Second Chances

By ClaraBella23

Kuroko no Basket! Kuroko Tetsuya x OC In middle school, she thought everything will be perfect with Kuroko as... More

Information
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Extra: The Reason I Hate Basketball That Time
Teiko: A Day of Clear Blue Skies
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Teiko: Closer
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 5

895 17 1
By ClaraBella23

The practice game between Kaijou and Seirin is way too intense to be labeled just as a practice game. To be honest, I never seen this kind of game where another player is capable of keeping up with a member of Generations of Miracles. 

All this time my mouth is hanging in surprise and shock, We...can keep this up. Kise...really? This is one of the feats I have never seen before. Kagami....got a potential.

Right now, all of us are frozen, especially I, as we all look at Kuroko, being hit by Kise in the face accidentally. 

I instinctively stand up, widening my eyes in anxiousness. "Kuroko-kun!" Both the coach and I called in concern. Seriously, if its possible, I would like to run towards him right now. 

"Referee time out!" 

I placed my hand on my chest, eyes sparkling like I was about to cry or something. Honestly, I don't like seeing Kuroko get hurt or whatever. It always breaks my heart. "Kuroko-kun..."

Though he hurt me... 

Kuroko looks up, his one eye close and bleeding, even Kise was shock on what he has done. He stood up properly, with the captain running towards him asking if he's alright. 

No, obviously not. 

Kise-kun, you....

"I feel lightheaded.." Kuroko answered.

"I-I'll get the first aid kit!" I said, alarmed and trembling, hands frantically searching where on earth did I put my in-case-of-emergency first aid kit. 

My head turned around a bit to check at Kuroko, sweat-dropping and more panicking when I see him fainting...with Hyuga-senpai shouting his name. 

"Why....of all person in the damn court..." I muttered, breathing heavily and still searching for the first aid kit. "...this things are always happening to Kuroko?" 

The others started carrying Kuroko, as they lie him down on the bench with the coach giving him a first aid and me still worrying for him. 

"What should we do?" 

I sighed, caressing Kuroko's pale hand gently and lightly. At first, I was a little bit electrified by my first touch, but soon have courage to continue on what seems to be comforting me. 

"Kuroko-kun can't play anymore.." I said, looking up with them with the same face and the same expression I wore during the time I felt so depressed and life was a hell. 

"We'll have to make do with the members we have left." I heard the coach instructing the players, but I kept my focus on Kuroko, as if fearing that something will happen to him. 

Really, now?

Ugh. Subconscious. 

 He broke your heart, he makes you the saddest person in the whole whole. You looked like a zombie during those days you can't move on and can't accept the fact that the two of you were no longer together. 

That forever doesn't exist. 

And yet now....you still...love him? 

My eyes widen in the thoughts ringing inside my head. Our story ended a long time ago. Why can't I just accept that and be friends with Kuroko again? 

Why can't I just forget him? Forget him and everything that has happened to us.

"Come on." I mumble quietly, gripping Kuroko's hand tightly. "Mari, get a hold of yourself. This isn't the time to think about this thing."

I close my eyes for a second, before putting my hand on Kuroko's forehead. As always, his sleeping face is so kawaii and adorable..that makes me miss him. 

I stand up properly, after giving Kuroko a squeeze in the hand, turning towards the coach and the players, discussing their plan and strategies. 

Things will gonna be tough without Kuroko playing...

"Guys." I called them, arms crossing. "Kise-kun will only copy Kagami-kun's offense. Let us focus on our defense and refrain Kise from scoring." 

All of them look at me, with Riko-senpai smiling proudly like I did something honorable or what. 

"Eh? How about making the gap small? How about scoring?" Kagami asked. 

"I believe in our senpais, Kagami-kun." I answered, also smiling confidently. "Let them score in the inside."

"Are you sure that will work?" 

Hyuga-senpai grew a vein on his head before patting my shoulder. "Come on, Miu's right. It will be fine. Have some faith."

"But-" Kagami tried to protest. 

"I wasn't completely doing anything here." I interrupted him. "I'll analyze the game, interpret it, and make a strategy. But for now, let's have some faith."

"It'll be fine, Kagami!" Hyuga-senpai said, with some creepy force surrounding him. "Listen to what's people saying, idiot. I'll kill you."

That makes Bakagami moves backward with a sweat-drop.

The game has finally continue. I sighed, watching them going in the court again. 

"Sorry.." I mumble to Riko-senpai, eyes glued to the ground, staring at my rubber shoes. The coach made a humming sound, and that only narrows my eyes even more. 

"...for not completely doing anything. This is all the least I can do.." 

Riko-senpai put an arm on my shoulder, giving me a thumbs-up. "Didn't you said it yourself? Have faith for now, let's cool our head and device a plan together. You weren't used to these complications, right? Since you were attending Teiko and all." 

I smile weakly at her. "But I like it more here." I stated quietly, before looking back at the game. "When Kuroko, Kise and I were attending Teiko, victory was given. I don't even have so much work to do...but isn't that not fun anymore? Because winning means your hard work is worth it." 

The coach flashes me a grin. "That's the spirit! Now, let's go back to the game and get some tactics." 

I nodded happily, before glancing at the unconscious Kuroko. 

I never regretted attending Seirin..

******

"There's a minute and a half left in second quarter." Tsuchida stated. "Coach, isn't there anything we can do?"

Coach Riko bite her lips. "They don't have any energy left for plays after the first half's pace. If we only had Kuroko-kun.." 

I narrowed my eyes in response, tapping my pen on the clipboard that I'm holding for a long time. They lost their power without Kuroko..but their offense is somewhat okay...what could possibly stops Kise now...

"Very well." 

All of us widen our eyes on that voice, as we glance around to see a fully awaken Kuroko, standing up slowly. 

"Good Morning." He greeted us, with me sweat-dropping. "I'll be going, then." He said, clumsily walking. 

The coach sweat-drops, blocking Kuroko's way. "What are you talking about?"

"But you just told me to go."

"I didn't tell you to do that. It just slipped out."

"Then I'm going."

"Hey!" 

"If I can change anything by going out there, please." Kuroko pleaded. "Besides...I promised Kagami-kun I would be his shadow."

"S-Shadow?" I repeated, picturing the times were Kuroko and Aomine fist-bump each other and playing basketball together. 

Those memories were one of the happiest when I was still in Teiko.

That, and when Momoi and I gossips about Kuroko while he practiced with Aomine. 

If only I can bring the past again..

Coach Riko sighed. "Fine. But if I think you're in trouble, I'm switching you out immediately."

I watched, with my eyes glistening, as Kuroko walk towards Kagami, nodding to each other. The edge of my lips turned into a small smile, as if it feels good that Kuroko has finally found his true light. 

******

End of the game.

100- 98

I stand up in disbelief from the bench, mouth hanging in disbelief. A buzzer beater? Did it just happened? We..scored..Kagami...dunked over Kise....we win. 

We win!

Does that mean...

"Kise-kun..." I mumble, looking at the blonde guy, his head down. "Kagami-kun...defeated..Kise-kun...He...a generation of miracle....was defeated?" 

"And...we...won?" 

My senses came back to me when I heard Kagami cheering "All right!" along with the others. I don't know what else am I feeling right now. Kise-kun..lose, we, win. 

"Eh?"

I look confusedly at the coach, who nudges me gently on the side. "What's with that shock face, Miu? We should cheer because we win!" She said, giving a thumbs-up to Hyuga-senpai and the others. 

I took a deep breath in relief. Finally and grin at them. "We won! We actually won!!" 

The referee whistles. "Line up." He said, as everyone gathers in the middle of the court for the final line up. "With a score of 100 to 98, Seirin High wins."

"Thank you very much!" 

******

After the lineup, I giggled a little when I saw the Kaijou High coach on the rampage, with the dark aura and stuffs surrounding him. 

"Coach." I called Riko-senpai, who is actually looks like she saw an angel descending from the heaven or whatever. She looks at me curiously. 

"Are you serious about the confessing to you love butt-naked thing?" I asked her curiously, as all of us started walking out of the Kaijou High. 

Riko-senpai giggles, with the flower and shiny things surrounding her. "Of course! Don't you wanna see that? It'll be hilarious!" 

I sweat-drop, inching a little bit away from the coach. Stay away from her. Coach's influential. I grab my phone in my backpack, smiling as I texted Kise. 

To: Kise-kun

It's a great match right, Kise-kun? Staph crying like a child and you should get revenge. Don't worry, we'll meet again in the Interhigh so Seirin and Kaijou can play again. Losing is a part of life, so don't think that it's impossible, the thing that had happened a while ago. It's fineeee okay? 

"Kuroko-kun." I called the bluenette boy beside me. It's better this way...staying as friends..It's also my relief, because I don't feel the daggers stabbing my heart emotionally again when I see him unlike before that, when I heard his name, I feel like I'm going to die from the emotional pain. 

"Yes, Mari-chan?" 

"Let's stop for the hospital. We should check-up your head. Are you feeling fine?" 

Kuroko inspected the bandage around his head and nodded. "I'm fine, Mari-chan." He answered, followed by the sheepish smile. 

I smile at him. "But we need a doctor to check you up." I said, sighing dreamily like nothing has happened between the two of us that I don't want to talk about. "Honestly, I can't believe that we won."

"Me too." 

"But it's all thanks to you and Kagami-kun." 

"Really?" 

"I believe you've found your true light, Kuroko-kun."

"You're my true light, Mari-chan." 

I stopped talking, heat rising up to my cheeks as I blushed fifty shades of red. I slowly look at Kuroko, smiling his rare smile. I wonder if Kuroko just lost his mind from the blow. 

"Kuroko-kun..." 

******

After consulting with the doctor, Riki-senpai gave the others a thumbs-up, telling that Kuroko is fine and there's nothing to worry about. Everyone sighed in relief. 

"Sorry for making you worry." Kuroko said, bowing down. 

"I didn't know what would happen when you fell over." Izuki-senpai.

"Well, I'm just glad you're fine."

Koganei-senpai suddenly cheered, grinning happily. "All right! We won!" 

I smile at them, the happy feeling is rushing inside my body. So...this...is..what..it feels like, huh? So this is what it looks like when you won...

I never felt this kind of winning feeling ever since I went to Teiko. 

"So..this..is..what..it..feels, huh?" I mumble, wiping the forming tears on my glistening eyes. "When..you feel...the true victory..because of your hard work.." 

I felt a light tap on my shoulder, and I look around to see Kuroko. I wipe the remaining tears on my eyes and face, and smile brightly at him. 

******

"Let's get something to eat on the way home." Izuki-senpai proposes. 

"What do you want?" Hyuga-senpai asked. 

"Something cheap, I'm broke." 

"Me too." Kagami joins along.

"So am I." Kuroko agreed.

I sweat-dropped, they're actually planning on eating when they don't know how much their money have? 

"Hold on." I said, all of them stopped walking and turn to look at me. "How much does everyone have after transportation cost?" 

And we collect...no, never mind. It isn't hardly a money to pay for the food. 

"Let's go home." Hyuga-senpai stated, giving up, as everyone sighed in disappointment. Of course, as hungry as I am like them, I also sighed sadly. 

Just as then, the coach grabbed our sulking moments when she blows her whistle. "It's okay. What do you say we go for steak?"

******

"A free...steak?" I asked, observing the obviously big steak being served in front of us on the table. A meteor comically fell down to my head. How am I supposed to finish this....4 kg steak in 30 minutes? Are they somewhat killing me or something? 

"What's wrong? Don't hold back." Riko-senpai stated cutely, and that makes me sweat-drop even more. I'm so so so dead here. 

"What are we going to do if we can't eat all of this?" Hyuga-senpai asked. 

"Isn't that obvious? We're going to be dead and we're going to pay for that." I answered, starting to eat the oily steak, as all of them did. 

After several minutes of trying to eat the devil's steak, I cover my mouth, shake my head and drink water. "I'm sorry, I think I'm going to die young now." 

Kuroko also cleans up and tells everyone that he also gave up. 

"Crap, we're going to be dead!" Everyone shouted. 

And after a few more scary minutes, it seems like everyone of them gave up without finishing half the steak. Well...almost.

"This is delicious! Maybe I'll get some more." 

I sweat-drop, seeing Kagami enjoying his steak. I rested my hands on my chin, looking at him weirdly. Seriously, Kagami-kun, what on earth are you? 

Kagami looks at us and smiles. "Huh? If you're not gonna eat that, can I have it?" 

I mentally face-palm myself, while the others are watching Kagami stuffing his cheeks like a squirrel. 

"Save me the hassle and bring them all over here!"

And that sends everyone taking a deep breath of relief. 

"Kagami, thank you!" 

And that is how Kagami became a savior for tonight. 

*******

After eating the devil's food, we are now outside the restaurant, ready to go home. 

"I think I ate too much." Kagami stated, rubbing his full stomach. 

"You really are a monster." Hyuga-senpai stated. "But you saved us."

"Okay!" The coach said. "Let's go home. Is everyone here?" 

I turn my head from left to right, searching for the invincible bluenette boy. "Eh, where's Kuroko-kun?" I asked them, as we all look for him....but failed. 

"He's not here." All of us said simultaneously. 

"Then, I'll just go look for him." I volunteered, smiling. "Just wait there." 

"Ah, Miu, wait!" Kagami said, running beside me. "I'll come with you." 

"Alright!" I said, as both of us started walking together. 

******

"So both of you were really close friends before?" Kagami asked me, as we walk side by side, looking for the nowhere to be found Kuroko. 

"Um, yeah." I answered, smiling sadly on the ground. I've tell Kagami the story about me and the Generation of Miracles when we were still in Teiko, but left the part out that Kuroko and I were used to be dating. 

"It was fun playing with them before.." I continued, remembering the happy times we had. "Until they grew stronger and stronger and none of them seems to like basketball like they used to."  

I smile, finally looking up at Kagami. "You know, I believe you'll be a good light to Kuroko-kun." I said, but then looks at the ground again. "You reminds me of his former light.." 

"Former light?" 

"He enjoys fighting stronger opponents." I explained. "Though he grew stronger and stronger...until he finally gets bored of the sport he used to love very much." 

Kagami seems shocked. 

I look at him again with a hopeful yet small smile, silently pleading him not to leave Kuroko like what Aomine has done to him before. "So, no matter how good you are in basketball, please, never get tired of playing it."

"Of course not!" Kagami said with a grin, patting my head. "I won't ever grew tired of playing basketball! Especially if I can play with the Generation of Miracles!" 

I stop walking, seeing the familiar blue-haired boy standing in a street court with a blonde boy. "Hey, that's Kuroko-kun and Kise-kun, aren't it?"

We both run towards them, and as soon as we reach Kuroko, Kagami pushes him. "You bastard, why'd you disappear like that?" 

"Kise-kun." I greeted him with a smile. 

Kise smiles at me cheerfully, but then smirks at Kagami. "Were you listening?" 

Kagami grew an irk mark on his head. "As sure hell I was! What the hell are you kidnapping Kuroko for?"

"What? Who cares if I talk with him a little bit?" 

"We can't go home. The coach won't shut up about responsibility or something. We've been looking for him." 

All of us then look at some men confront a high-school students

"Come on, you've had enough. Give someone else a turn!" One of the men said. 

"We just got here. Wait your turn." 

The man smirks. "Then let's just settle this with the basketball." 

"Who are those thugs?" Kagami asked, and we all watched the high-school students obviously being defeated by the thugs.

I gasp, watching as one of the thug kick the high school student on the stomach, then next to his face. Just as when he was about to walk out, he was confronted by Kuroko. 

"There's nothing fair about this." says Kuroko, spinning a ball, and at the process, hitting it at the man's nose. 

"Who the hell are you!? Where'd you come from?"

Oh blast, Kuroko-kun?!

"Mari-cchi, stay here." Kise commanded, with Kagami nodding at me. 

"Wait, you're not going into a fight or something aren't you? the coach just talk responsibilities!" 

I widen my eyes when one of the thug again grabbed him by his collar, obviously pissed off. "What do you think you're doing?" 

The man laughs. "There are still guys like this. Fine, then. Let's settle this with basketball."

Kagami puts his large hand on Kuroko's head.

"Mind if we play, too?" Kise asked.

"Why'd you get involved, bastard?" Kagami added, as the thugs started to tremble..because Kise and Kagami are that amazingly..tall. 

"Five-on-three's fine. Bring it on." 

As the game started, I walked closer to them, speculating the game. I sighed, placing my hands on my hips. "Of course, they're winning." 

And of course, the thugs are wore out, and it's Kise, Kagami and Kuroko's victory. 

*******

After some lectures from Kagami and a praise from Kise, the three of us waved goodbye to Kise (with him finally acknowledging Kagami and started calling him Kagami-cchi) and started walking together. 

"I bet the coach's gonna kill us." I said, laughing. 

"No doubts." Kagami added. 

"Don't lose in the preliminaries.." I mumble, tilting my head up to see the orange sunset. "..that's isn't so easy.." 

"Yes." Kuroko agreed. "But, we can make it if we work hard." 

"Right." I agreed, smiling. "The victory's more happy and accomplished if you paid it with hard work. That's what I learned on today's practice game." 

Kuroko smiles. 

And I'm sure Kagami wonders what on earth is that romantic atmosphere going around here. 

"You!" 

We all turned to the pissed-off Riko-senpai who attacks Kuroko and beat him up. I observe them, worrying if Kuroko can't breath or what. 

"Come on now and let's go home." Hyuga-senpai said, with the others following him. I shrugged, laughing on the way. 

I don't regret going to Seirin....because I have a great team!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 1.4K 37
Hina was sent to America for a few years as her mother did not want her to see her father struggled for the rest of his life with his sickness, they...
391K 7.6K 112
A collection of Kuroko No Basket One-shots! Enjoy~! WARNING: I wrote this back when I was in middle school and not very good at writing. There are bo...
295K 8.5K 47
A girl that is their ideal. A girl that makes their hearts beat faster. A girl that is perfect in their eyes. That girl is you. "No, I d-did not, nan...
84.3K 1.5K 61
MY VERY FIRST ONE SHOTS + WHAT IFS COLLECTION..!! The miracles are major hits when it comes to basketball but, can they handle, LOVE?! Get ready to...