It's Me, Baby

By PiazzaGirl

Picture this: It’s your first time away from home, you’re on a plane for the first time all on your own... a... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 7

549 26 4
By PiazzaGirl

You have got to be kidding me! No way is Lux in the same class as me. I blink a couple of times and try to regain control of my thoughts.

“Mr. Tyler you are late” The gravelly voice of our middle aged teacher moans. Piercing green eyes glance up and meet mine. I can feel a blush spreading over my cheeks at the fact I’ve been caught staring and I want to look away but I can’t. A smirk spreads across Lux’s face as he takes his time heading down the aisle. As my blush intensifies I look back down at my schedule and let the loose pieces of hair hide my face. I catch the scent of mint and cigarettes as Lux walks past and seats himself in the seat behind Alex.

I look over at Alex who’s staring at me with wide eyes and a smile playing on the corner of her mouth.

“What?” I mouth, giving her my innocent look.

 She shakes her head dismissively and turns her attention to the front, where Mr. Johnson begins talking.

“Welcome back class, to AP Humanities! Since I’m sure over the summer most, if not all of you will have forgotten everything we did before, we’re going to start off simple.

We left off with thinking about creative impulses in us and in others. All I want you guys to do today is, in pairs, choose a creative topic from the one’s I'm about to write up on the board and use this to get to know each other better creatively.”

Mr. Johnson glanced around the room before turning his back and writing the topics on the board, as people turned to their partners and being mumbling. Thank God I was sitting next to Alex!

Once the topics were up, I scanned over them, looking for the best one. My eyes landed on ‘making connections’ and the second I started to open my mouth to mention it to Alex, Mr Johnson’s voice rose over the chatter.

“Now I know you’re all sitting with your friends and normally I don’t have a problem with that but...”

Oh no.

“This exercise is about getting to know people in new and creative ways, which you will not be able to do with a friend, whom you all ready know. So, I would like all of the people sitting on the left side of the desk’s to move up one. These will be your new seats for this semester.”

Oh god. That means Lux will be my partner!

My heart beat sped up a little at the thought of sitting next to Lux for the semester. It made me nervous although I'm not sure if it’s in a good way or a bad way. “I’ll wait for you outside after class” Alex says, grinning and winking at me before gathering her books and moving up a row.

I was in too much shock, I barely even registered that Alex’s vacant chair was now occupied, so when I looked over at the hottie now sitting there I jumped a little.

“Whoa, sorry sweetheart, I didn’t mean to scare you” Came Lux’s husky voice.

I rolled my eyes and snorted. No seriously, I actually snorted. God that must have been so off-putting! Okay, just pretend it didn’t happen.

“Please, I’m not scared of you” I said, trying to sound more confident than I actually was.

He looked down at the desk and let out a low chuckle. “Whatever you say” He retorted.

Before I had the chance to come up with a come-back, the professors’ voice rumbled around the room.

“For the rest of class, find out as much as you can about your new partner. Tomorrow I want a write-up of your discoveries and don’t any of you even think about making it up! This is pair work people! I expect you all to meet up at some point to finish this”

When I turned my head to face Lux, I found him already staring at me. His stare put me under some kind of spell and the tension between us was palpable. I broke away from the staring contest first. It wasn’t awkward it was just... uncomfortable. This boy made me feel vulnerable to say the least.

Since he wasn’t saying anything I began to worry that he may not remember me so I started “Umm... I’m Mia, I’m not sure if you remembe-”

“Remember you? I could never forget that face” He cut me off before I could finish.

My stomach flip flopped at his words and a hot flush flowed throughout my entire body. I probably looked like some kind of demented fish by the way my mouth was opening and closing in shock. But seriously, he had rendered me speechless.

After I regained speech I coughed slightly and looked away feeling slightly intimidated. I mean, he was so forward and confident, I didn’t know how to react.

“Well, we should probably... urm... start the, uh... assignment” Wow this was embarrassing!

I dared another look at him and his eyes were shining with amusement but his expression was serious. “Yeah that’s probably a good idea” He stated matter-of-factly.

Was he making fun of me?

I regained composure almost immediately, determined to come across as confident. “So, yours or mine?” I asked.

The corners of his mouth turned up slightly and his expression was of mock surprise “Wow, a bit forward don’t you think? I mean we should at least go on a date first, right?”

My mouth dropped open and my face felt like it was on fire from the blush that consumed it. Damn, that’s what I get for taking the upper hand!

“Oh! God no, I didn’t mean it like that! I just meant... you know... for the assignment!” I stuttered in horror.

His smile got bigger revealing a set of pearly white teeth, he looked like he was enjoying my embarrassment. “I’m just teasing you” He pointed out.

To him that might make it okay, but the fact he was using my unease for his entertainment annoyed me to no end. Instead of saying anything I scrawled the word ‘Jerk’ onto the piece of paper.

He seemed to become serious after seeing this and cocked his head to the side, scrutinizing me. “Quick to make assumptions aren’t we?”

“I’m just writing what I think” I answered back coldly.

He frowned slightly when I said this and then he picked up his pencil and wrote something on his sheet. I just watched the way his hands moved skilfully across the paper... I wonder what he could do with his hands...

I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw what he had written on his page. There on the first line of the paper, written in script-style handwriting was the word ‘judgemental’.

I shot him an annoyed look and he put his hands up in mock surrender.

“I’m just writing what I think sweetheart” He used my own words against me and he even had the nerve to wink at me!

I sighed in frustration “whatever” I shot back. “Look are we going to do this or not?” I asked impatiently.

He was still smiling when he replied confidently “I’ll be at yours at seven”.

Now look who’s being forward.

“Do you even know where I live?” I asked him hoping to knock back some of that confidence.

It seemed to have the opposite affect though when he gave me a simple “yep” popping the p.

I was about to demand how when I realised it was Tammy’s house. Damn.

He leaned back in his chair casually and folded his arms behind his head. “So Amelia, have you thought of any other ways to insult me?”

“Insult you?” I scoffed “You’re the one making fun of me” I retorted.

He leaned towards me and his was inches from mine in a heartbeat, my breath caught in my throat at his closeness. “I would never make fun of you” He answered sincerely.

 The bell ringing, signalling the end of class caused him to move away and I took in a shaky breath. Standing up, Lux slung his bag over his shoulder. “I’ll see you at seven” He told me before strolling out of the room.

I was disturbed at how much I was actually looking forward to this assignment.

* * *

The next couple of lessons went by in a blur and before I knew it, it was lunchtime.

I still wasn’t too familiar with the layout of the school but I’m sure over time I would be able to find my way around easily.

Since none of the girls were in my last class it meant I had to find my way to the cafeteria on my own. I sucked with directions; I once got lost at the mall and ended up wondering around for over 2 hours trying to find an exit. Seriously, why don’t these schools have maps?

As I closed my locker, I heard a group of girls saying they were going to the cafeteria so I discretely followed them, trying hard not to appear as too much of a stalker.

I was still following behind them when I heard one of the girls say “Did you see that new girl today in the parking lot?” My ears perk up at this and I listened intently so I could hear the rest of the conversation. Maybe I’m not the only new person!

“Yeah, total whore if you ask me” the one in the middle replied.

“Did you see the way the guys were drooling over her? I bet she’s one of those girls who’ll do anyone that so much as looks at her.” A burst of laughter erupted from the group.

Wow, whoever this ‘new girl’ is must have made a pretty bad impression.

The closer I looked at the group of girls, the more I recognized the one in the middle. She looked familiar...

“I have her in my Humanities class, her name is Mia and she’s partnered with Lux Tyler!”

So that was how I knew her.

My body ran cold as I realised the ‘new girl’ they were talking about was me. Oh My Gosh, I haven’t even gone through one day and already people hate me.  

I kept my head down and quickly rushed past my haters as soon as I saw the doors to the cafeteria. I pushed open the doors hastily and tried to hide my shaking hands. Who did they think they were!? They can’t say that, they don’t even know me!

The cafeteria is set up in round tables fit for 6 people but people have obviously moved chairs to fit more of their friends on. A food court lines the right wall and there is a long line of people waiting to choose their food.

I spot Tammy’s table almost immediately since it is right in the centre of the room and I head straight for it, eagerly. Tammy looked up as I got half way there and gave me a wave signalling me over.

As soon as I reached the table I plopped myself down on a chair between Emily and Tammy and breathed a sigh of relief.

Emily looks at me knowingly “Rough day?”

“More like rough people” I groaned.

 “What’s up hun? Want me to bitch slap someone” Tammy asks determinedly.

I laugh in adoration. She’s honestly like my knight in shining armour!

“No its fine, just some girls being bitchy” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“If it’s the girls it means they’re jealous, nothing to worry about babe” Pagan tells me. She is sitting on Jakes lap with his arms snaked around her waist.

Dylan leans forward then and points his gaze at me “Well, if I was a girl, I would definitely be jealous”

I laughed nervously. “Thanks” I said.  Compliments always made me feel awkward because I never knew what to say. It wasn’t that I didn’t like them it’s just that I didn’t necessarily agree with them.

I noticed Dylan was sitting next to Jake; he kept stealing little glances at me when he thought I wasn’t looking. He was cute but he didn’t make my heart race or my breath catch when he looked at me. Not like...

I stopped that train of thought before I even let myself finish. I could not go down that road; I’d only end up with a broken heart.

We all spent the rest of lunch chatting and laughing with everyone and there was lot of play fighting going on with Jake and Pagan, but no one complained. It was actually quite funny. I joined in the conversation here and there but my thoughts were focused on the ‘assignment’ tonight. I don’t know why, but I was excited to find out about the mysterious Lux Tyler.

I decided it was time for a bathroom break before I had to get to class. Problem was, I didn’t quite know where the toilets were... that’s always awkward.

I turned towards Tammy hesitantly “Hey, do you know where the toilets are?”

Before Tammy had the chance to reply, Dylan jumped in “I do! I can take you there”

The whole table grew silent, all looking up at Dylan. I just stared at him with my eyebrows raised “To the ladies?”

Jake was laughing silently and everyone else was just looking at him questioningly, trying not to make the situation anymore awkward.

“Well I won’t actually go in there with you, I’ll just walk you” He defended himself with a slight blush in his cheeks.

Aw he looked cute when he was blushing. There was something about Dylan that made me feel protective of him. Not in a romantic kinda way but in a brotherly-if-you-hurt-him-I’ll-kill-you kinda way. There was a slight nagging feeling in the back of my mind that he might like me, but I ignored it.

“Um okay, thanks” I commented while we both stood up and I followed him out of the cafeteria.

We walked in silence for a minute before Dylan finally spoke up.

He looked slightly nervous about whatever he wanted to say, nothing like the confident and cocky person he had been earlier today.

He grabbed my wrist gently pulling me to a stop and turning me to face him. I glanced down at his hand still holding onto my wrist. His eyes followed my gaze down to my wrist, blushing slightly he pulled his hand away. I tried to resist the urge to wipe the sweat of my arm from Dylan and his sweaty hands.

He looked down at the floor and fidgeted nervously. I kinda felt sorry for him. Still not meeting my eyes he said “The reason I wanted to show you the way was actually because I wanted to talk to you... you know, in private?”

He finally looked up at me with a hopeful expression on his face. 

Wait, was he trying to ask me out!? I hated rejecting people, I felt like a horrible person. I liked Dylan and he seemed so sweet but I’ve only just met him and honestly I’m not really looking for a relationship on my first day of high school.  

“Mia, would you-“

Dylan was cut off at the sound of footsteps echoing along the corridor. I released the breath I hadn’t realised I had been holding and turned to whoever it was that had saved me.

My heart beat rapidly increased as my eyes met those all too familiar piercing green eyes.

Lux reached where Dylan and I were standing, just outside the cafeteria doors. To say that things got awkward was an understatement. You could have cut the tension around as with a knife!

“Lux” Dylan greeted, looking thoroughly pissed off that he had been interrupted.

“Dylan” Lux replied, his gaze never wavering from my eyes. I blushed at the way he was looking at me.

“Listen, I was just about to ask Mia something, so maybe you could just... you know” Dylan widened his eyes and cocked his head to the side, trying to signal to Lux that he wanted him to leave.

Lux finally looked over to Dylan and smirked before replying “Sorry dude, don’t let me stop you” he crossed his arms over his firm chest and looked to Dylan waiting for him to start talking.

Oh, God, could this get any more awkward!?

Dylan looked over at Lux, turning a deep shade of red from frustration. I began backing away quietly towards the bathroom, hoping to make it there before either of them realised. I wasn’t in the mood for a pissing contest; I just wanted to make it through the rest of the day.

Just as I reached the doors, Lux looked over to me and smirked again, revealing that dimple. Sigh.

He turned back to Dylan who automatically puffed his chest out. It didn’t have much of an effect though; Lux was still about a head taller than Dylan.

Although I was too far away to hear what they were saying, I could see Dylan’s reaction from here and he didn’t look too happy as he turned away from Lux and stormed back into the cafeteria. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 643 38
"I'm sorry for hurting you. I'm sorry for being so emotional all the time. I'm sorry for hurting myself the way i do. I'm sorry for pushing everyone...
92K 2.5K 47
Carmela had the perfect friends, the perfect school, the dream life. She was the girl everyone wanted to be and the girl every guy wanted to have. Un...
4.5K 113 14
It's just another regular girl's fifteenth birthday. Or is it? Amanda Skyler, who just turned fifteen, is getting an unexpected birthday surprise tri...
38.9K 238 27
One boy with a problem, Two girls with a secret, and a drama-filled tour. You call that a disaster, while Justin calls it life. When Justin is gettin...