Home

"There." Tintin spoke as he helped Chloe out of the plane, she smiled softly as she stood on the pier in the setting sunlight, "Thank you." Thomson and Thompson smiled as they stood side by side, "We have twenty-four hours until Sakharine makes port." Thompson announced, Chloe nervously looked at the detectives – hoping the plan hatched by the four men would work. "To be precise, we have a day." Thomson added, "Well, I believe everything is in order. Gentlemen." Tintin replied as the two detectives tipped their hats in farewell. "What happens now?" Haddock asked, a spring in his step. "I suppose, we wait." Chloe said, "It's all we can do. I, for one, will be going home." Snowy whined at her ankles as if he didn't want her to leave. "Do you want to be escorted?" Tintin asked politely as Haddock looked at her questionably. Chloe sighed quietly, almost inaudibly as her eyes looked up at them, "That would be lovely, thank you." Haddock groaned with the teenagers making soft eye contact, "Is something wrong, Captain?" Tintin asked, raising his eyebrows. "What? No! No!" Haddock flailed in a pathetic attempt to persuade them that he hadn't been making a face. "I think our dear Captain is just tired, Tintin. Where will you spend the night?" She spoke to Tintin before turning to Haddock, a pleasant smile on her features. "You can spend the night at my flat, Captain. It will be far too late to settle you into a hotel." Tintin replied, allowing Chloe to loop her arm through his. "Quite right, laddie, quite right." Haddock said as he walked beside the couple while Snowy proudly trotted ahead.

Mr King had taken his time to answer the door, he opened it a crack fearing intruders when he saw the silhouettes of three figures outside. "Who are you, what do you want?!" He barked, quietly enough to not disturb his tenants. "Mr King, it's me." Chloe whispered loudly, standing right at the door peeking in the door, only open a crack. She saw his faded blue eyes widen before he slammed the door shut making her jump, "That's no way to treat a lady!" Haddock fumed cracking his knuckles, Tintin threw his arm out in front of Haddock before he could charge at the front door. Mr King opened the door hastily and forgetting proper manners, he embraced the caramel blonde with a cry of joy. "Chloe! I was so worried for you!" She giggled lightly hugging him back enjoying the feeling of home that he gave, "I've repaired your flat and filled your cupboards for your return." They broke apart with a smile, his old eyes spotted Tintin and Snowy and another grin of relief broke out on his face. "Tintin!" He called, staggering down the step to wrap his arms around the young journalist's shoulders, squeezing him tightly as if he were welcoming home a lost son. Chloe laughed, louder than normal, with Tintin's reaction as he patted Mr King's back. "I knew you would bring her back, lad!" He gave Tintin a last shake before stepping back and observing Haddock quietly, "Jack King, Miss Hartson's landlord." Offering a hand to Haddock to shake, the Captain took it with an over firm shake, "Haddock, Archibald Haddock." Despite his old physique, he seemed to intimidate Haddock who sheepishly avoided his gaze. "I will see you in the morning, Tintin. Captain. Snowy" Chloe spoke a fond smile on her face, feeling awkward in saying goodbye. They had been through so much, acted as more than friends so what happens now?

Tintin nodded and boldly took Chloe in his arms, their cheeks pressed together as they held one another, Mr King looked half-surprised by the embrace glancing at Haddock who looked ready to exclaim some sort of profanity. "Do not answer the door for anyone apart from us and the Thom(p)sons." He whispered, kissing Chloe's cheek before releasing her. She sighed quietly in bliss, closing her eyes as she allowed the warm, fuzzy feeling course through her veins. Haddock cleared his throat, nodding his head down the street indicating that he wanted to leave. "Go on, Mr Tintin! An old man like myself can look after Miss Hartson." Mr King chuckled, escorting Chloe into the building, before he shut the door he leaned out a little, "Thank you, both of you." With that he shut the door.

Something was rather off about Mr King after he shut the door, it was further suspicious when he told Chloe to wait a moment before he returned with a small box, Chloe's eyes widened with recognition. It was the very box her engagement ring was in, her dress pocket felt very heavy all of a sudden so she pulled out the engagement ring and neatly placed it in the box. "You called off the engagement?" Mr King asked quietly, his eyes well open behind his glasses. Chloe sighed softly, placing the box on the table, "Yes, I did." She answered, a sense of relief washing over her sending a sincere smile to her landlord. "What happened?" He spoke, breaking the silence, "I finally opened my eyes." Still forgetting his manners, and the time of night, Mr King cheered loudly and held Chloe by the cheeks, "I'm sorry but I was hoping this day would come!" Chloe's face flushed while she widened her eyes, was she really that blinded by infatuation not to see what everyone else did. "Mr King!" She protested, her voice failing her as she tried not to giggle pushing his hands away from her face, "It is not proper to cheer on such things!" Mr King grinned in response, taking her hands in his – like a caring father would, "That boy was never good to you, never. Now, Tintin." He spoke, guiding her up the stairs to her apartment, "I've never seen a boy so in love before, reminds me of my wife Anna." Chloe opened her apartment door to see it the way she remembered it – flowers in the vases, pictures on the walls and the furniture in its place. "Thank you." She smiled, hugging him again before stepping inside, "Give him a chance, will you?" Chloe smiled, enough to show her teeth, "I will."

Tintin entered his apartment, allowing Snowy and Haddock to enter before closing and locking the door, "I didn't think you were a messy one, Tintin." Haddock commented, Tintin pinched the bridge of his nose, of course he had forgotten about his flat being ransacked, at least Mrs Finch had cleared away the food from the fridge but she had left everything else. "It's alright, you seen how I live, this is nothing." Haddock smiled, brushing off his last statement as he sat on the armchair with a content sigh. Tintin rolled his eyes as he began to gather up the papers that were on the floor, most were notes and nothing significant. Snowy went from room to room, acting as a sentry before settling into his bed by the fireplace. It didn't take him long to clear up before he began to move the heavier furniture with Haddock helping before he collapsed back into the armchair. "Will you be alright, there?" Tintin asked, lifting his trench coat hearing a rustle of paper. "Aye, though a bottle of whisky will be even better!" Haddock replied, Tintin rolled his eyes again as he stuck his hand in his coat pocket, "No drinking in here, Captain." He spoke firmly, eyes set in realisation when he brought out the letter. The one that was addressed to Chloe, his heartbeat rang in his ears as he looked at the unfamiliar writing.

"Another love letter, Tintin?" Haddock smirked seeing the pause in Tintin, Snowy made a noise as if he were rolling his eyes. "No. It's not." Tintin said mostly to himself, inwardly trying to convince himself that it wasn't what he feared. A part of him wanted to read it while another wanted to preserve Chloe's privacy, it could be from a friend that she was at school with or a family member. He flipped it over to see a family crest, one he recognised immediately. How did he not see it before?! He sat down on his desk, not looking at the fallen lamp as he picked it up, "How could I be so stupid?!" He asked himself in a whisper, oblivious to Haddock and Snowy exchanging a look. Grabbing his magnifying glass he peered at the crest closer – if it was genuine then the initials of the sender would be on it. "P. T. H." He murmured, hand at his chin in thought. Who had those initials? Not Chloe, or her father, or mother. The look of horrified realisation on Tintin's face was enough for Haddock to stand up in concern, "What's wrong, Tintin?" He asked as Tintin shot up grabbing his coat and putting it on, "Tintin!" He called, giving chase with Snowy. "Great snakes! Phillip is alive! I need to tell Chloe!" Tintin replied in a rush, thundering down the stairs ignoring Mrs Finch's complaints as he burst outside with Snowy and Haddock at his heels, "For goodness sake!" She muttered angrily, locking the door and slamming her flat door shut.