Finding the Missing Piece: Bo...

By cogdill

Katniss and Peeta Mellark are currently living a rough life, but in all reality it's not all that bad and wil... More

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Nintey-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Nintey-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter One-Hundred
Sequel Info.

Chapter Ninety-Nine

3.3K 134 96
By cogdill

Katniss POV-

I don't even care that it's a nasty, gooey and bloody mess and Peeta doesn't seem to care either, he has that nervous look on his face.

The same look he wore when he first asked me to be his girlfriend or to marry him. The one he wore on our wedding day.

"Now." Dr. Coles says and I push hard, holding my breath as I feel Peeta grab her and an immense pressure being released off my lower body, but still painful to say the least.

They clear her nose and throat as Peeta holds her up so I can see.

I lose it when I see her and he sets her carefully on my chest.

Her first cry is so indescribably beautiful, I can't even speak, my breath has been taken away by her, Peeta's too.

"Katniss, she's so beautiful." Peeta cries, hovering over me as I examine her the best that I can, tears dripping down both of our cheeks.

The nurses wipe her down a bit as she screams and cries loudly, sounding like music to my ears.

"Thank you so much for her, Katniss." Peeta kisses my lips as he sniffles. He's shaking uncontrollably and crying just like I am.

Dr. Coles helps a shaky Peeta clamp and cut the umbilical cord.

"You're officially a mommy." Dr. Coles tells me.

I smile a little but I just can't quit looking at her.

Peeta Mellark and I are parents.

We have a daughter.

Willow Mellark is finally here.

"Katniss, we will let you guys get all cleaned up and in a bit we will get you started breastfeeding." Dr. Coles says.

I stare at her before they take her off of my chest to weigh her and measure her at my bedside.

"Peeta." I say, that's all I can say because I don't know what else to say.

He stares admiringly at me and presses a kiss to my lips, hugging me the best he can.

"She's so perfect, Katniss. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." He repeatedly says, kissing my cheek as we both focus in on what's happening by my beside.

The nurses make me deliver a few other things that were inside but I don't pay attention to what's happening, I just watch them handle her.

She's still wailing at the top of her lungs, her face dark pink. She's so tiny for as big as she's suppose to be and she still has a white film all over her body but she's still so beautiful.

"She's 8 pounds, 3 ounces. 17 3/4 inches long." The nurse weighing and measuring inform us.

"Do you two have a name picked out for her?" Another nurse asks as they stamp her tiny feet onto a page, which is her birth certificate. They give her a few shots which hurts me and Peeta to watch more than it probably hurts her in all reality.

I glance at him and he nods.

"Willow." Peeta tells them proudly.

She smiles, "Willow Mellark?"

We both nod our heads.

"No middle name?"

We shake our heads 'no' and they hand her tiny body to Peeta.

She's in a diaper and a hat, she's still screaming.

He's never looked so happy in his life, I swear it.

"Oh, Katniss. Look at her. She is so perfect." Peeta cries as he sits on the side of my bed and shows her to me.

Dr. Coles comes up behind him, "She is in fact perfectly healthy. I just checked everything and it's all good. She can breathe well and has good, strong lungs." She winks.

I smile but my eyes never leave her.

"I think you guys were right about her being a little further than we thought, but that's okay." Dr. Coles says with a smile.

"What time is it?" I ask curiously.

I've lost track of the time and day.

"She was born at 4:51am on Feburary 4th." Dr. Coles informs me and writes all of her information on the shoulder of Peeta's gown.

I was pushing way longer than I realized. Last time I remember hearing the time was at one when Peeta said something. I believe I started pushing at nearly 1:45, I'm not sure but it doesn't matter.

"Has your milk come in?" Dr. Coles asks and I immediately feel award, the nurses clean up down there and everything.

I shake my head, "I don't think so, maybe?"

"Well, strip that gown off and we will get you a new one to put on shortly or if you brought clothes you can wear those and then you can try to start breastfeeding her. If nothing comes out then we will just do an alternative until it comes in."

I swear, I'll have absolutely no modestly left after this is all over.

I get out of the stupid, gooey with my insides gown and pull the blanket up. I'm still in my bra but Peeta is asked to help take it off. We get it off and he lays her on across my bare chest, making us skin to skin. Doctor Coles helps Willow latch on, putting a pink blanket over her and myself.

It's awkward, having someone do that but it feels so natural and I guess she's getting something out of them.

"Good. When her little fists aren't balled up anymore that's when you know she's full." Dr. Coles says to me, "I will leave a message for the lactation specialists to pay a visit in the later this morning." She tells me.

I nod my head as I awkwardly sit here, tired, sore, but so incredibly happy.

Peeta sits in the chair next to me, not daring to even look at what's happening.

"You may as well look because you're going to be seeing this a lot and it's not like you haven't seen my boobs before." I tell him with a tired laugh.

He brings his head up and smiles shyly, "I love you so much, Katniss." Peeta tells me softly, tears still in his eyes.

"I love you too." I say, looking back down at Willow who's content it seems. Her eyes are closed and she stops sucking, I look at her hands which are relaxed and open.

I softly start patting her back and she lets out a big, loud burp.

Peeta and I both laugh a little as she seems to have startled herself.

"Hey, baby girl." Peeta whispers to her, he leans down and presses a kiss to her tiny, wrinkly newborn head.

It's her first kiss.

"Mommy and Daddy are so glad you're finally here." He tells her softly, in the voice he's used the last 6 months to speak to her.

She must recognize it too because she opens her little eyes and looks around until she finds him there next to me.

"Her eyes are blue." I whisper excitedly.

He smiles wider when he realizes that her eyes are in fact almost the same shade as his.

"Hey, Willow." Peeta says softly.

She stares at him the longest time before falling asleep on my chest. The nurses come in and swaddle her up for us, then they lay her in a little tray next to my hospital bed. 

Since I don't feel all too awful, just sore, the nurses allow me to change into my clothes from home and they change my bed stuff so that Peeta can sleep with me as I requested.

"Do you need any pain medication?" A nurse asks.

I nod my head and she retrieves some pills and I take them. I'm pretty sore and still am really fat but I'm mostly tired, exhausted actually. It's nearly 6am before Peeta and I lay down to sleep, everyone is so surprised I'm still awake but I just can't stop staring at her.

The nurses left and won't be coming in for at least a few hours to allow us some rest and they said Willow is still doing really good which I'm so thankful for.

Peeta fell asleep a few minutes ago but I just can't bring myself to sleep quite yet.

Willow is absolutely perfect and I couldn't be happier than I am now.

Then I look at the little smile on Peeta's face as he sleeps and remember the look on his face when she was finally here and I know that it was all worth it.

It's nearly 7am before I fall asleep.

What an all-nighter this has been.

And out of all the all-nighters Peeta and I have pulled, this one has to be my favorite.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 10.5K 55
(If you haven't read The One and Only Real please read that before this) We all know that the end of Mockingjay jumps to an epilogue. Ever wondered...
84.6K 2.2K 32
Katniss Everdeen- Divorced. Has a four year old boy. She just turned 25 Peeta Mellark- Divorced. Has a three year old girl. He just turned 27 What ha...
317K 13.5K 101
Katniss and Peeta, now engaged, are heading off to college to begin their Forever and Always. They have gone through a lot but they now have a fresh...
44.4K 807 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...