The Maiden And The Wolf (Impr...

By Katiewolf

More

The Maiden And The Wolf Prologue (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 1-Part 1 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 1-Part 2 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 2-Part 1 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 2-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 3-Part 1 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 3-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 4-Part 1 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 4-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 5-Part 1 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 5-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 6-Part 1 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 6-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 7 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 8-Part 1 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 8-Part 2 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 9 (improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 10 (improved)
The Maiden And the Wolf---Chapter 11 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 12 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 13 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 14 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 15 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 17 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 18 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 19 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 20 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 21 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 22 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 23 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 24 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 25 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 26 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 27 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 28 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 29 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 30 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 31 (Improved)
The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 32 (Improved)

The Maiden And The Wolf --- Chapter 16 (Improved)

391 5 1
By Katiewolf

*As it took me so long to upload Chapter 15, I thought I'd make it up to you guys with another chapter :) Thank you all for still reading <3 Please vote, fan and comment!*

***Recap***

The slide door slammed shut with an almightily crash that caused the delicate ornate wooden frame to crack and splinter and the paper to tear.           Spinning around Dakota saw no one there but he felt their presence on the edge of his consciousness. Out of now where Dakota's legs were knocked out from under him and he was sent landing heavily on his back. Before he could rise the cold sharp tip of a long knife was gabbed at his throat.                                                   

"Prince Dakota," a harsh icy male voice hissed from close above him, "you will die now."  

Chapter 16

Dakota forced himself to remain calm, his magic was in reach but he was still too weak to control it. Something twisted in his stomach and he felt his muscles clench and contract. With every second that pasted Dakota felt his wolf side growing stronger. His jaw ached like someone was trying to stretch it.               

The blade tip at his throat drew blood as the assassin pushed it harder against Dakota's skin.                                                                                                                        

"You sinful beast!" spat the assassin, "you will pay for your crimes with you retched life though it is one lower then swine!"                                                                        

"You do not know what you are up against, Assassin!" snarled Dakota.               

"Ha, I do know what I face, Dark Prince!" he hissed back, "maybe it is you who thinks so little of I!"                                                                                                       

Dakota spat at the Assassin's face, throwing him off guard, he tore the knife from his hand and kicked the man off him. Scrambling to his feet Dakota braced himself for the Assassin's next move but it never came. Agony cut through Dakota's body, he yelled out and fell to his knees. Red vines of black sorcery began to slowly snake their way around his body, changing it, manipulating it.       

The massive black wolf rose from if a deep slumber, his fury of being caged within Dakota made him wild, clawing at Dakota's mind. The agony was so intense that in momentarily blinded Dakota, he cradling his pulsating head in his hands.        

No. Dakota thought, mentally pushing back at the wolf within him. The wolf throw it's shoulder against the walls that Dakota were constructing around his mind. Howling with rage, causing Dakota's ears to throb and his muscles to quake, the wolf turned and dived back into the realms of thick black unconsciousness around Dakota's soul.                                                                                                                        

The pain subsiding and his body loosened, Dakota looked up and saw the Assassin pressed against the opposite wall. His eyes were wide with disbelieving horror and terror filled tears. His lean trained composed frame shaking and mouth opening and closing lost for words through dread.                                                       

Then Dakota saw it.                                                                                               

Before his eyes the black wolf materialized in a cloud of black smoke and flaming red coils of sorcery. The wolf wasn't whole, its body wasn't solid. It was like a ghost. Its thick pelt seemed to smoke, the scarlet robes of magic continuousness snaking their way around its limps and body the only things keeping the spirit from vanishing. The wolf's form slightly broke apart with each prowling step towards the Assassin it took then the sorcery pulled the dark twisting pieces of smoke together again.                                                                                        

Dakota could smell the fear seeping from the Assassin like poison as he watched the spirit wolf prowling ever closer its paws making no sound on the wooden floor. Its lips brew back from its fangs and its hackles rose like thorns along its spine.                                                                                                                      

"Have mercy..." whispered the Assassin, raising his hands palms up towards the black wolf.                                                                                                                            

The dark spirit stopped, lowering its head so its eyes were on the same level as the Assassin's. It summoned the magic within itself; its materialization out of Dakota's body had given it the strength it needed to speak within the man's confused and terrified mind.                                                                                       

"Mercy is not given to those who would not give it themselves."                           

Its golden eye flashed and the Assassin tensed, his final breath escaping with a sigh from his lips and he slumped forwards.                                                             The spirit stepped back as the body landed with a mumbled thump before its feet face down on to floor. Turning lazily around the black wolf gazed into Dakota's face and grinned maliciously.                                                                                         

"You fear and loathe me," the spirit spoke within Dakota's mind, its voice high and cruel, "because I am you and you are me."                                                                 

The wolf cocked its head to one side; the coils of sorcery curled from its legs onto the floor and began to sliver their way across the wooden floor towards Dakota. In their wake they left behind trails of dark red bubbling liquid burned into the wooden.                                                                                                              

The snakes of dark sorcery were almost upon Dakota now and he could smell the hot boiling of the magic, hear the hissing and crackling and see the piercing black dots for eyes and the forked black oily tongues darting out to catch the scent of their prey.                                                                                                                  

"You maybe part of me," Dakota growled, tearing his eyes from the snakes as they began to coil themselves up his legs, "but that means I can control you and I order you to be gone, now!"                                                                                     

The spirit let out a thick syrupy chuckle and moved with lightning speed towards Dakota and stopped a hairs breath away.                                                                        

"I never go," it sneered, "I'm always within you, always have been and always will until the very last moments of your life when I turn your soul to dark dust. One day you will have to choose if you accept me as part of you and that day is approaching fast."                                                                                                                          

"Leave!" shouted Dakota, his voice echoing around the empty room and up the stone stairs to the inn above. The spirit vanished into nothing but a coil of smoke that slowly swam through the air and into Dakota's chest.                                   

Gasping and clutching his heart Dakota was left feeling cold and sick. The fiery snakes had left burned lines into the floor and his skin was prickling uncomfortably were they had wrapped themselves up his legs.                                          

Looking up Dakota saw the body of the Assassin lying were it had fallen, the fact that a Assassin had been targeting him hardly mattered neither did the shouts or running footsteps above his head.                                                                            

There was someone coming down the stairs. Dakota snapped out of his trance and shrank into the shadows ready to bolt. Forcing his pulse to slow and his heartbeat to quicken, he left out a long breath as he recognized the figure coming down the stairs.                                                                                                

Locke appeared out of the darkness, fully dressed and carrying both their bags over his shoulders. His eyes flashed across the broken sliding door, the burnt floor then the body of the Assassin and his eyes widened.                                                          

Dakota stepped out of the shadows making Locke whirl around wildly and his hand flow to his sword.                                                                                                 

"Calm, Locke, "said Dakota quickly, raising his hands up.                                         

Relaxing and taking his hand off the hilt of his blade Locke stepped towards Dakota and looked him up and down.                                                                         

"What happened?"                                                                                                 

Dakota shrugged wondering where to begin and what to tell him, "that man was an Assassin hired and paid to kill me. He tried-"                                                          

An ear-splitting scream and an almighty crash vibrated through the ceiling above their heads, trails of dust fell from the wooden beams.                              

"We have to go," Locke snapped, throwing one of the bags towards Dakota.       

"What's going on?" Dakota asked, tossing the bag over his shoulder and taking his sword and hunting knives from Locke as he spoke.                                              

"There were men trying to get into the inn," Locke growled as they hurried up the winding staircase, "now, seeing that guy back there, I know their all Assassins too."                                                                                                                          

Dakota nodded, his mouth a hard line but his eyes brightened as Locke handed him to sketch of Elena rolled up and tied with gold string along with his leather waistcoat.                                                                                                                                    

"I think your best to look after this," Locke whispered. Pulling the waistcoat over his bare body and securing the ties he pushed the sketch inside the breast then straightened up and followed Locke up the stairs.                         

Dakota growled in warning as they reached the top of the stairs and stepped out into the passageway and saw the two black robed Assassins opposite.   Locke drew his sword and met the first of the Assassin head on, his blade screeching as it hit the edge of the Assassin's weapon. The second man pulled a arrow from the quiver across his back and fitted the shaft to his bow and took aim not at Dakota but Locke.                                                                                                                        

Snarling with anger Dakota yanked one of the bone handled hunting knives from his belt and throw it at the Assassin as he released the arrow. Controlling the knife with magic, the small blade sliced the loused arrow in mid air then carried straight on and struck the Reaper in the forehead with a spray of blood and gore.            Locke dispatched his opponent with a skilled flick of his wrist, knocking the Assassin's sword off guard and running him through with his own blade all the way to the very hilt.                                                                                                        

Retrieving his knife form the Assassin's forehead Dakota kept the weapon in his hand as he followed Locke down the passageway and turned into the corridor were the rooms lined the length of it.                                                               A scene of chaos met their eyes, there were people running in all directions and the air was thick with pale grey smoke. The flicker of orange flames cut off the exit at the far end of the corridor. The entire lower floor of the inn was in flames. They were trapped.                                                                                      

Coughing and thumbing with the door of their room Locke fell inside as the door suddenly opened. Dakota shot in after him and slammed the door against the mass of writhing bodies and suffocating fumes.                                                              

"What are we going to go?" gasped Locke, the awful taste of smoke in his mouth, "we're trapped."                                                                                                 

Dakota stared around the room then his eyes round the window. Hurrying over to it, he pulled but it didn't budge, it was locked.                                                 

"We're going to have to jump," Dakota shouted over the screams and the crashes of the floor giving way. Smashing the glass with the hilt of his knife Dakota stuck his head out the window, judging the distance to hr ground below.            

"It's too high," Locke warned, looking over Dakota's shoulder, "for me anyway."                                                                                                                                       

Dakota shook his head, "we don't have a choice, ever jump and risk a broken ankle or stay here and be burned to death!"                                                                

Locke glance back at the door and saw smoke was pooling into the room now then back out of the window again. He swallowed then nodded.            

Dakota put one foot on the window sill and his hands on ever side of the frame and readied his legs to leap. Clenching his muscles, he pushed down and throw himself out of the window. Landed like cat on the balls of his feet Dakota straightened up from his crouch and looked up to see Locke standing with his mouth open in disbelief.                                                                                                        

"Hurry!" Dakota called, glancing around and saw the inn was completely in flames now, people were staggering out of the smoke clinging to one another and the flames were beginning to spread.                                                                                                

Locke nervously lowered himself, sitting on the sill of the window, his legs dangling in thin air. Taking a deep breath he pushed himself off the ledge and fell heavily. He landed with a thump and a gasp, rolling over once then groaned and heaved himself up. His hands on his dust covered knees Locke caught Dakota's eye and raised his eyebrows and snapped, "Don't stay anything."                              

Dakota snorted and shrugged, "I wasn't going to."                                                    

Fresh screams cut through the night and Dakota ducked just in time as an arrow appeared through the darkness. Drawing their swords Dakota and Locke readied themselves as three more Assassins ran towards them. Locke swung his sword at the first while Dakota snapped the second's neck with magic and parried the others sword with his own and swung around skilfully and cut the Assassin down without blinking.                                                                                                           

The wolf steered deep within his gut and Dakota clenched his stomach muscles fighting against the presence on the wolf but he couldn't hold it back any longer. He couldn't keep running from something that was a part of him.                     

Locke sheathed his sword, the sound snapping Dakota back to reality for a moment. Leading the way Locke hurried through the confused crowd and towns people running back wards and forwards with buckets of water. Reaching the stables Locke disappeared inside but return quickly on his horse.                             

The animal whinnied at the smell of fire and almost unseated Locke as it jerked forwards wildly almost knocking Dakota over to.                                                

"Dakota," Locke called holding out his hand, "get on."                                             

Pausing for a moment Dakota pushed down his pride and took Locke's hand and heaved himself up behind him on the horse. Kicking the stallion into a gallop they clattered through the streets and out of the town gate.               

They had only made it a few yards outside the walls when Dakota snarled as pain clawed through his body and doubled over. He fell backwards off the horse and landed in a dusty heap on he ground but he hardly noticed his fall.       

Hunched over on all fours, every muscle clenched with agony and denial, Dakota howled as the wolf mentally broke through and began to take hold of his body once again. It was more painful then before probably because it was harder for Dakota to accept. His heart was in denial but his mind knew the truth and had known it all along. He had never been cured only Elena could do that and he had lost her because he hadn't been strong enough to protect her.                                      Vines of burning red sorcery were engulfing Dakota's body now; his clothes ripped and fell in tatters off him. The magic burned the skin off his back and brought thick black fur flowing like water over his flesh. Bones popped and cracked as they reshaped themselves one by one. The agony was so server that Dakota thought he was going to pass out from it but something, the last shred of determination he had left in him, kept him holding on.                                                   

Not wanting to see his face lengthening into a muzzle Dakota clamped his eyes shut tight, screwing up his brow and clenching his teeth. He allowed the tears to fall from his eyes while they still could; there was no longer any shame for him to feel. Nothing matter right then, only the unbearable agony and sheer violation of his curse. Dakota felt like he was being robbed of his final ounce of human compassion and sane fortitude. He was weak and the wolf was strong, that was how it was, how it had always been but until now his proud egocentricity self had made him blind to it.                                                                                       

Locke stared, aghast and nauseated by the transformation he was witnessing before his very eyes. He had seen much repulsive things and seen plenty of magic in his travels but nothing even came close to what Dakota was going through. There was a part of Locke that was strangely fascinated but that smudge of curiosity was masked by incredulous horror.                                                         

The heat of the flames cast by the sinful sorcery stung Locke's face from where he stood staring, unsure of what to do of if he could help. He could no longer see Dakota clearly; he was just a dark shape inside the writhing firestorm that shone a ghostly unnatural deep purple red.                                                   

Everything around the inferno was dwarfed by its spellbinding brightness and ferocity. The emerald green of the spring landscape was dull and lifeless, the flawless inky blackness of the night sky dismally bleak and the twinkling stars and full moon tediously indistinguishable.                                                                                        

Dakota's transformation back into a wolf was finished but still the sorcery refused to relinquish its hold on his body. The light was blinding within the blazing fortress, the noise too was deafening the hissing and spitting of the flames as they took the forms of giant cobras. The monstrous serpents towered over Dakota as they duelled one another sinking their sword length fangs into fiery scaly flesh and slashed wildly with their tail tips shaped like deadly arrow heads.                         

Leaping out of the way of the falling body of one snake Dakota snarled in pain as another caught him from behind. It wrapped its smouldering body around him squeezing the breath out of his lungs. Dakota yelped in pain and struggled but the more he did the harder the serpent constricted him.                               

Hot air blew against his back, buffeting his hair out of his eyes. Then he smelled it, the whiff of cherry blossom and sunshine. The scent that drove his body to the brink of insanity then same the voice that made him fell like his was flying and sinking into a bed of feathers at the same time.                                                       

Turning his aching head he saw the maiden appearing before him, the glow of her arrival making his eyes water. The white beacon around her dimed into the form of the long sweeping dress she wore. Her rich ruby curled hair tumbling down her back and shoulders. She raised her head slowly, her face hidden behind a thin veil of embroidered silk but still her beauty was indisputable.                       She moved towards him with light impressionable steps. Stopping in front of him she raised her slender bare arm and twirled her wrist and the serpent released Dakota from its coils then dissolved into the flames again.                                 

Lifting the veil over her head slowly Dakota stiffened as he looked upon the face of his fate bringer. It was not Elena like he had thought but the sorceress. Her eyes were the same green as Elena only hers spelled danger and mystery while Elena's whispered compassion and hopeful yearning.                                    

"You!" Dakota spat the word out like it was poison.                                       

The sorceress smiled a cruel shrewd smile and her piercing eyes narrowing into snake like slits.                                                                                                              

"Fool," she hissed, "you really thought you could have won so easily. I cursed you for all eternity Prince Dakota and eternity is yet to finish."              

"Why did you create a way for my curse to be broken then if you don't want me free from its eternity of torture?" Dakota asked, his voice carful, he stomach was clenched with fear and loathing towards the woman who stood before him but he knew how dangerous and unpredictable she was.                     

The sorceress laughed a high-pitched hair-raising sound, "Because I wanted you to think there was hope when really there was nothing left for you but death."                                                                                                                                      

"But," Dakota stammered, "I've seen it, I was human, I have found her."            

"Oh yes, there is a cure, you say you have found her, maybe you have but for how much longer. I know and you know it my dear," the sorceress said in a lazy carefree tone, "once she finds out what you have done she will hate you, fear you and despise you. She will never trust you again. Will never love you again."            

Dakota shook his head. "You're wrong," he said, "Elena loves me true and she won't care what I have done. It doesn't matter anymore; I'm not that same person. I have changed. All I want is to be human again and live the rest of my life with Elena."                                                                                                                                                

The sorceress laughed playfully making the hairs on the back Dakota's neck stand on end, "you haven't changed, not really. Humans never do! And she will quickly realize that you not the man she fell in love with."                                          

"Then it's a good job that I haven't thought of myself as human for some time!" Dakota shouted anger and terrified at the same time, "I will prove you wrong! Even if it takes me another three hundred years...Even if it sends me to my lonely death, I have nothing to fear anymore!"                                                                      

The sorceress faced darkened and Dakota shrank back slightly, "your destiny will have the final say in the end Dakota. You can't run from fate. It's just a pity that this Elena won't be around to watch you knee before me and beg like the cowardly dog you truly are!"                                                                                         

She stepped back a few passes, holding her arms wide, palms flowing with magic, a wicked pleased smile playing across her lips, "And that will be you final punishment, Prince Dakota Black Wolf!"  

*** Sorry for the climb-hanger again guys! Please leave a comment below :) <3 ***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 1 30
Warning: Boys love Heavy language Lgtbqia2+ Little of body horror Implied mpeg Blood Not a lot of violence Smut
5.6K 76 28
3.7K 107 40