Finding the Missing Piece: Bo...

By cogdill

Katniss and Peeta Mellark are currently living a rough life, but in all reality it's not all that bad and wil... More

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Nintey-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Nintey-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter One-Hundred
Sequel Info.

Chapter Eighty-Three

1.9K 121 60
By cogdill

Katniss POV-

I heard everything Peeta said and everything she said too, all of it.

So when he comes back to bed, I tell him I'm still awake because I want him to know I'm proud of him for what he said.

"I know you are." He says, facing me as he crawls back into our bed, at about half past midnight.

"I heard everything that was said too."

He sighs, "Is there anything I have to apologize for?"

I turn to face him too.

"Nothing." I say.

I can only think of one thing to say about it all anyways, so I tell him.

"Thank you for loving me so much, Peeta." I mumble quietly to him.

He smiles sadly, "Someone has to." He teases.

I let out a laugh and shrug my shoulders.

"And thank you for loving Willow as much as you do."

Peeta reaches across, sticking his hand on the side of my belly and patting it gently, rubbing it back and forth, making her move.

"My girls. I love you both more than either of you will ever know." He tells me, but I do know the depth of his love for us and he knows mine for both of them.

"Why do you really think she came?" I ask him curiously, wondering if he either knows something I don't or has a theory on it.

Either could be a real possibility.

He takes a really deep breath, "I don't know, baby. Maybe she will come around by morning. Maybe she will change her mind and want to see us. Maybe seeing you pregnant with her grandchild will change something in her." He says, moving his hand to my arm and giving it a squeeze.

"But I want you to tell me why I should talk to her? I don't want to and if she doesn't want to have anything to do with me or Willow or you, then why should we?" I ask him quietly.

He sighs.

I can tell he's trying to muster up a reason because honestly there isn't any good reasons.

Why see me one last time so you can break my heart some more?

"I think you should because it could be the last time you see her. Despite everything she has done, I don't want you to ever regret it if you don't." Peeta mumbles to me.

I nod my head, "Then I'll see her but I won't be happy-go-lucky about it. She's screwing us all over." I say back to him.

Willow won't have any grandparents, besides Peeta's and that would make them her great-grandparents and great-great-grandma but still, my mother is alive and perfectly capable of being in her life but refuses.

It's ridiculous and some of the worst hurt she's put on me.

I don't even care if she doesn't want a relationship with me, I know I've never been the favorite daughter.

She expected Prim to be the one with a family, not me.

I was suppose to be grumpy Aunt Katniss to Prim's children and my mother was going to love them.

Now that it's been robbed from us, it's like she can't stand me or the fact that I changed my mind.

And maybe she's mad at me for having everything Prim will never get but I didn't take that from her.

Prim wanted all of this for herself and me but I know that now since she can't have it, it's up to me.

I know deep down in my heart, Willow is a gift from Prim and my father.

They knew that Peeta and I needed her and now, I'm just curious as to why my mom denies needing Willow too.

Willow was also a gift for my mother from them, I just know it but she won't believe it.

"Agreed, but I can see some of her reasoning but again, I don't get a lick of it. We have all been hurt, it would help us more if she was here while she could be. Who cares about the future? We need to focus on each other now, before we're done. I already know Willow is going to be sad when she dies whether she knew her or not and so are you and I." Peeta explains.

I think that much is true.

If Willow is anything how I imagine her, she's going to have a big, soft heart like Peeta and sometimes that gets you hurt but she can't help it and neither can he.

I was given the cold, selfish heart like my mother, in a sense, I guess.

"You should sleep. I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight. Too much on my mind but you need some." Peeta says, getting more comfortable next to me.

He sprawls his arm across the pillow and I lay my head on it and scoot as close as I can to him, but not very close because our baby gets in the way.

"You know me." I laugh.

Neither of us will be getting much sleep tonight.

"Then we get to hold each other all night." He says.

I snuggle into his neck.

"I still need to get her one thing." Peeta says.

"Who, Willow?"

"Yeah."

"What is that?" I ask him curiously.

What more could this kid possible need?

"I want to get this basinet that hooks to the side of our bed."

"I kind of like that idea and then she doesn't really get use to sleeping in our bed, because I hate the idea of her being anywhere for a long time but in here but I don't want to risk anything by having her sleep in our bed." I explain.

There's things like sudden-infant-death-syndrome that is linked to co-sleeping and over dressing the baby.

That'll be my absolute biggest fear the first few years of her life, I know that for sure.

Dr. Coles has talked to me about it before and it scares the hell out of me.

I haven't told Peeta about it though, he would go crazy.

I am going to be worse than I am with Carter and Finn on waking up and making sure they're still breathing or the blanket isn't in their face or anything like that, it all scares me too much.

"I like the idea of having her on the side of one of us, then." Peeta says.

"Me too. I know she's going to end up in our bed sometimes but I just want this to still be our thing at night." I say.

Ever since we've been able to sleep together, I've slept in his arms, with my head on his chest, where I can listen to his heart and breathing. I can still somewhat sleep like this but it's not a good position to sleep in with Willow the way she is.

"It's whatever you want." He tells me.

I nod, "Is she in the guest bedroom...?"

He shake his head, "No. I am not sure if you heard me gripe her out for it?"

I laugh, "Maybe I missed that." I tell him.

"I just told her it was ridiculous she left that on you, when being in the house for you was already somewhat scary for you." He says.

And that's exactly right, it shouldn't have had to be my job or Peeta's job to clear her room out, it was my mother's and it's another thing she put on me.

"I also may or may not have mentioned Buttercup, I am not sure if she knows about him."

I laugh a little, "She doesn't but she's not taking him and she can figure it out for herself, if she would've called, I would've told her." I say.

Peeta sighs deeply.

"I never thought that I would say this but if she even asks to take the cat, I'll be pissed."

Peeta chuckles, "She won't want the cat, Sweetheart."

I'm scared she will take the last thing I have of Prim.

"But she's more than welcome to take Prim's things. I would love them but I can't look at them without crying."

"I can ask her to take it all if you want."

I nod my head, "Please?"

He presses a kiss to my forehead, "Don't worry. If she doesn't want to, we can put it in the storage building so you don't have to see it."

"Thank you." I say.

She's made this a thousand times worse than it should've been for me, by doing the things she's done. Leaving us when my dad died, leaving me when Prim died, both mentally and physically, leaving Prim's room in tact. Coming to my wedding only for her to not speak to me for months.

Coming here tonight.

I'm not saying it's a good thing to have my husband yell at my mom, but I can't say anything without destroying her feelings and breaking down. And he's not necessarily yelling at her, he's just being truthful. Actually, he's keeping more calm than I could ever be. I have no patience and no respect for her anymore.

I hate my mother's attitude and way of thinking, I don't get it.

I never have and I never will.

If I was in her shoes, I would at least keep in contact. I'm the only daughter she has left and Willow is the only grandchild she has and will be the only one for a long time if I can help it.

"We better at least attempt going to sleep." He mumbles to me, pulling the covers up over us both.

I lean down and kiss his bicep, "I love you, Peeta Mellark."

He squeezes me tightly, "I love you too, Katniss Mellark."

I smile like an idiot to myself, "Merry Christmas."

"Sweetheart, it's not Christmas anymore." He teases.

"Oh, hush!" I laugh.

He chuckles, "Goodnight, my loves."

"Goodnight." I say, holding his hand and pressing my other one to my belly.

Despite the last hour, today has been amazing and I decide that I'll just talk to her in the morning and hope for the best.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.1K 692 22
"My name is Peeta Mellark." "I am seventeen years old." "I am in love with Katniss Everdeen" "She betrayed me." "I was in the Hunger Games." "I've be...
140K 3.2K 27
This story is based on after Mockingjay. This story is all about the Epilogue. And we all know what happens in the Epilogue. This fanfic takes place...
30.8K 1.1K 28
Peeta Mellark- Was an Alpha at only twelve years old. Has a little sister Primrose. She's all he has less of a family and the only thing he cares abo...
32.1K 1.4K 29
Katniss Everdeen was always a normal girl. As simple as that. She was smart, but not overly smart. She was pretty, but not overly pretty. She was jus...