Emma

By vero_rosario

Emma Bennett is your average, everday kind of girl. She's not rich, but not struggling. She goes to college... More

A Full Moon
Getting Too Close
Because You're You
Moving In
Pumpkin Eater
Pants on Fire
Answers
An Emergency

She Is Love

197 8 0
By vero_rosario

"So when are you seeing him again?"

"Tomorrow."

She squeals for me. "I knew it! I knew there was something there. All night, you were giving each other googly eyes, flirting, and all that crap."

I cock an eyebrow, "I detested him during those times. I was most definitely not flirting." I sigh. "Anywho, he's taking me to dinner at some restaurant. I have to dress in something nice. That's what he said anyway."

Tabitha and I are in the powder room in the biggest hall available for rent in town. We're getting dressed into our catering uniforms. A white blouse, black skirt and modest black heels, or that's what we're suppose to wear. I've chosen to wear black tights under my skirt. My friend decided to wear red pumps instead of black and her pencil skirt that may or may not be too short for tonight's event.

As soon as we finish that, we fix our make up. I have to dab the right side of my face carefully to cover the bruise from that blow on Friday night. I usually never wear this much stuff on my face, but I can't walk around serving drinks with a battered face. And I can't afford to not work tonight. To add to my cover, I've also chosen to wear my hair down in my face. I stare into the vanity mirror moving my face this way and that to make sure I got every inch. Once I'm satisfied, I back away.

"So what happened yesterday morning?" She sits me down on the bench and takes the space next to me. "I want every detail."

"Well, honestly, not much happened. He apologized about a million more times. He said he felt terrible about his ass of a brother, and that's on the way to the bar. We didn't have much time to talk after that because he had to go pick up his brother. The bride never found out about it." The corners of my lips curl up, "But right before I drove off, he wanted to make up for the whole fiasco."

She squeals again, "Awe! That's freaking so cute."

I held my hand up, "But... I told him I didn't want to go anywhere if it felt like an obligation."

Her expression drops. Tabitha's hands form fists and she lifts them in the air, but her fingers flex out. "Why would you do that?! I thought you said you were seeing him tomorrow?"

The smile is clear on my face now, "That's when he said he just wanted an excuse to see me again." She snatches me up from my seat and we jump up and down with excitement. "I never thought this kind of stuff could ever happen to me."

"I told you so! I told you so! I told you!" my friend sings as we continue to go in a circle.

After a few moments of girlish joy, we control ourselves.

We are in for one heck of a night. Weddings can get just as bad at the Friday night shifts, sometimes worst than what happened this past Friday. Drunks are welcomed and crazy relatives run rampant around these sort of events. Talk about family drama. And then there's the gossip. The staff hears everything because they act like we're not even there. Which I guess is okay with me. It's not like I know any of these people.

It beats getting hit on.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen at wedding receptions. They do, but they're easier situations to slip out of. Clumps of people to escape behind, other people to serve on the other side of the room, need to refill the tray because it looks empty. I can deal with wedding receptions. I prefer catering and bartending at one then at the restaurant I work at.

People are just starting to arrive to the hall around eight. There's an open bar and I have the first shift on it tonight. I pour specialty drink after specialty drink for countless friends and family members of the newlyweds, who I have yet to see. I do appreciate the occasional soda, water or ice tea, giving the person a genuine smile instead of my business mask.

I admit I get hit on by a few old creepers and even a couple of teenage boys who probably think their God's gift to the world, but it's nothing I can't handle. I keep telling myself that I've been through much worse. Much, much worse, and that'll never happen again. Right? That was just a one time thing? I've been around drunk people before and they've never laid a hand on me. Just thinking about that night makes my right side throb with pain. My breathing speeds up and I feel like I might hyperventilate.

"Emma, Emma," whispers Tabitha on the other side of the bar. "Are you okay? You look pale and you're sweating."

"Umm, I'm okay. I'm good. I'm just a little hot." I look at the time. "Oh, my shifts over. Tell Luke it's his turn. I'm going to take my break. Just outside, really quickly."

"But the toasts are coming up. That's your favorite part." I like hearing the sweet things the couple have to say to each other, and the stupid stuff some of the others come up with. It's quite entertaining. But not tonight.

"I just need some cool air." I see Luke already on his way through the crowd moving to their seats. "Okay, I'll be outside if anyone needs me." And I rush out the back exit before she can say anything else.

Silence. Absolute silence, except for the chirping crickets.

That's just what I need. The air is colder than I expected for a spring day. I can see my own breath, but I don't care. I'm alone to press back those thoughts from before. I haven't really dealt with them yet, but I can wait a couple more days. At least until after tomorrow. After my date. Then I can cry my little eyes out all night before going to class. I don't want to cry in front of Tabitha because she'll get all motherly on me, yet she's only three years older. And I don't want o cry in front of my roommate because she's my best friend, and she knows my parents and will go blabbing. No one else can know about that incident.

The door creaks open and shut. I guess I should've expected Tabitha to come out and see what's up with me. "Hey, sugar. What's wrong?"

I hide my face with my hair. "Nothing. Just ... worried about some of my classes. You know, because of my scholarship."

"Don't worry about school. You're the smartest girl I know." The she folds her arms and sits in her hip. "Now what's really the problem?" When I don't answer, she asks, "Is it about this past Friday? Are you scared he's going to come after you or something? I mean, he has no reason to, because you were dumb enough to not press charges. But don't worry about that."

No, not at all, but that brings on a batch of new fears. Originally, it reminded me of my first serious relationship. He used to hit me if I said something or did something he wasn't okay with. If I was late when meeting up with him, if I talked back when I disagreed. Even if it looked like I was getting too close to another boy, even if he really was just friends. My current roommate saw him do it once and it ended there. I convinced myself I wasn't traumatized, that I could push past the bad stuff, but it did bring on some nightmares, and so did this weekend. But she has no idea about that.

"It just rattled me, you know? I'm okay though. I'll live."

"If you need to talk to anyone, sugar, I'm always here."

"I know. Thanks, but I'm good."

She hugs me once and we remain silent until it's time for us to go in because the break is over. We came right after the toasts are finished and everyone's sipping their drinks. I sneak into the powder room for a second to fix my make up and join her on the floor.

If you're not behind the bar, you're carrying trays full of white or red whines in extremely fragile crystal glasses. But that doesn't bother me. I am a pro at balancing cheap dishes or expensive crystal. I can squeeze my way through any space with such precision, the platter hardly tilts. All I have to worry about is my smile faltering, but that's nothing at all.

"Hey, excuse me! Can we get a drink over here?" asks someone behind me.

I whirl around, and search for the one who called me. Someone snaps their fingers to get my attention. I always hate when people do that to us. We're not dogs. She continues snapping. I see the big white gown and walk over to the bride and groom surrounded by friends or families. I smile while lowering the tray to their level.

And I drop the tray right on top of her dress.

"What the Hell?! Can't you do your job?!"

Right next to the bride is the man who slapped me the other night.

I'm stunned for a moment, unable to stop staring. He doesn't seem to recognize me at first, but I surely won't forget that face for a while. He's angry again, but for completely different reasons. Then I see a flicker of recognition. Once I get control of my body, I bolt for the door, shoving past anyone in the way. I ignore Tabitha calling me, and Luke, and other people on staff and keep going. But once outside, there is the two other men I remember, cackling and by the look of it, drunk yet again. You have got to be kidding me!

They notice me and laugh even louder. Somehow, and I suppose that's just my luck, one of them remembers me from their drunken mischief and makes his way over to me. "Hey, it's that girl who wouldn't dance for him the other night. Hey waitress, we want to talk to you. Come on over to us, we won't hurt you."

Should I go back inside? No, I can't see that other's man face and his pissed off bride. But what other option to do I have? I run to my car. I, stupidly and thankfully, left it unlocked and I lock it once inside.

They reach the car and bang on the window. "Come on out. You still owe someone a dance. Our friend can't have it now, but we'd gladly take one in his place." I climb to the passenger's seat to get away from them, but one walks around to the other side. So I climb into the backseat and hug my knees, choking back sobs and hyperventilating.

Then I hear the back door open. Someone says something, but I can't hear what thorugh my choppy breaths but the banging stops. Oh God, I hope it's not Tabitha. She would be brave enough to face these guy even after Friday.

"What are you two jackasses doing to the car? Do you want to go to jail for vandalism now too?" I know that voice.

The tall burly man laughs out, "It's not the car we're after, man. We're not going to break nothing."

The face I knew peeked in the window, squinting, then turned to shock and confusion, then anger. He turns to the men and spits, "Get the Hell away from here! I don't care where, just go!" He even shoves them away himself before turning back to me. In the gentlest voice, he says, "Emma? Emma, are you okay? Did they do anything?" I shake my head. "Which one? Which question are you answering?" He stands up straight, pressing his hands to his forehead like the other night. He's muttering, "Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap..."

"I'm okay, David," I say softly, but he couldn't hear me.

"Emma, I'm sorry about those idiots. I thought after going to jail, they would have learned their lesson, but apparently not.

Suddenly, I want out of this place. I want to go somewhere. Anywhere not here. But my keys are inside and there is no way I'm going back in there.

I crawl over to the window. "Do you have your car?" He looks thrown off, but nods. I see it on the other side of the lot. "What about your keys?" He goes into his pocket and holds them up.

With that, I get out of my car, grab his hand and tow him to the car. He gets the hint and gets into the driver seat and I in the passenger seat and we drive off. At the first red light, he asks, "Where do you want to go? Home?" He shakes his head and slams his forehead on the wheel, "Ugh, I'm not trying to hit on you right now. You don't have to tell me where you live."

"I... don't want to go home. I want to leave town. Be as far away from them as I can." I look at him with a blank face, "Is that okay?"

"Of course, Emma. I'll take you anywhere you want."

"Thanks."

"Where exactly do you want to go that's out of town though?"

I shrug, looking away, "I don't know. You can choose. If that's okay with you. If you can't think of a place, you can take me home." I look at him again, and notice David's wearing a tux. He looks really nice. I blush and bite my lip out of nerves. "Take me home. I just made you leave your own brother's wedding reception. I feel bad now because you should be there with your family, not here-"

David holds up a hand, "I'm sure no one even knows I'm gone. And I know a place that's pretty private." But he frowns, and drags a hand over his face, "I swear I'm not trying to-"

"I know," I say cutting him off. "I know you're not some sleazy guy trying to hit on me. Somewhere private is... perfect."

He takes us out of town to a big empty field. At each stop, I felt him looking at me, but I only stare out the window, watching as we drive away from the business of the town.

When he parks, I whisper, "Thank you, David."

Without asking, I turn up the radio loud and scan the stations until I find something suitable. I step out of the car and sway to the music with my eyes shut tight, even though it has a fast rhythm. I hold my elbows in my palms, going from side to side, trying to think of nothing but the upbeat music.

I don't care if I look stupid. I don't care if he cancels my date because of this. I plain don't care. I just need to concentrate on the music for a minute.

Then the song ends and I get a crazy idea. He still hasn't gotten out, because he's staring at me with an expression I can't read. Ignoring it, I say with a sheepish smile, "I still owe someone a dance from Friday." He scrunches up his eyebrows and looks perplexed.

"Huh?"

I throw open the door and pull him out into the light of the headlights. He's still a little lost when I place his hand on my hip and I grab his other one. Now we're both swaying to a car insurance commercial. Not exactly romantic, but it feels good to have his hands on me.

David finally becomes coherent enough to speak, "This is what you want to do? Dance like this?"

I drop my hands and my eyes, "Oh, um, I guess we can stop. If you're uncomfortable." I admit, it hurt a little. I can now definitely say the date is not going to happen. He must think I'm crazy or a freak. Ironically, a slow song comes on as I step away toward the car. What's even more ironic is the first line of the song.

I've been beaten done, I've been kicked around,

She takes it all for me. And I've lost my faith,

In my darkest days, she makes me want to believe

"No," he protests, not dropping his hand from my hip. "What I meant was that... let me show you instead."

Now I'm the one whose lost, but I still allow him to manipulate my limbs. David gently pulls me closer. He takes my hands and laces them together behind his neck. Then he presses the left side of my face to his chest and places his hands on my hips ever so lightly. "Is this okay, Emma?"

"Yeah, it is," I sigh, smiling. "This is perfect." The swaying resumes. I press my ear to his chest and now concentrate on the steady beat of his heart. A few left over tears trickle down my cheek, a mixture of joy and sorrow. I feel him kiss the top of my head and stroke my hair before he lays his head on mine. Even when the songs ends and a faster song comes on, we don't let go.

"Feeling better?" I nod, and let out a long breath. I smile even wider and fold my arms and raise on my toes slightly so I could grab my elbows again. Now my head is on his shoulder. "Good." And his hands lace together on the small of my back.

A funny thought comes to mind. "David?" He lifts his head to look at me with his brilliant blue eyes. "If this is how our relationship-" He grins at the word, sending butterflies to my stomach "-is going to be the whole time, I'm not so sure how I feel about this. The whole you-saving-me-all-the-time thing will get old," I tease. He chuckles nervously, rolling his eyes at my attempt at humor. But then he stops, and blushes and looks away. "Is something wrong?"

He turns a darker red, almost matching his hair, "Well, I don't know what I should do." I tilt my head, not understanding. David removes a hand from my back and runs a hand through his hair. "I want to kiss you, but I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of you because you're in a vunerable position after this whole fiasco..." He chuckles nervously again. "You know what, screw it." And he kisses me. Hundreds more butterflies fill my insides, and I feel like I could be floating because of them. David looks me in the eye when he's done, and timidly asks, "Was that okay with you?"

I can't even answer with real words. With a sappy smile, I sigh, "Uh-huh." He breaks out in a huge grin and I lay my head on his chest and continue to sway to the music.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 8 8
Every person that comes in and out throughout our life is clearly destined to give us some sort of purpose in our life. It's just like how these two...
154 12 13
Emma is an average student. She gets good grades and is in a few clubs. She has her life planned out for the future. After high school she'll go to c...
692K 19.8K 49
#𝟐 • 𝐀 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥'𝐬 𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐞. ❝Be my girlfriend, Cassie. And I'm not taking no for an answer.❞ ❝I wasn't going to say no.❞ • When your best...
929K 28.8K 44
Emma White never had the perfect life. Her mother died giving birth to her, her father was always working and never gave her attention, but when she...