Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 16 Wedding bells

1K 71 5
By the_hooded_girl

"Again," Cyrus ordered and he lifted his sword again. His opponent, a young soldier in training, nodded and advanced. His strike was blocked and they continued their spar.

Cyrus drove the young soldier in a corner. Perhaps he was a little rougher than usual, but he needed to let off some steam. Besides, these young men were being trained for war. The sooner they developed their fighting skills the better. They would need every man available.

He disarmed the man and pointed his sword under the young soldier's chin. "Your hold on your weapon is weak," he said, "if I were a real enemy, you'd be dead." He lowered the sword and dismissed the man. "Next!" he called.

Pretty soon he was drenched in sweat and five young soldiers were sitting at the sidelines disarmed and discouraged. He still felt restless.

"You are very skilled, prince Cyrus."

Cyrus turned around and looked at the approaching man. He recognized Torcan and nodded at him. "Care to try your weapon, man of Tireze?" Cyrus asked amused.

Torcan smiled apologetic. "I wouldn't want to endanger the treaty by accidentally drawing royal blood."

Cyrus laughed. "You sound very confident that you could defeat me."

Torcan inclined his head. "My king has entrusted me with the safety of his heir and only daughter. Certain skill is required, your highness. I'm sure you have the same faith in your manservant."

"Then you won't mind if I test those skills for myself?" Cyrus asked.

A smirk appeared on Torcan's face and he bowed.

Cyrus signaled for one of the soldier's to hand Torcan a sword and then stepped into the training circle. He whirled his sword in his hand and took a fighting stance. "Let's see what men of Tireze are made of."

***

"You sent for me, my king?" Vara curtsied deep and kept her eyes cast down. She suddenly realized she had spent more time in these quarters the past two weeks than she had in the past years.

"You left the palace grounds today," king Marcos spoke without so much as a greeting.

"I was not aware I was under restrictions," Vara said daring.

"You're not," he said, "but you took lady Ariane with you. I am responsible for her wellbeing for as long as she stays here in my care. She is not wed to Cyrus yet. If anything were to happen to her..."

"She had her guard with her, "Vara protested, "and Octavius was there as well and it was only to Dalós. My friend Eunice needed me. Her mother is not well."

"Octavius has other tasks than to escort you around," the king said coldly, "and it doesn't change the fact that you brought our guests in danger. The roads are not that safe."

"I thought you wanted Ariane to feel at home here," Vara said, "she had been wanting to visit the lake and Cyrus was busy. You told me to keep her company, My king."

"I meant at court and you well know that. What use will it be to her to strike up a friendship with village girls. She needs friends here at court, ladies in waiting and the like. She is a stranger here and this is where she needs to be accepted. At court."

Vara gritted her teeth, but knew she couldn't show her anger. She couldn't afford to push her boundaries any further. The king's patience was wearing thin. Still, she could not help being hurt. "I am also a village girl," she spoke quietly, "one you recently told you'd entrust your kingdom to."

The king sighed. "I did not mean it that way, Vara," he spoke in a calmer tone. These past few weeks had been stressful to him. "I told my son to spend more time with his bride so he can get to know her. She'll still need other young women to get her acquainted with court life, but it will give you the opportunity to visit your friend. And my father and mother have been requesting you visit them. My father especially misses the discussions you have."

Vara curtsied again. "I will visit him tomorrow, my king." It would give her a chance to ask lady Eurydice for a wedding gift for Eunice and Ethan. "My lord," she spoke again, "my friend will be married the day after tomorrow and has invited me. May I go? The invitation was extended to our Tireze guests."

The king smiled amused. "So now you ask my permission?"

Vara blushed and looked down.

"Very well," king Marcos allowed, "you may go. And if lady Ariane so wishes, she may join you. Ask Cyrus to accompany you both and take a guard with you this time." He gave her a stern look.

"Yes sire," Vara said meekly.

"You know what is at stake, Vara. I don't want you to leave the palace grounds unattended again. These are dangerous times. When Cyrus leaves for Tireze, I want you to have a guards with you at all times, especially since Iolaus will be going with him."

Vara sighed. There were days she wished she was still a simple village girl. At least then she would be free to do as she pleased. "I'm sure my king knows best."

"Don't look at me like I've condemned you to prison, Vara," the king told her, "it is my duty to protect you."

"And I am grateful," Vara answered, "you have done so much for me."

He cupped her cheek. "I only want what's best for you. If he were a younger son, I would gladly have you, but I can't. I know you understand. Now go get ready for dinner."

Vara curtsied and left the room. She bit her lip to hold back her tears. She remembered the day she was brought to the palace. She had been nine years old, very confused ad lonely and still grieving for her father. He felt exactly like that again now.

Slowly she made her way down to the courtyard. She wasn't looking forward to dinner tonight. She didn't want to like Ariane. Ariane's brother already had his suspicions. What would happen if the truth came out?

The sound of swordplay came from the training grounds and Vara curiously made her way over. It wasn't usual for there to be swordplay at this time of the day.

Her eyes widened when she rounded the corner and recognized the two fighters. Cyrus and Torcan were circling each other and locking swords. Neither was giving way to the other and judging by the sweat on their bodies, the fight had been going on for some time.

"What is going on?" she asked.

"My lady," one of the older soldiers spoke, "you should not be here. This is no place for a lady. The king would have my head if you got hurt."

"I have complete trust in your abilities to keep me from getting hurt, soldier," Vara smiled, "please answer my question. Why is prince Cyrus fighting with our guest?" And the king had scolded her for endangering the alliance.

"No fight, lady Vara. Merely a spar. The Tireze lad challenged our prince. Prince Cyrus is teaching him a lesson." He smirked. "The boy is holding himself well. Good to know what the soldiers of Tireze are made of. They're going to strengthen our army after all."

"I was assured that the army of Tireze is very strong and capable," Vara commented.

The soldier smiled at her kindly. "With all respect, my lady, but the strength of one's army is better tested through action that believed through words."

"Of course," Vara answered politely. She turned her attention to the two fighters again.

Torcan was slowly but surely driving Cyrus into a corner. Cyrus was gritting his teeth and blocked another attack. Their swords were doing a complicated dance and then Torcan's sword fell from his hand and Cyrus held the tip of his sword against his opponent's throat. He smirked at Torcan and waited until he raised his hands in defeat before stepping away. "Well fought," Cyrus complimented.

Torcan inclined his head. "You too, prince Cyrus."

Cyrus slapped his shoulder and grinned. "I hope you are not too upset."

"You are a very worthy opponent. My lady will be safe indeed."

The smile Cyrus offered didn't quite reach his eyes, but he hid it well. When he turned around, he noticed Vara watching them and he smiled at her warmly. "Vara, what brings you here?"

"The sound of swords hacking at each other," Vara answered dryly, "for a moment I feared you were going to ill our guest."

Cyrus laughed. "He stood his ground. It's good to know Tireze has good soldiers." He looked over his shoulder at Torcan. "We should do this again sometime before we depart."

Vara followed his look and studied Torcan carefully. He had been winning the entire time. How had he lost grip on his sword so suddenly? She decided not to ask about it now, but stored it in the back of her mind for later. "Well then," she said, "if you have settled your issue of male ego, then perhaps we can all get ready for dinner now." She turned her back and walked out of the training grounds and made her way towards her room. She could tell already dinner was going to be a trial.

***

Chloe silently stood behind Ariane and brushed the honey colored locks. It had become a daily ritual. She was still assigned to the Tirzé woman. At least until the wedding. Perhaps even after.
Chloe always felt a little out of place in the presence of lady Ariane. The woman barely spoke a word and even her comments were lifeless and flat. She told herself she had been fortunate, having served both lady Vara and lady Eurydice, who were both kind people. She knew that in some of the noble houses servants were treated as slaves and even whipped. Here at the palace, life was comfortable and pleasant. Lady Vara even spoke to the servants as if they were equals.

Yes, she could count herself lucky. It shouldn't matter to her that this Tirzé princess barely acknowledged her.

But it did.

It made her feel invisible, like she was only an object. And to make things even more awkward, prince Cyrus had ordered her to his room tonight. There was no mistaken his intentions and she had no objections, he was after all quite charming and even generous on occasion, but how could she serve his future bride, knowing the prince did now desire the lady? What would Ariane do if she found out her maid bedded her husband? Ariane would be queen one day. Even as the wife to the prince, she'd have the authority to send Chloe away. If she believed Chloe to be a threat...

It wasn't the first time Cyrus had called on the servant girl.

"Enough," Ariane's voice broke through her trail of thoughts and Chloe obediently put the brush away.

"Help me dress," Ariane ordered and Chloe went to retrieve a gown for Ariane to wear. She didn't speak or ask any questions. She had quickly learned that the lady Ariane did not dignify herself to hold conversation with servants, even in regards of the task they had been given.

She tied the cords of Ariane's gown and stepped away.

Ariane walked up to the mirror and studied herself for a moment. She ran one hand across her gown and sighed, wondering if her betrothed would be pleased with her appearance tonight.

Decisively she turned away from the mirror and left the room. She had been in the palace long enough to find her way around, and she arrived at the dining room a few minutes later. A guard announced her.

The king was already present and rose to his feet when she entered.

Ariane curtsied deeply and kept her eyes cast down. She was the first one here and she was uncertain what was expected of her.

"Please sit," king Marcos spoke, gesturing to one of the recliners.

Hesitantly, Ariane perched on the edge of the seat.

The king smiled at her kindly. "I hear Vara brought you to Dalós today. I do hope you enjoyed your trip."

Ariane bit her lip. "I apologize if it has offended you, your majesty."

"Hmm," the king mused, "I did caution Vara to bring a proper guard with her next time she takes you on an adventure."

Ariane stared at him confused. He was not angry then?

Laughter was heard from down the hall and two women entered the room. One of them was Vara. The other was her maid, Eudemas. When they noticed the king, Eudemas flinched and dropped in a deep curtsy.

"Vara," king Marcos greeted and she walked up to him to kiss his cheek.

Eudemas used the opportunity to disappear to the side where the other servants stood.

Ariane watched it quietly. It was still odd to her that Vara seemed to socialize with her servants so easily. Ariane didn't even know the names of her servants at home, let along what their interests were, but Vara had actually befriended them.

"Is Cyrus not here yet?" she heard Vara ask.

The king took his goblet and drank from it. "He will be here shortly."

"Prince Cyrus Aurelios."

Cyrus stored into the room with Torcan and Iolaus in tow. The last two took positon behind the recliners of their charge as Cyrus sat down next to Ariane after a pointed look from his father. "Good evening my lady," Cyrus said politely.

Ariane blushed and lowered her eyes. "Good evening, your highness."

King Marcos rolled his eyes. "Isn't it about time you two call each other by first name? You are practically wed already."

"If it pleases you," Ariane said softly.

"There is no need to be so formal, child," the king assured her, "you are part of the family now." It was about time his son accepted his fate and started paying attention to his bride. He ignored the annoyed expression on his son's face and ordered the food in. "Tell me, Ariane," he continued, "what do you like to spend your time with? Perhaps Cyrus can make arrangements. We want you to feel at home here."

Ariane looked at him confused. "Like?" she questioned.

"Yes," the king nodded, "Vara here enjoys venturing outside and riding. I know you have a fear of horses, but perhaps there is something else you enjoy? We have a large collection of scrolls. Or perhaps you enjoy gardening?"

Ariane bit her lip. She didn't know what she enjoyed. No one had ever bothered to ask. From birth, she had been groomed to be a good and devoted wife. She could sing, but it was not something to fill her days with. She knew how to read, but it was not something she particularly enjoyed. "I suppose," she hesitated, "embroidery?" It was something her nurse had educated her in.

"Well then," king Marcos said, "Cyrus can arrange for a needle kit and I'm sure my mother has some patterns for you. We will be delighted to see some of your work."

Ariane inclined her head. "Thank you, your majesty."

"Did I hear my name mentioned?" Lady Eurydice smiled amused as she entered the room. She kissed her grandchildren and smiled at her son.

"And to what to we owe the pleasure of your company, mother?" king Marcos asked amused. There was ever only one reason for his mother to appear unannounced. She was plotting something.

Eurydice smiled innocently and seated herself next to Vara. "I only wished to have a meal with my grandchildren. My dear husband is engulfed in his scrolls and I did not want to eat alone." She turned to Vara and took the girl's hands. "And I wanted to give you something. I heard your friend is getting married and I have a wedding gift for her. Come pick it up tomorrow."

Vara smiled at her warmly. "Thank you so much, my lady. That is generous of you."

"Nonsense child," Eurydice patted her hand.

"Eunice is getting married?" Cyrus asked surprised, "aren't wedding usually midsummer?"

"She wanted her mother to be there," Vara answered him.

Cyrus frowned. "Has Antonia taken a turn for the worse?"

"They don't want to take the risk," Vara said.

"I will come with you to the wedding," Cyrus said seriously.

"Yes, you will," the king interrupted, "Vara is going because the girl is her friend. And lady Ariane was also invited. This will be the perfect opportunity for you two to get to know each other better. Also, you two appearing in public will do us good." He gave his son, who seemed less than pleased, a stern look to remind him of his promise to have Ariane escort him wherever he went.

Cyrus gritted his teeth and gave a fake smile. "It will be my pleasure."

A/N Sorry for the long wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 172 32
(Book 2 in The Zoshan Chronicles) [Editing in Progress] What would you do to save the people you love most? How far would you go? On the morning of a...
2K 149 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...
745K 22.6K 40
β€’ BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES β€’ β€’ COMPLETED β€’ β€’ STANDALONE β€’ ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...