Midnight Visit

Chloe sighed as she sunk into her bath, normally she wouldn't soak at a late hour but this was much needed, the hot water and lavender bubbles immediately relaxed her tense and tired muscles. Her eyes drifted shut with relaxation as if every pulse of stress was washed away by the bathwater, the only thing stopping her from falling asleep in the bath was the thought of her warm bed allowing her to sleep peacefully. A smile came to her lips at the thought, with that she left the bath and dressed herself for sleep. Not before pouring herself a cup of sweet tea to get rid of those stray nerves.

The front door was suddenly knocked loudly, "I'm calling the police, ruddy criminals!" Mr King shouted at his door as he picked up the telephone, "No! It's me, Tintin!" A familiar voice called, dropping the phone into its rightful place with a frown Mr King trudged to his door and opened it to see a panting Tintin with Snowy wagging his tail and Haddock leaning on the wall for support, "It's just... me." Tintin breathed, his eyes daring around for Chloe, ignorant to Mr King giving him a stern look. "I must speak to Chloe, it's very important." Tintin rushed out, stepping onto the final step, "It's about her brother." Mr King threw the door open with suddenness, a determined look in his eyes, "Phillip?" He asked in surprise, Tintin nodded with Snowy barking loudly, "Oh for crying out loud, let us speak to the lass!" Haddock complained, not at all happy that his relaxation time was cut very short.

Tintin opened the door gently, hiding his eagerness in seeing Chloe with manners, "Chloe?" He called allowing Snowy to run ahead into the apartment, "I'm here." Her soft voice replied as she hugged her dressing gown over herself, cheeks burning in embarrassment with Tintin seeing her in her nightwear. His eyes widened before he cleared his throat, his fist in front of his mouth, "Um... I think you might need to sit down." Tintin said, gesturing to the couch, forgetting Haddock was standing in the doorway rolling his eyes, "It's just a nightgown, Tintin!" He exclaimed, Chloe's cheeks further burned as she looked between Tintin and Haddock, her mouth opening in shock. "We're sorry for barging in like this. We... I have something important to tell you." Chloe swallowed hard, whenever someone asked her to sit down and had something important to say – it was to announce someone's death. Tintin noticed her tensing and tears building in her eyes, his hands flew to hers kissing her knuckles. "It's not bad news, I promise." He assured quietly, "I promise." Chloe took a few deep breaths to calm herself down looking at Tintin warily. "Phillip... he's alive and he's coming home." Chloe's world suddenly went black.

"... 'men and fainting, Tintin!" A gruff voice spoke loudly, Chloe could feel someone holding her hand as she came to but her eyes didn't open yet. "Enough, Captain!" Tintin's voice barked, gentle enough not to be too loud, "Chloe's brother disappeared before she and I met, everyone thought he had died." He went on to explain, "I think it's a good enough reason to shock someone." The first thing Chloe saw was the side of Tintin's face as he spoke to Haddock, "Aye, well. You could've broke the news better, lad." Haddock spoke, "Well, how would you-?" Tintin retorted before Snowy barked, as he turned his head back to scold him, his cobalt blue eyes caught sight of Chloe's eyes, "Chloe!" His palm resting on her cheek, "Are you alright?" Chloe nodded and sat herself up, spotting the maroon blanket over her legs, Tintin was still protecting her decency. A small smile came to her lips as she looked into his eyes, "Thank you." He nodded in reply to her voice, Haddock sighed, throwing his head back in exasperation, "I had to listen to him worry for twenty minutes and now that yer awake – all ye do is stare into each other's eyes! I can't win!" He exclaimed loudly, both teenagers blushed and broke eye contact with sheepish laughs.

Tintin handed the letter to Chloe, despite being assured she felt no anger that he read the letter, protesting his apologies, "He's been alive, all this time and this is the first that he... writes?" Chloe asked no in a whisper, thumbs rubbing the edges of the letter as she looked down on it. "At least you get to see him again!" Haddock piped in, Chloe's eyes slowly glanced up at him before looking back down, "I was barely fourteen when he disappeared, mother and father would never tell me why... now I do." She spoke sadly, Tintin rubbed her shoulder gently. "He did all of this to marry someone... Abigail Whiltshire... mother never liked her. Said she was too aloof and unreliable for him, Phillip always argued about it but I never thought he'd run away and start a family without telling us... me." Tintin wrapped an arm around Chloe's shoulders pulling her into him while Snowy whined sadly but comfortingly. "But, why are you so upset?" Haddock asked suddenly.

Chloe applied a bag of ice to Haddock's eye and handed him another which he rested on his crotch, she smiled a little at him before angrily turning to Tintin, "Never raise a hand to anyone in my home again." She warned, he nodded while Snowy bowed his head and tail in shame, after Haddock's outburst both Snowy and Tintin flew at him – Tintin giving a punch in the eye while Snowy headbutted a personal area to Haddock. "We're sorry." Tintin apologised, quickly glaring at Haddock out of the corner of his eye, "Phillip will arrive in a week. Do you want to see him?" Chloe nodded twice, she had and wanted to, after all she was an aunt to a nephew, Nicolas. "You and Snowy are coming too." She replied, his eyebrows raised questioningly at her though the appearing smile on his face couldn't be hidden. "Tossed aside!" Haddock shouted with mock upset, "You'll meet him one day, Captain." Chloe assured sitting beside Tintin and petting Snowy. "I'm glad you're ok." Tintin smiled, hesitantly leaning towards her lips as if asking for permission, dejected when Chloe pulled away. "That isn't proper, Tintin! For goodness sake, I am in a nightgown and it's scandalous that I'm entertaining company like this." Tintin apologised with red cheeks and ears while Haddock laughed obnoxiously in the background, "She's told you, lad!" Chloe gave him a dangerous look that ceased his laughter, replacing it with a worried look he coughed into his fist, "Sorry, lass."

Tintin announced the late hour and made his leave, Snowy proudly leading the way out of Chloe's apartment with a wincing Haddock following – having not forgotten his two friends outbursts. "Tintin, wait." Chloe called, gently grabbing his arm he turned with a look of bewilderment until he saw the smile on Chloe's face, the first proper one he had seen in a while. He couldn't help but smile back and resisted taking her by the waist and kissing her. Chloe stepped closer to him, his breath hitched and searched Chloe's face wondering what she was going to do next. While it made his pulse quicken with anticipation, it also worried him, "What are you doing?" He asked, backing up a little only for her to grab him by the coat collar and placing her lips against his. Tintin felt his eyes roll a little as he closed them, gingerly placing his hands on her waist. If Chloe was like this in a relationship then he wasn't complaining, Harry was a lucky guy. Was. That thought made it even sweeter but the best thing was that the girl he was head over heels for, she loves him too.