looking for a relationship and unwittingly, I let you go. Not realising how much it would hurt when I saw how happy you were with someone else.

Chloe, I would never ask you to leave Harry for me and I know you are not like that. Don't give up your happiness for me, if you are content with Harry then there's nothing I can do but be your friend. I promise I will never do anything that can make Harry question you, if you want me to take a step back then I will. Your happiness comes first, Chloe. I just wanted to let you know that I love you.

Tintin.

Tintin anxiously watched Chloe read his letter, everything he thought about her was there – his heart and soul now exposed to those greyish green eyes. She was reading slower than usual, half making Tintin feel more appreciated but he also felt more worried – he had jeopardised their friendship for a love he may never receive in return, well not in the way he had hoped for. For once he couldn't read her, she was expressionless, and it made him feel even more uncomfortable – even if it was to yell at him to never see her again – he wanted something from her. To know if she felt the say way towards him or if she only thought of him as a friend. Slowly, she lowered the letter to her lap and on instinct, he reached out for her hand with no response. "Please say something, Chloe." He begged lowly, his heart in his mouth but this time, it wasn't adrenaline – it was waiting for potential heartbreak or his wildest dreams come true.      

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45 1 6
[INCOMPLETE] Rowan is a creature of great misunderstanding. In a world full of Mythical beings, his kind, the Anadin, are heavily hated by the whole...
34.9K 883 14
It's been five years since Hiccup changed the minds of Berk, and everyone is happier for it. It's a more peaceful way of life, and it opens the doors...
36.6K 892 26
(Y/N) (L/N) is a young female writer/journalist who lives along with her pet companion, and best friend, (P/N) in Brussels. The capital city of Belgi...
192 23 13
I always thought Nanna's stories were just tall tales, that is until I got back from uni. I've been away for two years. Away from my home, my family...