Love Defined

By Keri8794

To Piper Baker, love is a hoax simply created to brainwash us all into believing life isn't as bad as it seem... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26

Part 8

12.9K 575 41
By Keri8794

Chapter 7

"The store is looking better." I watched as my mother strolled leisurely around the empty store.

It was nearing evening and the sun had just set; causing the sky to come alive with resplendent colours. The weekend had arrived and though; my dinner with Scott was due in a few hours, I found myself stuck in my store desperately trying to get my pestering mother to leave.

I followed her eyes as they travelled around the store. Progress had been made, though very little. With the primer being painted and set, the men had moved on to applying the wallpaper. We had agreed to complete the store in stages; having the front of the store as the first stage. Though it still stood empty of furniture, the lumpy floor was now evened out by the placement of cream tiles and the walls were now covered in soft bubble-gum pink and lilac striped wallpaper. The room looked cheerful and sweet- exactly the kind of atmosphere I hoped to provide come opening.

I followed my mother out the store and turned to lock the door. "It looks more like a sweet store now with the wallpaper up," I commented as I slid the bolt in place.

"I agree. You made a good choice sweetie. It definitely feels like you."

I turned to face my mother, placing the key in my back pants pocket. "What do you mean?" I asked.

My mother smiled and looped her arm through mine. "It's cheerful and almost childlike. It reminds me of you."

"Are you saying I'm childish mother?"

She laughed faintly, "Goodness no, in fact you're possibly too mature for your age. What I mean is that there is a childlike quality about you; an innocence if you'd call it. It shows through in the layout and design of your store. It practically screams for children to come inside and go wild."

Though my mother stood grinning at me, I felt anything but comforted by her words. "Somehow none of what you just said makes me feel better."

She carefully patted my shoulder. "You're taking it the wrong way Piper. All I'm trying to say is that the store is a reflection of you and, both are amazing."

I smiled, feeling partly better. "Thank you mom, I'm glad you like it. You know there's a place for you when it's open."

We were walking slowly, arm in arm down Main Street. My mother looked away at my comment and instead stared at the horizon before us. I too looked at the twilight sky which had just appeared; splashing the sky with a splendid haze of dark violet and lavender with just a whisper of yellow and navy blue. It was a masterpiece to look at and I was momentarily struck with a deep sense of regret. It had been long since I last enjoyed the beauty of my town. It had to have been three months prior but, as such is life, things had changed since then.

"I enjoy my job Piper," my mother's voice broke through my saddened thoughts and I quickly looked away from the sky and towards her stiff face.

"I'm offering you a chance to work with me, to be with me every day. I can't believe you're turning it down." My voice raised an octave and my mother glared at me.

"Do not pick now to have a fight. I have already told you that I do not want to leave the school."

I yanked my arm away from hers and folded it across my chest. I pouted like a child having a tantrum and came to a stop on the side of the street. My mother eventually stopped too and faced me with a displeased expression. "You're near your retirement, is it not time to let someone else take over?"

My mother gasped and I quickly realised how insulting I had just been. "I am not near retirement." I blushed. "As for leaving, I have already told you that I do not want to leave my children."

"Your children," I grouched mockingly. "What about me? You know; the person who is actually your own flesh and blood."

My mother sighed and took a step forward so that we were nose to nose. She carefully wrapped her arms around me and I reluctantly let her warmth cover me. I instantly relaxed in her embrace. She pulled apart and held my face in her hands. "You will always be my baby but, Piper I have a job I love. I hate to say this to you but sweetie, you need to stop relying so much on me. You're almost thirty and I'm the only friend you have."

I pulled my face away from her hold and said, "Not true, Javier is a good friend."

She shook her head as she chuckled softly. "No Javier wishes he could be friends but you, refuse to make him one."

I looked away knowing she was indeed right. Though Javier flirted and insisted on trying to get me to see him personally, I just couldn't get myself to say yes to the tall raven haired man. "It's hard for me," I told my mother.

She nodded in understanding and once again, placed her arm within mine so that we could finish our walk. "I know but you can't keep living in fear. What happened is in the past. It's time for you to plan your future."

I scoffed, "What do you think the store is for?"

"I'm glad that you're determined and passionate enough to make your dreams come true but, there is more to life than material objects. They're nice to have and they make life interesting to live but, they don't make life worth living. It's the relationships we have with others that do."

I shrugged, "I suppose you're right."

"I am," she replied. "So now, tell me what happened between you and Phillip after that excuse of a greeting you gave him last Sunday?"

I blushed remembering how I had been stumped to one word replies. "Things have been good. I think we can be friends. We've been talking every day since. I discovered that he got into being a personal trainer after taking control of his life in high school. He used to be extremely overweight and as result he was bullied. He said that one afternoon a group of seniors in the school had approached him on his way home and they had beat him up so badly that he was in hospital for three weeks with bruised ribs and a broken arm. After that day he decided he had to make a change. He started going to the gym and losing weight. Soon enough, he was building muscles. He vowed then and there to always be the strongest so that he was never taken advantage of again."

"Wow," my mother breathed. "That is such an inspirational story. That poor boy having been beaten like that, it's absolutely sick that kids can be so cruel."

I smiled and nodded in agreement, "He is definitely an inspiration. I wish I were as strong as him though."

My mother rubbed her hand up and down my arm in reassurance. "You are strong Piper, you just need to realise that."

I shrugged, "What do you have planned for tonight?" I asked, changing the subject.

She smiled, "If you're asking to spend time together then the answer is no. You need to go out and get a life."

I frowned, "I'll have you know I already have plans. I was just making conversation, you know in case you thought you could spend time with me."

My mother had gone still beside me and when I looked at her, she had her mouth opened wide in shock and a hand lightly resting on her chest. "You have plans? My daughter; Piper Baker, has plans for a Saturday evening? There really is a God."

"Ha. Ha. You're funny," I deadpanned.

"So," she nudged my shoulder. "What mystery plans do you have?"

I wrung my fingers nervously, "I have dinner with Scott Daniels. My landlord, do you remember?" She nodded. "Well he asked me out for tonight."

She squealed. My forty five year old mother actually squealed and jumped up and down like a hormonal teenager. "I'm so excited for you." She threw her arms around my neck and squeezed tight. "I knew you would find someone, it was only a matter of time. Now this is your first date so I'm going to have to give you a few guidelines. First thing is to always be yourself. Now I know for you that's hard but-"

"Whoa," I interrupted and covered her mouth with my hand. "This isn't a date and why would you say that me being myself is hard?"

I pulled my hand away so she could reply. "Well you tend to close yourself up and hide behind walls. The man wants to know you so you're going to have to help him out. Now as I was saying, you need to be yourself. If he asks you a question, you need to answer it. Now on that note, don't be afraid to ask him questions too. You're there to get to know one another."

"Mother could you please stop implying that it's a date."

"Did he tell you it was a business dinner?" She asked genuinely.

I frowned, "No he didn't."

"Then it's a date. Now rule two- let him pay. Now not all men will feel the need to be a gentleman and pay so make sure you have money on you in case. But on the other hand, Scott might want to pay for the dinner and if you fight with him about it then you will offend him. Do you understand me?"

"I think so. You're saying to let him pay if he offers and to pay if he doesn't?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "Exactly! I knew you were smart. Now, let's talk about conversation."

I groaned and unlocked my car. We had finally reached where I had parked but unfortunately had to give my mother a lift home. It was going to be a long ride if my mothers' excitement was anything to go by.

"I know how to talk mother."

She threw her body into the car and clipped in her seat belt. I quickly turned the key so the car would start. My mother turned in her seat while I pulled into traffic and drove us home.

"You Piper," she continued. "Know how to talk but, holding a conversation you do not know how to do."

I gasped, "That isn't a nice thing to say."

"Perhaps it isn't but it is true. I say that because when on a date, conversation involves three things- questions, interest and flirting. You only know how to do one and, if I let you spend all night asking questions, then Scot will feel like he is being interrogated rather than dated."

"Perhaps you have a point."

My mother grinned, "I'm glad you're starting to see where I'm getting at. Now I don't have much time so we're going to have to take you through a crash course in flirting."

I made a low guttural moan and threw my head against my seat. The drive may have only been ten minutes long but I knew it was about to feel decades long.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

471 103 16
[2x Featured] The moment you meet your soulmate, you feel it like the wind brushing against your skin when time stops. »»...
31.4K 4.5K 48
Blair Bass, pretty, smart and independent has been in love with her best friend for forever. Deciding, that her senior year is gonna be the year of c...
267K 16.4K 26
~~ Book 3 of The Marrying You Series. This can be read as a stand alone but I recommened you read the other two books too. ~~ Vanessa Brady is thirty...
3K 29 43
"I can't breathe when he's not around and when he is I just feel... scared." Felicity frowned. "Scared?" "Yes, scared to death. Scared of touching hi...