Bride

Bởi SwatiSandeep

In the shadows of a secluded town, three fates are about to entwine, setting off an emotional journey of love... Xem Thêm

-Dedication-
-Editor's Note-
-Characters-
-Teaser-
-Prologue-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 26-

1.7K 349 340
Bởi SwatiSandeep

Vivek's eyes blazed as Vikky told him what happened. Every word he spoke was a slash though his heart. He had left his child vulnerable and Mr. Birla took advantage. His hands fisted by his sides, when he did the same with him, he felt helpless. He prioritized his child over his own need to rebel and his happiness. Now that the very same child was targeted, his fury knew no bounds.

"I am sorry, dad." Vikky held him and pleaded. "I had to agree. I could not loose you. I....."

Vivek got up and walked away. He needed time to clam himself down. Vikky wanted to chase behind him but Khushi held his hand and stopped him.  When Vivek told her that he was blackmailed into leaving her and the country she did not believe him. She had no reason to believe him. Her father was her strength. He was her savior. She could not insult his love by trusting Vivek, but when Vikky said the same thing she could not even question him. The mother in her refused to unsee her child's pain. Not even for a second did she doubt her son's words. If things had been different and she had met Vikky for the first time, she would not have believed him, but she had spent time with the boy. She had read his letters. She had seen enough to shake her own rigid believes. She could be unfair to her child by not trusting him.

"You thought I asked him to blackmail you?" Khushi's voice was devoid of emotion.

Vikky looked at her. He could see the pain etched on her face. Like him she did not show her emotions. He was just learning that hiding the pain did them no good.

"You did not?" There was no hint of accusation only a straight forward question. Vikky was tired of accusations.

"You are my son, Vikky. I want you in my life. But I am not a fool. If I blackmail you into coming back, you will never love me. Love cannot be forced. I could could force you to do my bidding but I can never force you to love me back. Can I?"

Vikky looked away. That is what happened. When he was blackmailed he was filled with resentment. The resentment took over everything else.

Khushi made him look at her, she wanted to know the real damage that was done. "Did you leave anything out, did he tell you anything else?"

"No, you only wanted you to be happy. He wanted me to leave dad and come to you. That was his only condition." Vikky told her honestly.

Khushi nodded her head and turned away. She had too much to process. Her heart was shattering inside. She walked away. She could not stand there and face her child and Vivek. Her father, the man she admired all her life had betrayed her. He had destroyed her life, taken away her child and was now wrecking havoc in her child's life. When she was blindly admiring her father, Vivek was struggling to raise her son- their son. When she was blind with revenge, her son was fighting his own battles. She had left bother her partner and her son alone in the time of their need. Even now when she knew her father was wrong, she could not come to hate him.

Her eyes clouded with tears. She had grasped on straws when Vivek left her behind, now she had nothing to hold on to. The man who became her anchor was the reason for her troubles. She had nothing left to hold on, not the son she gave birth to, not the man she gave her heart to and defiantly not the man who fathered her. She felt lost.

She could not breathe. She needed fresh air. She opened the door and walked out, uncaring of the blizzard. The cold engulfed her but she did not feel the bite. The strong winds and snow made visibility impossible, but she did not care. She needed to leave. She needed to go far away, as far away as possible. Her son was happy before she came into his life. She could not take away the happiness. She had never given him anything, she could not just take away what he had. Tears spilled over. She wiped them away. She was the real villain of the story. What had she to cry for? She was the one responsible for her child's pain. She was the reason why her son hated her. She behaved like a cruel monster, how could anyone love a monster? 

The cold bit into her soft skin. She felt grateful. She needed the pain. She deserved much worse. She deserved to hurt as much as her child did. As much as Vivek did. She was too exhausted to walk. She did not know where she was going but she continued to walk aimlessly. When a pair of strong arms turned her around, she was too numb to react. Vivek held her gently and shook her. She was looking at him blackly. Vikky saw her walking away and tried to stop her, she was in no shape to listen. He came running to him for help.

He rushed out as soon as he told him. It took him a good fifteen minutes to find her. He was shocked to see her state. She was covered in snow. Her skin was turning bluish. He removed his jacket and draped around her. She had walked out without one. 

"Kya kar rahe ho, Ashi? Kaha jaa rahe ho?"

She gave him a glassy look. Vivek wrapped his arms around her. He shared her pain and agitation, but he knew what she felt was a thousand times worse. Being betrayed by a parent was a huge blow. She was going though a hell of her own. That was one of the reasons why he was reluctant to tell her the truth before. he alwyas knew how much Khushi loved her father. Even when he was forcing her to give up their child she believed in him. She never let him speak a word against the man. The man was her hero. When your hero betrayed you, it was not easy to deal with the betrayal. The heartbreak was unimaginable.

"Ghar chalo please, Vikky dar raha hai." He pleaded. She was too far gone for the words to sink in. The storm intensified around them. Vivek gently guided her back home. They were not too far away but the cold was too much to bear. he rushed her towards home where Vikky was waiting for them with Vedant.

They were shocked to see their condition. Vivek was covered in snow, Khushi looked far worse. Vikky hugged Khushi relived. For a moment he was scared. She had waked away without paying heed to his pleas. 

"Kaha chale gaye the aap mumaa?" He pulled back and looked at her. She was still in daze. Vivek helped her sit down. Khushi's condition scared him. Vedant went into the kitchen to prepare some coffee. They all needed it.

"Mumma kuch bol kyun nehi rahe, dad?" Vikky looked at his father worried, "Why is she not reacting."

"Give her some time Vikram. She just learnt that her child was blackmailed. It is not easy for any parent to deal with it."

Vikky looked down. He could feel his fathers disappointment and pain.

"I am sorry dad....."

Vivek shook his head, "You have nothing to be sorry for, Vikky. We could not protect you. That is on us. Not you."

"Nehi dad....."

Vivek patted his back. "I know what it feels to be blackmailed, Vikky. I know the trauma and helplessness. I know what you went though."

Vikky's eyes filled up. He felt humiliated. Vivek gently wiped the moisture away.

"But blackmail is a vicious cycle, beta. Once you give in, you need to give in to everything. You loose your self respect and your sanity. You loose control on your own life. Learn from your fathers mistakes. Don't repeat them. I would rather stay in prison than loose my child. Loosing you would kill me, bacha."

Vikky hugged him. "Please maat bolo aise. Please. I love you, dad."

Vivek held him to his chest and blinked off his tears. He wanted to be mad at Vikky but how can he be? He had done the same at 17. He looked at Khushi. She was the one who was paying the price for everything. He let go of Vikky and walked to Khushi. She needed to talk. Bottling up the pain would hurt her much more.

"Ashi, please look at me" He pleaded. Khushi did not react. Vedant came back with coffee. Vivek tried to coax Khushi to have some, but she sat there numb.

"Her clothes are wet, Vivek" Vedant pointed out. "She needs to change."

Vivek tensed. There was no one around to help her. She was not in a state of mind to take care of herself. She had spent 20 minutes in the cold. The wet clothes would hurt her more. He guided to his room and handed her a fresh set of clothes. She sat where he made her sit. Not reacting in anyway. Vivek sighed and closed the door. There was no other way of doing it. He closed his eyes and removed her sweater. He hated that he was touching her without her consent but at that moment he had to do it. Helping her change with his eyes shut was a struggle but he managed to do it. She had been denied too many choices in life. His heart refused to deny her the privacy that she deserved.

He gently guided her to the bed and covered her up. Her silence troubled him. She needed to talk. He knew she would not talk to him. So he called the one person who he thought could help. Veer was her fiancé, he hoped he would be able to help.

He did not have Veer's number so he called Veer from Ashi's phone. The number went straight to voice mail. 

Vikky came inside with the soup. He saw his father making the call and set the soup down.

"Doctor ko call kar rahe ho?"

"Nehi Veer ko. He needs to talk to your mumma. She needs to talk Vikky."

Vikky nodded his head and sat down. He held his mothers hand. They were cold to touch. He rubbed warmth into them.

"Why is his number switched off?" Vivek spoke out loud in frustration.

Vikky remembered the number Veer gave him. He reached for his phone and called Veer. he received the call on the first ring.

"Vikky? Are you okay bacha?" Veer's tensed voice came through. "Is everything fine, Uncle....."

Vikky could never forget the way he came to help him when he called. When he had no one to lean on he became his anchor. he was took quick judge him. He needed to apologize and thank him, but it was not the time. "Dad wants to talk to you, Mr. Mittal" Vikky cut him off gently.

There was silence from the other end. Vikky handed the phone to his dad. Vivek got up and moved away. He did not want Vikky overhearing the conversation. The conversation was bound to be awkward. he did not know how to approach his friend but he owed the truth to Khushi's fiancé. To say Veer was furious was the understatement of the year.

"How dare he" Veer yelled. "Vikky is only 17. How dare he hurt him that way?"

Vivek sighed. Veer was taking offense on behalf of Vikky. he was missing the real point.

"Ashi is very hurt, Veer" Vivek cut him off gently, "She loves her dad. She is..... I do not know how to help her. Can you talk to her please. She needs to talk, Veer. She is too silent. Only you can help her. Please. Help her" He could not keep the desperation from his voice.

There was a moment's silence. 

"Veer please...."

"She is my friend, Vivek. If you failed to reach her, I will be of no help. She never talks to me. She does not trust me."

"You are engaged...."

"Not any more."

"What?" Vivek was shocked.

"Vivek, Khushi should be the one telling you this, but our engagement was an eyewash. I am in trouble..... I need a wife..... She offered to help me out. I accepted because I did not have a choice. We called off the wedding the moment we saw Vikky. She needs her son, Vivek. If anyone can reach Khushi, it will be Vikky. She will not let anyone come closer"

Vivek had so many questions but he knew their relationship was too strained for Veer to answer the. An awkward silence followed. Veer was the one to break it, "For seventeen years she has blamed you for wrong reasons, Vivek. That created a rift between us. We hung on to each other but we could never become friends. I am sorry I will not be able to help. I will come over as soon as the storm stops. I will try my best, but I know she will not respond to me. Vikky will have much better luck. Talk to him Vivek. make him understand that Khushi was also a victim in the old man's hand. He has manipulated her for 17 years. No one can even imagine her pain. If i get my hands on the old man....."

"Stand in line Veer. I am not going to leave the man. He touched my child...."

"He hurt you too, Vivek. He hurt everyone. Khushi may love him, but he does not deserve her love or your understanding. He needs to pay for what happened. Make sure he regrets it, or I will finish the job for you."

"It's not your business, Veer..."

"Well you made it my business when you walked away taking away my family with you. You are not the only one who lost, Vivek. I lost too. Make sure he regrets."

The line went dead. Vivek looked at the phone and sighed. He could feel Veer's hurt but at that moment all he could think about was Khushi. His brother would have to wait. He made his way to Khushi hoping she would give them a chance. He saw Vikky coaxing her to have the soup and stopped at the door. His son was able to breach though the barrier. She was drinking the soup. Tears flooded his eyes. Khushi was a mother, she would alwyas make way for her child. he was glad Vikky was stepping up. He moved away silently, giving the mother child time to bond. Veer was right, Vikky was the only one who could reach her. He would have to trust his child to do the right thing.

Vikky fed her the soup and gently wiped her mouth. She looked so lost that his heart went out to her.

"Mumma, I know you are upset." He held her hand and pleaded, but can you talk? You are scaring me."

Khushi sat silent. Vikky sighed and hugged her. When she was behaving like a ice-queen he hated her attitude, but he hated seeing her like that. He wished she would yell or curse. Her silence was too much to take. Khushi did not respond. Her mind shut off all emotions. It was the only way she could survive. Vikky took comfort for sometime and pulled back. 

He helped her lay down and covered her with the blanket. He caressed her hair gently, "I know I have not been a good person to you. I was too angry to think about your feelings. You did not deserve what you got, neither did we. Please don't be like this. Please talk."

When she did not respond he pressed a warm kiss on her fore head and stepped back. he hated his grandfather for doing that to them. He wished he would pay in spades for hurting them.

The storm receded but left a disaster in its wake. Khushi condition worsened. Khushi did not wake up. Vivek and Vikky tried their best but she did not open her eyes. She lay unresponsive. Vivek called the doctor immediately. The doctor took one look at her and called in the ambulance. Her BP was falling rapidly. Pulse was very week. She needed urgent medical care.

She was rushed into the ICU as soon as she was brought in. The doctors were worried. She was too young to be facing  a problem like that. They could not understand the reason for her condition. Physically there was nothing wrong with her.

A psychiatrist was called in for evaluation.  He had taken one look at her and spoken to Vivek privately. He wanted to know what happened. He could not help her without knowing the truth. Vivek was scared about her condition to keep anything from him. He explained him the whole situation. The doctor listened silently and asked him to get Vikky inside. he needed to talk to them. Vivek and Vikky waited tensed as she explained them the situation.

"Miss Birla is going though a lot of emotional turmoil, Mr. Malhotra" The Psychiatrist an elderly man of sixty years explained gently. "She is not able to deal with her emotions right now. Her BP is fluctuating because she has lost the will to fight back. She has given up on life."

Vikky gasped. "She is 33 doctor, you cannot say that" His eyes filled up.

"You are her son right?"

Vikky bobbed his head.

"From what your father has told  me, she suffered a lot of trauma. Loosing a child is not easy for any parent. For a mother the trauma is much worse. Added to that she is now overwhelmed with grief. No one can understand what she is going though. Her pain is unimaginable. Her mind is being kind to her by shutting her off the reality. The more she thinks about what happened, the more she will suffer." 

"You cannot give up doctor" Vivek protested.

"I am not giving up Mr. Malhotra. Ms. Birla's age is on her side. Her BP is stable now. We know what is troubling her. It's not medicines she needs. It is not a Psychiatrist who can help her now. All she needs is her family. Her child. Love is the most powerful medicine, Vikram. Right now the only way to help your mother is to give her unconditional love. She will not be able to reciprocate in any way. She is in a place where words have become meaningless to her. To bring her back you need to show patience. You need to give her time to heal."

The doctor removed his glasses and looked at the father son. Teenage pregnancy was traumatic. That was the reason why children should be taught about boundaries. The family was classic example of that. Children raised by teenage parents often ended up being troubled, but he was seeing a healthy and active child before him. The kid showed no signs of resentment or bitterness. Neither did he act guilty. Every coin had two sides. Given the right guidance a teenager could become a good parent. He was learning that now.

"Right now the only person who can help your mother, is you Vikram. Spend as much time with her as you can. Take her home with you. Talk to her. Let her experience everything she lost with you."

He looked at Vivek.

"Show her pictures of your child growing up. Share memories. Stories that will help her connect with the child she loved. Be her healing, Mr. Malhotra. She does not need a partners love, she only needs your understanding. From what you told me, she must be blaming herself for putting you and your family though hell. Self blame, loathing, anger, resentment only hurt a person. These emotions do not help a person heal, they cripple them from the inside. You need to make her believe that she has nothing to feel guilty for. Help her, Mr. Malhotra. I can only write medicines, you and your son are her real healing. I suggest take her home now. Keep her away from all negativity. Behave normally. It will take time, but she will heal. DO NOT LEAVE HER ALONE for a second. She is not in the right frame of mind to deal with anything. Are you understanding my words Mr. Malhotra?"

Vivek paled. Khushi was a brave woman she would never.....

"She may be brave Mr. Malhotra, but she is shattered now" Vivek did not realize he had said it out loud. The Psychiatrist gave him an encouraging look. "All is not lost, Mr. Malhotra. If she cannot be brave for herself, her family can do that for her. I take it you are her family right?"

Vivek nodded his head. She was his family. He had let her go once, but now he could not. He could not turn away when she was so broken.

The doctor got up and left. Vivek walked out with Vikky.

"Mumma theek ho jayege na, dad" Vikky was scared. He had just met her. He was not ready to lose her.

"She loves you, Vikky. She will fight. Go be with her, I....."

He stopped when he saw Mr. Birla rushing towards them. Fury bubbled inside him. 

"Kaha hai khushi? Kya keya tune uske saath?" Mr. Birla grabbed his collar. Vikky saw red, before he could react, Vivek removed the old man's hands from his collar and pushed him back.

"Pehele jayee aur apne bete ke halat delh ke ayeye, Mr. Birla. You and me will talk then." His voice was stone cold.

"No dad" Vikky protested. "Yeh mumma ko nehi dekh saktey. Mumma has suffered enough because of him...."

"Let your grandfather see what he has done, Vikky. Let him face the consequences of his actions. Jaye Mr. Birla. Jake dekheye apne bete ke halat. Go and see what you have done to her."

Suryakanth was taken aback by his words. His cold demeanor scared him. he rushed inside to check on his daughter. Seeing her lay lifeless on the bed brought tears to his eyes. She was his only reason to live. He held her hand and placed a gentle kiss, willing her to open her eyes. She lay there un-responsive. When Vivek had called him to inform him that Khushi was in the hospital, he was shocked. He came to the hospital as soon as he could. His daughter was too young to be in the state.

He sat with her for an hour but she did not respond. he went looking for the doctor. What he said shook him up. His 33 year old daughter was in trauma. She was not fighting back. The information overwhelmed him. He did not know what to do.

He came out looking dejected and saw Vikky sitting with his daughter. He was taking to her softly. His eyes filled up. Her child was going though hell. He looked at Vivek who was waiting outside Khushi's room with his father. He was responsible for Khushi's condition. His child would have had a good life if she never met him. he was a curse on her life.

"Dekh leya apne bete ko, Mr. Birla?" Vivek confronted him. 

"Tum uske halat ke zimmedar ho Vivek" Suryakanth lashed out. "Wada keya tha na tumne ke tum kabhi laut ke nehi aoge?  I gave you 10 million dollars to stay away. Was the money not enough? Why could you not leave my child alone?"

"It was never money for me, Mr.Birla. It was about my child. I wanted my son safe. You should understand the emotion better than anyone else, Mr.Birla, Afterall you did everything in your power to keep your daughter safe."

"Don't you dare act like the money did not matter to you Vivek. 10 million dollars...."

"That I sent back to you immediately after  cashing the money i needed for Vikky's treatment. Don't you dare make me into a scammer, Mr. Birla. It is one thing to lie to your daughter, now you are lying to yourself?"

"You are the only lair here, Vivek. You cashed the money."

"I did Mr. Birla. I needed the money for vikky. But I wired you the remained 9 million dollars. I told you I only needed money for my child's treatment. I did not want a dime extra from you. Don't behave as if you do not know. The money was wired back to you 65 days later. I have transactions to prove. What are you trying to prove?"

Suryakanth was shocked. "You transferred the money back?"

"Eight million, nine hundred forty-nine thousand, one hundred twenty-four dollars. That was the amount i wired back. Before you ask, every penny i used was for Vikky's treatment. Nothing more. I took the money to save my child, Mr. Birla. I did everything in my power to save him, while you did everything in your power to destroy your own child."

"You are lying" Suryakanth took  a step back. He never found out if Vivek returned the money. His account took care of his financial details. He had only asked him if the check was cashed, when the account told him it was he assumed that Vivek took the money and vanished. He never believed Vivek when he told him that he would return the remaining money after Vikky's treatment. If he really did that, he was wrong. Vivek was not the gold digger he assumed him to be. he was not after his daughter for his money.

"When you blackmailed me seventeen years ago, I hated you Mr. Birla, but as Vikky grew up I realized that you did what you did to protect Khushi. As a father I could not unsee your efforts. But after what you did now, I cannot stop myself from hating you. Vikky is your own blood Mr. Bitrla. bacha hai woh. How could you blackmail him?"

Suryakanth looked shocked.

"Khushi knows?" He paled.

"Look at her, Mr. Birla" Vivek forced him to look at Khushi. "You did that to your daughter. Aaj apke wajah se woh is halat me hai. She survived when I walked away taking away her child. She loved me damn it, but I was never her hero. You were! How could you break her this way? Kya mila aapko yeh sab karke?"

Suryakant's eyes filled up. "I wanted her to have a good life, Vivek. I wanted her to have her child...."

"Vikky koi khelona nehi hai, jo aap jab chahe fek dey aur jab chahe uthake apne bache ke haat me rakhde. Woh mera bacha hai. I walked away from the woman I loved to save him, you thought you could take him away from me?"

Suryakanth took a step back. He never saw Vivek behave that way before. For the first time he felt intimidated.

"My child is not a pawn in your dirty game, Mr. Birla. You stay away from my child and Khushi."

Suryakanth gasped. "khushi mere bache hai....."

"Aur woh mere bache ke maa hai. Right now she needs, Vikky and Vikky needs her. They will both stay with me, till khushi recovers. You will keep your distance....."

"I will not....."

"Vikky is a minor, Mr. Birla. You blackmailed a minor. If I file a case against you, the system will not take it kindly. A crime against a child is a non-bailable offense. Blackmail in itself is a criminal offense. Cross me on this and I will make sure the whole world knows what you have done. You will not come anywhere near my child, or Khushi. Clear?"

"You cannot keep me from my child, Vivek. You have no right....."

"Neither do you, Mr. Birla. The day you blackmailed our child, you lost all rights on khushi. What kind of a father hurts their own child, Mr. Birla?" Vivek yelled in anger.

Suryakanth looked away. He felt helpless.

"Vivek calm down" Vedant pulled him back gently. He was furious with the man, but they did not have any right to decide on Khushi's behalf. She had the right to decide her relationship with her father.

"Let Khushi, recover Mr. Birla" He faced the man he detested the most. He did not have an ounce of pity or respect for the man, but he was still khushi's father. They could not deny him his right.

"She is going though a lot of stress. Let her heal. Once she is back on her feet, she can decide what she wants. Till then it is best if you keep your distance. You do not have to believe us, talk to the doctor. He will suggest the same."

Vivek walked away. If he strayed there he would do or say something he should not do. He needed time to clam down. Suryakanth collapsed on the chair. In a second he lost everything. His daughter was the most precious thing in the world for him. He could not loose her. He would fight for her. But how can he fight when he saw her in the condition. He felt dejected. His own sins came back to bite him. he had blackmailed Vivek into walking away from his child, now he was being forced to walk away from the very child to protect her. Karma was a boomerang. There was no escaping it. He was learning it the hard way.

Dear Readers,

Part 2 will be updated today if the target is done (EST time zone. Please remember that your night is still our day). Or the next update is on Saturday. The books have a schedule. I will follow them. I cannot prioritize one book over the other when both books are getting equal love. It will not be fair to other readers who are taking out time to provide feedback.

I will upload the cover for DAD and Heart's Melody today. The book that gets the maximum votes and comments on the character sketch will get regular updates starting March 22nd. 

Epilogue for this book will be posted on Saturday.

Happy Reading.

Aaradhna.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

96.4K 9.9K 28
A beautiful wedding turns to a disaster when the younger brother of the groom elopes with the bride's sister on the eve of the marriage. Two families...
6.5K 470 36
A girl who loved a boy since she knew the meaning of love. The boy who never looked at at her except an adoptive. Finally, after ages he started to...
147K 11.7K 17
A multicouple story!!! Parthavi Singhania & Ridhaan Malhotra Parthavi is nuisance, Ridhaan is deciplined and calm She is clumsy and he is perfect. Sh...
119K 9.8K 74
Avneet Kaur, a girl deeply in love with a boy , who betrays her for some fame... Now, in order to take the revenge she plans to be more famous then...