Mint [H.S.]

By jhildey

SEQUEL TO ADORE (Please read Adore prior to reading Mint) "I never believed in misery, until it was me lying... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue (I)
Epilogue (II)
Who am I? Whats next? (A/N)
MINT DRABBLE #1
Halloween Drabble
NEW HARRY FIC

27

94.8K 3.5K 1.1K
By jhildey

I need your grace to remind me to find my own... All that I am, all that I ever was, is here in your perfect eyes. They're all I can see. 

Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol 

ISABELLA

Jasmine Styles, previously Hemmings, was a very poise woman. She always possessed the ability to handle things with a grace that only she could come up with. I was always a mess when things go to become too much, but Jaz – no, she always found a way to get herself through it. She'd come out the other side with her hair still in place, lipstick smudge proofed and her head

She was a bit of a perfectionist. I never noticed it before until the few weeks that led up to her nuptials. She developed a habit of double, triple, quadruple checking her wedding to do list. Being her maid of honor had been a bit of a struggle when her bridezilla tendencies became a bit too overbearing. Overall she had been prepared.

But she wasn't prepared enough.

The woman that I saw the moment I walked into the lavish washroom was not the same vision of elegance. Sprawled on the ground, her puffy wedding dress fanned out around her and her hair sticking out of place sat Jaz. The veil that had been flown in from Italy (her mother's gift) was sat chaotically on her head. She looked up at me the moment I stepped inside, her tear stained cheeks and blood shot eyes meeting mine.

"Oh Jaz," I cooed, immediately falling to her side. "What's wrong?"

She crawled into my side, immediately burying her head into my shoulder. "Everything is a mess! You know me – you know how I got with everything. I double checked my wedding lists too many times. I made sure to try on everything more times I could count – but I didn't... I didn't with this dress and now it won't fit. It won't zip up! My wedding is ruined," she cried out.

I looked at Jana. A panicked expression painted across her face, she threw her hands out mouthing, "Do something."

Inhaling a deep breath, I pulled away from my crying best friend. "Nothing is ruined. We'll figure something out."

"There's nothing you can do!" She cried out, hysteria etching into her voice. She ran a hand through her darkened hair, tugging roughly at the dyed ends. "I've singlehandedly ruined my wedding because of my incompetence. Ben should go and divorce me now... call up a pre-nup because I'm a disgrace."

"Okay Miss. Dramatic, you're not going to get a divorce over a dress," I said. I picked her up by the arms, pulling her to her feet. She avoided my glance, looking down at her bare feet. "We will get this all sorted."

"Yes dear, let me see your dress. I used to work as a seamstress when I was in uni. Maybe I can fix it," Darla offered her voice so warm and motherly. She placed a kind hand on Jaz's shoulder and gave her a sweet smile.

Jaz huffed out a frustrated breath of air. "There's no hope Darla. It's hopeless."

She shook her head, patting Jaz's shoulder. "You don't know that until we try. Now," Darla paused and looked over to Jana. "Please give me the dress and let me get started."

Jana nodded. She walked over to where a white dress bag hung the words GIVENCHY printed across. She handed it to Darla, eyes wide and hopeful. Darla took it out of her hands and walked off to where a chair and vanity sat, laying the bag against the table top to get to work.

"Okay. Now to get you all fixed up," I pulled Jaz to the other side of the vanity. Gently, I pushed her onto the chair.

She groaned, throwing her head into her hands. "I probably look awful."

"This isn't your best look, no. It's okay, we'll get you fixed up. Let's start by wiping those tears away, okay?" Taking a tissue, I dabbed lightly against her cheeks. She sniffled.

"I can't believe I cried over a dress," she sighed. "What is wrong with me?"

I laughed. "Nothing is wrong with you. You're a bride, this is your special day... it's okay."

Jaz sighed. Her trembling hands shook against her lap. The diamonds of her rings glistened underneath the bathroom light. I watched silently as she looked down at her hand, a content smile tugging at her lips. She fiddled with the rings with her other hand.

"It was a beautiful wedding," I broke the silence. She looked up from her post-wedding daze, her lips now tugged up into a full smile. She laughed, breathless, and shook her head.

"It was pretty something, wasn't it. I can't believe he's my husband. I'm now a Styles girl..." She laughed. It was airy... breathless. "I think it's starting to really hit me. I'm a wife."

Jana and I both chuckled. I looked over at her. She leaned against the wall. Her arms folded against her chest. She rolled her eyes and smirked, "Not shit, Sherlock."

Jaz pouted, "I'm only saying that I'm no longer a Hemmings. It's weird."

I shrugged, careful to not smudge her lipstick as I applied it to her lips. "It's not that weird. It's the beauty of getting married. You get to take on a whole new name... a new life... sure you still have your old life and your family... you'll always be a Hemmings girl at heart... but now – now you get to make a new family. Your own family... with this guy that you decided was worthy enough to have not only your heart but, well, everything. I don't know. I think it's pretty beautiful. Marriage and stuff..." I rambled, dabbing Jaz's lips with a final gloss.

I took a step back, admiring my work. I flinched when I noticed that both Jaz and Jana were looking at me, smirks on their lips.

"What?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable all of a sudden.

Jaz was the first to speak. Her smirk growing as she turned her head to face the mirror. She fixed her hair, taking a few loose bobby pins and tucking in the stray hairs. She looked at me through the mirror, her smirk not once wiping away.

"Noticed that you and Harry have been cozy all night... when did that happen?"

I felt my jaw grow slack before standing up straight, "What do you mean?"

"Oh don't act clueless," she laughed. "We're not stupid. Something happened between you two. Now spill."

I took a glance at Darla. She was looking down at the dress, as she fiddled with a needle in her hand. But the subtle smirk on the edge of her lips was a clear indication that she was clearly eavesdropping.

"We're... I don't know. We talked and... we're working on it. I guess. I don't know. It wasn't his fault... everything that happened. It wasn't his doing... it wasn't his choice," the worlds tumbled out of my mouth; a jumbled mess of sentences.

"What do you mean it wasn't his fault?" scoffed Jana. "The arse walked out on you without even a goodbye. I'd say it was all him... and quite frankly, you're an idiot if you let him right back in your life. Not after-"

"Jana," yelled Jaz, interrupting Jana. "Stop!"

"I'm just saying..." she shrugged.

I held my hand out. "It's fine," I told them both. "I get it... but it really wasn't him. It was my dad. He did all this." I threw both hands out, gesturing wildly in front of me.

"I'm confused..."

I turned my head to Jaz, taking a seat on the now free chair. She leaned her head against the mirror as she watched me attentively.

"My dad had this whole elaborate plan to take Harry away from me. He was following me... well us ... all around London. He hired a private investigator to take photos of Harry and I. When we were home for New Years, he confronted Harry. He showed him all of the photographs and then threatened to get a restraining order if he didn't leave me alone," I explained, leaving out Harry's plan to propose.

"That's fucked up," Jana put in bluntly.

"He couldn't do it anyways considering I'm an adult, but I guess he has connections or something," I continued. "My dad is a very powerful man and he knows that. For some reason he has this vendetta against my relationship with Harry and is determined to ruin it. Harry didn't want to cause any more trouble so he left. He knew that if he said something then it would cause more problems than he wanted... so he left. Sure it wasn't the best decision, but I can understand why he did it."

"Your father did this," said Darla perplexed. "That's horrible."

I shrugged, "He's always been a harsh man. I never thought he'd go this far but I guess I didn't know him as well as I thought."

"Family can surprise you," agreed Jaz. "I'm sorry bub... I'm glad that you two are working things out."

I smiled, recounting last night. It had only been twenty four hours since everything has happened, but it's felt so much longer.

"Someone's blushing," Jaz giggled, poking my cheek. "Something happened between you two?"

"We're working things out," I said, feeling my cheeks grow hot. "It's good to have him around again."

"What are you going to do about your dad?"

"Not sure," I shrugged. "I'm kind of focusing on what's going to happen after this wedding. I go have to go back to New York. I found a job at the bookstore at the university and I can't leave now especially with school starting up in the next month."

"What about Harry," asked Jaz. Before I could answer her question (even though I wasn't too sure I really could... considering Harry and I haven't talked about it yet), Dara stood up from her chair.

"Sorry girls, but I'm going to need you to try on your dress," she said to Jaz, handing her the hanger where the dress hung from. "I released some of the seams a bit so it should zip now."

"Oh. Alright," she sighed, taking the hanger and walking towards the largest stall. For now this conversation will have to be on hold.

-

Twinkling lights shined above us as we danced under its iridescent glow. I found my way back in Harry's arms. The musky scent of his cologne felt like home. The way his arms fit around my body felt safe. His warm breath against my cheek felt comforting as he sang softly to the words of the eighties love song.

"I've missed this," the words tumbled out in a breathy sigh. I felt the vibrations of his chuckled against my neck. His warm lips moved down my neck in a few quick pecks before he pulled away just enough to look at me.

"I've missed you," he said instead, a familiar smirk tugging at the edge of his deep pink lips. "Now, can I kiss you?"

I blushed. There was no way that I couldn't. The way that he looked at me, dreamy eyes staring like I was the only thing that mattered in the world. The payed no mind to the possible repercussions of kissing in public. I didn't think about the pros and cons of it. The last thing that was on my mind was whether or not we were going too fast. We had already went farther than a simple kiss. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted him to. With a small nod, I said yes.

His lips quirked up into a very pleased smile before moving his head in slowly. They brushed very gently against my lips. The brief contact sent a wave of goosebumps over my body. The familiar sensation of his lips on mine resurfacing.

Oh how I've missed him.

The kiss is over before I know it. A few pecks and prolonged kiss on the forehead is all that he gives me, but it's enough to tide me over.

We continue to dance. Our bodies moving languidly against the music. I wasn't sure if the song was fast pace or if it was a slow song. We were in our own world... our own bubble... his hands holding me close to his body, my arms wrapped loosely around his neck. We danced and we danced until my feet began to ache and my mouth felt a bit dry.

I looked around the room. A few couples swayed and danced around the floor. A group of young girls, Maddie included, giggled and moved around off beat to the pop song blasting. There were only a few people still sat around the hall. Many had found their way to the dessert table while others moseyed outside to where a Photo Booth sat.

Ben and Jaz were dancing and laughing in the opposite corner - lost in their own world. Her change of dress fit her body perfectly. Darla's handiwork had been just what she needed. She was an angel in disguise, that woman. We would have been in a pickle if it hadn't been for her. The quick fix worked, allowing the silky fabric to fit around Jaz... including the girls.

She looked beautiful. There was never a moment I thought she wouldn't. My best friend is a catch.

I couldn't ignore how parched I felt. My mouth only growing dryer the longer we danced. "I'm thirsty," I hinted, hoping that Harry would go and get us some drinks. He sighed. He pulled my hands down from his neck and interlaced our fingers together.

"Let's go and get you something to drink then."

We walked hand in hand to where the bar was. It was a small set up with only one bartender. He smiled and greeted us as we walked up to where two empty stools stood. I took a seat on one of them eager to rest my feet.

While Harry ordered our drinks, his arm remained slung around my waist, his hand resting on my hip. I sat patiently as he spoke to the bartender, cracking a joke or two. It was unusual of him... a complete one-eighty from the man that I knew before.

Harry was a reserved guy. He liked to stick to himself or a close knit of friends. He wasn't one to go out of his way to stir up simple small chat with a bartender. I watched in quiet awe as he retold a story about how one of the groomsmen - Elliot, Ben's best friend from university, had split his pants while jumping during a groomsmen photo.

The bartender chuckled while Harry retold the story. His drawled out voice going into every detail. As unusual as it was to watch, it brought a bit of happiness to my soul. He was growing. This was clear evidence of that.

Once we received our drinks and Harry tipped the bartender (quite generously, might I add...) we walked back into the reception hall. With Harry's fingers laced with mine, I led us to an empty table.

It only took two seconds for my drink to slip out of my hand. Harry's body staggering forward, his grip loosened with mine. I gasped, the cold liquid from my vodka twist seeping through the chiffon fabric of my dress.

I watched in shock as Chase pushed Harry once more, causing him to topple into a neighbouring chair.

"What the fuck," grunted Harry. His whiskey splashed over the floor.

Chase moved over to where Harry stood, his body stumbling as he walked. He swayed from side to side. The alcohol that he had consumed over the course of the night clearly taking its toll on his body. Chase wasn't one to hold his alcohol well. I had learnt that over the time we were together. He was a bit of a light weight. He wasn't one to get angry whilst being drunk, but he did tend to be overly emotional... over emphasize his emotions.

"You -" he slurred. His finger moved up to Harry's face as pointed at him accusingly. "Yer not 'spose to- t'be ere... y' fucking prat. Y'er supposed to be gone..."

Without much thought, I moved to where they were. "Chase, stop... please. Don't do this here... let it go. Please."

He ignored me, pushing me to the side with his shoulder. I stumbled over my heels and fell into a nearby chair. Harry's arm moved out for me instantly. A protective grip found it's way to my wrist. He pulled me over to him. I stood behind, moving closer to the table behind us, hoping to find some form of safety.

"Watch yourself mate -" warned Harry.

Chase laughed - a mocking howl that sent a harsh shiver through my spine. "M'not your mate - mate. M'sick of your bullshit" the words tumbled out of his mouth in a rushed, drunken slur while his voice grew louder in volume. "You come 'ere n'take everything that I have. You took m'best friend. You take ... you take her -" I cowered back as he pointed towards me. "I still love you, Bella... but you c'mere and take everythin' from me. I'm fuckin' over it."

His eyes bulged in rage. His body standing straight as he took a step forward. His arm lurched forward, confident, as his curled fist meets Harry's mouth. An audible gasp escapes my throat as Harry falters to the side. I'm still, unable to move, as I watched in horror. Harry's hand moves instinctively to his mouth. I cringe once I noticed a few drops of blood fall from his fingers.

Harry doesn't do anything. He stood still... his body taut and tense. I watch as he curled his hands in and out of a fist, before he shook his head slowly. He doesn't move though - doesn't falter or flinch when Chase goes in for another blow. His fist barely glances at Harry's chin before someone pulls him back.

Mark's arms hold Chase in place. His face is red in anger as he stumbles slightly. Chase's body too drunk and unsteady in his arms. "What the hell is going on here -" he demands. His voice carrying but not loud enough to disrupt the rest of the party.

Harry doesn't say anything. His forehead is furrowed but his eyes speak another story. He moves his thumb along the cut on his lip. He flinches, but it's barely noticeable.

"Time for you to go Chase," I said. Mark looks at me but doesn't say anything.

"M'not goin' anywhere... not till he goes..."

"Lets go Chase. You need to sober up. I don't want anymore fighting," said Mark. He kept his voice low but stern.

"... gerroff me... m'not drunk... very, very sober..." slurred Chase in response. He stumbled behind Mark as he pulled him out of the hall. He didn't bother to wait for a response but taking action and ignoring Chase's drunken roars.

I walked cautiously over to where he stood silently. I gently touch his shoulder. He flinches but relaxes once he takes notice that it's only me.

"Let's go back to the rooms," I said to him. Harry nodded without giving it a second thought, following me out of the reception hall and towards our waiting guest rooms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 368 15
The 3rd (and final book) of my Blind Series, Harry Styles au fanfics. [Blind Date and Blind Love are complete] JJ and Harry are in for the most excit...
4.2K 25 50
Sequel to "Secrets Better Left Untold" "It feels so good to have her safe in my arms, but this won't last forever. I have to tell her what's going on...
283K 5.7K 44
[COMPLETED] Nothing is louder than the silence between two lovers that aren't lovers anymore. *** Why am I running away from him ? He's the on...
5.9K 230 27
When I walked away that day I swore I'd never see Harry's face again. But I guess when two people are meant to be together, fate will stop at nothing...