Last Tears

By Aminaj

Maheen's life has never been awesome. But it wasn't all terrible either. What happens when all that Maheen c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 20

8.4K 730 29
By Aminaj

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

– Dr. Seuss

___________________________________________________________

"Stop fidgeting it'll be alright" Afra said sitting next to a fidgety me on the bed.

"They've been talking for so long" I said my heart beating furiously against its cages. "Do you think they're mad at me?" I asked thoughtfully "This is really unprofessional of me"

I saw Afra chuckle. "Unprofessional; what are you in; an office?" she laughed at me, "Ya Akram and you are perfect for each other and your love for each other isn't wrong; so calm down. And as for my parents; my mum loves you so much she can't possibly say no and my dad...well they're a united front so he won't refuse either. In no time you'll become my sister in law" she grinned at me

"Maama is calling everyone to dad's living room" Abu informed us as he stood by the door before excitedly dashing away.

This was it; I was going to get kicked out of the house and I was going to lose the job I loved so much. Akram and I would never speak ever again. I walked slowly towards my doom and opened the glass doors before stepping into the air conditioned room. Instantly I saw Mr. Ibrahim sitting on a sofa while Akram sat on the arm of the chair and Maama stood in the middle of the room all three wore solemn expressions.

I stood by the door afraid to walk in deeper into the room and watched as Ahmad and Adil strode casually into the room and took seats. Afra motioned me to come with her and sit down but I refused and asked her to sit. She walked ahead and sat with her brothers leaving me standing.

"What's up?" Adil asked "We haven't had a family meeting in forever. Literally; this is the first time" he smiled

"Shut up" Ahmad hit his shoulder playfully and they waited for their mum to speak.

"What is up..." Maama began, "Is that something so important happened in my house and I had no idea" she said looking at me; "Aren't we supposed to not be formal with each other?" She asked sounding...not angry.

I took a chance and looked up to meet her gaze and I saw a genuine smile as she inspected my face. I saw her smile grow bigger at my confusion and she looked towards her children, "Akram is getting married" She announced and the grins broke on their faces. Afra jumped up in excitement and pulled me into a hug "Congratulations" she laughed and I found myself laughing with her.

"Hey Dumbo" Ahmad called, "He's the one getting married" he said pointing at Akram. "You're congratulating the wrong person"

Afra rolled her eyes at him and Maama grinned at his obliviousness. "Our Maheen is the one Akram's marrying" Maama informed the two of them who didn't know and I watched their eyes bulge slightly.

"Well that's a twist I didn't see coming" Adil stated and his family laughed.

"Congratulations" were what I kept hearing for the next many minutes.

"Another important announcement" Afra broke the conversation the family was having. "I shall organize this wedding. I shall marry you both in splendor. Your wedding's going to be the topic of discussion everywhere. Just you watch" Afra grinned and Ahmad rolled his eyes at her.

"You can't possibly handle such a large responsibility" her mum reasoned

"I trust my girl completely" Mr. Ibrahim spoke, "She'll pull it off"

"Thanks daddy" she grinned going over to stand by him. "Uh by the way; you're going to have to splurge. My budget is huge" then ran to me grabbing my hand and pulling me out the room breaking the silent conversation Akram and I had been having.

"Let's go tell your sister the great news" It was when she said this that I realized I didn't know what my mum would think or say about this.

XXX

"Where is my favorite couple?" I heard Maama call from where I was on the corridor trying to find a comfortable shoe to wear. I smiled at how she had been addressing the two of us for the whole week.

"Coming!" I heard Akram call as he emerged from the corridor leading to his room and saw me standing on the opposite corridor. He crossed the little indoor garden with ease and found himself standing beside me smiling. "Ready to go see our possible future house?"

I resisted the urge to giggle or do any of those stupid girly reactions and nodded trying to ignore the jumbled up nervous mess that was my heart.

"There they are" Maama smiled as we joined the rest of the family in the living room. Awwe they're so cute together" she said sounding like a teenage girl, "Aren't they so cute?" she asked her husband who laughed.

Mr. Ibrahim had jumped on the first Saturday that came around and asked all of us to go check the first house he had in mind. I watched Maama, Mr. Ibrahim, Abu and Adil head towards Mr. Ibrahim's car and before I could move towards it too; Afra pulled my hand stopping me.

"You" she grinned "Are going in there" then pulled me towards the passenger seat of Akram's car then opened the door and watched me get in before she waved and went to join Ahmad in his car.

I kept my attention on the streets throughout the ride and was grateful that Akram didn't say anything. I thought about how Maama and I had gone to meet my mother the other day to tell her about the 'developments'. She was surprised I could see but she didn't say anything to show it. She told Maama she had no complaints and then told her about my late father's younger brother who was my waliyy now and that Akram's family should ask him for my hand. I excused them as they made arrangements and came out when Maama was done. I stepped aside with my other and asked her what she felt about it and she gave me one of her rare sincere smiles before congratulating me.

I pulled out my thoughts when fifteen minutes later I felt the car slowing down as we followed Mr. Ibrahim into a new housing estate in a very quiet part of town. He drove slowly down the graveled road before coming to the front of one of the many identical houses. The gates were opened quickly and our cars drove in.

I stayed rooted in my seat in Akram's car while everyone got down from their cars already inspecting the outside of the house wall covered with marble patterned tiles making the building stand out against its painted counterparts.

"What is it?" Akram asked sensing my hesitance.

"I'm just...This is overwhelming" I said chuckling to conceal my nervousness.

"Do you not want to be here?" He asked looking concerned; "Are we rushing you? You should have said something to me"

"No" I shook my head at his worry; "It's not that. This...Let's just say I'm not used to having many reasons to be happy. I don't know what to do with it" I admitted my voice low

"What you should do; is embrace it and be happy" He grinned. "Now; almost fiancé and future wife, let's go see our future house" he said, "Hopefully"

I laughed at his complicated description of our relationship and got out the car the same time he got out. I heard a familiar sound and turned to see Afra holding a camera pointed towards us.

"This is cute" She grinned at the photo of us smiling that she just took.

"What are you doing?" Akram asked as he came around the car to stand beside me and Afra

"I'm taking pictures of the two of you. I'm presenting a slideshow on your wedding dinner" she answered as though it was that obvious before hopping away.

We went forward to join where everyone was headed. The house was well spaced I noticed as we circled it. I mentally calculated about seven to eight cars could fit in. Mr. Ibrahim then went ahead to open the doors of the BQ that was built behind the house and we walked into the two bedroomed building.

"This is nice" Maama commented as she inspected the first room. "I now have somewhere to ship Adil and his friends when they come for those annoying loud sleepovers"

We laughed at Adil whose face contorted after what his mother said.

After leaving the BQ; the kitchen door was unlocked and we walked into the main house. It consisted of five bedrooms; two living rooms one on each floor; a large kitchen and dining area and three balconies with breathtaking views.
It was too much

"So what do you think?" Mr. Ibrahim asked

"It's beautiful. I totally see myself living in here" Afra said

"Well too bad it's not for you then" Ahmad laughed at his sister who grumbled under her breath.

"What do you think?" Maama asked the two of us who had been inspecting the house together. "You like?" she smiled

"Give us a minute" Akram said and motioned me to come out onto the balcony with him. "So...tell me. It's okay if you don't like it. We'll keep searching till you find what you like"

I shook my head. "It's nothing short of beautiful"

"Good. Cause I thought so too" he smiled. I almost melted at how my opinion seemed to matter a lot to him

"But" I said looking down at the trimmed grass that looked even more beautiful when viewed from above.

"But?" he asked leaning against the balcony rails and looking down with me.

"Don't you think it's too much?" I asked

"Why do you think so?"

"There are five massive bedrooms in this house Akram" I pointed out

"So; we'll fill it with junk in time" he shrugged

"I just think we shouldn't let your dad spend so much money on a house for us" I gave my opinion for the first time in a relationship knowing someone was listening.

"I'm buying the house" he said, "Not my dad"

"Oh. I didn't..."

"Yeah he's just making the deal. So don't worry about it okay" he smiled. "If you like it; we'll get it"

I nodded. "You obviously like it"

"Do you?" he insisted and I nodded.

"The area is quiet, safe and very easy to access" I commended and his face broke into a grin.

"Should we get it?" he asked and I nodded again.

We! The teenage girl inside of me began giggling before turning to walk back into the house and he followed after me.

"We like it" Akram announced and the family cheered and Afra took another picture.

'We' I grinned sheepishly

"The moment they got their home" she grinned at the picture.

"Take more of those" Maama instructed. "Our kids are leaving the nest" she said sadly and Afra happily obliged before disappearing into the rooms to take more pictures of the house.

Akram showed me the papers later in the week. The house was in my name.

Our home

XXX

"Outdoor or indoor dinner?" Afra asked randomly as we sat to have breakfast. I was no longer allowed to have breakfast in my room even if Mr. Ibrahim was around; we were all one now as Maama said.

"What?" Maama asked her

"The plans I'm making for their dinner ceremony; should it be inside a hall or outside? In a garden or something"

"Inside obviously" Ahmad said "It's a night event"

"Exactly. And everyone has it inside" Adil agreed

"I too want it to be inside" Maama said

I fixed my eyes on the bread I was spreading cheese on and refused to say anything. This was all very awkward

"What are we voting on?" Akram asked as he joined us on the dining table and I didn't miss how my heart started making summersaults the minute I heard his voice. Fireworks exploded when our eyes met and he smiled at me before greeting his parents good morning.

"Miss wedding planner here is taking polls on where your wedding dinner should be. Outdoor or indoors" Maama informed him.

"What do you say?" Ahmad asked him

"What do you think?" Akram asked

I felt eyes on me and looked up to find out his question was directed at me.

"Hmm?" I asked momentarily distracted by his stare as he waited for my answer

"Where do you want it; inside or outside?" Akram asked me

"Uh...Outside" I said simply

"Then we're having it outside" He said to his sister who grinned before jotting it down somewhere.

I saw how everyone had amused expressions on their faces about Akram's not so subtle move of affection and felt the blood rise in my cheeks

XXX

"And why should I let you see her?" I heard Afra asked her voice coming from right outside my room.

"A man is allowed to see his fiancé" I heard him say.

There went the beating heart

"Mm mm" Afra shook her head, "A man has to pay to see his fiancé"

They had just come back from My uncles' house and this house was bustling with noise of the male relatives of Akram who had gone with him. He had texted me an hour ago.

Akram- Congratulations Fiancé

I remember how my cheeks had tingled because of the word. We were officially engaged an hour ago.

"How much money do you want?" Akram asked his sister who called a price and he handed it to her before she moved out of the way for him to come into the room with her tagging along counting her money a satisfied grin on her face.

"You're back" I say to him and he nods with a cheeky grin.

"You obviously have nothing to say. So leave" Afra commanded him.

"Why are you suddenly being very mean to me? I thought you liked being my sister"

"Oh I do" she grinned. "But your circumstances are such that you and the bride are in the same house and you take advantage of seeing her. I have to reduce your visits"

"Let us be woman. Go find something to distract yourself with" Akram jokingly chastised

"Speaking of doing something; there's something I came here to show you Ya Maheen" She brought out a paper sketch and held it out to me.

I almost gasped at what Afra had designed. The girl had skills; mad skills. I looked at the beautiful sketch of what was going to be my dress.

"This is beautiful" I admitted to her before giving the paper to Akram who asked to see it

"Thank you" she nodded in humility. "Now tell me what color you want it and I'll email it to Kayla. She'll take it to the designers and it'll be done and delivered in a month" she announced proud of her managing skills

"You really are handling this whole wedding issue well" Akram praised her.

"I told you I could do it" She beamed. "Now choose a color I need to email this and leave. I have a meeting with the decorators which I cannot be late for"

I smiled at her official tone in handling all of this and took back the paper from Akram while I thought what color I wanted it to be.

"How about white?" I requested the first thing that came to me.

"That'll fade with the decorations. I need a color that'll make you stand out"

"Yeah that's true" I agreed and began thinking about it again

"How about red?" Akram asked. "It'll make her stand out"

"No..." Afra began telling him but I cut her off

"Red will do fine" I smiled at him and handed her the paper ignoring the mischievous grin on her face.

Akram smiled back saying "Bye" before walking away leaving the two of us alone. I walked back into the room to sit on my bed and Afra followed me.

"Since when is red no longer cliché?" she grinned

"No. It's just that I took your advice" I said refusing to meet her eyes

"Don't put this on me" She laughed. "You just couldn't say no to your fiancé" she said stressing the last word making me blush

"Don't you have a meeting to attend?" I asked

"Oh I do" she grinned. "I'll be back to tease you more later" she said before walking away. "I'm off to make a dream wedding come true!" she yelled in the corridor loud enough for everyone to hear.

XXX

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 902 25
In a world devastated by loss and hardship, a young couple fights against the odds to find hope and reclaim their life. Haunted by the painful memor...
Destiny By AishaUmarYau

General Fiction

267K 29.3K 35
Ameena had not planned on getting her world turned upside down when she agreed to attend her college best friend's wedding on the other side of the c...
107K 4.8K 18
They were only supposed to be acting, it should all have been pretense, so how dare she fall in love. Falling in love wasn't part of the agreement...
2.1K 503 62
Abbah please let me marry him. michael is the man i love. Fatima how can you fall in love with a non Muslim. Michael is a christian and you are Mus...