Something Worth Fighting For

By preciious-diamondz

What would you fight for? Your best friends, the people in your town, perhaps your country, or maybe even a s... More

Something Worth Fighting For Prologue
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 1
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 2
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 3
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 4
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 5
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 6
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 7
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 8
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 9
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 10
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 11
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 12
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 13
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 14
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 15
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 16
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 17
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 18
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 19
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 20
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 21
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 22
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 23
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 24
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 25
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 26
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 27
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 29
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 30
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 31
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 32
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 33
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 34
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 35
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 36
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 37
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 38
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 39
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 40
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 41
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 42
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 43
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 44
Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 45
Something Worth Fighting For Epilogue

Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 28

6.2K 21 4
By preciious-diamondz

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 28

“Music,” muttered Marian, thinking of things that would help distract Lachlan while Archer and his friends did their thing.

“Looking for something Marian?” asked Guy.

A smirk plastered on his face.

“Music,” she replied, trying to sound sweet. “For tonight.”

Guy laughed.

“Trying to suck up to his good side are we?”

Marian gritted her teeth.

She wanted nothing more than to punch him in the face, then finish it off by burying his head in some sand.

“I’m not sucking up, I just want music,” she said politely. “And why do you keep popping up like that...it’s really creepy.”

Guy shrugged.

“I’m stuck with babysitting you to make sure you don’t wander off. As for the music, there’s a collection in his office, if you’re quick to choose I’ll show you now,” he said, leading the way.

“Why do we need to be quick?” asked Marian.

Guy turned back to look at her.

“I don’t want to be stuck anywhere near you for more than I have to. Not only does it look bad, but it’d drive Lachlan crazy if he were to see me near you.”

“But you just said you need to babysit me.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean be around you. Just to keep an eye out and make sure you don’t try to escape. Lachlan doesn’t trust anyone with his prized possessions, aka you.”

“Don’t you trust each other as friends?” asked Marian, trying to find out more about the relationship Guy and Lachlan had.

“Ha, friends? No way, it’s called partners in crime and that’s as far as it goes. If I slip up I’m dead. Same goes for everyone here.”

“Why do you work for him then?” questioned Marian, determined to get to the bottom of who Guy was.

“Truthfully, I love the money and the thrill of it all. Killing people and stuff of that nature has always given me excitement,” he replied, opening the door of the study and pointing to the case of music.

Marian walked in quickly, confused at what she had just heard.

‘How can one man be so horrible? Getting excited from inflicting pain – Lachlan has some messed up people around him...but I guess that’s what happens when you’re insane like that,’ she thought, pulling out a few CD’s.

“Thanks,” she mumbled, quickly walking out of the room.

“No problem,” said Guy, shutting the door closed. “Now run along.”

Marian rolled her eyes.

He was probably being slightly kinder to her than he was this morning after her little threat.

                                                                    ***

“You’re back,” called Lucas, sitting amongst the boys for breakfast.

Archer came over to join them.

“Sorry, went for a morning jog and didn’t check the time,” he lied, not wanting to tell them what he’d really been up to, or thinking for that matter.

Seth passed him a plate full of food and gestured for him to sit down.

“Here’s a security card to swipe through the front door. Saves you kicking it in or something, just make sure you give it back to me,” said Lucas, placing the card on the table. “Leave it outside the gates, wedged into the tree closest to the left hand side of the gate.”

“Will do,” said Alex, committing it to memory.

“I can take a bit more time today but I’ve got to go deliver some letters soon, so I really can’t be super long,” said Lucas, looking down at the stack of envelops in his lap.

“Letters?” asked Archer curiously.

“Yeah, Guy was really defensive and wouldn’t tell me what it was about.”

“Just open one then,” shrugged Tyler, reaching over to grab one.

“Tyler don’t,” barked Alex. “You can’t open it, Lucas will get in trouble if he gives someone a letter that's already opened.”

“What about that one?” asked Seth, pointing at the first one sitting on top of the others. “It’s not shut properly.”

Lucas picked it up and studied it closely.

“You’re right, I reckon we could open this one up if we are careful.”

The sticky backed part of the envelop hadn’t been sealed properly, so Lucas could easily pull it back and take out the letter.

He unfolded it carefully and cleared his throat.

“Sean, I would like to inform you that the plans for the weapons shipment are in place. I am writing this to tell you we will be moving ahead with the deal and wish to get all our close friends involved.  Lachlan has rooms prepared at his house for you and the other guests, so we look forward to seeing you in the next few days. From there we will decide on how we will travel overseas to begin the shipment. Thank you for your patience.”

The boys were all silent, absorbing in everything they had just heard as Lucas slipped the letter back into it’s envelop.

“It doesn’t say when and where the shipment will take place,” said Archer, shaking his head. “We need to get into that vault. It’s our only chance to uncover what’s going on.”

“Yeah, good luck tonight,” said Lucas. “All the men are being sent out. I think I was one of the first to be allowed to leave. Just gotta deliver these letters.”

“Alright, you better go do that then,” said Archer, getting up to say good bye to Lucas.

The pair walked a couple of meters towards the edge of the clearing before Lucas turned to Archer. He reached into his pocket and pulled out Marian’s locket.

“A token from her to you. She still cares, and dare I say it...loves you. She wouldn’t admit it to me, but I can tell. Stay alive for her Archer – because soon enough she will need you more than ever. She can’t be expected to fight Lachlan on her own, especially with this weapons shipment.”

Archer took it off him gratefully.

“Thanks, and don’t worry. I won’t fail Marian.”

“I know,” smiled Lucas.

“Good luck mate, if I hear anything more I will contact you,” said Lucas, disappearing into the trees.

Archer looked back down to the necklace and rubbed it with his thumb.

                                                                    ***

Marian was busy setting up the room for her big night.

She had carefully chosen music that could be turned up a touch to block out any noise from down stairs. By now she had accepted her fate and was surprisingly relaxed, knowing what she did would not be in vain. When Lachlan and his organisation were brought to justice – then everything would be worth it.

She laid out some clothes on the bed and paired it with a matching silk-lace night gown to wear over top of it.

“Won’t need it until later,” she muttered, going back to the wardrobe to shut its doors.

“Next up, trying to turn off the security coding,” mumbled Marian, walking out of the room.

She could hear Guy telling some of the men down stairs they could go out until 2.30 am.

She hoped the alarm was easy enough to turn off – she didn’t want to have to go around trying to find another code.

She crept down a few stairs, then down passageway and through another door. She stuck her head around the corner and watched as Guy left to go outside with the other men. She took this as her chance and ran to the entrance and flipped open the alarm system.

Marian flicked all the switches from ‘on’ to ‘off’ and shut it back up.

“Remember, no coming back until 2.30 am!” she heard Guy’s voice ring from just outside the house.

“Crap,” she muttered, running out of the entrance way before Guy could open the door.

She could hear the door opening again and made herself run faster.

She raced back up the stairs, taking two steps at a time, just to make sure Guy didn’t come looking for her in a hurry.

                                                                    ***

“Okay, we ready to act out what we’re going to do?” asked Seth, getting into position.

“Ready when you are,” called Alex.

The boys had used sticks and stones to outline the different rooms that lead to the office. It was obviously on a smaller scale, seen as though Lachlan’s house wasn’t exactly on the small scale.

They made the trees around them Lachlan’s office, and they had to go through the different parts of the 'house' to get there.

“Trial one,” called Archer, watching them carefully.

Seth swiped the card through the ‘pretend’ slot and pushed the imaginary door open carefully. He walked in first to the stone-lined entrance way and went into the lounge, checking to make sure ‘no one was there’. He whistled for the others to file into the entrance.

“Okay good,” said Archer.

The boys were about to keep going when he added in something.

“Make sure you do it quietly tonight, Marian might not be able,” he choked on his words. “She might not be able to distract him the whole time. We can’t take him as a complete idiot.”

The boys nodded and continued to ‘creep’ through the invisible house, checking fake rooms as they went.

Archer felt his phone in his pocket buzzing and pulled it out.

“Keep going, I’ve just got to take a call.”

He jogged a few paces towards the camp table and pressed the answer button. The voice he heard next was one he hadn’t heard in a very long time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 6.6K 24
I bullied the nerd that was known as 'Freak boy' and other various names, little did I know that that would be my biggest regret...
8.5K 284 21
A story of star-crossed lovers couldn’t be more cryptic. When two gods Monaxia and Ari’el are captured by mad scientists bent on discovering the Secr...
4.1K 50 94
Growing up , learning from your mistake , trying to find out why your having weird feelings for a friend and dealing with complicated things life thr...
1.7K 52 15
What would you do when you wake up on your birthday to find your parents gone? Midnight didn't know how to react. Men came for her and she listened t...