Something Worth Living For (W...

By nikkichicky

Allison Warner was head over heels in love with her ambitious sport journalist boyfriend, Eric Denton and cou... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
(CH 9)Something Worth Living for
Chapter 10 Something Worth Living for
Chapter 11 Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 12) Something Worth Living For
Chapter 13 Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 14) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 15) Something Worth Living For
(chapter 16) Something Worth living For
(Chapter 17) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 18) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 19) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 20) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 21)Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 22) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 23) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 24) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 6

85K 1.3K 208
By nikkichicky

CHAPTER 6

Allison stood clutching Chloe to her. She watched Eric with anxious eyes, waiting for him to blow at any moment. It was hard to read his expression. Allison couldn’t tell which Eric was more, shocked or angry. There was one factor that she couldn’t mistake and that was realisation, the one expression Allison feared the most.

It was as clear as day that Eric could see that Chloe was his daughter. If her age didn’t give it away, her looks sure would have. For heavens sake the girl looked exactly like her father, there was no denying it.

Allison kept her eyes trained on Eric, all the while rubbing her hand soothingly up and down Chloe’s back. She felt her little girls’ breathing slow and knew it wouldn’t be long before she once again fell into her deep sleep.

Eric hadn’t moved, hadn’t made a sound and Allison wondered it he’d lost his mind. She knew seeing Chloe had to be a shock for him, but his non-existent reaction was really starting to freak her out.

She thought about going over to him and tapping him to see if he was still in his body or even calling out to him. But she thought better of it. Maybe this was a better reaction to deal with, even if Eric was standing there in a zombie like fashion. It could be worse; she surmised, he could be yelling, glaring at her with murder in his eyes. But then again, maybe that was still to come.

Chloe shifted in her arms, turning her head so that only her hair could be seen by Eric. This seemed to break the spell that had hold of him and when he finally turned his piercing gaze on Allison, she suddenly wished she could have the zombie Eric back, because the look he sent her was beyond deadly.

Allison swallowed hard, mentally preparing herself for what would come next. She had pictured this moment over and over in her mind for what seemed a million times, each a different scenario, each with him either blowing up in her face or being too astonished to even remember to be angry. But in truth, neither of the million and one scenes she now played over in her head could prepare her for this.

 “Is she-? I’m I her-?” Eric paused as he tried to ask each question, unable to complete it each time. He paused for a moment, as if gathering his thoughts and then finally seemed to find the right question to ask.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Eric looked stricken and it torn at Allison’s heart to see the pain reflected in his eyes, “How could you not tell me?”

Allison said nothing. It’s not that she didn’t have the answers to these question, she did. She’d gone over the possible ones he would ask and those two were definitely on her list. But at that moment she just couldn’t seem to find her voice. Her mouth felt drier then the Sahara desert. All the courage she’d built up earlier had faded and now all she could do was stare at him with a mouth full of teeth.

“Answer me, Allison.” He demanded his voice louder than before.

He was losing his temper with her and she knew it.

When she said nothing, Eric opened his mouth to demand an answer again when she stopped him. Allison knew she had a lot of explaining to do, but she wasn’t about to do it in front of her sleeping daughter, who had no idea that the man she had been looking at, before she’d drifted off to sleep, was her father.

“Wait, please,” Eric eyes grew wide at her refusal to answer him, but she hurriedly explained before he could say anything, “Not in front of Chloe. I don’t want to scare her. Let me put her down first and then you can yell at me all you want.”

Eric’s eyes seemed to soften at the mention of his daughter’s name, his eyes drifting back to the sleeping figure in Allison’s arms and with a curt nod, he gave Allison approval to put the sleeping child to bed.

Allison didn’t hesitate and turned on her heel, heading for Chloe’s room. She carefully placed her in her bed and pulled the covers over her sleeping form. She tucked the little girl in, brushing her hair out of her face and then placed a soft kiss to her cheek.

She stood there for a while, just taking in the sight of her innocent, beautiful daughter, finding peace in her. Chloe was her everything, and if push came to shove, Allison knew she would do everything humanly possible to keep Chloe with her, to keep her safe.

But was Chloe safe from her father?

She knew that Eric wouldn’t intentionally do something that would hurt his own flesh and blood. At least the Eric she remembered from so long ago. But that Eric was gone and was now replaced with the hardcore, adult Eric Denton, who at the moment, waited for her to answer some of his questions.

Taking one last look at her girl, Allison stepped out into the tiny hallway, and leaving the door ajar, in case Chloe needed, she turned and walked the short distance to her living room.

She saw Eric standing by the mantel of the fireplace looking at all the pictures that lined the wall above it and at the ones that stood upon it. The wall had been plastered with many pictures of her and Chloe, Jen, Paul and the twins, as well as her own family. Eric picked one up and Allison could see it was one of Chloe at her sixth birthday party they’d held in their backyard.

She saw the frown that knotted his brow. He still had the hurt look in his eyes. But she honestly couldn’t blame him. To him all these photographs represented the many birthdays or significant moments in Chloe’s life that he missed out on and this only made Allison guiltier than what she was.

“I missed so many birthdays, her first steps, her first words, her first day at kindergarten.” His voice was hoarse with emotion and he gave a mirthless laugh, “And who knows what else I missed. So tell me Allison, what exactly were you thinking when you decided not to tell me about my own daughter, because she is my daughter right?” His voice had raised and he accusingly glared at her, “Of course she’s my daughter. She looks exactly like me.”

Allison flinched at the anger in his voice. She knew he had every right to be hurt and furious. She just felt so weak and small standing there under his gaze. All these years she’s had to build up her confidence and with one sentence he was able to break those defensive walls down.

“I’m sorry.” She croaked in a whisper.

“I – I couldn’t hear you,” he shifted closer to her, mockingly turning his ear in her direction to clearly hear her words, “what did you say?”

She knew he was mocking her, but she answered anyway, “I’m sorry.” She said a bit louder.

He started laughing then, but it was humourless, “You’re sorry. No, I’m sorry for ever loving such a cold hearted woman.”

That stung deeper than she was willing to let him see. The tears welled up in her eyes, but she blinked them back. She wouldn’t let him see how much he affected her. She was stronger than this. She had a weapon against his wrath and it was anger too.

“You’re right; I am a cold heart woman. But who was the one that made me that way?”

Eric’s eyes were alight with fire, “Oh, so you telling me that I’m the one to blame for you not telling me that I was going to be a father.”

“Yes, partially you are. If you hadn’t left me that day, I wouldn’t have been so angry with you for leaving and I would have told you everything.” she justified, “Heck, if you hadn’t interrupted me that night in the restaurant I would have told you.”

Eric was silent for a moment, his mind racing back to that night in the restaurant when he’d told her about the job he was lined up for. He remembered how beautiful and glowing she’d looked. She radiated happiness and he had wondered why. He also remembered the fact that she’d wanted to tell him something, but had decided against it.

His eyes grew wide then. The whole reason she’d been acting so weird that night wasn’t only because of the fact that she wanted him to stay in LA with her. She wanted him to stay for them both, her and Chloe. But how was he to know that when she hadn’t said anything. Not even a hint was dropped his way. She’d given him the cold shoulder then entire weekend, which had ended in catastrophe for them both.

“I knew there had to be a reason for your sudden change in behaviour.” He said once realisation had sunk in, “I knew you weren’t keen on us being apart. But I never knew that Chloe was the reason for the extent at which you anger seemed to stretch.”

Allison felt a shiver run down her spine as Eric said Chloe’s name. He was right of course; the main reason for her anger had been because she had been pregnant at the time. She was, however, willing to forgive him until he’d uttered those harsh words which till today stung her.

“Yeah, I’d been emotional that weekend and your leaving hadn’t made things easier.”

“Oh no,” he shook his head, “You’re not turning this on me. I’m the victim in this story. Our daughter and I. Our daughter, Allison.” He looked hurt again, the anger seeming to fade into the background, “Did you hate me that much that you kept her a secret from me for almost eight years? Was there any love for me in your heart when I left?”

“Of course there was Eric. There was plenty of love. I was just hurting so badly at the time. But I forgave you Eric.” She replied.

“You might have forgiven me, but obviously not completely. In all that time that you forgave me, you could have picked up a phone Allison, called and told me everything. You could have told me to come to LA if you wanted to do it in person and I would have hopped on a plane so fast just to be with you, just because you called. But you never did.” He looked at her for a long time, the silence thick with static with all the electricity that charged between them, “I waited for that call, waited a long time before I gave up hope and had to face the fact that you didn’t want me anymore.”

A single tear slipped down her cheek and she dabbed it away, “I was planning on telling you everything. I just didn’t know how, Eric.”

“You should have found a way. For goodness sakes, Allison, she’s my only flesh and blood, did you even think about that.” He retaliated.

Allison stood there silent, feeling utterly ashamed of herself and her actions of the past few years. There had been countless times when she picked up her phone, dialled his number only to hang up, times when she started an e-mail only to delete it, or a letter only for her rubbish bin to be littered with unfinished letters of confession. If just once in those few years she’d actually let the phone ring until he picked up, or sent that e-mail or even written that letter, things would be different for not only him and Chloe, but for her as well.

“I wanted so badly to tell you, Eric. I really tried to find the words to say – to tell you all about her. But I think deep down part of me wanted to make you suffer like I did, I wanted you to hurt like I did.” She cried.

“Well you succeeded.” He said sadly and then in the same breathe he added, “You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.”

Allison was still reeling from his last statement as Eric placed the photo frame back in its place and with one last malicious glare; he headed for the door and slammed it behind him.

She heard his tyres screech as he pulled away from her house, her house she made a home for her and Chloe, and if Eric’s last statement was anything to go by, it didn’t seem as if he intended for it to stay that way for very long.

She knew she should call Paul, get his advice on the matter. But as she made an attempt to reach her kitchen, she found her legs wouldn’t move, nor had her eyes left the door which Eric had just minutes ago walked out of.

Her throat felt tight and her heart heavy with sorrow and fear. He eyes stung with the effect of not blinking and before she knew it, the gravity of what had just happened weighed heavy on her shoulders. She sunk to the floor, unable to make her feet more the few inches to the sofa and clutching at her throat, which was tight with emotion, she began to sob uncontrollably.

The tears flowed for what seemed like hours, sadness overtook her and she was afraid that she would never stop crying again.

After a few minutes, she was able to stop her wailing long enough to call Paul, who upon hearing her cries, informed Jen of her distress and had her driving to her place in the middle of the night to comfort her wounded friend.

Was there a way that she could bounce back from this?

***

Paul raced down the stairs at the sound of his front doorbell ringing constantly and then sound of angry repetitive banging. He knew who it was and was about to rip him a new one for the stunt he pulled tonight. Allison had been in hysterics when she’d called only a few minutes ago, sounding at the point of having a panic attack. Jennifer had tried her best to sooth her best friend over the receiver, but it hadn’t worked. So without any delay, she had hurriedly dressed and made her way over to Ally’s place.

Paul was within metres of the door, when Eric started yelling, “Open up, Paul Scott, I know you’re home.”

Paul swung the door open to see an enraged Eric standing on his porch. Without waiting for an invitation, Eric pushed past Paul, “Please, come in.” he said sarcastically.

Paul just about closed the door and turned to face his angry friend when his ear was barked off by his rant, “Why the hell didn’t you tell me about Chloe? All those times we spent talking on the phone you never thought to mention the fact that I had a daughter walking around who looked just like me?”

“Oh, yeah sure, that would have been an interesting conversation. ‘So, the game was great last time, saw you covering it, oh and by the way, you have a daughter’.” he said mockingly, “Yeah, I could see that conversation going down well.”

“Ha, you think you’re funny. But it’s not funny when you know all about you kids. I had no idea Chloe even existed.”  Eric yelled at the man he had assumed was his best friend.

“Okay, one; stop yelling. I have two kids – as you’ve pointed out – asleep upstairs and two; done come into my house and yell at me.” Paul said with conviction.

Eric swore under his breath having forgotten about what time it was. Jen and the kids were asleep and his booming voice was disturbing them.

“Sorry man, I hope I didn’t wake Jen?”

Paul shook his head, “No, she’s not here.”

Eric raised his eyebrows at him. Jen didn’t seem like the type to be out this late, especially since she was a mother, “Where is? I didn’t take her for a party type after she became a mother.”

“She’s not,” Paul grumbled, “She’s over at Ally’s. After you left she called, in a fit of tears. What did you say to her anyway?”

Eric snorted, “You can’t seriously be falling for this tears?”

Paul just looked at him sternly.

“Apparently you both have. I mean, I get Jen, but you man.”

Paul held back the comment he so wanted to let out, “Those tears are tears of a concerned mother over the wellbeing of her child.”

Eric scoffed again, “Please, if she was so concerned why in the hell didn’t she tell me about Chloe?”

“Shh, will you.” Paul said and then ushered him into his study, where they could talk more privately. He went over to his desk and pulled out a bottle of whisky that he kept for those nights he truly needed one and looking at Eric, he knew his friend was going to need more than just one glass.

“Here, drink this.” Eric took the glass that Paul offered and downed the drink in one go.

He sank back into the leather sofa that stood by the fireplace and Paul took the seat opposite him. He poured them both another drink and then left Eric to his thoughts.

Eric’s mind was in turmoil. How had his life – in one day, less than twenty-four hours – gone from great to this hell hole? He still didn’t completely understand why Allison had done what she did. Yes, she’d said she wanted him to suffer, but even she wasn’t that cold that she would make him suffer for that long. But then again he had no idea he had been suffering and all the pain that had accumulated over these past eight years had only just now really been felt by him.

He had a daughter, a daughter. Chloe was his flesh and blood, the only flesh and blood he had. His mother had died years ago, when he was in university. Paul and he had become best friends and family once they both joined their fraternity, and once Jennifer and Allison had attended their university, his family had only grown. True, they weren’t his flesh and blood, but they were his family and after he left LA he lost a piece when he and Allison broke up. But Heather remedied her empty space soon enough and now… now Chloe was here, in his world and he couldn’t be happier.

He was still angry at Allison and was no way near done with her. he would get all the answers he wanted out of her, just like he would get Chloe once he won custody of her and made up for the time they missed.

“So, what exactly happened tonight?” Paul suddenly asked, breaking him from his jumbled thoughts.

Eric sighed, “I went over to talk to Allison and tell her about Heather, when Chloe walked out.” Eric could still see the tears that rolled down her rosy cheeks, she looked like her mother then, but there was mistaking that Chloe was the splitting image of him, “She looks exactly like me, Paul, exactly.”

Paul nodded thoughtfully, “Now imagine what Allison must have felt like everyday when she looked at her. There was no way she could escape you, because part of you is in Chloe.”

He had to agree that much. Allison must have suffered a great deal having to look at Chloe everyday, only to see his face, the man she once loved and who broke her heart.

“I called her cold hearted. But I there were worse things running through my mind, though.” He was quiet again and then in a one breath he added, “And I told her she would be hearing from my lawyer.”

Paul’s expression was one of horror, “Are you mad man. How could you say something like that to her? No wonder she was so hysterical on the phone.”

Eric stood and paced the floor. He knew Paul would be angry with him, but he had a right to know his daughter, but Allison had taken that from him.

“Look, I came over here to ask your legal advice. I’m still real angry at you for keep this from me. But you’re one of the best and I figure you would give it to me straight up. Even if you are Allison’s lawyer.” He added.

Paul chuckled lightly, “Of course I am.”

“And you’d probably do it free too.”

Paul just shrugged at his comment, “Look, you want my advice.”

“Yeah,”

Paul nodded and stood in front of his friend, “Then my advice would be don’t take her to court,” Eric grunted, but Paul just continued, “Talk to Allison, work something out with her.”

Eric whirl on him staring flabbergasted at him, “Talk to her? She lied to me for eight years, Paul. There is no working out anything.”

“If you take this to court, the best you’ll get is joint custody of Chloe. The court will take her side, because they wouldn’t want to tear a child from her mother. Especially since she is a good mother and all they’ll see is a father who hasn’t paid child support.”

“But I never knew she existed.” Eric defended.

“I know that. But do you know how many men say those exact same words in court. Trust me; you’re better off talking this out rationally with Ally.”

Eric let out a breath of frustration, running a hand through his sleek black hair. His thoughts weren’t as muddled as before and as he started to see things clearly, he knew what Paul said made a lot of sense.

“Look, I know right now you’re angry with Ally. But she really is a good mother. She quit school and only went back part-time once Chloe was old enough, so she could work half days to bring in money. That house they live in, all Allison. Jen and I, her brother, even her parents offered to help her out with the mortgage. But-”

“She wouldn’t let you help. I know. Ally was always independent, wanting to do things her way.” Eric finished, knowing Allison all to well.

“Yeah, that’s our Ally. She hasn’t changed that much. She’d been forced to give up certain things and I always wondered if she’d resent that fact, but when I see her with Chloe I know if given a chance she wouldn’t do anything differently. Well…” Paul added hurriedly, “except telling you the truth, of course.”

There was no denying that Allison took good care of Chloe and in the end Eric knew he could never take Chloe away from her. But he wanted to be a part of his daughter’s life and if talking calmly and rationally with Allison is what it took, then he would practice the best patience and restraint possible.

***

It had taken her a while, but after much convincing on her part, Allison was able to persuade Jen that she would be okay. Jen had found her at the kitchen table, still clutching the cordless phone to her person. The tears were still flowing freely down her face, but seemed to have subsided.

They however seemed to start up again once Allison’s eyes landed on Jen. She had consoled her to the best of her abilities and was in complete and utter shock when Allison – finally able to talk – told her exactly what had happened between her and Eric.

He’d been just so angry, so much more than she had ever expected. She knew that Eric would want to be a part of Chloe’s life once he found out about her. But talk of lawyers had her completely freaked out. Jen assured her that Eric wouldn’t make good on his threat and even if he did, the court would never give him full custody of Chloe, because Allison was in fact a great mother.

Once Jen had finally left, Allison crept into Chloe’s room. She sat in the rocker that she had since Chloe was a baby and watched the even rise and fall of her daughter’s chest.

There was no way she could let Eric take her away. She would go mad if a day like that ever came. She loved Chloe more than life itself and couldn’t picture her life without her in it.

She was still looking at Chloe, the chair rocking gently, when unbeknownst to her she fell asleep.

***

Allison woke to the sound of giggling. Her eyes were still shut but she knew it was Chloe and a smile crossed her face. For a moment, as she opened her eyes and saw her daughter sitting in her bed, watching her mother sleep in her rocker, Allison forgot all about last night and everything that happened with Eric.

“Good morning my angel.” She beamed.

Chloe got out of bed and came to sit in her mother’s lap, “Morning momma. Why are you sleeping in my rocker?”

Suddenly the events of the last twenty-four hours came flooding back. She felt her heart hammering in her chest and a knot form in her throat. She wouldn’t be sad, not in front of Chloe.

Allison smiled as best she could at the curiosity that shone in her daughter’s eyes, “Because you had a nightmare last night and I didn’t want to leave you.”

“Well, you kept the bad man away.”

“Bad man, what bad man?” Allison asked.

“The one Jimmy Lawson told me about.” Chloe confessed.

Jimmy was a kid who was in Chloe’s class.

“Well, you shouldn’t believe everything Jimmy tells you. You know boys usually do or say things like that because they like you.” Allison teased causing Chloe’s face to scrunch up in disgust.

“Boys, awe.”

Allison laughed at the funny face Chloe made. Clearly her daughter hated boys, something she was glad was still going to last for a long time. She just hoped she would be around to see when the boys phase kicked in.

The phone suddenly rang and Allison shifted Chloe into the rockers seat, then she headed for the kitchen. It was probably Jen or Paul calling to check in on her. But when a familiar male voice, that wasn’t Paul, spoke on the other end of the line, Allison felt the blood in her veins turn ice cold.

“Hello, Allison?”

“Hi,” she said timidly into the receiver.

“Look – err –” he sounded considerable calmer and Allison wondered if he had forgotten what had happened last night, “Look, I’m not calling to harass you or argue with you.”

“Then why exactly are you calling, Eric?” she found herself asking boldly.

“Because we need to talk, calmly, without the yelling.” He admitted.

Allison was silent for a moment, contemplating his words. Was this a trick, a way to get her to drop her defences? Because if it was, it definitely wasn’t working.

“If you’re trying to screw me over, Eric Denton, it’s not going to-”

“No-” he added strongly, “No, I just want to talk. No strings, no traps. Just you and me.”

Allison thought about it for a moment, “What about your lawyer, won’t he be upset about this private meeting?”

Eric knew she was fishing for information on whether he’d actually gone to his lawyer like he’d threatened to. After his talk with Paul last night, he knew there was need for that. At least, not until they talked. If she refused to let him see his daughter, then he would take legal action, which Paul had said wouldn’t be necessary, because Allison would let him see Chloe without a fight. He just hoped Paul was right.

“I didn’t see my lawyer. I figured that we could talk this out like rational adults. I was angry last night when I said I would take this matter to court. But my anger has faded somewhat.” He did seem calmer to Allison, but she knew deep down – and it might not be that deep – Eric was still angry with her and it would take some time before he forgave her.

“But,” he added then in a hasher, “I’m still furious with you. But I’m sure you don’t want to drag Chloe through a court case. So for her sake and ours, please meet me later to talk.”

Allison sighed in somewhat relief, “Okay, I’ll meet with you, so we can talk.”

***

I’M SO SORRY IT TOOK THIS LONG. As many of you know, I was busy trying to get my other story finished and then there’s exams… anyway. I had some free time and decided to give this chapter a go. Hope you enjoyed it :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 24.7K 39
Michelle doesn't want to think about her parents divorce. No more, then she already has. Michelle swears she will never let herself forget what her...
3.1K 239 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
65.7K 3.3K 41
There are things you need to know about Ally aka Allison Hart : 1) She's a hotshot lawyer with a hundred percent win record. 2) She must get marrie...
1.7K 206 22
Dani has been ordinary all her life. Considered a nobody of one of the lowest classes in society, and someone that the rest of the world doesn't even...