Finding the Missing Piece: Bo...

By cogdill

Katniss and Peeta Mellark are currently living a rough life, but in all reality it's not all that bad and wil... More

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Nintey-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Nintey-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter One-Hundred
Sequel Info.

Chapter Sixty

2.3K 132 41
By cogdill

Katniss POV- (Later that day, about 8pm)

"I'm freezing." I complain to Peeta, just as I've been doing since noon when the power went out.

"Just try to relax. We have the fire and a lot of blankets. I know it's cold but just try to relax." Peeta says, I can tell he's just as miserable as me but still.

I put my cold hands in his and he canopies his big warm hands in mine, blowing warm air onto them with his mouth and rubbing them warm.

I close my eyes and lean my forehead against his chest as he rubs my back softly.

"It's really cold." I complain again, not knowing what else to say.

"Yeah, it is. You'd think that 8 hours has been long enough to get the power back on." He says.

"Good thing we got the Christmas stuff up before this." I say.

He laughs a little tiredly, "Yeah but I guess since the power is still not on and we have fifty blankets, a fire and we are still freezing, I guess we will just have to cuddle."

I laugh, "Can you scoot the couch a little closer to the fire place?"

Peeta chuckles, "Oh you can't sleep on the floor now?" He teases me.

"No, but you can." I laugh and playfully push him.

"How are we gonna fit?" He jokes.

"Ha ha, Peeta." I roll my eyes and stand up with his steady hands helping me.

He moves the couch to wear it's a little closer to the fireplace, even though the window right next to us and the front door just a few feet behind, helps nothing but it's all we have.

"How do you want to lay?" Peeta asks me.

I shrug, "I can't lay on my stomach and I can't really lay next to you." I groan.

"How about we try it like normal?" He sighs.

"Fine. It's worth a shot." I say and he lays down.

He scoots as far as he can into the back of the couch and helps me lay down next to him, we sort of manage.

"You'd think they would have this fixed by now." I roll my eyes.

"The roads are terrible, Katniss."

"But still." I complain.

He sighs deeply and wraps his arms protectively around my belly, she moves a little bit.

I've noticed she's not as active this time of day/night.

"Are you okay?" Peeta asks me, concerned.

He's asked me that about 100 times since the power has gone out. I know he's worried and I am a little too but she's still acting normal and it's not like I'm being frozen to death but it's still really really cold. I'm getting annoyed at it too.

"Yeah, just cold." I mumble to him, laying my head on his arm, staring right into the bright flame of the fire.

He rubs my belly slowly, in little circular motions.

"I love this." Peeta says softly.

I take a deep breath, "What do you mean? The fact that we are freezing or what?" I laugh a little.

"No. Not that. Just relaxing with you, just not under these circumstances, you know what I mean?" He asks.

I smile to myself, "I know what you mean. I like it too."

He kisses the back of my neck and warmth spreads through out my entire body.

"Stop." I laugh.

"What?" He asks, holding me closely.

"You're making me warm and not in a good way." I laugh, kind of embarrassed.

Peeta chuckles breathily in my ear, "Hey, that's a good way to warm us up." He jokes.

"Stop." I laugh, turning my head and kissing his jawbone.

He moves his head and kisses my lips.

I smile into the kiss and he does too.

We break away a few seconds later and smile at one another.

"I love you."

I laugh and shake my head, repositioning it on his arm, "I love you too."

"I just wish that sometimes, we could be like we were a year ago but not change having Willow." Peeta says.

I sigh, knowing exactly what he means.

I've been craving for that closeness again so bad lately.

It's not that we aren't still in love or as close but we sure as hell aren't as lovey-dovey as before.

Not even close, if anything, I think we've been more distant than we have ever been.

"I'm really sorry it's changed so much." I mumble.

He squeezes me tighter, pulling me closer to him.

"It's mostly my fault." He says.

"No, I think it's both of our faults." I say.

He sighs deeply and kisses my cheek.

"It's crazy to think that in a year so much has changed. I mean you're six months pregnant, Katniss. I really didn't think that was going to happen." He goes on.

"Me either but I'm glad it did, Peeta." I say staring at the fire.

He rubs my baby belly some more, making Willow move a little bit inside.

"Me too. It's the second best thing that's ever happened to me." Peeta mumbles to me.

"What's the first?" I ask him, knowing his answer.

Peeta breathes heavily and let's out a breath, "You."

I feel my face heat up, even though I knew he was going to say that.

"Mine too." I say softly.

"Why isn't she moving a lot? Usually she's moving all the time." Peeta asks, I can feel his body tense up.

"She usually isn't very active around this time. I promise you." I tell him truthfully.

I like to think she's getting power naps in so by the time I go to sleep, she is wide awake and keeps me up.

He lets out a relieved sigh, "Sorry, it's just hard not to worry about you."

"It's okay to worry about us, I know I get frustrated sometimes but I don't mean to. Everything just gets on my nerves lately."

Peeta laughs a little, "If you didn't have a horrible husband then maybe you wouldn't have to worry either."

"I don't have a 'horrible husband.' I have the best husband in the world." I tell him truthfully.

Even though he makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes, I still love him more than anything and he's still the best man in the world. He's still the best husband imaginable, and he's made mistakes but so have I.

"I just wish I could be better and wouldn't have made so many mistakes." He mumbles to me.

"I've made a lot of mistakes too, Peeta. Before and after we got married."

I yawn sleepily, "But I know you love me and that's more than I could ask for. You've given me more in three years than any one could've in a lifetime." I tell him, kind of fumbling with my words.

"And you've done that and more. You're giving me a baby, Katniss. I couldn't be more grateful than for that, you don't even understand." Peeta says, squeezing me reassuringly.

I smile a little to myself.

We stare off into the fire and suddenly, chills rack his body.

"I wish the power would come back on." He says, shivering.

"It's like -10 outside." I say, looking at my phone.

He sighs, "Hopefully Carter and Bristol are alright."

I sigh, "I could call and make sure. I should've called earlier."

"Maybe we are the only ones without power? I'm sure she would've called if not." He laughs.

I shrug and dial her phone number.

(On the phone with Bristol)

"Hey, Kat."

"Hey, is your electricity out too?"

"No, why? Is y'all's?"

I laugh, "Yeah it's been that way since noon."

"Goodness. Do you guys need to come over? I don't have a bedroom open but it's at least warm and there's a couch. Y'all could sleep in my room."

"No, I don't think that's a possibility with the roads but thank you."

"Yeah, they don't seem too safe or clear." She sighs.

"I think we will be stuck inside for a while." I say.

Peeta rubs my arm, making goosebumps form.

"Maybe not. Are you sure y'all are okay? It's really cold outside."

"Yeah, I think we are fine." I say.

"Okay, well call me in the morning."

"Okay, goodnight."

I laugh a little, "Goodnight, Kat."

I hang up and throw my phone on the floor and turn to face Peeta.

"What now? It's dark in here and it's cold." I complain.

"I don't know." He laughs.

"We are really boring people." I say.

Peeta chuckles, "There's only so much to do in the middle of a winter storm with no power."

"How were we before, anyways?"

I feel him smile against my skin, "Sappy."

I giggle, that we were.

"And we hung all over each other all the time." He says.

I sigh, "It's changed a lot but not much, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah."

"It is ridiculous how freezing it is. This fire isn't helping and we have like ten blankets on us and you're still freezing and I am too."

Peeta sighs, "You're sure you and Willow are okay? I don't want you getting sick or something from this."

"It's not like we can do much else. I feel fine. I just don't want to sleep because I don't want to die in my sleep." I say, revealing the fear I have for tonight.

That's my biggest fear of this all.

I know we are probably fine but I'm freezing cold and you're not suppose to fall asleep like that.

"It'll be fine. I'll keep you warm." He says turning on his side, pressing his body up against my back.

"I'm so tired." I say.

He rubs my arm and pulls the covers up over our ears.

"Please, just keep Willow warm." I say.

"Here, do think you can face me?"

I sigh, "Maybe, if I don't fall off." I laugh a little.

He helps me turn on my side to face him, my belly pressed up against him and he wraps his arms around my waist. I bury my face into his chest, breathing in his warmth.

"You still cold?"

"Yeah, a little. Are you?"

"Yeah, it's gotta be about the same as outside." Peeta says.

I groan, "And the wind blowing doesn't help."

Willow must've woken up because she starts moving, right as I get comfortable.

"I can feel her moving against my stomach." He laughs.

I laugh, "Feel my pain, Peeta." I groan playfully.

He chuckles, "You're such a beautiful pregnant woman, Katniss."

I scoff, "Quit lying. I've never looked worse in my entire life and I'm not very close to being at the end of my pregnancy."

Peeta sighs, "Whatever. You were stunning before but I just love this."

"What? Me being fat and more whiney than I was?"

"You're not fat."

I laugh at him because he didn't deny I'm whinier.

I look at the darkness as he conceals the dim light the fireplace brings.

"I've gained like 20 pounds." I complain.

Since I started eating all that junk food while Peeta wasn't cooking, I gained a ton of weight and just blamed my weight gain on that but I've gained a lot more since.

"And yet you're still pretty small."

"But my stomach is huge."

Peeta chuckles, "There's a baby in there."

"I know but still."

"I swear until the last few weeks, anyone who didn't know you probably just thought you had a really really good meal." Peeta teases me.

"You're an idiot." I mumble to him, snickers escaping my mouth.

"But I'm you're idiot."

"You are." I say, leaning forward in the warm air and pressing a kiss to his chest.

"Gosh, Katniss. I love you." Peeta says passionately.

I bring my head out of his chest and into the cool air, "I love you too." I say smirking, just a little.

He smiles at me in the dark, our faces being softly lit by the orange fire, we stare at one another a long time until I lean forward and kiss his chapped lips softly, they're cool, though his breath is warm against mine.

"Maybe this will warm us up." Peeta laughs in between pecks.

"I'm too tired and fat to do anything besides this for a long long time." I tell him, pecking his lips again and again.

He smiles in between the kiss, "As long as we make time for kisses like this, it'll be fine." Peeta says breathily.

"If I don't feel disgusting then maybe." I laugh a little, our lips moving in sync.

Peeta moves his hand off my back and puts it on my cheek, "You're still an amazing kisser." He chuckles, pulling me deeper into our kiss.

"So are you. After three years, I think you've gotten better." I laugh as he softly pecks the skin on my neck and chest.

"I've had lots of practice." He says, kissing my collar bone now.

"But nothing beats our first kiss."

He chuckles a reluctantly pulls away, "It was pretty good considering it was both of our first kisses."

I smile to myself, my face feeling hot but my body numb from the cold, "We have done almost everything together. First kiss, first time, first kid, first everything."

He smiles, "I'm so glad too because that means more to me than anything."

"Me too." I say truthfully.

I'm so happy that Peeta is here to experience it all with me.

To be someone's parent with me, I think that's probably one of the coolest things in the world.

We made a human and we get to raise her now, together and be her parents together. There's just something so significantly special about that to me, I just can't explain it.

I finally know why he's wanted it so badly all of his life.

It's truly something special we are doing.

"When Willow gets here, I think my life will literally be complete. I am not saying that I don't feel complete with you, because I do but it's like another missing piece I didn't know about. I guess it's like you said, we both had them and we didn't know." He explains.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2K 1.3K 30
In what used to be North America, the proud country of Panem now stands. The rulers from the Capitol hold a televised survival competition in which o...
248K 12.8K 101
Katniss and Peeta have experienced a lot together. There's been extremely good days and extremely bad days too, but each day they continue to grow to...
4.9K 161 60
Katniss is a rebel at her old schools but she got kicked out so she has to go to Panem high school where she meets her long lost best friend Finnick...
84.6K 2.2K 32
Katniss Everdeen- Divorced. Has a four year old boy. She just turned 25 Peeta Mellark- Divorced. Has a three year old girl. He just turned 27 What ha...