Snow White is a Gangster (Pub...

By sielalstreim

She vowed to stay. She just needed a keeper for maintenance. Henrietta Arturia is a drop-dead, gorgeous ice p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: A Game of Chess
Chapter 2: Hide and Seek
Chapter 3: Christmas Day
Chapter 4: Silent Night
Chapter 5: Captured
Chapter 6: Between the Moon and the Sea
Chapter 7: Missing
Chapter 8: The Dead Man of Christmas Day
Chapter 9: Saudade and the Dead People
Chapter 10: The Root of All The Consequences
Chapter 11: Melancholy of the Past
Chapter 12: Montello High
Chapter 13: Midnight Calls
Chapter 14: Speedster
Chapter 15: Sadness and Happiness
Chapter 16: City Lights
Chapter 18: The Dangerous Man
Chapter 19: Words of a Rose
Chapter 20: The Graduation Day
Chapter 21: Fate of the Uninvited
Chapter 22: The Pawn in a Chess Game
Chapter 23: Fire and Ice
Chapter 24: Chasing the Dead Man
Chapter 25: Wandering Souls After The Sunset
Chapter 26: Eremitia
Chapter 27: Her Companion
Chapter 28: Dancing with the Snakes
Chapter 29: The Visitors
Chapter 30: Poison and Wine
Chapter 31: A Little Heart
Chapter 32: An Unexpected Alliance
Chapter 33: Blood Meets the Sea
Chapter 34: Drowning
Chapter 35: Relinquishment
Chapter 36: Fire and Ice
Chapter 37: A Falling Star
Chapter 38: The Women of Arturia
Chapter 39: Unearthed from the Graveyard
Chapter 40: Into the Storm
Chapter 41: The Words Left Unsaid
Chapter 42: Nightmares
Chapter 43: The Choices
Chapter 44: Blood, Sweat, Tears
Chapter 45: The Darkness in the Daylight
Chapter 46: A Darker Night
Chapter 47: Redemption in Fire
Chapter 48: Trojan Horse
Chapter 49: Somniat Finem (Even Dreams End)
Chapter 50: As Winter Meets its Death
Epilogue
Announcement from MHSG Administration!

Chapter 17: Running with Shadows

265K 9.7K 1.2K
By sielalstreim

Chapter 17: Running with Shadows

"We need to go," I announced in a tone that anyone wouldn't dare to question. Well, except for Wycliffe.

"What? I was expecting that you guys liked it and would agree with me about having another ride!" Protesta nito. I tried to cover him by keeping him close behind me. At this moment, he was the one I need to protect.

"Your sister is right, Wycliffe. We need to go now," seryosong wika ni Ethan. Wycliffe looked so confused. He was probably wondering why in just a second, everyone was going against him. He didn't understand anything and I think it was safer to keep it that way. Keep him in the dark. Everyone who understood had been swallowed by tragedy. And I would never let it happen to Wycliffe. Wala na siyang nagawa nang huminto ang Ferris Wheel at mabilis ko siyang hinila palabas. Inilibot ko ang paningin ko sa paligid subalit wala nang bakas ng taong iyon. If I was alone, I could just leap from the Ferris Wheel and attack him. But I wasn't.

Mabilis akong naglakad palayo sa lugar na iyon habang hila-hila si Wycliffe. Muntik ko nang makalimutan na hindi lang si Wycliffe ang kasama ko. I almost forgot my bait.

But who cared about the dead man? Lumingon ako sa kanya at nakita ko siyang tumatakbo kasunod namin. Bakas ang takot sa kanyang mukha at tila walang anumang balak na tumakas. Tumigil ako saglit upang hintayin siya. Nagtataka man ay mas binilisan pa niya ang kanyang pagtakbo palapit sa amin. Nang maabutan niya kami ay agad kong inihawak ang kamay niya sa braso ni Wycliffe.

"Mauna kayo. Tumakbo kayo at sumakay sa kotse," utos ko sa kanila. Agad na tumalima si Ethan tangay-tangay ang nagtatakang si Wycliffe. Muli kong pinakiramdaman ang paligid. Mukhang wala nang nakamasid sa amin. The surrounding was in its normal chaos. Nang masiguro kong wala nang nakasunod sa amin ay agad akong tumakbo tungo sa direksyong pinuntahan nila Ethan. I saw them in the car with Ethan on the driver's seat. I was not really comfortable having someone else drive my car but right now, we didn't have time to argue. Agad akong sumakay sa passenger's seat and pushed Wycliffe down. He was almost lying on the back seat. Ethan started the car and I was about to get the gun from the compartment but decided against it when I realized that I was with my brother. I tried to hide my frustration by clenching my fist.

Nang makalabas na kami ng amusement park ay agad na nagsalita si Wycliffe. "Uh, can someone tell me what's happening?" Halos nakahiga pa rin siya sa backseat.

Nanatili kaming tahimik ni Ethan. I didn't know what he was thinking while driving. Mukhang nakabisado na rin niya ang daan pabalik ng mansion. And as for me, I was just not good in lying specially to this young man. I could hide something, but I just couldn't lie.

"Please. It was all fun and then you both act like lunatic trying to escape a psychopath."

Ethan cleared his throat and said, "It was someone I know. And I just need to get away from him because I don't want him to know my whereabouts. I don't like any disturbances while I'm writing," wika nito. Tila sanay nang magsinungaling ang taong ito. Tiningnan ko si Wycliffe at mukhang iniisip niya ang mga pangyayari.

Tumangu-tango siya. "Mukha ngang malaking sagabal siya sa iyong pagsusulat," wika niya. Tiningnan ko siya at base sa ekspresyon ng mukha niya ay alam kong hindi pa rin siya lubusang nakukumbinsi sa sinabi ni Ethan.

Nagpatuloy ang katahimikan sa loob ng sasakyan. Mukhang masama pa rin ang loob ni Wycliffe dahil sa bigla naming pag-uwi. But I knew he would understand without knowing the details. Tila naman malalim ang iniisip ni Ethan habang nagmamaneho. I just looked at the surrounding, checking if something wasn't normal or someone was following us. I sighed as I saw the mansion in the distance. I was wondering if I should leave tonight or just stay.

Itinigil ni Ethan ang kotse sa hindi kalayuan sa mansion. "It's probably time for you to drive inside," wika niya at saka lumabas ng kotse. Lumipat ako sa driver's seat. Pinanuod ko ang pag-ikot niya sa harapan ng kotse upang lumipat sa passenger's seat. What if he was going to run? How could I explain to Wycliffe the things that were happening in front of his eyes? Nakahinga ako nang maluwag nang buksan niya ang pinto at umupo sa tabi ko. I started the engine and headed to the mansion. Nang marating namin ang mansion ay nagpaalam si Wycliffe na mauuna na sa loob. It was already 7:30 in the evening and probably dinner time. Umikot muna ako sa likod ng mansion. I climbed the tree house with Ethan.

"I've always known that Ephraim would find me. Find us," seryoso niyang sabi. It felt so awkward that we were both standing inside the tree house. We couldn't bring ourselves to sit down. I looked outside the window and watched the shadows of the trees form figures. I'd waited for this thing to happen. But why was I confused now? Why couldn't I bear myself to think of a possible counter attack using the bait?

"Well, I think everything is happening according to your plan," he said bitterly.

"This is not exactly the plan. He shouldn't be the first to find us, but the other way around. I shoud find him first. This should only be about between me, you and the Novous. My brother should be out of this ugly picture. Now, can you see the difference from what I've planned?" I was not always this sarcastic. I guess the frustration I was trying hard not to express had gotten its way through my words.

"He didn't see Wycliffe. I'm sure of that," he assured me. Unfortunately, any assurance wouldn't keep me calm at this moment. I fished my phone from the pocket of my coat to get some Mafia guards to do the job for me tonight. I saw a few messages from my mom and one from Mikhail. I decided to open Mikhail's first since I knew that my mom would just be asking about our location.

All nearby Reapers are summoned to the Freniere Mansion tonight.

They had probably assigned someone in my place already. That left me no option but to leave again. Everything was happening like the sudden flow of rainwater that has been trapped in a certain place for the whole summer. I was preparing myself to go and headed towards the door when Ethan grabbed my arm. I stopped and looked at him.

"Can you please... stay?" He asked silently. I could see sadness and fear in his eyes. He must be scared because death had already smelled him and thirsting for his soul.

"You wouldn't die tonight," wika ko at saka inalis ang kamay niya sa braso ko. Palabas na ako nang pinto nang muli siyang magsalita.

"Please, take care and come back," aniya. I shrugged and climbed down the tree house. Sumakay ako agad ng kotse at mabilis itong pinaandar palabas ng mansion. I was so exhausted, thinking of everything at once. Kailangan ko munang isantabi si Ephraim Novou. It wouldn't be smart of him kung makikita niya ako sa mga oras na ito at susundan patungo sa Freniere Mansion. He wouldn't dare enter the territory. What I should be thinking right now was the purpose of this sudden meeting. Hindi madalas na ipinapatawag ang mga Reapers sa mansion. Something huge must have happened.

I think I'd been driving with a blank and confused mind dahil namalayan ko na lang pagkalipas ng ilang minuto ay papasok na ako sa teritoryo ng Mafia Freniere. It still had a gloomy and eerie atmosphere. I could see shadows on the trees beside the silent road. Nagpatuloy ako sa pagmamaneho hanggang sa makarating ako sa gate ng mansion. I was ushered by the guards on the gate inside. Ilang kotse na rin ang nakaparada sa tapat ng mansion.

I walked silently towards the entrance. Forest suddenly appeared beside me and crossed her arm with mine. "This meeting saved me from the possibility of standing in the Nightwoods until the next night. Where have you been?" Wika niya.

"Family reasons," tipid kong sagot. Hindi na siya muling nagtanong pa dahil nagkaroon na kami ng mga kasama. We reached the grand room of the mansion. There must be at least ten Reapers present and they were everywhere in the room. Forest and I found a comfortable place in the sofa. Tahimik naming pinagmasdan ang isa't isa. No one was making a sound or starting a conversation. We all looked up as we heard the sound of footsteps at the top of the stairs. I saw Sebastian and Giovanni with bandage on his right arm. He was now recovering too fast. Mikhail stayed behind them. Sebastian demanded our attention by clearing his throat.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," he started with a devilish grin plastered on his face. "I've summoned all of you to say that, I loathe traitors."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.1M 1M 68
(Academy Series #1) The Gonzalez heir, Kairon, was sent to Garnet Academy to ensure his safety against the suspected hierarchy war. Appointed as the...
1.1M 56.5K 152
Okay but first, who are you? An epistolary.
1.5M 63K 52
Emily Devereaux had everything...until it was stolen from her on the night she found her parents dead and their mansion burning. She almost died in t...
348K 14.2K 61
[Epistolary] "I'm addicted to you like a powerful drug. With you by my side, you are my euphoria."