1| Pack Your Shit Italy Awaits

It had been seven, long years and my heart still beat a little faster whenever he was near. Like any other day the crushing reality of our situation smothered me— making me painfully aware that I loved Nathaniel Hughes as unconditionally as he hated me. "Yes I know-I'm sorry but I can't right-I understand Enrique, but I have a major deal right now I simply can't- wait a minute..." I could hear Charlie trying to reason with our client in Italy, her choppy conversation filtered into the background.

Charlie had become so much to both me and the company over the past two years. She was our family first and our boss second. She put her heart and soul into every project she ever handled and this was no different. Her idea regarding the Reagan project was truly brilliant. When I'd gone to inform Nathaniel earlier, on our company landing the Reagan deal, he was surprisingly pleasant. I wasn't subjected to any one of his many insults or blatant dismissal.

Struggling to negotiate a different timeline with our client in Italy, Charlie tried to explain her situation again. "I won't be able to make it to Italy before the next six months. Please understand my situation Enrique, my husband won't be; how should I put this? A fan of the idea." Charlie's voice faded into the distance, allowing me to concentrate on the designs before me.

"These pillars are going to be a problem, the structure seems to be braced by it..." Nathaniel stated in his uniquely husky tone, studying the layout closely.

Hesitating, I considered offering my suggestion. Charlie had encouraged me to put my architectural design knowledge to use, giving me an opportunity to finally utilise the degree I'd acquired four years ago. "Not completely." I mumbled, deciding to test the waters first. When he didn't immediately shut me down, I continued. "We could remove some of them and then replace those with industrial braces, portable shoring scaffolds, it'll be hidden once we fit in the internal walls." Bitting my lower lip, I watched the design nervously. "It...it should also give us a few more inches of leg room." I added, holding my breath and awaiting his brutal rejection of the idea.

A small crease formed between his eyebrows as he considered the suggestion. "Yeah...yeah that could work." He mumbled, erasing the walls he'd already drawn in. Floored by how amicable he was being, I smiled— secretly thrilled by his approval. Setting a sheet of clear tracing paper over the original blueprint, he expertly traced the plans without pillars. I couldn't help but appreciate the way his business shirt stretched around his lean, muscular arms. Noticing what he was sketching, I caught his wrist abruptly.

"Not that one, these six can be replaced with shoring scaffolds; we should leave the outer ones, to ensure stability." He nodded eyeing my hand. Removing my hand I prepared for his anger. Shockingly, he continued to sketch in the pillars. His decency was a welcomed change from his other wise unpleasant attitude. I noted how his jaw worked subtly beneath a sexy layer of stubble.

"Okay, both of you forget about the Reagan deal." Charlie's words had us both standing to attention, to say that we were confused was an understatement. Glancing at Nathaniel I gauged the obvious prick of irritation he did little to hide. This tended to be his general attitude when someone disturbed him while he was in his zone. "Pack your things, both of you." I opened my mouth to say something but couldn't seem to form a single syllable. Were we being fired? Closing my mouth I remained silent.

Nathaniel scoffed. "Please, we both know you'd never fire talent like mine." Laughing once, he dismissed her. Anxiety carved its way down my spine. Nathaniel's cocky arrogance wasn't a match for Mrs Quinn's, she had after all tamed the most sought after bachelor in New York.