Chameleon In New York

By MNJGreenhill

Sydney has managed to rebuild her life from the ashes and forge one that is filled with secrets and half-trut... More

CHAPTER 1 | outed
CHAPTER 3 | friction burn
CHAPTER 4 | the game
CHAPTER 5 | long road to recovery
CHAPTER 6 | what are friends for?
CHAPTER 7 | it had been going so well
CHAPTER 8 | the english rose
CHAPTER 9 | a change in tactic
CHAPTER 10 | first class desire
CHAPTER 11 | murphy's law
CHAPTER 12 | stones
CHAPTER 13 | crimson tide
CHAPTER 14 | you've got mail
CHAPTER 15 | family reunion
CHAPTER 16 | it's never too late
CHAPTER 17 | out
CHAPTER 18 | diesel v statham
CHAPTER 19 | burden of guilt
CHAPTER 20 | cat's out of the bag!
CHAPTER 21 | judgement day
CHAPTER 22 | girl talk
CHAPTER 23 | the speech
CHAPTER 24 | late night walk
CHAPTER 25 | famous last words
CHAPTER 26 | the faire
CHAPTER 27 | double jeopardy
CHAPTER 28 | ben & jerry's
CHAPTER 29 | revealed
CHAPTER 30 | Epilogue
Help Please!!!!!

CHAPTER 2 | the favour

85.7K 3.7K 375
By MNJGreenhill

A/N.  Thank you all for your support.  I was a little astounded at how many of you checked out the first chapter.  It was very unexpected.

In this chapter we learn a little more about Sydney.

Take care and don't forget to vote and comment :)

❤ ℳ

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Sleep had eluded Sydney. Despite her best efforts, her mind had remained alert and chaotic. She had tossed and turned all night, her thoughts festering on the conversation she had overheard the previous evening.

Regretting her agreement to spend the night at Ivy and Victor's penthouse apartment, she propelled herself out of bed and opened the richly appointed curtains. The morning had dawned. A clear blue sky promised another beautiful day. Outside, she could see early morning joggers as they ran laps around Central Park. The lush foliage of the greenbelt was resplendent and vibrant as it showed off its flora in full bloom.

Despite the stunning vista, Sydney was unable to shake her overwrought state of mind. Her sleep had been broken by an accusing and haughty set of steel grey eyes. The one question that had been playing on her mind – how had he recognised her?

She hadn't been Victoria Hutton in the better part of a decade. Victoria Hutton, born into old money on her mother's side, and new money on her father's, was ancient history. The life she knew was forever gone.

She was now Sydney Regas. A change in name and hair colour was all that it took to hide in plain sight.

Truth be told, it hadn't been difficult. Unlike Sydney's older brother, she had rebelled against her parent's constant need to be in the social spotlight. From an early age, she had refused to attend any of the myriads of functions their extravagant lifestyle demanded. The only public photos of her had been when the press had turned up outside her college dorm, demanding to know where her father was. Even then, it had taken the media a while to realise the Hutton's had a second child.

Sydney closed her eyes. The pain, even after all this time was still raw.

Four billion dollars. That was the amount her father deemed was the price at which he would abandon his family, and throw them to the wolves.

David Hutton had chosen to flee the country before he could be arrested for fraud after it was discovered over four billion dollars of investors' money had been lost in fake trades and investments. Many of his investors were forced into bankruptcy, some committing suicide under the strain of the loss.

Penelope Hutton her mother, ever the entitled and temperamental prima donna, and oblivious to her husband's shortcoming, proclaimed his innocence. She chose instead to ignore the overwhelming proof of his guilt.

In her usual flighty and reckless manner, Penelope had taken herself off to a high-priced spa to escape the relentless media circus that was after blood. After being asked to leave, once it was discovered the government had frozen her husband's bank accounts, and she no longer had a line of credit, she returned to New York. To her very vocal and public horror, Penelope had been barred from returning to her prestigious Upper East Side rooftop penthouse. This also had been seized by the IRS.

Ivy, being the executor of the Weymouth family trust, offered her sister use of the family estate in New Hampshire. It was not in use, and would provide Penelope sanctuary from the press, which was more than willing to follow the downfall of a wealthy family.

Despite her sudden decrease in financial security and having to live off the money from the allowance from her trust fund, she continued to spend as if she had access to unlimited wealth.

Had her mother not made such a public display and spectacle, she might have been welcomed back into the social circles of her peers. However, Penelope Hutton broke the one rule of old money. Instead of dealing with the setback with dignity and aplomb and attempting to deflect publicity away from her and her family, she did the exact opposite.

However, by the time the media had moved to another victim, the damage from the fallout of her parent's actions had ensured that the life that Victoria had wished for, would never come to pass.

A light knock on her door broke Sydney out of her reverie. "I'm up," she called out.

Grace poked her head in the door a moment later. "I was half expecting you to have already gone," she said, referring to Sydney's habit of escaping before everyone was up.

"I promised your mom I would stay for breakfast, especially since you had also agreed to stay over," Sydney replied.

"Are you going to tell me what upset you so much last night?"

Sydney attempted to look baffled at the question. "I wasn't upset. What makes you think I was upset?"

Grace raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at Sydney. Her expression clearly indicated that she didn't believe her.

"It was nothing," said Sydney dismissively, and then attempted to change the subject. "I want to hear about your evening. You and a certain Englishman seemed to get on very well."

Grace threw her a look to let her know her cousin knew exactly what she was up to. "He was just being a gentleman, that's all," she said as she sat down on the bed.

"And the fact that he monopolised you for the rest of the evening was him just being a gentleman?" Sydney teased.

Grace avoided looking directly at Sydney, a slight blush marring her otherwise alabaster cheeks.

"So I would hazard a guess you gave him your number?" Sydney prodded.

The incoherent mumble confirmed her theory was correct. Sydney let out a small laugh. "Well compared to the last loser you dated," she said, "this one actually belongs to the human race; and, he's not bad looking. You have my permission to do the horizontal mambo with him whenever you want."

The pillow that came out of nowhere had Sydney on the floor laughing. Another one struck her before she managed to make it all the way to the bed to reach for a pillow of her own.

Both Grace and Sydney halted, pillows held high in the air, as a stern voice cut through their shrieking. "What are you two up to? I'm not really sure that's the most ladylike thing to do with one's pillows."

Not able to keep a straight face too long, they burst out in laughter again as they quickly made their way to the new arrival. "Nothing Aunt Ivy," said Sydney as she wiped the tears from her eyes and proceeded to hug her Aunt good morning. "I was just telling Grace about my plans for the summer."

Ivy looked at the two younger women. It was clear that she didn't believe a word. "Hmm, were you now?" she remarked dryly as she turned and headed back out the door letting them know that breakfast was ready.

***

Both Victor and Ivy were already seated when the cousins entered the dining room a short while later.

"So did you girls, enjoy yourselves last night?" Victor asked as he put his newspaper down and reached for the coffee jug.

Grace nodded as she took a seat at the table. "I'm thrilled we reached our target in donations," she confirmed. "It means that we won't need to cut any of the programs this year."

"I bet that's not the only thing you're thrilled about," said Sydney under her breath.

A moment later she was on the receiving end of glare from Grace for her troubles and a swift kick under the table.

"I thought Eliza's grandson was quite charming," Ivy said, not having heard the interaction. "He had such impeccable manners."

Victor looked up from his paper. "Who's that dear?" he asked.

"You know, Elizabeth Van der Brink. Her grandson and a few of his friends were at the fundraiser. He was such a darling young man," she said and then frowned. "Although, I can't say the same for his friend." Ivy turned to Grace. "What was his friend's name?"

The mention of Mac nearly had Sydney choking on the slice of toast that she had just taken a bite out of. Grace had managed to temporarily take her mind off the arrogant man, only for it to come crashing back in full force.

Grace thought for a moment. "MacMasters, Ethan MacMasters," she finally said.

Victor's head snapped to Grace. "Are you talking about Mac?"

Graced nodded. "I think that's the name Mason said he went by."

Ivy made a disapproving sound from her side of the table. "He's proof that first impressions don't always count," she declared. "He was extremely rude to Sydney. Anyone would think he thought her beneath him."

"Rude or not," said Victor, dismissing his wife's assessment. "He's the President and Chief Operating Officer for the Treadstone Group. That sort of money can let you get away with most things."

And that is why you were so eager to speak to him last night, thought Sydney.

She knew the Treadstone Group was one of the top global investment and advisory firms in the country. Their reach extended beyond US borders. In fact, DB Myers had money invested in their Hedge Fund.

Realisation dawned on Sydney. Oh God, that's why he hates me.

After her father's embezzlement had come to light, and it had become apparent investors had lost billions, those that could, liquefied other investments to counteract the loss. The financial industry was in a disarray, many were pulling funds from three of the major players, temporarily shutting their trading on the stock exchange. Treadstone was the largest affected.

"Are you feeling well?" Ivy said with concern, noticing that Sydney had become deathly pale. "You look a bit peekish."

Sydney gulped, and forced a neutral expression to not alarm her Aunt. "I'm fine, I've just had a big week."

She quickly finished her breakfast and made her excuses. "I really do need to leave shortly. I have a meeting with my agent this morning," she said as she rose from the table.

Victor tossed his newspaper aside and looked up at Sydney. "I'm leaving for the office in ten minutes," she said as he too rose from the table. "I can have my driver drop you off."

True to his word they were on their way within ten minutes.

From the uncomfortable expression on her Uncle's face, Sydney could tell he wanted to discuss a delicate matter but wasn't sure about how to approach it. Having been through this enough times to know how it played out, she waited for him to make the first move.

"Your mother's latest credit statements crossed my desk the other day," Victor said eventually.

Sydney cringed. What's she done now?

"Now, I don't want to tell you how to run your life," he began hesitantly, "but I am concerned that you are overextending yourself to pay for her lavish lifestyle. You do realise you are enabling her bad habits?"

She sighed. This was the same conversation that had been repeated countless times over the years. However, her mother's spending habits would not be curtailed, and Sydney refused to allow Ivy and Victor to continue topping up her mother's deficit. "I know I need to have a conversation with her. But after her last breakdown, I'm just concerned that—"

"Sydney," her Uncle broke in firmly. "You need to live your own life. You're not responsible for your mother or brother. They are adults who should know better. You have spent the past few years paying for the crimes your father committed. It's not right, and you need to put an end to it. You've worked hard to get where you are today, and it kills me to know that you are constantly hiding just out of sight, and allowing those two to continue as if nothing has happened."

She patted Victor's hand and put an end to the uncomfortable discussion. "You know I love you all dearly, but they are my responsibility. No matter what you say."

***

Their conversation stayed with her long after she was delivered to her Gramercy apartment.

She knew Victor was correct, she needed to deal with her mother's irresponsible behaviour. Each time she had attempted to broach the subject, her mother had promised to curtail the spending. In the next breath, she then proceeded to continue racking up expenses at an alarming rate. Her only reaction when confronted had been— "Your Aunt, and Uncle can afford it."

The declaration had devastated Sydney. Not because her mother had no idea that she had been topping up her allowance for the past few years, but because her mother felt as though she were entitled to the money.

Victor, while born into a wealthy Greek shipping family, none the less had to work hard to keep the enterprise running and making a profit. It irked Sydney that both her parents shared a common trait — to disregard and abuse the generous nature of those around them.

However, she found she could not abandon her mother as cruelly as her father had. While Penelope could be viewed as shallow and indifferent, she was still her mother. Penelope had been brought up in the lap of luxury, wanting for nothing and over indulged. Her marriage reinforced and solidified her wealth, to the point she knew of no other life.

Deciding that she had dwelt on her parent's shortcomings for far too long, Sydney refocused her attention on getting back to work.

Much to her relief, her morning and early afternoon had passed in a blur. Stephen, her agent, and one of the few people who knew she was DB Myers, spent most of the time reminding her that she had a deadline for a draft manuscript fast approaching. Sydney promised that her trip to Martha's Vineyard for the summer would allow her the time needed to finish the rest of the book.

She was relieved for the distraction when her phone rang shortly after Stephen's departure.

"Hey, it's just me," Grace sang out as Sydney answered the phone.

From the trivial conversation her cousin started, she knew Grace was leading up to something.

Graced paused and took a breath.

And here it comes.

"I need a favour," Grace finally said in a rush.

I knew it!

"I've been invited to a basketball game."

Sydney let out an uncontrolled chortle. Her cousin and sport did not mix. "That's interesting, you don't know the first thing about basketball."

"It's at one of the corporate boxes at the Gardens," Grace admitted, referring to Madison Square Garden.

Sydney began to grow suspicious. "Exactly who invited you? And what's the favour?"

There was a slight hesitation, and the line went silent. "Mason... Mason Van der Brink just called," Grace said. Her voice came across even and calm. However, Sydney could hear an edge of excitement. "His company is having a function this evening for their key clients, and he's invited us. He's suggested a late dinner afterwards."

"I hardly think he's invited 'us'," Sydney teased.

"Will you come?".

She groaned and closed her eyes. "You don't need me. I'd be the proverbial third wheel."

Grace remained quiet a moment before she tried another tact. "If you didn't want to join us for dinner, how about just coming to the game with me? I don't know anyone there, and it really wouldn't look right if I turned up alone."

She could hear the desperation in her cousin's voice.

Against her better judgement, Sydney relented and agreed. "But only the game. After that, you're on your own."

***

The finals of any sport draws large crowds, eager to support their team. None more so than the NBA finals. Sydney knew that Madison Square Gardens had been booked to capacity, and the fans would trickle in from around the city and across the country, hours before the game was due to start.

Thankful they did not need to fight the crowd to find their way to their seats. Sydney and Grace gave their name to a Security Guard, who then sent them in the direction of the lifts that would take them to the suite level. As they made their way down the long corridor that housed the coveted suites, Sydney couldn't help but admire the artwork that adorned the walls. Sports players and celebrities that had performed at the gardens stared back at her. Grace, used to the luxuries of this type of lifestyle, continued on, bypassing the serving staff as they rushed about their duties.

Sydney soaked in the experience, knowing that this would be a one-time thing.

And you never know when I could need to use this in a story.

She knew they had arrived when Grace's confident steps faltered, and she nearly slammed into her cousin.

She rolled her eyes at her Grace's sudden apprehension. "It's too late to back out now," Sydney said, as she pushed her through the door.

As they entered the suite, a hostess took their coats, and they made their way inside.

The room was already full of guests. Quickly scanning the area, she was thankful that she didn't recognise anyone. Before they managed to get much further, Mason had spotted them, quickly excused himself and headed in their direction. Not once taking his eyes off Grace, his face sporting an ear to ear smile.

"I half expected you to cancel," he said after he had greeted them. "I'm so pleased you could come."

He then looked directly at Sydney as if he suddenly remembered Grace was not alone, "Both of you."

It was fleeting, but Sydney could see the pity reflected in his eyes when he spoke to her. Not willing to meet his scrutiny, she mumbled something incoherent and looked away.

Immediately after she had agreed to Grace's pleading, she had begun to regret it.

I knew I shouldn't have come.

Recalling his reaction to Ethan's disclosure, gave her the slight comfort that he, at least, didn't have the same viewpoint as his friend. It gave her hope that there were some that could see beyond who her father was.

"That's hardly her fault. We all have skeletons in the closet." Mason had finally said after the bombshell had been delivered from his friend the night before.

Sydney's gaze returned to Mason and Grace, who were now deep in conversation. A smile overtook her as she noticed how well suited to each other they were in temperament. It was obvious they were attracted to each other. She was happy for her cousin. However she had begun to feel uncomfortable. She didn't fancy the role of third wheel.

Deciding to allow them time together without thinking they needed to entertain her, Sydney reached for a glass of wine and made her way out the door that would take her to the stadium. The moment she opened the door, the quiet and controlled noise level from inside, gave way to the music and voices of a stadium filling up with eager fans. She made her way up the short flight of stairs and nodded at the attendant. Not seeing anyone else in their area, she took a seat at the front and scanned the arena. Basketball fans, in their team colours, were starting to pile through the doors. Ecstatic and lively expressions were intermingled with anticipation of their team's victory. Thereby, allowing them to have a chance at the ultimate prize – NBA champions.

Sydney had been to concerts and sporting events in the past. However, this was the first time she had experienced it from such a premium position. Glancing over the railings, she froze the moment an icy voice cut through the hum of the arena.

"And whose life are you here to destroy this evening?"

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

A/N.... so what did you think of the second chapter?

Hmmmm Victoria, Sydney, DB ... the girl must get confused!?

At least we know why she was nervous about being recognized.

And I wonder who is the owner of the icy voice? ;-)

Next Chapter out in two days.

Till then, take care and be safe.

  ❤ ℳ  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 240 45
Anne Miller, She has struggled too many troubles in her life in a small age . She was from one of those who never trusted anyone . But when she de...
3.4K 112 10
Snee Hensler the most successful businesswoman. She made her name from scratch after her father's mysterious death. She is not like other women, who...
236 57 9
Gray and Matt, two surgeons vowed to save lives find themselves experiencing love for the first time in their lives but just like every story, love b...
2K 166 25
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...