The Meaning Of Eternity (TMOE...

By JuliaLundstrom

Mutilated, dejected and stained by the blood of his loved ones, Lucius Cromwell, a precocious and naïve child... More

Author's note
Prologue
Chapter 1: No place like home, fortunately
Chapter 2: Our secret
Chapter 3: Birthday surprise
Chapter 4: Luck of a Scourge
Chapter 5: The Hydrina theatre
Chapter 6: Spittles and snuffs
Chapter 7: Ilara's day of giving
Chapter 8: To be a drechess
Chapter 9: But you're still remaining
Chapter 10: Eliminations and introductions
Chapter 11: Dyris and Zearis
Chapter 12: Apocalypse approaching
Chapter 13: A hundred spittles, give or take
Chapter 14: Offshore stalkers
Chapter 15: Usurper
Chapter 16: Glorified thug
Chapter 17: You'd be surprised
Chapter 18: Interrogations in the bathroom
Chapter 19: That's funny
Chapter 20: Wrong
Chapter 21: Shallow Reapers
Chapter 22: Toxic
Chapter 23: Dyris' day of light
Chapter 25: Go back
Chapter 26: Tales of the past
Chapter 27: Done with emotions
Chapter 28: Friendly Fire
Chapter 29: No more chances
Chapter 30: Promises
Chapter 31: Never alone
Author's note and Q&A
Character profile: Lucius Cromwell
Character profile: Lord Anthony Hargreaves
Character profile: Tom Reed
Character profile: Richard Ambervale
Character profile: Seth Cromwell
Character profile: Claudia
Character profile: Mabel
Character profile: Samueli Faal
Character profile: Telmo Yanagi

Chapter 24: Off to East Kerilia

2.2K 207 133
By JuliaLundstrom

The discomfort wouldn't stop even as Lucius had safely gotten out of the Entrails area. He would've thought it'd be fine. The market wasn't even that close to the Hydrina theatre, but he couldn't shake it. He'd barely set foot there since that awful day. He'd always sent his Reapers when there was business in the Entrails.

As if the smells weren't nauseating in themselves the memories attached amplified them to such a sickening degree Lucius tried hard to only breathe through his mouth. He did his best to avoid eye contact with the malnourished beggars and streetwalkers, knowing the guilt of finally being better off would be gutting and he didn't even have plans on giving them anything.

Charitable Ilara would've been the last archon to be associated with him.

The worst part of his trip however, was the children. Starving, freezing, and so much like how he'd used to be. Him and the girls. They even used the elevated gangways between the buildings, and Lucius' eyes narrowed as his chest stung.

Why had he insisted on being able to handle it?

He traced his fingers against the vials in his pockets with a barely audible sigh. Tom could've handled going to buy that bloody paralyzing mush he loved so much on his own, but Lucius just had to be stubborn, didn't he?

A movement in the corner of his eye caused him to flinch, but as he turned his head he could see nothing.

"Better not be another scourge cat," he muttered, remembering the last time he'd been running around the Entrails.

"Lucius!"

The pain in his chest faded immediately, and Lucius turned around with a smile at the sound of Anthony's voice.

"Lord Hargreaves!" He raised his hand in a light wave as Anthony walked down the stairs connecting to the elevated parts of town. "Out and about as always. I thought you had a meeting?"

"I did, but it ended early so I figured I'd take a walk." Anthony ran a hand through his hair, which had gone from frizzy rain style to dry, lightly static style.

Lucius hummed.

"So first off, why are you never dressed enough for the weather?" He gestured at Anthony's usual light coat and compared it to his own proper coat and cape. "And second, it seems like you have time for a lot of walks. Are you all just lazing about at the meetings?"

"We're effective," Anthony defended himself as he began walking next to Lucius. "And I like to take time for walks."

Lucius looked around with a frown.

"Even around the Entrails?"

"Well, yes. I actually have a look at the market now and then, should there be something interesting."

Lucius lifted his chin as he remembered.

"Ah, right... And ruining business for that arsenic-selling man."

"What?" Anthony turned his head to look at him and Lucius paled. That part had been before he met Anthony as himself, hadn't it? Back when he'd lived on the streets.

"Uh, I..." What would he say? It was too specific to have guessed. "... I think it was Tom who told me?"

Anthony stared at him for a moment longer, but then turned his head to look forward again.

"Huh."

Lucius pursed his lips. Why was he so careless sometimes? Then again, would there be a problem if he talked to Anthony about his past? Not all of it of course, but after everything that'd happened Lucius had a feeling Anthony wasn't of the judgemental kind.

It just didn't seem like the right time.

"Want to, uh... Stop by Fisherman's?" he asked instead. "Harold receives an order of sticky buns from West Kerilia at the beginning of every other week. They're really good."

"I have to assume as much, since they're from West Kerilia." Anthony nodded. "I can buy."

"Oh, naturally." Lucius put on an impish smile. "They're pretty expensive."

Anthony sighed in resignation but nodded.

"As expected of West Kerilia."

"Leeches as they may be it's not like we have a lot of agriculture options, and they know it."

"Honestly they're all leeches."

Lucius cocked an eyebrow.

"Are we leeches?"

Anthony hesitated before holding up a hand to signal 'a little bit', and Lucius snorted.

They sat down on a bench by the water after buying the buns, and Lucius wrung his hands to keep them warm. They were almost completely alone at that part of the harbor due to the weather. The water had finally frozen, and it was impossible not to get the chills from the merciless gusts of wind.

Anthony seemed fine though, and Lucius had to stare at his thin coat again. What was it made of? Or was he just not a cold person?

It was a nice feeling though, sitting by the harbor and enjoying something sweet. Only thing missing was the soothing sounds of water splashing that the winter just wouldn't allow. The ice wasn't thick and perhaps it'd been different near the ships but as it were Lucius would just have to do without the sounds.

Another movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention and he glared in the direction. Nothing. He was pretty sure it was something small, so he had to assume it was one of the scourge's little blights like that cat it'd sent those years ago. What did it want this time?

"I'm glad you're feeling better," Anthony suddenly said and Lucius blinked, snapping out of his thoughts. "Or, I guess I'm just assuming. But at least you're outside and, you know... Smiling."

"Oh, uh..." Lucius looked down at his bun, stopping to consider it. He wouldn't lie and say he was over the recent events involving the Reapers and Adrian but he supposed he'd started to move on over the past weeks. "It's... Fading, at least."

Anthony nodded while chewing.

"Ah, right," he then said, perking up where he sat and reached into his pocket. "I was going to give you this."

He then held out a golden ring at Lucius, who stared at it in shock as his cheeks reddened.

"... Lord Hargreaves—"

"Oh! Oh, no. No, it's not that." Anthony's smile was apologetic and he reached out further, prompting Lucius to take it.

"Would've been a very awkward time." Lucius uttered a nervous laugh as he received the ring to look closer.

"In your defense I'm great at awkward timings. Besides, who needs rings when we have matching knives, right?"

Lucius chuckled, still flustered but turned his attention to the ring's motif. A fang split in half. The symbol of Anthony's organization.

"Yeah, I don't think this would've been a proper ring for it anyway," he said with an arched eyebrow. "But... Why are you giving it to me?"

"Not so much giving but rather letting you borrow it." Anthony looked awful proud of himself. "There's a more... Casual meeting later tonight. More like a party. And I figured maybe you could go instead of me."

Lucius blinked again.

"I'm sorry... What now?"

"Well, to begin with I'm not that much of a party person, and... I don't know, I was thinking since you're trying to get involved with the higher ups of town maybe you'd like a shot? You know, just talking. Or... I assume they'll have some business they'd like you to forward to me, but really it'll mostly just be mingling."

"Seems kinda... Odd," Lucius admitted, despite his excitement by the offer. "Sending someone else to party for you."

"Well it's not so much me sending you in my place but just... Me sending you to get to know them. I don't think we need to hide that fact." Anthony closed Lucius' fingers around the ring. "If they know I'm supporting you there really won't be a problem. And since it's you I'm sure they'll be thrilled regardless."

Lucius' ears reddened, and he stared down at his closed hand.

"And... This ring would be enough for that?"

"Trust me, that symbol would be a stamp of approval pretty much anywhere in South Kerilia." Anthony smiled, only to have it fade a moment after. "But don't get any ideas. I'll know if you abuse it and you have to return it after tonight."

"Ah. And here I was gonna sell it to the highest bidder." Lucius looked smug as he stood from the bench. "But I guess you'd have Richard hunt me down then?"

"I'd hunt you down personally."

"Well, good luck catching me." Lucius winked in Anthony's direction and began walking along the edge of the wharf as the latter rose from the bench to hurry after him. Before Lucius could turn around Anthony had grabbed his hand to pull him back.

"Think I just did."

Lucius turned to look up at him with a smirk.

"Trust me, I'd outrun you in an instant if I'd actually make an effort."

"Better make that a real proper effort then," a new voice called out from their side, and Lucius' eyes widened as he turned his head.

Not that voice. Not now.

"... Vaughan," he whispered under his breath as he spotted the man further away. A wave of dread and nausea flushed over him and he tried backing away, soon remembering he was on the edge of the wharf.

"This... This is...?" Anthony looked confused as he noticed Lucius' behavior.

"A Reaper." Lucius' voice was barely audible. How could he have been so idiotic? Of course he wasn't safe. Of course they'd find him as soon as he stepped outside. Why had he thought a couple of weeks would change that? "The one who—Who threw me against the fireplace and shot me."

Anthony's frown deepened, and he squeezed Lucius' hand.

"Listen," he said to Vaughan as he took a step forward to stand between the two of them. "I'd advise you to walk away. You really don't want either of us on your bad side."

"No, I'd advise you to back away, fancy man." To Lucius' horror Vaughan held up a pistol, waving it gently to urge Anthony to step aside so he could aim it at Lucius instead.

"Vaughan, you can't get away with something like this," Lucius said, trying to step aside to face his former gang member but Anthony just stepped in his direction to cover him. "There are people close enough to hear it, and it's an open area."

"I'll be far away before the guards get here," Vaughan countered. "You know you didn't just recruit me because I can beat people up."

"It's not worth it." Anthony's voice was slow but loud. "I promise, if any harm comes to him you'll soon regret it. More than you can imagine."

Lucius swallowed. He wanted to believe it. He wanted to trust Anthony's authority enough to make Vaughan stand down, but he also knew a man like Vaughan wouldn't be so easily persuaded. He held no regard to the higher class, and even someone as influential as Anthony would have to be mighty intimidating to make him change his mind.

To Lucius' surprise Vaughan hesitated. His gaze shifted between the two of them and he let out a loud sigh.

"You're right," he said, not without a glare. "I don't want Lord Hargreaves on my bad side."

"Good call." Anthony nodded. "So lower your—"

Lucius' heart almost stopped as the gunshot rung through the air. He glanced down at his body.

Nothing.

"Lo—" He rushed forward as Anthony stumbled backwards. "Lord Hargreaves!"

No. No fucking way.

The shot had hit his chest, and Lucius struggled to think clearly as blood spread across Anthony's coat.

"It's true, you know," Vaughan said, but Lucius barely registered his words. "I don't want Lord Hargreaves threatening me."

Then he fired another pistol, hitting Anthony's stomach and the latter was forced backwards by the impact again, only this time he didn't have anywhere to set his foot and Lucius barely managed to graze his hand as Anthony fell down the wharf.

"N—" His words choked. He couldn't even scream. His mind refused to register what was going on. Cold sweat broke out like a wave over his body and his hands trembled as though trying to act without his mind's consent. He had to do something, right?

He looked back towards where Vaughan had been standing, but he'd already run off. People had noticed the scene and were approaching. It'd been the right call. For Vaughan, that was.

Lucius turned back, and he stared. He wouldn't stop staring at the water where Anthony had broken through the thin ice. He had to come up from there. He had to be all right. They could still fix him up. He just had to be fine.

But nothing happened.

Nothing came out of the water.

"What happened?" A woman hurried up to Lucius as he sank down onto the ground, refusing to tear his gaze away from where Anthony had disappeared. He had no words. "Did—Did somebody get shot?"

He barely managed a nod, and the woman turned to the others to confirm the situation.

Lucius didn't listen to the commotion after that. He couldn't hear anything but his own mind throwing thoughts around in a blur. No matter how he tried he couldn't make sense of them. Nothing made sense.

Anthony couldn't be gone. He'd been right next to him only moments ago. They'd been joking around and walking together, and eating pastries together.

He can't be gone.

He covered his mouth, stifling the one sob escaping him as the situation was sinking in. How could something like that happen? How could things like that keep happening to him every single time he began caring about someone?

His entire body grew cold.

No.

That couldn't be it.

You—You didn't do this, did you?

He waited. Waited for the scourge to tell him it had nothing to do with their pact, but a part of him already knew. He didn't need the actual scourge to come forward to admit it. It had been the plan from the beginning after all. Anthony needed to go for Lucius to rise in power, and the scourge was supposed to make that happen.

But Lucius had changed his mind long ago.

His body convulsed. He couldn't believe it. Anthony was gone, and it was because of him? Because of that scourgefucking pact?

He clenched his fist and punched it at the ground, and again. And yet again. He kept punching until his hand screamed at him to stop and then he sank down even further, almost touching his forehead against the ground. Another sob escaped him and he fought to draw one trembling breath after another.

It would've been fine. He would've thrown away any position if he could've just kept living like he had with Anthony and the other two, but of course not. Of course the scourge would make sure to fulfil its end of the deal in the worst way possible.

Someone touched his shoulder. Someone tried to talk to him and ask about what'd happened, but Lucius heard nothing.

That fucking scourge could've done it differently. He could've lived. Lucius would've found another way and they could've been together. He could've killed someone else of higher power. For Dyris' sake he would've let an entire town hall full of people die if the pact so had required it, but not him.

His vision blurred as his breath began failing him and he squeezed his eyes together.

Not Anthony.

Out of all people, not Anthony.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613K 43.3K 59
Is this your world, Jack? Blood and guns. One wrong step and I might fall. Or worse, Jack. You could die. Stupid. Remember to breathe. Screw being c...
1.1M 36.4K 30
Book 1 in the Creatures series. Everyone knows what happens to mythical creatures when they die. They end up in purgatory, right? Well, that's what...
88.4K 2.6K 12
Rank #345 in General Fiction, March 12, 2016 ----- "Oh, Marcus, Marcus, Marcus..." the demon drawled. "I don't like how you ignore me earlier you kn...
80.5K 5.7K 44
Book One of the Haunted Lover's Duo "People in the real world always say, when something terrible happens, that the sadness and loss and aching pain...