This Means War

By CynthiaRayneOfficial

Previously titled Checkmate on Wattpad... #1.5 in 'Playing for Keeps series' Love is a strange thing, even th... More

1| Pack Your Shit Italy Awaits
2| Like Some Geltao With That Leather Jacket
3| The Italian God
4 | Paybacks A Bitch
Nathaniel & Nancy | Bitter Sweet Loneliness
Nathaniel & Nancy | Godzilla The Feminist And A Misogynist
Nathaniel & Nancy | Wild Animal In 602
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Black Out
Nathaniel & Nancy | Amateur Mike Tyson And LaChapelle's exhibition
Nathaniel & Nancy | Wrap It Up Tom And Jerry
Nathaniel & Nancy | A Hidden Past
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Ugly Truth
Nathaniel & Nancy | Hotel From Hell
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Final Dance

Nathaniel & Nancy | Spaghetti Con La Bottarga

26.8K 1K 92
By CynthiaRayneOfficial

Nathaniel & Nancy | Spaghetti Con La Bottarga

"Are you sure you want to risk sending the king of all misogynists to meet her? I mean don't get me wrong, their last encounter was entertaining beyond reason but...this could end badly." I smirked while I made my case, we'd been debating on the topic of both Nathaniel and I attending a lunch meeting with Gabrielle. She'd selected a cafe and the fact that it was owned by a young women hadn't escaped me.

Nathaniel was convinced he could do the meeting alone and Daniel wasn't prepared to watch world war three break loose in Italy. It was his theory that if a women I.e. Me, was to attend the meeting and do a majority of the speaking we'd come out on top. Nathaniel's mega sized ego obviously took a hit from this statement.

"You're both going and that's final, I need a freaking break from you two." He turned to leave, "cars waiting out front so get a move on." Cursing under his breath Nate stormed towards the elevator, it would have been more impactful if he didn't have to wait a solid thirty seconds before the cart arrived.

"I'm not a misogynist." He hissed jabbing the lobby button.

"Yeah, try telling our resident feminist that?" He glared at me, "hey I gave you an out." Putting my hands up defensively I smirked.

"Whatever, just don't fuck this up and if you pull any of your childish crap today you'll be paying for it for the next five months."

"Same goes for you." I snorted, we both narrowed our eyes.

"Oh for the love of- just fucking go already!" Throwing his hands into the air Daniel left us to complete the current staring competition we were participating in alone, well, alone apart from all the unfamiliar faces scanning us with amusement as they strode past. Rolling my eyes I turned towards the town car.

"Hah-I win." He smirked, pulling the car door open roughly I nodded towards the group of snickering teens.

"Might want to check what constitutes winning when you're a grown ass man." Biting back a laugh I slipped into the car. His face reddened, straightening his jacket he jumped into the car. Shaking my head I flipped open my laptop. I made a point of emailing myself all the important documents, I didn't want to leave any room for error. Alright so maybe I didn't want to give Nathaniel any more ammunition. The last thing I needed was something vital being deleted or tainted and not having a copy to present.

He was yet to strike back for the whole 'wild animal' ordeal and I wasn't about to leave my king wide open for a simple pawns take down.

***
"Wow, this cafe is beautiful. It's so charming." Gabrielle smiled, she shook Nathaniel's hand politely but remained formal towards him. She gestured for one of the waitresses and ordered for us, asking our preferences when needed.

"I see you decided to join us Mr Hughes. Worried Miss Williams wouldn't be able to handle the meeting alone?"

"Exactly-" he silenced himself immediately, shaking her head she muttered what I'm sure were a series or Italian curses. Chuckling she clasped her hands together over the table. "No, that came out wrong. Actually it came out right, you just misinterpreted me..." He trailed off when she raised an eyebrow.

"Are you insinuating that I lack the knowledge required to understand what you're saying?"

"Absolutely not." Sighing he shoved a hand through his hair. "Look, I can see how my attitude at our previous meeting may have come across misogynistic. The funny thing is I believe in gender equality to my very core, my problem with Nancy is personal; completely non work related. Professionally, she's just as if not better than me at her job...personally she's a pain in my ass."

Gabrielle let out a cheerful laugh. My jaw dropped at a variety of things, my head was bloody spinning. Nathaniel Hughes had just given me a complement and an insult, while clearing things up with Gabrielle. I was impressed and from the way Gabrielle had seemed to warm up to him, so was she.

"Now that, that's been cleared up; why don't you finish this Nancy." The corner of his mouth lifted in triumph, I was still bloody gaping at him. After a good three minutes of silence I finally snapped back to reality and proceeded with the meeting. Wrapping up early we slipped into a more casual conversation, Gabriella really knew how to let loose.

"This was, nice. I'm glad we had this lunch, my plans to tackle that ego of yours weren't very pleasant." Nathaniel chuckled, shaking her hand. She extended a hand to me and smiled. "I look forward to getting to know you better, I believe Mr Hughes' behaviour at our last encounter may have had something to do with you. She's clever, you have your work cut out for you." She directed this towards Nathaniel and I chuckled nervously. 

"It's those innocent baby blues, otherwise I don't go down so easily." She let out another laugh and I was left gaping once more. She glanced at my hair and chuckled.

"I can see that." I flushed. Saying our goodbyes she left before us.

"Innocent baby blues?" I mumbled, smiling.

"What?" He scoffed. "I was just clearing things up, you know; digging myself out of the fucking pit you dropped me into." He rubbed the base of his neck. "And if you think it was a complement than your stupid and deluded...I was just pointing out how conniving you are, innocent baby blues my ass! More like dangerous icy blues." For the first time in a long time, Nathaniel sounded nervous. My smile only widened at his attempt to over shadow the complement he'd given me with one of his trade mark insult.

"Ah-Ouch!" My body jerked forward as the leather straps from my bag cut into my shoulder before snapping. A lanky man in a grey hoodie took off down the street knocking several people to the ground.

"Fuck, Nancy!" Cupping face and gripping my hip he turned my body to face his. "You okay?" I nodded, the second he had confirmation he took off in the direction the man had. My hand flew to cover my mouth as I watched Nathaniel chase after a guy who for all we knew could have been a serial killer. Taking a sharp right the guy completely disappeared, Nathaniel also disappeared seconds after.

I shot panicked glances in every direction, praying I'd spot an officer. Nathaniel reappeared holding my strapless bag. I signed a breath of relief.

"Everything's fucking gone. He emptied it out and ditched the bag at some point." My hands flew to my mouth. Snatching the empty bag from him I looked through it praying this was just a humourless joke on Nathaniel's part.

"No, no, no! Shit!"

"Shits right..." He muttered. "You really fucked up this time-"

"Seriously?! You want to do this now?! God you're the most arrogant, selfish, cynical, petty son of bitch there is!"

"Aww Nancy, I had no idea...you're making blush." He chimed sarcastically. "You fucked us all over this time, I'm just as fucked love." He seethed. "Everything was in that bag, the entire project." Perching his hands on his hips he cursed. "Daniels going to have our ass', and then Charlie's going to set what's left on fire!" Slapping the empty bag against his chest I folded my arms.

"Actually your ass if perfectly safe, in fact you should be kissing mine right now." He scoffed.

"Has this traumatic event caused you some mental damage? That triathlon runner took everything, do I need to repeat myself?" I rolled my eyes.

"No but clearly he must have knocked the remaining brain cells out of that puny head of yours if you think that bag held the only copy to everything, I sent a copy of the entire project to myself genius." Relief and annoyance washed over his features simultaneously. "The ass kissing may proceed..." I mocked slapping my ass before walking into the cafe.

"Hi, I was wondering if I could use your phone. My bag just got snatched and he took everything..." I trailed off noticing the women was staring at my lips and moving her own. "You don't speak English do you?" She smiled pointing towards the pastries. "That's just perfect." I muttered, forcing a smile I shook my head and walked back out.

"Well, now what?" I looked to his pocket and fought the urge to slap him.

"How about you utilise that phone for something productive for once, call Daniel and our driver." I snapped folding my arms over my chest.

Digging out his mobile he tossed it towards me. "Knock yourself out princess!" I caught it muttering a few choice words. The screen remained completely black after my several attempts to turn it on.

"It's dead." I stated holding it up.

"Christ you must be fucking Sherlock Holmes' baby sister, just can't get anything past you." He hissed sarcastically. Clenching my jaw I slapped the phone back into his palm. "Don't you think I tried that first?" He growled.

"Is it really necessary to be such a sarcastic asshole all hours of the day, can't you take a sabbatical for like a few short minutes? I'll even fucking pay you time and a half!" I snapped. He laughed mocking me further.

He held out a hand. "Sure, how about you pay me half now. I'll settle for even a penny and I'll invest it into making a call from a telephone booth." I scowled at him.

"What you don't have money to do that yourself, if I remember correctly you went Dutch as a general rule all through college." Pulling out the material of his empty pockets he offered me a condescending smile. "Actually this five foot, British genius demanded I put it in her bag so Gabrielle didn't assume that I was planning on paying in order to once again prove what a fucking sexist pig I am!"

My subconscious face palmed herself before zipping her trap and turning to face a corner. I closed my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration. "Oh you think you're frustrated...I'm literally two seconds from throttling you." Running his hands down his face he looked around. "Well...don't just stand there, ask someone for help. Like a phone or a fucking taxi stand!"

"I would but unfortunately I left my bilingual personality at home today, unless you want me to draw a goddam picture and wave it around we're on our own!" Groaning he scanned the crowd of people walking by. Stopping a man in a suit he asked if he could use his phone. The man replied in Italian, most likely explaining the obvious language barrier between the idiot and himself. He tried again and the women freaked out, I thought she'd scream bloody murder at any given second. He tried a few more times and actually managed to find someone who spoke English...only they didn't believe our story, they told us to; apply some dirt to our clothes and then try to spin that story again.

"Well I can't say that wasn't entertaining." I scoffed smirking at him, he gave me a deadly glare. Frankly I was tired of standing in the one spot looking like a complete loon.

"And where do you think you're going?" I swept my hands out towards the entire town and beach across the road.

"Sightseeing. Daniel will realise we haven't checked in eventually, until then I plan to relax and take in the beauty Italia has to offer!" I walked toward the beautiful fountain standing proud in the centre of the town. I could feel Nathaniel on my heel, when I stopped to admire the intricate carving of the sculpture he muttered several curses before audibly praying that I'd spontaneously combust. I glared at him over my shoulder. "You first love." I scoffed. Bending over I studied the designs at the base of the sculpture, it appeared distorted when submerged within the clear water but it was still beautiful.

I felt someone's hip slam into me with a powerful thrust, my body tumbled forward and I rolled over the concrete edge of the fountain. Splashing into the pool of cold water I gasped and slapped at the water furiously. Nathaniel's face turned red as he attempted to control his laughter, fuming I sat in the middle of a goddam fountain soaked to the bone...my chest heaving with rage. He held out a hand to me, his shoulder bouncing with suppressed laughter. People were staring openly, most laughing others just judging.

Gripping his wrist I made a show of trying to stand up, taking in my humiliated expression he burst into a fit of laughter. Tugging hard and fast I released my grip on him. His knees buckled as they hit the edge of the fountain, he went hurdling forward. Diving head first into the water he scrambled to his feet, equally as drenched. He watched me with narrowed eyes, I kissed the air and a chorus of laughs and howls surrounded us. He moved to climb out, pushing down on his shoulder I used him to step up onto the flat edge. Wrapping his long fingers around my upper arm he dragged me back.

Shoving me slightly he forced me to crash into the water again, he stepped up onto the edge and I gripped his ankle pulling him back once more, he occupied a spot by my side as we sat in a pool of fountain water. I just knew we were about to became famous, Italy wide at that. People had their mobiles whipped out and videoing as Nathaniel and I continued to battle it out before finally managing to wrestle our way out of the fountain.

"Ugh! You're such an asshole!" I hissed, wringing the material of my dress weakly.

"You're no picnic yourself sweetheart!" He grunted doing the same to his shirt.

"Ugh!" I screamed again storming off towards the beach. I figured being drenched there I wouldn't seem so out of place. Remaining at the fountain I'd simply continue to be a freak show attraction. Slumping down onto a sand bank I let the sun both warm and dry me. A good five minutes later Nathaniel and all his joyful-self joined me. I groaned, one comment and I swear to god I'll shove a fist full of sand down his throat before burying his head in this very sand bank! My subconscious scowled. Grating my teeth I kept my eyes trained on the glistening water.

"It's beautiful Kevin, the beach is just so beautiful whether you're in America or Italy."

"It is babe, but not as beautiful as you." I looked back out to the water. The couple held each other while admiring the shimmering specks of the sun as it kissed the soft waves.

I smiled looking past the surface. "Funny how nobody ever notices how lonely the sea is...everyone sees the outer beauty, nobody ever sees the depth. There's always a certain sadness behind beauty; it's the perfect facade...beauty to hide the loneliness."

"What did you just say?" He whispered in a horse tone.

"Nothing..." Standing I brushed the sand off my backside, glancing once more at the sea I walked towards the couple. "Hi, I'm so sorry to disturb you. I'm in a bit of a mess, I was wondering if I could borrow a phone and just make a quick call." The girl smiled.

"Sure, Kev..." She trailed off noticing he'd already reached into his bag.

"Thank you so much." I smiled brightly, punching in Daniel's number I quickly rehashed the events of the day and he told me to relax, that he'd send someone to get us. "Thank you again, I really appreciate it." They smiled. Nathaniel was watching me, his expression unreadable. It looked as though somebody had just told him his childhood hero was a drug dealer gone wild on YouTube. He studied me in horror and confusion, I thought he might double over any second. "What?" I snapped.

"It's the perfect facade? Beauty to hide the loneliness?"

"Surely my comment didn't offend your lovely self this much." I stated dryly. "No offence but you're no longer the guy who actually enjoys coming to the beach." I walked past him and back to the side of the road, sitting on a bench I watched as the cars endlessly drove past. Our town car pulled off to the side and I instantly got inside. Nathaniel slid in moments later, every now and then I'd look up to catch him watching me through the rear view mirror. I couldn't understand what I'd said to earn his undivided attention...but it was unnerving.

***
"Let's get through this dinner, drama free." Daniel emphasised the last part pointing to both Nathaniel and I.

"Well the hairdresser fixed this monstrosity so, at least tonight will fly by humiliation free." He tugged at a strand of my freshly bleached and dyed blonde curls. I slapped his hand away and he smirked, mumbling to myself I swore vengeance on his stupendously infuriating ass. He was going to pay for turning me into hulks little sister for a straight week, when he least expects it...God that sound creepy.

Groaning I followed the boys out to the lobby and into the town car. The journey was long, Enrique had selected a restaurant that he'd enjoyed dinning at for most of his life. Vascello was high up in the Monteverde area of Rome. It was run by two Sardinian couples, both of which Enrique knew well. "If it were day, the breeze would make this a very romantic location to dine." I smiled as he ran a hand over the back of a chair as we walked by it.

It was night so dinning inside held the charming atmosphere I was sure Enrique was trying to present. Pulling out a seat for me he took a seat, I caught Nathaniel rolling his eyes. It was in all honesty the most muscle movement I'd seen from him since we met Enrique out front, since then his body had assumed a tensed exterior and his jaw had been permanently clenched. We chatted for a few minutes, Enrique ordered a bottle of Amarone. I loved white wine but this truly was delicious.

Nathaniel's phone rang and I smirked, winking at him covertly. He opened his mouth in mock laughter, both Daniel and Enrique eyed his phone. The waiter chose exactly that moment to come and take our orders. "Please." Enrique gestured to Nathaniel's phone.

"Excuse me." He grumbled.

"I'll just order for you." Daniel quickly added, he nodded swiping his phone from the table and disappearing outside. "I don't exactly know what the guy would like..." He looked over the menu and Enrique ordered his meal without even checking the menu.

"Gli grandi ravioli con ripieno di ricotta e la scorza di limone, e un altro flacone di questo, la ringrazio. Signorina?" He gestured to me and the waiter smiled politely.

"Uh...I'll just have the same please." Smiling Enrique nodded and the guy jotted it down. Daniel was still scanning the menu.

"Spaghetti...but what's Bottarga?"

"Cured fish roe Signore."

"Oh, okay. That actually sounds interesting, Nathaniel will probably enjoy it." I chocked on my small sip of wine, covering my mouth with the back of my hand I wiped my mouth with a hand towel. "Nancy, you all good?"

"Signorina, are you alright?" I nodded, flushing. "Gli spaghetti con la bottarga."

"Two, I'll have the same. Thank you." Daniel handed the menu back and I watched as the waiter walked away with an order that'll make tonight memorable for years to come. "Nathaniel doesn't have a problem with caviar does he?" Biting the inside of my mouth I tried desperately not to burst out in hysterical laughter.

"Oh no, he loves him some fish roe. He used to eat it at least once a week back in college. He's going to be so surprised when he tastes it." Daniel smiled triumphantly. Throwing back the rest of my glass of wine I kept my eyes trained at the restaurants entrance. Things were about to get all kinds of dramatic...

I straightened in my seat when Nathaniel strolled back in, "man you're gunna love what I just ordered you." The corner of my mouth twitched and I quickly pulled it back, directing my attention to Enrique I opted for ignoring Nathaniel all together. I wasn't about to spill the beans...no, that would be him in a few short minutes.

"You realise this isn't a date right, there are others at this table." Nathaniel hissed into my ear, I narrowed my eyes at him. Clenching his jaw he glared back at me.

"Well some of the others at the table are terrible conversationalists." I seethed hating how he always implied that I was trying to flirt with Enrique.

"Why don't you just fuck the guy on this very table, why the pleasantries." He scoffed, irritation lacing his tone.

"Because I don't want to fuck him, period." I whispered harshly.

"Is everything alright signorina?"

"Everything's fine, she was just telling me how sexy I look tonight. Let's save this for personal time, yeah?" I glared at him, he smirked and Enrique nodded slightly confused but otherwise unfazed. Daniel just rolled his eyes and busied Enrique with the conversation they'd been having earlier. Before I had the chance to respond two waiters appeared with our meals, I inwardly smirked as one of the waiters placed the plate of spaghetti and fish eggs before Nathaniel, because they'd been salted and mixed in with the thin strings of pasta it wasn't easy to make out.

"This looks amazing." Nathaniel commented. The ravioli smelt divine but the sweet stench of revenge was what had my mouth watering.

"Mettersi a mangiare." Enrique prompted us as the waiters opened the second bottle of wine and served us. They moved onto the next table and I carefully cut the ravioli open, dipping it in the liquid it was dished with I placed the small piece into my mouth. The lemon flavour hit me instantly and I almost moaned.

"Wow, this is...just wow." Enrique chuckled.

"Coming from you that's quite the complement." I flushed feeling the sudden urge to face palm. I mean I was a highly educated women, surely I could have scrounged around my brain for a semi-decent adjective to replace wow, just this once.

"Um...does this taste funny to you?" Nathaniel piped up chewing cautiously, his face creased with discomfort. "Something's...god there's this weird texture, uh what is that..." He mumbled. Looking to Daniel's plate he compared the two. "You ordered the same as me, does it taste odd?"

"I've dinned here countless times over the years, I assure you the food has never not been up to standard."

"Nate...here let me taste it." I placed a hand on his shoulder and he quickly slid the plate towards me. Forking the spaghetti I slid the food into my mouth. Chewing I furrowed my brows. "Nate, its fine."

"No I'm telling you."

"Maybe you just have to get used to the taste." He nodded rolling the spaghetti around his fork again, I bit the inside of my mouth and kept a finger firmly pressed to my lips. He gripped the table as his face paled, "I swear there's something up with it." He grated looking extremely queasy.

Daniel quickly tried some of Nathaniel's meal and shook his head. "Nathaniel it's completely fine. The spaghetti's fine, the sauce is fine and the cured fish eggs are more than fine. Nancy said caviar was your favourite." His eyes widened and I was sure if he could, he'd clench his jaw.

"Maybe his taste buds have grown a dislike to the flavour of fish eggs since college." He gripped the table tighter, his cheeks balling with the need to hurl. I covertly shifted away and even Enrique looked nervous.

This was going to get bloody messy...

__________________________

Hey lovelies,

Ill be posting the next chapter of New Orleans on Wattpad for free when the crew hits 1000 subscribers on my YouTube Channel (Cynthia Rayne Official) and Facebook Page (@OfficialCynthiaRayne) ;) what are you waiting for, head over and check it out...

https://youtu.be/eAtjS_i1TCw
Let's get the crew to 1000 subscribers <3

To top it off I will be reposting You Are My Addiction in full to celebrate hitting the thousands on YouTube...free copy of the final instalment is only one click away ;)

Don't forget to put in requests for what kind of content you all would like to see.

Cheers
Cynthia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 103 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
2.5K 53 40
An FBI agent who gets an opportunity to move to Italy to be an agent there. Of course she takes it right away. The job she loves in the country she l...
3.3M 57.6K 51
~COMPLETED~ Mateo Rossi is your typical bad boy with tattoos and fancy cars. He has gotten everything he has ever wanted from his dad; the leader of...
206 65 41
This is slowly burning me. Slowly and sweetly devouring me. It was supposed to be a simple innocent friendship. Meet, chat, catch up, laugh, and go b...